Conquer Club

The Evolutionary Tournament [Winner: Funkelee]

Tournaments completed in 2009.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 13 Feb 09)

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 pm

Some very interesting tournament trivia I just noticed:

Gilligan made it all the way to the finals of Bracket A before losing.

In doing so, he defeated The Cheat (his current opponent in the semis of Bracket B), Funkelee (another semifinalist) and Mustapha Mond (a quarterfinalist currently playing for the final semifinal spot).

As well, The Cheat (mentioned previously) defeated psychobkrazy, the other "live" quarterfinalist).

So of the five spots still living in Bracket B, none of them have lost to anyone but each other!

Apparently, that was an extremely strong Bracket A section! Yikes!
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 15 Feb 09)

Postby Funkelee on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:30 am

And I belive Mustapha has the current pearl harbor in the bag.....psycho has 1 army on one ship....over next round
Corporal 1st Class Funkelee

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 11 Feb 09)

Postby Funkelee on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:38 am

GeneralAnestetic wrote:the most unbalanced start ever:

game 4241517

sure, go first with a 5-army bonus...
that's fair

Holy frickin hell batman....no kidding that was an amazingly bad drop for you GA.

Postby BrotherWolf on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 am

Won Game 4249487vs Stoneylove
Sergeant 1st Class BrotherWolf

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 21 Feb 09)

Postby GeneralAnestetic on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:00 pm

the bracketing for this tournament makes no sense at all.
there's a guy who's played 10 matches & a guy who's played 3 and both are still active.
won't play this style again.
Sergeant 1st Class GeneralAnestetic

Postby Woodruff on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:47 pm

GeneralAnestetic wrote:the bracketing for this tournament makes no sense at all.
there's a guy who's played 10 matches & a guy who's played 3 and both are still active.
won't play this style again.

GeneralAnestetic, I've already explained this to you once (when you were complaining about it earlier in the thread). It actually makes PERFECT SENSE, you're simply not looking at it in a logical manner. It all has to do with the fact that this is a TRIPLE-ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT. Allow me to explain (again), concerning your current complaint:

The three-game player lost his first two matches of the tournament (one in Bracket A and one in Bracket B). That dropped him to Bracket C, where he won his first match AND HE'S STILL WAITING FOR HIS NEXT MATCH (who happens to be the loser of the Championship Round...meaning he's going to be forced to face one of the two players who have proven to be the strongest...that isn't exactly an advantage for him, you certainly should realize. Meanwhile, Gilligan has dominating the tournament, moving to the finals of BOTH Bracket A and Bracket B before losing in each (sorry, Gilligan <smile>). THAT explains why he has so many more games than Ode to Veeck.

This is really quite a simple manner. Rather than whining, why not ask for an explanation? It's really QUITE simple.

Postby GeneralAnestetic on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:03 pm

a) it's not whining.
2) the structure doesn't make sense because it doesn't reward success. a player who wins ten matches could lose out to a player who's only won 1 prior match. i'm all for triple elimination, but not in a format that is unbalanced.
Sergeant 1st Class GeneralAnestetic

Postby Woodruff on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:24 pm

GeneralAnestetic wrote:a) it's not whining.
2) the structure doesn't make sense because it doesn't reward success. a player who wins ten matches could lose out to a player who's only won 1 prior match. i'm all for triple elimination, but not in a format that is unbalanced.

My structure definitely does make sense and it DOES reward success, just not to the degree that you would prefer. That's where the byes into the second and third rounds of Bracket B and Bracket C come into play...those positions are earned by play in the previous bracket (or brackets, in the case of Bracket C).

As I explained in the opening post of my tournament, this format is precisely what is used in high school and college wrestling.

However, I do recognize a bit of what you're saying which is why in my second tournament (already underway), I also have a premium prize for the one non-tourney-winning player who ends up with the highest winning percentage in the tournament, as well. So the individual with the most wins will still get something, even if they blow it in Bracket C or in the Championship Bracket. In this current tournament, even though I don't have that, it appears likely that Gilligan would end up with that moniker...although there are a couple of other possibilities if Gilligan should "hiccup" here in the next game or so.

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 23 Feb 09)

Postby Funkelee on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 am

Sooo.....what if someone were to play to the end of a bracket, lose, start over, play to end of next and lose, then play up from bottom again and win out. Would they not most likely have the winningest percentage, and have one the whole thing, therby getting two years of premium(in your Evo tourney II)? Or would that not be possible?

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 23 Feb 09)

Postby Woodruff on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Funkelee wrote:Sooo.....what if someone were to play to the end of a bracket, lose, start over, play to end of next and lose, then play up from bottom again and win out. Would they not most likely have the winningest percentage, and have one the whole thing, therby getting two years of premium(in your Evo tourney II)? Or would that not be possible?

Good question! No...my "best winning percentage" goes to the best winning percentage not counting the tournament winner (I outlined it in the rules, because it made some sense that the tourney winner could well be the best winning percentage also).

Also, the percentage-winner doesn't get a full year, only a partial year.

I've started to wish I had done that with this tournament, since Gilligan has essentially done what you described above (except for winning it all, which is still in question).

And he probably hates that we keep talking about it. <laughing out loud>

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 25 Feb 09)

Postby Gilligan on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Winning percentage would be really nice right now. 8-[
Captain Gilligan

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 25 Feb 09)

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Gilligan wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Winning percentage would be really nice right now. 8-[

But Gilligan, you're doing so well in my other tournament that...oh, wait...never mind. <evil smile>

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 28 Feb 09)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Funkelee has advanced to the CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH against whoever comes through Bracket C. Congrats, Funk!

Re: The Evolutionary Tournament (Updated 1 Mar 09)

Postby Gilligan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 am

And Gilligan makes it to the finals yet again
Captain Gilligan

Postby Woodruff on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:25 am

Gilligan wrote:And Gilligan makes it to the finals yet again

Now let's see if you can do something with it! <laughing>

Though you've got a bit of a wait...three matches to go in the other half of the bracket.

Postby Gilligan on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:05 pm

*Is extremely nervous*
Captain Gilligan

Postby Woodruff on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Funkelee has won the championship match and will be awarded the ONE-YEAR PREMIUM PRIZE
as well as the illustrious (but still in production...should be available shortly) first-ever
awarded EVOLUTIONARY TOURNAMENT MEDALLION!

Congratulations Funkelee!

Previous

Return to Completed 2009