Rebs vs Yankees [Winners: danryan & Karl_R_Kroenen]

Tournaments completed in 2009.

Moderators: Tournament Directors, Global Moderators

Re: Rebs vs Yankees [3/32]

Postby owenshooter on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:08 am

Night Strike wrote:This tournament is based on a historical event

really? what part of "may the south rise again" is historical? your ignorance is laughable. but then again, you have made it clear you speak for team CC and i need to move along. this is going to be interesting. a mod that had declared that racism/bigotry does not exist and is in the mind of the offended, has declared a tournament with the tag line "may the south rise again" as being historical. wow... can you please direct me to the historical documentation where the south rose again, NS? you should leave this to someone objective to decide, and we both know that you are not that person.-0
Krazy gurls love Cool-0!!!!
Lieutenant owenshooter

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby neanderpaul14 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:35 am

owenshooter wrote:the rebel flag is illegal in many states, as it is sign of racism/bigotry. brett attempted to sign me up without asking me, and i do not wish to participate in this racist and bigoted tournament. furthermore, colton should be dealt with in C&A for this, because it is a clear violation of the bigotry guidelines. this thread/tournament was made out of ignorance for the feelings of others and the historical significance of the confederate flag. this should be dealt with immediately-0

p.s.-way to go colton, enjoy my foe list. first ever to make it.

Ummmm.....????? Could you please tell me which states the Confederate flag is actually illegal in?? I know it was removed from state buildings but was unaware it is illegal in any state.

High score: 2724/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Private 1st Class neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson
Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (13)

Postby Fruitcake on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 am

Staggering.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Rixilend on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:52 am

owenshooter wrote:
Night Strike wrote:This tournament is based on a historical event

really? what part of "may the south rise again" is historical? your ignorance is laughable. but then again, you have made it clear you speak for team CC and i need to move along. this is going to be interesting. a mod that had declared that racism/bigotry does not exist and is in the mind of the offended, has declared a tournament with the tag line "may the south rise again" as being historical. wow... can you please direct me to the historical documentation where the south rose again, NS? you should leave this to someone objective to decide, and we both know that you are not that person.-0

Dude seriously what is your problem? if you don't like it PASS IT because at this moment you are the ONLY and i repeat THE ONLY one talking about racistic and other crap things which are totally irelevant.

emo kid
Colonel Rixilend

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:54 am

Coop and I want our team name ot be SLAVE owners. Owners doesn't make any sense. I seem to recall slavery was legal in the US around the time of the Civil war. I want to reflect that in my team name.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Sergeant 1st Class jbrettlip

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby colton24 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:31 am

owenshooter i actually saw that someone else had done it and for the love of god someone do the north already im not from the north but im a bit suprised
Highest Rank: Lt | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!
Private 1st Class colton24

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby colton24 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:36 am

jbrettlip wrote:Coop and I want our team name ot be SLAVE owners. Owners doesn't make any sense. I seem to recall slavery was legal in the US around the time of the Civil war. I want to reflect that in my team name.

hmmmmmmm um errrrr well do you REALLY have to have it that? if you do ill ummm i guess allow it maybe ill have to ask someone if i should

ps owen i actually dont think the south and slavery was right but saying that was just for the hell of it
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:57 am

If this is historical the name should be allowed. "Slave owners" is in history textbooks across the country. It is not the n-word or some other derogatory slur. It simply was the way things were back then. Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were both slave owners (although they weren't around in the Civil War, obviously). PLus it is a term to describe WHITE people during the civil war, and if CC has taught me anything, it is you can say anything you want about whites, republicans or religions (as long as they are predominantly white).

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby owenshooter on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:58 pm

jbrettlip wrote:If this is historical the name should be allowed. "Slave owners" is in history textbooks across the country.

this is a great name for the "south will rise again" tournament... still waiting for NS to show/tell me how "the south will rise again" is historical and not racist... he can't... he is wrong... period... and brett, "slave owners" is a great name for a team. i need to find a partner and name ourselves something like "the lynch mob", "20 lashes", "the white knights", etc... i mean, since NS has declared that there is nothing racist about the confederate flag, historical names and "the south will rise again", we might as well have fun with his laughable understanding of bigotry/racism within the historical context... nice call night strike!!! you are right, racism isn't real, it is simply in the mind of the offended!!!-0
Krazy gurls love Cool-0!!!!
Lieutenant owenshooter

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby AndrewB on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:52 pm

owenshooter, really, take it easy pal.

nobody made this tournament as a insult to you, or to any "offended".

if you want to put your twisted meaning into anything that surrounds you, you can, and it looks like you will.

But do it in your private matter and your private space. Don't spoil fun for others.

This is a game site, not "lets deal with racism and all historical wrongdoings" site. So let play on!
Last edited by AndrewB on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (22) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (2)

Postby colton24 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:54 pm

AndrewB wrote:owenshooter, really, take it easy pal.

nobody made this tournament as a insult to you, or to any "offended".

if you want to put your twisted meaning into anything that surrounds you, you can, and it looks like you will.

But do it in your private matter and your private space. Don't spoil fun for others.

i was going to put the same thing but in a way that would get me a forum ban
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Postby neanderpaul14 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:52 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:
owenshooter wrote:the rebel flag is illegal in many states, as it is sign of racism/bigotry. brett attempted to sign me up without asking me, and i do not wish to participate in this racist and bigoted tournament. furthermore, colton should be dealt with in C&A for this, because it is a clear violation of the bigotry guidelines. this thread/tournament was made out of ignorance for the feelings of others and the historical significance of the confederate flag. this should be dealt with immediately-0

p.s.-way to go colton, enjoy my foe list. first ever to make it.

Ummmm.....????? Could you please tell me which states the Confederate flag is actually illegal in?? I know it was removed from state buildings but was unaware it is illegal in any state.

Excuse me Owen, I hate to repeat myself and quote my own post but, please tell me where in the U.S. is the Confederate flag actually illegal.

High score: 2724/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Private 1st Class neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson
Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (13)

Postby alstergren on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:59 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:Excuse me Owen, I hate to repeat myself and quote my own post but, please tell me where in the U.S. is the Confederate flag actually illegal.

At NYU? :D
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Captain alstergren

Medals: 139
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (20)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (32)

Postby dshedd on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:42 am

To answer your question:
It is not Illegal to fly a confederate flag in ANY state in this country. Freedom of speech lets you do that all you want, just as it lets you get swasticka tatoos, just as it lets you burn American flags, just as it lets you be a member of the Ku Klux Klan (which, by the way, the Klan's two 'official flags' are the current flag of the United States of America and the christian flag used during the crusdades).

The State legislature of South Carolina passed a resolution not to fly the confederate flag on any public buildings anymore, but it is certainly not illegal to fly one by yourself.

Some private school college campuses - who get to make up their own rules, because they are private and not public schools - have made the flag illegal on their campuses, because of rascist association of the flag.

The NCAA has punished South Carolina for allowing the flag to fly predominantly in their state by not letting them host any "pre-determined site" national championships in any sport.

All this being said, the confederate flag that we know of today, is not actually the original confederate flag and it is not actually the "stars and bars" of the confederacy. The "stars and bars" looks relatively similar to the US flag, except there are only two stripes, one red, one white. There are 7 white stars in the blue circle. The flag we know of today as the confederate flag is a slight variation on the confederate navy's jack flag.

Today: 7 southern state flags have variations of confederate flags still incorporated into their design. Mississippi has the confederate flag we know today in the upper left hand corner of their flag, while AL, AR, FL, TN, GA, and NC all have variations of the original "stars and bars" as their flags.

So either all of the Southern state governments are still racist, or they are commemorating a time when they fought next to eachother for their various reasons - slavery being the most predominant one.

As far as the whole concept of the tournament - I see no problem with it. The Civil War is just about the most fascinating point in US history for a whole slew of reasons. The flag itself is not rascist - but it is often used by rascitst organizations and rascist people. I was a little surprised that the confederate flag was flying alone at the top of this forum - it would make more sense to have a union flag flying next to it - or perhaps, preferrably above it.

All this being said - a team that actively WANTS to be called "slave owners" is probably at LEAST a little rascist when there are plenty of other Southern phrases from the civil war that are less controversial. Certainly owning slaves was a historical fact in this country - but so was lynching people. Normal people don't WANT to be associated with these bad things. Hence the whole "the Civil War was about States' Rights." A true statement, but, really - they just don't want to seem like they were fighting for the state right of SLAVERY - because fighting for slavery sounds bad.

Sorry that was a long rant - but, this is actually a topic I'm quite interested in anyways, so I thought I'd put my two cents in (if its even worth that much). Anyways, my main point is that the whole thing is way more complicated than either of the two camps have made it seem in this forum. There are certainly undertones of rascism whenever you talk about the Civil War - but it doesn't make it any less historical. I mean, certainly the civil war cannot be disallowed as a subject of conversation for the possibility that someone might be offended. That's political correctness gone WAY TO FAR.

As far as I'm concerned, this tournament should go through. They should be allowed to be called "slave owners" - as slave owners were a big part of the civil war ----but, I mean, its ridiculous that they want to be called that. As long as nobody is a horrible person throughout this thing, it seems like it could be fun.

I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks, otherwise, I'd join up immediately. Good luck, guys, and play nice.
Captain dshedd

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (4)

Postby Night Strike on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:41 pm

And after that great synopsis by dshedd, it's time to quit hijacking this thread and start letting the people who want to play in this tournament sign up and play. If you want to continue the civil war discussions, please take it to Turtle Soup.
Captain Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Postby colton24 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Night Strike wrote:And after that great synopsis by dshedd, it's time to quit hijacking this thread and start letting the people who want to play in this tournament sign up and play. If you want to continue the civil war discussions, please take it to Turtle Soup.

thank you nightstrike couldn't of said it better myself
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Postby anthroguy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Can't we at least exercise some discretion in team names? "Slave Owners" is obviously racist and intended to offend. The fact that it was allowed to slide speaks volumes about the character of some of the people joining this tournament and those who have approved it. I honestly thought it sounded like a cool tourney when I just saw the name "Rebs vs Yankees," but upon reading the description I had the same thoughts as owenshooter and dshedd. It seems very one sided, praising a deplorable and embarrassing chapter in our nation's history (I recognize this and I was born and raised in the South, where I still live).

If this goes, then what's wrong with a WW2 tourny where the organizer prominently displays the Nazi flag and cries "May the Third Reich rise again!"
Sergeant 1st Class anthroguy

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby jbrettlip on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:54 pm

anthroguy wrote:Can't we at least exercise some discretion in team names? "Slave Owners" is obviously racist and intended to offend. The fact that it was allowed to slide speaks volumes about the character of some of the people joining this tournament and those who have approved it. I honestly thought it sounded like a cool tourney when I just saw the name "Rebs vs Yankees," but upon reading the description I had the same thoughts as owenshooter and dshedd. It seems very one sided, praising a deplorable and embarrassing chapter in our nation's history (I recognize this and I was born and raised in the South, where I still live).

If this goes, then what's wrong with a WW2 tourny where the organizer prominently displays the Nazi flag and cries "May the Third Reich rise again!"

Because then it would be called the Fourth Reich. It is a numerical sequence.

Clan Achievement (2)

Postby anthroguy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Coming from a "slave owner" team member, that probably is the only part that seems wrong.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby colton24 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 pm

anthroguy wrote:Coming from a "slave owner" team member, that probably is the only part that seems wrong.

i dont think they allow the nazi flags... anyways i tried to change his mind but it didnt work :-$
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Postby jbrettlip on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 pm

anthroguy wrote:Coming from a "slave owner" team member, that probably is the only part that seems wrong.

without slave owners, abolitionists wouldn't have had anything to do.

Edit: Are you even in this tourney, or are you just trolling the thread?

Clan Achievement (2)

Postby anthroguy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm not in the tourny. I was going to join until I realized its character, then I made a comment, agreed with others, made a comparison, and asked a question. I was shocked at what the admin permitted, and felt it necessary to voice what I'm sure many others would say (and already have). I don't think it is trolling to speak out against something that is clearly wrong.

Postby jbrettlip on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm

colton24 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:And after that great synopsis by dshedd, it's time to quit hijacking this thread and start letting the people who want to play in this tournament sign up and play. If you want to continue the civil war discussions, please take it to Turtle Soup.

thank you nightstrike couldn't of said it better myself

Then you should read what NS wrote.

Clan Achievement (2)

Postby anthroguy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 am

Night Strike wrote:colton, your tournament is fine to run. Just make sure you don't allow racist team names (even if they are historical).

jbrett, I read what Nightstrike said (anyway, I'm not discussing the Civil War; I've only talked about this tournament). Maybe you should too, instead of childishly insisting on affiliating yourself with people, who by the standards of any modern person, are evil. I'm sincerely sorry if people on CC have bashed things that you hold dear (conservatism, religion, etc. - just going off of something you wrote earlier). You don't deserve that. But it's not an excuse to lower yourself to their level by intentionally (that much is obvious) offending the sensibilities of others.

I want the tournament to proceed as much as anyone. It's a good idea for a tourny. I'm just disappointed that people are using as it an opportunity to offend and I'm surprised that Nightstrike's recommendation regarding team names hasn't been followed (even though he made it twice).

Postby carnasaur9 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 pm

Dowling Guards:

mountainboy965; carnasaur9

Confederacy
Private carnasaur9

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Next

Return to Completed 2009