Rank Restricted Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Adding a "Minimun number of points required" option.

Postby JelleR on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm

greenoaks wrote:but they will use it

as soon as they have a score they think is worth protecting they will segregate themselves from those beneath them

this shouuld not be implemented, ever

Even if this would happen, the worst players of a certain group (say, 1600+) would have to drop down because they cant maintain their score. It should be obvious why.

Anyway, I think you are stretching. This wont happen, people will still play with lower ranks even when they have a certain score. Having the option to easily start a game with certain ranks w/o having to bother w/ setting up a passworded game and looking over the process of getting people in is not detrimental to the games. To the contrary imo, I think you will see a riuse in the number of games because of this ease.

Why I want these games? Sometimes I want to play with people that behave a bit more rational. AFAIK, I'm not the only one. Therefor I think it should at least be considered.

Lastly: I must be blind but I cant find the rejected suggestions in the archive?
Captain JelleR

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby JelleR on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:There are a couple of them that I can see at a glance in the rejected section. The main reason this gets rejected is because it isn't fair to segregate ranks. If you are truly of the rank that you have, then you should have no problem keeping it no matter the opponents. That being said, I know where you're coming from, but until a decision is made by the admins to change the rank segregation rules, it just won't go through.

I also want to react on this.

Rank segregation is already a fact. See the callouts section, glance through the games that most majors and up play. This option is about setting those type of games easier and for a wider audience.
Captain JelleR

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby 40kguy on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 pm

this is an awful idea. cooks wouldn't be able to play in any games.
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Sergeant 1st Class 40kguy

Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby Fattyschippy on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:36 pm

40kguy wrote:this is an awful idea. cooks wouldn't be able to play in any games.

Agreed...to play like a pro, learn with the pros.
And think of the feeling of rejection every time I saw a point restricted game :cry:
Captain Fattyschippy

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby JelleR on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm

40kguy wrote:this is an awful idea. cooks wouldn't be able to play in any games.

Ehh, other cooks?

Why do you all seem to think that everybody would activate the option to play with similar or higher ranked players all the time?

I know I wouldnt.
Captain JelleR

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm

we already have a system that allows you to restrict who enters your game, we don't need another.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:17 pm

JelleR wrote:I'm not a snob and I do enjoy playing games with lower ranks for sure, but sometimes I just want to match my wits with players of equal or greater skill. Now, I do have the option of seeking out a game with a password in callouts and try to get a game going that way. Its still a hassle to get the pw though and I feel that people are not using the callouts section enough.

I think a very good option would be adding the following option when creating a game:

Minimun number of points required.

You could for example put it at 1600 and everyone that matches that score would be able to join automatically. There is no need to ask for passwords or first look at the callouts section to see if there any games macthing your needs. You can do this now through the game finder option and see which games require 1600 points or more. To clarify, you should be able to change the number of points required at your convenience.

I think this benefits the community in multiple ways:

1) You can more easily play with the opponents you would like to play with, no need to send out invites or put up a post in callouts.

2) You can see more easily which games fit your criteria.

3) As a result, more games are being played.

Thoughts?

I like it. Even if you consider that callouts is available, not everyone will be on at the same time, which can make connecting with a specific rank a bit difficult.

This would also save on the mass "x rank and up" pms ppl send to everyone they know with games.

Finally, those folks who like a specific setting but are getting nastied at by CC because too many lower ranks are joining, would have a way to prevent that, so that they can play the game settings they, too, enjoy. (and then if they refuse to use that rank specifier, it would be easier to spot those who ARE doing it to farm or near-farm).
Captain stahrgazer

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (7)

Maximum and/or Minimum Rank on Create and Find

Postby MrPipes on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Concise description:
  • Feature 1 - Allow games to be created with a Maximum and/or Minimum Rank.
  • Feature 2 - Enhance the Find Games View to allow finding games with the Feature 1 described Maximum and/or Minimum Rank setting.

Specifics/Details:
  • Feature 1 would simply be two optional fields that allowed a game to be created that could set a Maximum allowed Rank and or a Minimum allowed range to join the game. This would allow newer users to create game that would be targeted for other newer members. For the Higher ranking folks, this would allow folks to optionally limit lower ranking folks from joininga game so they could avoid having games skewed by ignorance of the rules and poor tacktics
  • Feature 2 would allow someone on the Find Games View to quickly locate games where their desired ability is welcome. If folk are new, they would easily be able to find a game were there weren't Generals and Field Marshalls. Additionally, Higher ranking folks could easily find a game with other higher ranking folks and enjoy a highly challenging game.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • The benefit is a method to help connect folks of like rank without making it manditory. There are other benefits too. Currently there is an allowed form of Farming that is actively being used. Some higher ranking members create dozens of team games, traps essentially, with very experienced members waiting for new folks to join. While "legal" on this site, the game is so stacked that the game is usually over in 2 or 3 rounds at best. The effect of this type of strategy is clear. This allows experience folks to quickly move up in rank. However, the downside is new folks feel discouraged and do not stay. By enabling folks to select the level of players they want to play against, they can choose when to take on the more challenging and higher ranking members. Additionally, the higher ranking folks can eliminate having to play with folks who really do not understand the game. By leaving this to be optional, folks can still play with any level of players if they choose and so they can still invite friends and have game with a wide range of Ranks.

Regards,

MrPipes
Sergeant 1st Class MrPipes

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: Maximum and/or Minimum Rank on Create and Find

Postby Woodruff on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 pm

MrPipes wrote:Concise description:
  • Feature 1 - Allow games to be created with a Maximum and/or Minimum Rank.
  • Feature 2 - Enhance the Find Games View to allow finding games with the Feature 1 described Maximum and/or Minimum Rank setting.

Specifics/Details:
  • Feature 1 would simply be two optional fields that allowed a game to be created that could set a Maximum allowed Rank and or a Minimum allowed range to join the game. This would allow newer users to create game that would be targeted for other newer members. For the Higher ranking folks, this would allow folks to optionally limit lower ranking folks from joininga game so they could avoid having games skewed by ignorance of the rules and poor tacktics
  • Feature 2 would allow someone on the Find Games View to quickly locate games where their desired ability is welcome. If folk are new, they would easily be able to find a game were there weren't Generals and Field Marshalls. Additionally, Higher ranking folks could easily find a game with other higher ranking folks and enjoy a highly challenging game.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • The benefit is a method to help connect folks of like rank without making it manditory. There are other benefits too. Currently there is an allowed form of Farming that is actively being used. Some higher ranking members create dozens of team games, traps essentially, with very experienced members waiting for new folks to join. While "legal" on this site, the game is so stacked that the game is usually over in 2 or 3 rounds at best. The effect of this type of strategy is clear. This allows experience folks to quickly move up in rank. However, the downside is new folks feel discouraged and do not stay. By enabling folks to select the level of players they want to play against, they can choose when to take on the more challenging and higher ranking members. Additionally, the higher ranking folks can eliminate having to play with folks who really do not understand the game. By leaving this to be optional, folks can still play with any level of players if they choose and so they can still invite friends and have game with a wide range of Ranks.
Regards,
MrPipes

I wholeheartedly support this suggestion, as all arguments against it other than "the site just won't do it" simply do not hold water. However, it has been suggested many times and sadly, been rejected too many times.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby DarthFrog on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Sounds good to me. As I've moved up in ranks, it's hard to find games with higher rank players that are not playing in Quads or Trips. I would use this feature for sure.
Sergeant DarthFrog

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Woodruff wrote:I wholeheartedly support this suggestion, as all arguments against it other than "the site just won't do it" simply do not hold water. However, it has been suggested many times and sadly, been rejected too many times.

With this suggestion implemented, manymany people would simply not join games with low ranked players, since it is so easy to just find high ranked games..

I do agree with the suggestion though, I do want it since I would not abuse it, it would be helpful to me. BUt I don't think the site agrees, because of the reason I stated above
rds is awesome!
Private 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Medals: 99
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (31)
General Contribution (1)

Postby OliverFA on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:59 am

But with the current state of the site. How do you ensure that high ranked players don't choose the games they join, thus "manipulating" their score? This is already happening, so the feature would not cause anything that is not happening now.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Lieutenant OliverFA

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby Woodruff on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 am

iamkoolerthanu wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I wholeheartedly support this suggestion, as all arguments against it other than "the site just won't do it" simply do not hold water. However, it has been suggested many times and sadly, been rejected too many times.

With this suggestion implemented, manymany people would simply not join games with low ranked players, since it is so easy to just find high ranked games.

I agree. I don't see a problem with that.

iamkoolerthanu wrote:I do agree with the suggestion though, I do want it since I would not abuse it, it would be helpful to me. BUt I don't think the site agrees, because of the reason I stated above

I don't see the problem. High-ranked players player with high-ranked players. Low-ranked players play with low-ranked players. Medium-ranked players (as they move up) play with both.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Woodruff on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 am

OliverFA wrote:But with the current state of the site. How do you ensure that high ranked players don't choose the games they join, thus "manipulating" their score? This is already happening, so the feature would not cause anything that is not happening now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "manipulating" their score? In my opinion, for the most part, the "manipulation" of high-ranked scores is happening by their playing lots of games against low-ranked players. This would not affect that at all. It wouldn't encourage it, and it wouldn't discourage it.

But what it would do is allow those high-ranked players who DON'T want to "farm" (yes, it's farming, so shut up) the ability to avoid low-ranked players entirely.

Postby TotoroHat on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

I have not been on this site in a while but when i came back on I found this topic started again. If I remember correctly most people on this site thoughgt this option would exclude lower ranked players from moving up the ranks and allow higher ranked players the ability to remain at the top for longer because they would not be forced to play a lower rank. In WWII there were lower skilled generals and higher skilled generals. It takes all ranks to make this site great. Why is it that it is usualy the higher ranked people who want to prevent themselves from playing the lower ranked people?

Use the Callouts Section.

I once suggested a option to have a low ranked player set a maximum point value for joining his/her game. The button to click would say, people with 1200 points (or 1100 points or something) or lower only. (this would include the person creating the game).

I am opposed to any button which would make it possible for higher ranked people to avoid playing against medium rank people or lower rank people just because they want to stay at the top, The game is already "tiered" as it is. Why make it more?
Sergeant 1st Class TotoroHat

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions