Delete old accounts.

Suggestions that have not stood up to community review.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Delete old accounts.

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:12 am

Concise description:
[*]Delete player profiles/user names from the database that have not been used for more than a year

Specifics:
[*]Since there are a whole lot of players at cc that have not taken a turn in the past 30 days, I am sure that there are many that have not accessed their account for over a year. Even players that only have free time during a certain time of year will take a turn within twelve months, the rest have most likely forgotten about cc/ forgotten that they had an account/ forgotten what their account was. (Accounts that have been busted for cheating should stay for the sake of the IP address.)

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
[*]It would open up a whole lot of free space on the servers, therefore depleting the need to buy new servers, therefore more money for lackattack.
[*]It would increase the amount of user names available to users.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Re: Delete old accounts.

Postby wicked on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 am

Believe it or not, people can and do come back after being gone awhile. Those inactive accounts don't take up much room on the server, so that isn't an issue. Plus it would get confusing when going to look at old games or posts. Also, wouldn't want people taking over old names, as that would cause a ton of problems. So don't see this ever happening.
Major wicked

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby bbqpenguin on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 pm

plus when you keep old accounts it makes cc look like it has more players than it actually does, giving it the illusion of being a bigger deal than it actually is :)
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby KoE_Sirius on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:25 pm

I wouldnt want someone else using my name even if I never came back to cc.
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Medals: 54
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (4)

Postby cicero on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:32 pm

The space saved would be minimal, certainly I think (though I have no inside knowledge) not enough to make any significant reduction on the storage space used.

Also I believe this would introduce all kinds of data corruption problems. Imagine checking a game you played just over a year ago ... and one of the players has now been deleted ... what would you see ?
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (3)

Return to Rejected Suggestions