Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Suggestions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby strike wolf on Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:17 am

Oh I had checked the to-do list to make sure it wasn't up there, I guess I overlooked it.
Cadet strike wolf

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby AtomicSlug on Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:30 pm

I guess that answers my question. I was just thinking of some matrix-like structure at game start and then only saving the changed entries for each turn. Just start/placement/end turn. But ic ur into going all the way down to dice rolls which is even cooler :D
"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello." - Teal'c
Cook AtomicSlug

Postby AtomicSlug on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:39 pm

Any progress on this? b4 I spend $$ 2 join, I woud love 2 c a few improvements like this...
"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello." - Teal'c
Cook AtomicSlug

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:21 pm

It's on the To-Do list, don't worry.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

replay after game has ended

Postby Jrus on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:24 am

It would be a great option to see your game in replay after finishing up.
Within a couple of seconds you see your just ended game start, evolve and finally end.

...but perhaps difficult to program.

Jrus
Major Jrus

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby ZawBanjito on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:28 am

Aw, dude, I've totally dreamed of this... but I've always been afraid of asking since it seems like it would eat up space... seemed kind of frivolous...

Stiiiilll, if the log was made to contain enough information, couldn't something be programmed to play back a map based on that?
Colonel ZawBanjito

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:59 pm

I think once a few of the next updates come out, it will be possible to make 'movies' of the turns taken in a game.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby kc-jake on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:04 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think once a few of the next updates come out, it will be possible to make 'movies' of the turns taken in a game.

--Andy

With third-party apps, of course. :-D

This is something I'd do, and maybe even a script-kiddie like Tr0y.

And Tr0y, I'm just kidding, you know we love you.
I was a major back when 1600 was major. Now that I'm back, I get to easily win a bunch of games to get my rank. Thank the 'tards here who suck at this game.
imhot4jesus wrote:Literacy never hurt anybody.

Highest Rank: #154 (Oct 05 '06)
Highest Score: 1725 (Jul 18 '08)
Sergeant 1st Class kc-jake

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Game replay

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Ok im not sure how this would work or the effort that would go into it (guess alot and may not be possible). But it would be nice to have a way of setting up game to a certain point and play from that point again etc to see how it would have turned out if you tried a different way to attack. May be something you could add for another layer of prem i dunno. Ill think about when im not so tired and explain better in morning.
Sergeant 1st Class Lanceyboyuk

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Eventually users will be able to make a script to make videos of the game, once we go through more updates in the future.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:56 pm

thx mate
Sergeant 1st Class Lanceyboyuk

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Game History Playback

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:41 pm

I was looking a t a competing site, LandGrab.com, and noticed an interesting feature they had. It was a history playback feature. You could go and see each turn of the map and how armies progressed. Is this a possible feature that could be implemented. And if it is does anyone want it.
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:32 pm

Eventually, when we update further, I believe you'll be able to essentially make movies of games, from all the data.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:46 pm

SWEET
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

[Merged] Replay Option

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:10 am

Suggestion Idea:

Have you ever played Civilization (1 2 3 or 4)? At the end of the game you can watch a replay of what happened with logging and different speeds.

Specifics:

I reckon this would probably need the Game Log 2.0 improvement first as that would hold all necessary data.
Would be cool to watch your victories... or other peoples victories.

Why it is needed:

Nice to have I reckon?!

Priority** (1-5): 5 minimal - only if you're bored.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Review/Replay Game option; priority 2

Postby adam3b58 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:07 pm

i would like to be able to review games move by move after they are completed to see what i did wrong, or right. now, i understand that that could take up alot of space, seeing as there are thousands of games, so maybe while the game is still classified as Recently Finished, we could save it to our own hd and then replay it on a player somewhere on this website.

when i say 'move by move', i mean each attack. so i could sit there, hit a play button, and watch the game unfold from the beginning. or advance it forward move by move, or backward. so thered be like a play button (maybe) that would replay the entire game at like 2 seconds per attack (or make that number assignable) and a forward and backward track button for manual scrolling.

i realize this wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but i for one would love to be able to review a game in real time and analyze it.

Priority: 2
Cadet adam3b58

good idea

Postby Shai on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:31 pm

I think Lack would rather be vacating in Fiji than implementing this one but it could be useful for bragging :)
"Check out game 123XXX and see how i won in 6 turns :) "
that type of bragging...
Lieutenant Shai

Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1)

Postby AK_iceman on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 pm

Check the to-do list before posting.

Game Log 2.0
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (2)

Postby AK_iceman on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Check the to-do list before posting next time.

Game Log 2.0
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (2)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Apologies I didn't realise that the extended Log mentioned Replays...

I would be up for attempting to create replays given a "sample" set of Xml to have a look at.

I'm assuming I would have to take a look at GreaseMonkey for this?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby adam3b58 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:57 pm

i did, and i think is sufficiently diff from the TC/OP
Cadet adam3b58

Re: [Merged] Replay Option

Postby Phobia on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:09 pm

yeti_c wrote:Have you ever played Civilization (1 2 3 or 4)?

yes, excellent game

but anyway, would these replays apply to all the old games finished before lack makes this update? cos i dont think that data would be available
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: [Merged] Replay Option

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Phobia wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Have you ever played Civilization (1 2 3 or 4)?

yes, excellent game

but anyway, would these replays apply to all the old games finished before lack makes this update? cos i dont think that data would be available

Correct this would be impossible... would only work once the upgrade to GameLog is available.
Lieutenant yeti_c

History?

Postby Iliad on Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:45 am

How about, you can watch the game:
when you start history, it shows what each player did, till the point when history started. this could be after the game(seeing how a player won a game, or how maybe looking at his strategies. This could also help secret alliances accusation, as you really can't tell from the game log how many people were at different territories.

What do you guys think?
Private 1st Class Iliad

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby hecter on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:18 am

I think that would take up massive amounts of space for something that really isn't needed. The game can be slow enough sometimes as it is.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Next

Return to Suggestions