Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Review/Replay Game option; priority 2

Postby adam3b58 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:07 pm

i would like to be able to review games move by move after they are completed to see what i did wrong, or right. now, i understand that that could take up alot of space, seeing as there are thousands of games, so maybe while the game is still classified as Recently Finished, we could save it to our own hd and then replay it on a player somewhere on this website.

when i say 'move by move', i mean each attack. so i could sit there, hit a play button, and watch the game unfold from the beginning. or advance it forward move by move, or backward. so thered be like a play button (maybe) that would replay the entire game at like 2 seconds per attack (or make that number assignable) and a forward and backward track button for manual scrolling.

i realize this wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but i for one would love to be able to review a game in real time and analyze it.


Priority: 2
Cadet adam3b58
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:05 pm
Location: Montana

good idea

Postby Shai on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:31 pm

I think Lack would rather be vacating in Fiji than implementing this one but it could be useful for bragging :)
"Check out game 123XXX and see how i won in 6 turns :) "
that type of bragging...
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Shai
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:42 am
Location: Israel
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1)

Postby AK_iceman on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 pm

Check the to-do list before posting.

Game Log 2.0
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman
 
Posts: 5699
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 10:39 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (2)

Postby AK_iceman on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Check the to-do list before posting next time.

Game Log 2.0
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman
 
Posts: 5699
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 10:39 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (2)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Apologies I didn't realise that the extended Log mentioned Replays...

I would be up for attempting to create replays given a "sample" set of Xml to have a look at.

I'm assuming I would have to take a look at GreaseMonkey for this?

C.
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby adam3b58 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:57 pm

i did, and i think is sufficiently diff from the TC/OP
Cadet adam3b58
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:05 pm
Location: Montana

Re: [Merged] Replay Option

Postby Phobia on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:09 pm

yeti_c wrote:Have you ever played Civilization (1 2 3 or 4)?


yes, excellent game

but anyway, would these replays apply to all the old games finished before lack makes this update? cos i dont think that data would be available
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Sheffield, England
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: [Merged] Replay Option

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Phobia wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Have you ever played Civilization (1 2 3 or 4)?


yes, excellent game

but anyway, would these replays apply to all the old games finished before lack makes this update? cos i dont think that data would be available


Correct this would be impossible... would only work once the upgrade to GameLog is available.
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Flash game replay

Postby magico on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:06 pm

Flash game replay would allow watch the game, instead of "reading" it.

Using the map and arrows we could see the game progressing from the start to finish. This would create a nice impact for users reviewing games.
Last edited by cicero on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Private 1st Class magico
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 am
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby joeyjordison on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:40 pm

would be hard. i do think that it would be useful to have a way to record games. maybe a screenshot type thing after each turn? i know that can't be done for all games but is there a programme that will do that for you on your own computer?

i don't know of a good solution but some sort of replay option would be good
User avatar
Major joeyjordison
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 am
Medals: 2
Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby cyberdaniel on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:43 pm

I'm planing to create a script to allow you to replay games but I'm waiting for lack to release the log update. Then I'll be able to make it work 100% Right now if it would be designed it would have a lot of assumptions.
"Every battle has been won before it's been fought." Sun Tzu
User avatar
Captain cyberdaniel
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:31 am
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby magico on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:42 am

Anyway, if someone wants a replay game flash version, I only need access to a good "log" and to the "map". Then it is easy to develop the flash, for which I am an expert!
Private 1st Class magico
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 am
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Replay Capability

Postby saadasim on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:09 am

It would be a nice feature if a player could replay the game from the begnning and see what mistakes they made in order to improve their game.

Thanks for the effort!
Private 1st Class saadasim
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:56 pm
Location: Chicago, US

Postby yeti_c on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:15 am

I believe the current situation is that this is impossible as it stands...

But when Log 2.0 comes out which gives a more fine grain of detail to what has happened in the games then it will be possible.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Game Playback

Postby rabbiton on Sun May 27, 2007 12:37 am

Something that would be cool, in an utterly unnecessary way, would be the ability to play back an entire game, if only in fast forward.

If data storage was an issue, then maybe it would only be an active feature in certain circumstances, such as tournaments.
Field Marshal rabbiton
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 7:24 pm
Medals: 26
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1)
Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby AK_iceman on Sun May 27, 2007 12:41 am

A Watch Game option has already been rejected.

But if you check out the thread for Game Log 2.0 on the to-do list, once that is implemented it will be possible to create a script that will play back the game as a movie.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman
 
Posts: 5699
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 10:39 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Iliad on Sun May 27, 2007 4:21 am

AK_iceman wrote:A Watch Game option has already been rejected.

But if you check out the thread for Game Log 2.0 on the to-do list, once that is implemented it will be possible to create a script that will play back the game as a movie.

Yeah I suggested that. Or at least I was one of the people who suggested the Watch game option.
User avatar
Private 1st Class Iliad
 
Posts: 10439
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:48 am
Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Suggestion: Instant replay for CC nerds (oh, oh, that's me!)

Postby mushin on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:28 pm

Maybe I'm just retarded, which my wife says all the time. I'd love to see a way of actually studying a game after it has ended. Since the game log does not record the number of armies on any given country, right now it takes two days worth of coffee, a home-made pentagon-style war room, and a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder to figure out exactly what happened during a given game. Could there be a way to actually replay a game to review tactics, boneheaded moves, or show your friends why you suspect the dice were possesed by the freaky faun in Pan's Labyrinth during round 6. Damn fauns.
If I seem slightly confused somebody please slap me.
User avatar
Corporal mushin
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:54 am
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: Suggestion: Instant replay for CC nerds (oh, oh, that's

Postby dominationnation on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:30 pm

mushin wrote:Maybe I'm just retarded, which my wife says all the time. There should be a way,of actually studying a game after it has ended. Since the game log does not record the number of armies on any given country, right now it takes two days worth of coffee, a home-made pentagon-style war room, and a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder to figure out exactly what happened during a given game. Could there be a way to actually replay a game to review tactics, boneheaded moves, or show your friends why you suspect the dice were possesed by the freaky faun in Pan's Labyrinth during round 6. Damn fauns.
game log 2.0 is coming out soon an once that happens game replays will be much easier to do.
Cook dominationnation
 
Posts: 4234
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:20 am

Re: Suggestion: Instant replay for CC nerds (oh, oh, that's

Postby wrightfan123 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:21 pm

mushin wrote:Maybe I'm just retarded, which my wife says all the time. I'd love to see a way of actually studying a game after it has ended. Since the game log does not record the number of armies on any given country, right now it takes two days worth of coffee, a home-made pentagon-style war room, and a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder to figure out exactly what happened during a given game. Could there be a way to actually replay a game to review tactics, boneheaded moves, or show your friends why you suspect the dice were possesed by the freaky faun in Pan's Labyrinth during round 6. Damn fauns.


Yes! Fellow nerds MUST unite!
User avatar
Private 1st Class wrightfan123
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Suggestion: Instant replay for CC nerds (oh, oh, that's

Postby robbart on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:34 am

mushin wrote:Maybe I'm just retarded, which my wife says all the time. I'd love to see a way of actually studying a game after it has ended. Since the game log does not record the number of armies on any given country, right now it takes two days worth of coffee, a home-made pentagon-style war room, and a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder to figure out exactly what happened during a given game. Could there be a way to actually replay a game to review tactics, boneheaded moves, or show your friends why you suspect the dice were possesed by the freaky faun in Pan's Labyrinth during round 6. Damn fauns.


I thought I was the only one whose wife called them retarded! Perhaps there are a few of us after all...

I second this. Not just for the geekiness of it, but it's a great way to study the strategy of the higher ranking officers here at CC.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class robbart
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Waldorf, MD

Re: Suggestion: Instant replay for CC nerds (oh, oh, that's

Postby robbart on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:35 am

dominationnation wrote:
mushin wrote:Maybe I'm just retarded, which my wife says all the time. There should be a way,of actually studying a game after it has ended. Since the game log does not record the number of armies on any given country, right now it takes two days worth of coffee, a home-made pentagon-style war room, and a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder to figure out exactly what happened during a given game. Could there be a way to actually replay a game to review tactics, boneheaded moves, or show your friends why you suspect the dice were possesed by the freaky faun in Pan's Labyrinth during round 6. Damn fauns.
game log 2.0 is coming out soon an once that happens game replays will be much easier to do.


What is this "game log" you speak of?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class robbart
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Waldorf, MD

Re: Suggestion: Instant replay for CC nerds (oh, oh, that's

Postby dominationnation on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:55 pm

robbart wrote:
dominationnation wrote:
mushin wrote:Maybe I'm just retarded, which my wife says all the time. There should be a way,of actually studying a game after it has ended. Since the game log does not record the number of armies on any given country, right now it takes two days worth of coffee, a home-made pentagon-style war room, and a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder to figure out exactly what happened during a given game. Could there be a way to actually replay a game to review tactics, boneheaded moves, or show your friends why you suspect the dice were possesed by the freaky faun in Pan's Labyrinth during round 6. Damn fauns.
game log 2.0 is coming out soon an once that happens game replays will be much easier to do.


What is this "game log" you speak of?


The game log is the box under the map that says who attacked who and when people fortifyed and stuff. Game log 2.0 is the new version on the *to do* list. It will tell you more information like who attacked even if they didnt conquer any territorys and how many armies were lost. Once this happens it will be very easy to replay a game. You could find the specifics on the to do list on the top of this fourm.
Cook dominationnation
 
Posts: 4234
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:20 am

Re: Suggestion: Instant replay for CC nerds (oh, oh, that's

Postby robbart on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:58 pm

dominationnation wrote:
robbart wrote:
dominationnation wrote:
mushin wrote:Maybe I'm just retarded, which my wife says all the time. There should be a way,of actually studying a game after it has ended. Since the game log does not record the number of armies on any given country, right now it takes two days worth of coffee, a home-made pentagon-style war room, and a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder to figure out exactly what happened during a given game. Could there be a way to actually replay a game to review tactics, boneheaded moves, or show your friends why you suspect the dice were possesed by the freaky faun in Pan's Labyrinth during round 6. Damn fauns.
game log 2.0 is coming out soon an once that happens game replays will be much easier to do.


What is this "game log" you speak of?


The game log is the box under the map that says who attacked who and when people fortifyed and stuff. Game log 2.0 is the new version on the *to do* list. It will tell you more information like who attacked even if they didnt conquer any territorys and how many armies were lost. Once this happens it will be very easy to replay a game. You could find the specifics on the to do list on the top of this fourm.


Ahh, THAT game log... sorry, I was thinking that perhaps you were referring to some tool or something.

Yeah, if the starting armies were and territories were stated in the game log it would be easy to replay it with some sort of Javascript front end... like through a greasemonkey script.... :D
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class robbart
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Waldorf, MD

Suggestion: Game Replay

Postby yearrgh on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:44 pm

<Subject>:

* A replay button added to finished games so you can see the action on the map, instead of trying to figure it out from the game log.


<Body>:

* Suggestion Idea:

Whenever I used to play Civilization, after the game I enjoyed watching the ebb and flow of power on the map using the replay feature. It would be interesting to add a similar function to Conquer Club.

* Specifics:

A 'Replay' button is added below the final map where the 'Begin Turn' button goes. You click it and you browser automatically goes through the game as according to the game log. Nice features would include a speed setting, as well as pause, rewind, and fast-forward buttons.

* Why it is needed:

It will enable other players to see what happened in a game, rather than try to figure it out from the game log. Players can use it to reconsider strategy, figure out where things went wrong or right, or brag to each other.

* Priority** (1-5):

3. Not needed urgently, but it would be a great enhancement, IMHO.
Sergeant 1st Class yearrgh
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 8:22 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: yevgeniyt

Login