Unrated, Unranked, or No Points Games [REJECTED]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Suggestions Team

Would you like to see an unranked option when creating games?

Yes
19
54%
No
11
31%
Dont care
5
14%
 
Total votes : 35

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby hairy potter on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:54 pm

lack said that there would be no games played for no points
People are beginning to see that the first requisite to success in life is to be a good animal - Herbert Spencer

owenshooter wrote:go ahead and report me, you will get nowhere...-0
User avatar
Cadet hairy potter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:42 pm
Location: overlooking a school
Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Can you point me to his post? I did a search, so I am fairly sure solitaire games without AI have not been discussed. Games between players for no points are a very different thing. You don't want someone to be able to get a high rank and then stop playing for points to protect that.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:24 pm

I think the reasoning was he wanted people to have to risk points to see how a map is. It would make it too easy for people to become experts at maps. Now I can see how it could be good for new players. They could develop the nack of the game, but I could still see High ranks using this to become better at the harder maps without risking points to learn it.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne
 
Posts: 5162
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Lost somewhere in the snow. HELP ME
Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Well, then the answer to that is to make this a limited time offer to new players only. (Oh, I can hear the premiums yelling already.) How much expertise can you gain on a map, when your only competition is someone just as skilled as you, namely, YOU. I would still love to see an actual post by lackattack specifically against no-points games. Better still, a comment directly on this topic.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:08 pm

ender516 wrote:Well, then the answer to that is to make this a limited time offer to new players only. (Oh, I can hear the premiums yelling already.) How much expertise can you gain on a map, when your only competition is someone just as skilled as you, namely, YOU. I would still love to see an actual post by lackattack specifically against no-points games. Better still, a comment directly on this topic.


If I have time, I'll go look. I know he made the post way back in 2006, so it may take me a while to find it.


Edit**

Actually, i have been mistaken.

lackattack wrote:I will probably never have time to program AI players, but some day I could fathom people having bot accounts.

I suppose you could already write the logic in JavaScript and make a Grease Monkey script to take your moves. Or write a stand-alone program to automatically login and play. It is not against the rules or anything.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne
 
Posts: 5162
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Lost somewhere in the snow. HELP ME
Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 pm

A very interesting post, but not particularly germane to the issues at hand, as it says nothing about solitaire games or games where no points are awarded. I am surprised to learn that I would not be breaking any rules if I created a program to play the game.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

ender516 wrote:A very interesting post, but not particularly germane to the issues at hand, as it says nothing about solitaire games or games where no points are awarded. I am surprised to learn that I would not be breaking any rules if I created a program to play the game.


Well, remember, this was said back in 2006. He might have changed his mind on whether this was against the rules or not since then.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne
 
Posts: 5162
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Lost somewhere in the snow. HELP ME
Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:23 pm

So, with so many people saying that lack said "no games for no points", can anyone actually find a post that they can point to?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby yeti_c on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:05 pm

I love this idea...

The Yeti has spoken.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby phantomzero on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:15 pm

yeti_c wrote:I love this idea...

The Yeti has spoken.

C.


All Hail the Yeti
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: 2742 high score 122710
Medals: 81
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (10)

No-Rank Games

Postby QoH on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Forumers!

Concise description:
  • Some games, when selected to be not ranked, do not count towards the rank.

Specifics/Details:
  • So even if you win, you wont gain any points.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This will help players interested in more complex maps experiment without fear of losing rank for stupid mistakes.
Major QoH
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 pm
Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10)
Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7)

Re: No-Rank Games

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Um, I believe this was already suggested (and I think rejected, too). TFO, you wanna merge this with the original? I'll try to find it if I can...

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: No-Rank Games

Postby greenoaks on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Um, I believe this was already suggested (and I think rejected, too). TFO, you wanna merge this with the original? I'll try to find it if I can...

-Sully

as this gets suggested every few months and rejected just as often, i reckon the suggestion mods have the original thread bookmarked
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am
Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: No-Rank Games

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Moved.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne
 
Posts: 5162
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Lost somewhere in the snow. HELP ME
Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Re: No-Rank Games

Postby QoH on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:18 am

Sorry!

CAn someone please tell me the reason why though?

Thanks
Major QoH
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 pm
Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10)
Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7)

Re: No-Rank Games

Postby greenoaks on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 am

QoH wrote:Sorry!

CAn someone please tell me the reason why though?

Thanks

this site is about skill

if it allows players to practice on a map then their rank will not reflect the skill they have on the maps or settings they have played

your suggestion is open for abuse as it will allow higher ups to practice, becaome skilled and then play the inexperienced players for points

whereas now, if you don't know a map or the settings, your score lowers, which is a truer indication of your ability and experience across all the maps, settings, games that you have played
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am
Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 pm

I think this is a great idea. They don't even have to be cataloged, or given a game number, as they don't effect the points system. They wouldn't be much use on the system at all that way. and if they were to be ended automatically when you log off, then new recruits who leave won't effect it either.
I am voting Republican now. The Democrats left a bad taste in my mouth -Monica Lewinski
User avatar
Lieutenant Mr_Adams
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:33 pm
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (5)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby ender516 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Mostly good points showing how little they would cost the site, but I suspect the system would likely need to use a game number in its database just to organize things. But I think you're right, they wouldn't need to be archived in any way, and the idea of ending them when the player logs off is a good one.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:42 pm

ender516 wrote:Concise description:
  • Add a solitaire mode to Conquer Club.

Specifics/Details:
  • Add a solitaire mode to Conquer Club, whereby a user could set up a game with any of the settings used otherwise (number of players, game type, map, initial troops, play order, spoils, reinforcements, fog of war, and round length) and then play as all of the players in the game.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • The ability to practice is essential to the development and maintenance of any skill set, for novice and experienced alike.
  • The ability to explore the mechanics of a game without delay could help in the retention of new recruits, especially those with familiar with the copyrighted, real-world versions of global domination games, who wish to compare and contrast the way Conquer Club is played.


What is the significant difference between this suggestion and "unrated games"...a suggestion which has been rejected several times? It seems to me that the purpose would be the same. Here are some of those suggestions (got sick of looking after these five, only one of which is rejected):

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71035&hilit=unrated (not yet rejected, but VERY OLD and not moved)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70858&p=1721567&hilit=unrated#p1721567 (same as above)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=471&t=50789&p=1314303&hilit=unrated#p1314303 (rejected, this time)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48797&p=1264022&hilit=unrated#p1264022 (not yet rejected)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47210&p=1224109&hilit=unrated#p1224109 (not yet rejected)
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4974
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:14 pm

i don't like this idea at all

this site is about playing other people
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am
Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby Queen_Herpes on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Woodruff wrote:
ender516 wrote:Concise description:
  • Add a solitaire mode to Conquer Club.

Specifics/Details:
  • Add a solitaire mode to Conquer Club, whereby a user could set up a game with any of the settings used otherwise (number of players, game type, map, initial troops, play order, spoils, reinforcements, fog of war, and round length) and then play as all of the players in the game.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • The ability to practice is essential to the development and maintenance of any skill set, for novice and experienced alike.
  • The ability to explore the mechanics of a game without delay could help in the retention of new recruits, especially those with familiar with the copyrighted, real-world versions of global domination games, who wish to compare and contrast the way Conquer Club is played.


What is the significant difference between this suggestion and "unrated games"...a suggestion which has been rejected several times? It seems to me that the purpose would be the same. Here are some of those suggestions (got sick of looking after these five, only one of which is rejected):

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71035&hilit=unrated (not yet rejected, but VERY OLD and not moved)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70858&p=1721567&hilit=unrated#p1721567 (same as above)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=471&t=50789&p=1314303&hilit=unrated#p1314303 (rejected, this time)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48797&p=1264022&hilit=unrated#p1264022 (not yet rejected)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47210&p=1224109&hilit=unrated#p1224109 (not yet rejected)


If a suggestion is rejected, then a new member joins, couldn't that new member make the same suggestion? If so, even if the new member checked the forums to find the rejected suggestions, couldn't the new member still add his/her opinion by opening a new suggestion? If a veteran player, who has been around for a long time comes up with an idea that is the same as a rejected suggestion, wouldn't the site be interested to know how many people support the notion or the whole suggestion?

I guess I'm not understanding why it is wrong to have ideas and to come up with new iterations of previously rejected suggestions. Even if the suggestion is exactly the same as a rejected suggestion, I would think management would be interested in knowing how many people are interested in seeing a particular change.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
User avatar
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Right Here. Look into my eyes.
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:If a suggestion is rejected, then a new member joins, couldn't that new member make the same suggestion? If so, even if the new member checked the forums to find the rejected suggestions, couldn't the new member still add his/her opinion by opening a new suggestion? If a veteran player, who has been around for a long time comes up with an idea that is the same as a rejected suggestion, wouldn't the site be interested to know how many people support the notion or the whole suggestion?

I guess I'm not understanding why it is wrong to have ideas and to come up with new iterations of previously rejected suggestions. Even if the suggestion is exactly the same as a rejected suggestion, I would think management would be interested in knowing how many people are interested in seeing a particular change.


Wouldn't the same be accomplished by the "additional member" (if you will) posting in one of the MANY, MANY threads that already exist on the subject? In fact, I would strongly suggest it would be more efficient to do so, as management is just as likely as I am to get sick of pulling up all the damn threads on the same subject and just stop at some point.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4974
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Unrated Games/No Points game

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 pm

Merged.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne
 
Posts: 5162
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Lost somewhere in the snow. HELP ME
Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby ender516 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 am

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:If a suggestion is rejected, then a new member joins, couldn't that new member make the same suggestion? If so, even if the new member checked the forums to find the rejected suggestions, couldn't the new member still add his/her opinion by opening a new suggestion? If a veteran player, who has been around for a long time comes up with an idea that is the same as a rejected suggestion, wouldn't the site be interested to know how many people support the notion or the whole suggestion?

I guess I'm not understanding why it is wrong to have ideas and to come up with new iterations of previously rejected suggestions. Even if the suggestion is exactly the same as a rejected suggestion, I would think management would be interested in knowing how many people are interested in seeing a particular change.


Wouldn't the same be accomplished by the "additional member" (if you will) posting in one of the MANY, MANY threads that already exist on the subject? In fact, I would strongly suggest it would be more efficient to do so, as management is just as likely as I am to get sick of pulling up all the damn threads on the same subject and just stop at some point.

I completely agree that posting to an existing topic is the right way to express support for an existing idea, and management is already insulated from the vast majority of suggestions by the organization of the Suggestions forum with its Submitted Suggestions subforum. However, I believe my post did not fall under an existing topic. I proposed a Solitaire mode. It was intended as a way for a new player to become familiar with the mechanics of the game as played on this site without waiting for another player, and possibly as a way to explore the idiosyncracies of a particular map. It was not intended to be a game between players with no points at stake, nor was it intended to involve any AI. Lacking any real competitive aspect, I felt that it would not detract in any significant way from regular games. Because of these distinctions, after searching the fora unsuccessfully for any mention of "solitaire", I started a new topic. Regrettably, it did not draw as much discussion as I had hoped and never came close to being submitted (perhaps because it was mistaken for another "no points game" suggestion). Unfortunately, now it has been merged into a topic which hides its distinctive qualities. Could the topic title at least be modified to "Unrated Games/No Points Games/Solitaire Games"?

Also, despite the claims in many posts that the "no-points games" suggestion has been rejected in the past, no search of mine has yielded any post by lackattack to that effect, nor has anyone else come forward with a relevant quote. Had I wanted to support the "no-points games" suggestion, this would have encouraged me to post, but since my idea was similar but distinct, I felt perfectly justified in proposing it.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Solitaire Mode

Postby Queen_Herpes on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:I think the reasoning was he wanted people to have to risk points to see how a map is. It would make it too easy for people to become experts at maps. Now I can see how it could be good for new players. They could develop the nack of the game, but I could still see High ranks using this to become better at the harder maps without risking points to learn it.


Why would anyone have a problem with a player who gets better at a map without risking points? How could that possibly be cause an issue with this site?
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
User avatar
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Right Here. Look into my eyes.
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login