Unrated, Unranked, or No Points Games [REJECTED]

Suggestions that have not stood up to community review.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Would you like to see an unranked option when creating games?

Yes
52%
No
33%
Dont care
15%

Total votes : 33

Postby Pain Killer on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:36 am

if you want to play for fun just play don't worry about points :wink:
Lieutenant Pain Killer

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:54 am

I like the idea

Then i could play against my friends that are cooks and not worry about losing 40+ points every time they team up on me :wink:
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

"Fun Game" Option

Postby Burning Star IV on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:06 pm

Suggestion: A pre-game option to make a game a "Fun game."

Specifics: An option when making a game to have a game where no points are gained or lost, and the game no longer counts against your record, win percentage, or rank.

Why is it needed?: Because! I have a friend who missed 38 games because of a vacation, so he dropped from 1st Class Sgt. to a Cook! So now, he has the skill of a 1st Class Sgt., but the points of a Cook. So when I play him, he has an advantage in points.
A mall? We're infiltrating a mall?! Who the f*ck defends a MALL?!
Cook Burning Star IV

Postby AK_iceman on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Aren't all games fun games?

Btw, this has been suggested several times already, check out the to-do list in the sticky at the top of this forum.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (2)

Suggestion: No points game option for private games

Postby JeF on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:39 pm

I think there should be an option when you are creating a private game for no points to be gained/lost when the game is finished.

I recently recruited several friends to CC and to start with, they usually want to play together in private games that I start. The problem is that it is destroying my ranking to play with them because they are all new and I have a higher rank then them. This option would be great anytime you are introducing people to CC or if you just want to play a friendly game.

I think this option could be abused in public games so that is why I have suggested it for private games only.
Lieutenant JeF

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)

Postby misterman10 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:43 pm

It's been suggested before and rejected every time. Basically, this will never pass, so WIN your games :D
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Medals: 3
Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby maniacmath17 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Any reason as to why it's been rejected? I think it would work well for tournament games since it seems higher rated players may not join some tournaments due to the risk of losing too many points. It could also be a way for people to try out some new strategies that they aren't confident in using during a real game yet.
show: Top Secret

2006-10-25 21:16:00 - NUKE: wtf it says dminus got 2 troops for holding oceania what is that lol
Major maniacmath17

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Xyl on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:31 pm

I like this idea, although I think I'd still play almost entirely rated games. Sometimes you just want a relaxed game where you don't have to worry about your rating. Sometimes you want to play a teaching game where you deliberately play badly to help a lower-ranked player learn, or a demonstration game where you explain your strategy.

Both the Free Internet Chess Server and the Internet Go Server have an option to play an unrated game. It doesn't seem to have wrecked those (and most of the games are still rated) so I don't see why it would be a bad idea here.
Major Xyl

Postby kwanton on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:40 pm

Meh the only abuse I can think of is high ranked players exclusively playing no-point games in order to keep their position on the scoreboard. A way around this is to maybe limit the amount of no point games per month.
Click the Esoog!
Private kwanton

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)

Postby Incandenza on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Unless it's a sticky issue with the software, I'm with maniac on this one. A no points option would open up the game for people with higher scores, if nothing else. Anyone that's over 2000 that for some reason might want to play an 800 at 1v1 is lying if they say that the thought of how many points they'd potentially lose never crosses their mind.

Plus, as said before, it would conceptually open up clan challenges.

And maybe I have a lack of imagination, but I fail to see how the no points option could be manipulated to a person's benefit, like the surrender button or the many freestyle loopholes.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Postby 3seven1 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:36 am

How about if it's a no point game, then it's not recorded if you win or lose. It would be a game "just for fun". No points, no win/lose. If thats the case should it be an available option for for public games too?
Corporal 1st Class 3seven1

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:06 pm

correct me if im wrong but isn't the option to bet point before a game on teh todo list? and if so you could just bet 0 points lol
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

I agree…

Postby Keredrex on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:55 pm

No Points Option Would Be Great... I also Went through that Tutorial situation with friends i invited and it raped my Score....It would have been great to allow this ,,, it would also give players a chance to TEACH/LEARN the boards and understand certain strategic positions Before Risking Your RANK....it would also allow certain TEAMS (as in me and my Bro) to play each other without Reducing our Own Ranks
Lieutenant Keredrex

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:40 pm

Fireside Poet told me theres something like this in progress...
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Incandenza wrote:Unless it's a sticky issue with the software, I'm with maniac on this one. A no points option would open up the game for people with higher scores, if nothing else. Anyone that's over 2000 that for some reason might want to play an 800 at 1v1 is lying if they say that the thought of how many points they'd potentially lose never crosses their mind.

Not necessarily true. I reached 2000pts yesterday, and i started 6 open 2 player games. Sure I lost some points, but I'm convinced most people play here for the fun, not points. But I do agree that a no points option would benefit those that do care for the points.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby The1exile on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Lieutenant The1exile

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby JeF on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:39 pm

The1exile wrote:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1218

but even in that post no reason is given for it being rejected
Lieutenant JeF

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)

Postby kratos644 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:00 pm

and the mods, well wicked at least, has a thread for mentors and metorees well that option would make it easier for the mentor to play a teaching game with their mentoree and show them different situations in the game and how to react to them this shouldnt have been rejected its an excellent idea
Major kratos644

Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (14)
Training Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (24)

"Sparring Mode"

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:55 pm

Suggestion Idea: Sparring Mode

Specifics: Sparring Mode would be an option you could select when creating a game. It would allow you to make a no points game, so the winner gains no points and the loser losses no points.

Why it is needed: This way somebody with lesser points could challenge a higher ranked player to see what it is like to "play with the big dogs". It would also allow for friends to play eachother for fun without having to worry about stealing eachother's points. It's not really needed, it would just add another fun aspect to the game imho.

Edit: There could be a 1 or 2 game limit of this type at a time, so a person cannot only play "Sparring" games.
Last edited by The Fuzzy Pengui on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby AfroDwarf on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:00 pm

This sort of thing has been suggested many times and always rejected.
Lieutenant AfroDwarf

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: "Sparring Mode"

Postby Rocketry on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:09 pm

The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:Suggestion Idea: Sparring Mode

Specifics: Sparring Mode would be an option you could select when creating a game. It would allow you to make a no points game, so the winner gains no points and the loser losses no points.

Why it is needed: This way somebody with lesser points could challenge a higher ranked player to see what it is like to "play with the big dogs". It would also allow for friends to play eachother for fun without having to worry about stealing eachother's points. It's not really needed, it would just add another fun aspect to the game imho.

could be good in some cases but i imagine some people would only ever play no-points games to not risk their points. I guess competition would breakdown too.

Rocketry
Lieutenant Rocketry

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Rocketry wrote:could be good in some cases but i imagine some people would only ever play no-points games to not risk their points. I guess competition would breakdown too.Rocketry

True..editing the first post to help keep this to a minimum

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby Rocketry on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:13 pm

The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:
Rocketry wrote:could be good in some cases but i imagine some people would only ever play no-points games to not risk their points. I guess competition would breakdown too.Rocketry

True..editing the first post to help keep this to a minimum

All the same - i voted yes. I t would mean i could play 1 v 1s and not worry about being shit at them

Rocketry
Lieutenant Rocketry

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby The1exile on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:15 pm

Lieutenant The1exile

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:21 pm

The1exile wrote:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1218

:oops: Was looking at another thread and I suggested this. Someone said it was a good idea so I posted it :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Rejected Suggestions