Reinstate game option “Freestyle - Allow Double Turns"

Suggestions that have not stood up to community review.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Good idea?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 23

Reinstate game option “Freestyle - Allow Double Turns"

Postby alstergren on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:01 pm

Concise description:
  • Reinstate game option “Freestyle - Allow Double Turns”.

Specifics:
With the newly implemented “Freestyle improved / Freestyle Double-Turn "Loophole" is Closed” change to the game engine, see:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95367

I suggest that the old game option “Allow Double Turns” is reinstated, see:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29#p71
and (for it’s partial and full removal):
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1319#p15667
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3057&start=0

The removal was justified with:

lackattack wrote:Freestyle Simplified:
Speaking of freestyle, I never liked the complication of having two types (double turns / no double turns). Freestyle (double turns) is not so popular and is not newbie-friendly or balanced in my opinion. Freestyle (no double turns) is misleading because you can pull a "fake double turn" by finishing your turn just before the 24 hours are up and playing again in the next round. Solution: drop Freestyle (double turns) and rename Freestyle (no double turns) to plain old Freestyle. This game type is now balanced and follows the KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid!).

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
With the fine-tuning and, at least what I assume/believe, the final and definite game engine coding of the freestyle option, bringing back the “Freestyle - Allow Double Turns” setting would be a nice compliment to the multitude of game options we can indulge in at CC. This is an obvious benefit I would think (options increases choice and the range of target audience, long-run it’s beneficial to the site as it increases life length and the number of paying customers).

But what about the issues prompting it to be removed in the first place? Well, I believe that they are simply not there anymore for the following reasons.

1. With the latest game engine change, a “Freestyle (no double turns)” option is no longer misleading as no one can, by taking advantage of the game engine, pull a double turn.

2. A lot of water has flowed under the bridges since Jul 2006 and I’m sure that a “Freestyle (double turns)” option would be reasonably popular if re-implemented. This as the number of players have risen and with the end of de facto double turns and back-to-back turns as freestyle strategies (due to game engine changes), what is left of original freestyle is, well, not what it used to be at least. This option will find its audience among part of the crowd who enjoy playing freestyle.

3. Any issues of “newbie-friendliness” or not is partly guaranteed by the fact that the instructions page and option will actually mean what they read. In addition, to prevent farming and to keep new players from having a bad first encounter, new players could nowadays simply be blocked from this option (as they are with respect to e.g. team games, certain maps etc.).

As a final note:
This is not a discussion about the horrors of double turns. That discussion has ended I would think. This is a suggestion for a clearly defined game option. If you don’t like it, state so but don’t come whining about how unfair it is with double turns (that isn’t really relevant).
Last edited by alstergren on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Major alstergren

Medals: 142
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (20)
General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (32)

Re: Reinstate game option “Freestyle - Allow Double Turns"

Postby demonfork on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:16 pm

I love this idea. With it all of the little bitches can play the sequential version of freestyle and all of the men can play the true version.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Medals: 61
Conqueror Achievement (1) Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2)
Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby sully800 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:43 pm

demonfork wrote:I love this idea. With it all of the little bitches can play the sequential version of freestyle and all of the men can play the true version.

If you want to have a suggestion be looked at please add to said suggestion in a reasonable manner. Alstergren presented a reasoned point of view, while your mocking attitude adds nothing and is not welcome.

I think it is not a bad idea to allow a full double turn version of freestyle, with the condition that new recruits are not allowed to play it. The structure for this is already in place so it might be a good way to allow double turns while protecting new recruits from abuse.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby NickPapagiorgio on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:02 pm

alstergren wrote:I’m sure that a “Freestyle (double turns)” option would be reasonably popular if re-implemented.

Those are the only types of games I play. Considering every game I start is usually filled in under 3 hours, well, that should be enough to prove it.

I am highly pissed at whatever happened to the Freestyle gaming options. Case in point: I have a game open right now where I have eliminated 3 of the other 4 players.

The person still active missed his turn, so now I'm stuck in that game, waiting...well, 48 hours now I suppose, unless he decides to come back and play.

So go back to the last settings or I will join the bandwagon of people that will not renew their membership. I will also take down all of the Conquer Club graphics I've put up pimping the site out.
Sergeant 1st Class NickPapagiorgio

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby alex951 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:38 pm

i agree with the double turn option, i like to play doodle assassin speed games and the no double turn messes the play really bad, everyone that plays those game expect the double turn like they expect tax's
Corporal alex951

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)

Postby Bones2484 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:51 pm

NickPapagiorgio wrote:
alstergren wrote:I’m sure that a “Freestyle (double turns)” option would be reasonably popular if re-implemented.

Those are the only types of games I play. Considering every game I start is usually filled in under 3 hours, well, that should be enough to prove it.

I am highly pissed at whatever happened to the Freestyle gaming options. Case in point: I have a game open right now where I have eliminated 3 of the other 4 players.

The person still active missed his turn, so now I'm stuck in that game, waiting...well, 48 hours now I suppose, unless he decides to come back and play.

So go back to the last settings or I will join the bandwagon of people that will not renew their membership. I will also take down all of the Conquer Club graphics I've put up pimping the site out.

This is not what is meant by "double turn".
Major Bones2484

Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9) General Contribution (1)

Postby alstergren on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 am

I think this deserves a bump.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Major alstergren

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (20)
General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (32)

Postby 40kguy on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:33 pm

alex951 wrote:i agree with the double turn option, i like to play doodle assassin speed games and the no double turn messes the play really bad, everyone that plays those game expect the double turn like they expect tax's

i have to agree with you on that one.
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Sergeant 1st Class 40kguy

Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:32 pm

yes they should
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby sully800 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm not sure anyone in this thread besides alstergren actually understands the idea.

Just to clarify, this suggestion is for double turns allowed games. No loophole, so you don't have to run out of time or miss a card. You just finish one round and then you can start the next round. If you all understood that already, then pardon me, I just wanted to make it clear.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby alex951 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:09 pm

thanks for clarify sully, i read the tread and still think its a good idea. guess i'm too new to know what he was taking about specially with the loop hole this just happening
Corporal alex951

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)

Postby alstergren on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:07 am

sully800 wrote:I'm not sure anyone in this thread besides alstergren actually understands the idea.

Just to clarify, this suggestion is for double turns allowed games. No loophole, so you don't have to run out of time or miss a card. You just finish one round and then you can start the next round. If you all understood that already, then pardon me, I just wanted to make it clear.

Indeed.

It puzzles me that people vote against an extra option without stating any reasons.
Major alstergren

Return to Rejected Suggestions