Conquer Club

NAACP Cries Racist at the Tea Party

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: NAACP Cries Racist at the Tea Party

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:35 pm

gatoraubrey2 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:How do you believe that Fox has provided any sort of proof? They CLAIMED that's what the original statement said. Do you seriously equate that with proof?

I was trying to figure out where your disagreement arose. I now know that it stems from the fact that you don't believe that FOX has proof that the original statement did contain those phrases.

I don't equate FOX news with absolute proof, no. I will try (when I'm not at work) to find further proof. However, with the NAACP website acknowledging that their statement was amended, but not providing the original text, it looks like it will be a struggle to find the initial statement. It seems as though they don't want to share it, at least.

Hopefully another news organization that you will find acceptable did a story on the original statement, before it was changed. We shall see...

It's not at all that I find Fox News unacceptable...though I'll admit I view them with the same jaundiced view I give to most other media...it's that just a statement by them making a claim isn't enough. It wouldn't be enough for you if I did that (and rightly so), so why do they get that honor? Now if they had included a transcript or something of that nature, that would make all the difference in the world.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:How do you believe that Fox has provided any sort of proof? They CLAIMED that's what the original statement said. Do you seriously equate that with proof?

I found two stories from the Kansas City Star, the largest print-media source in KC where the NAACP Convention was held. The first gives a quote of the language of the original resolution, while the second indicates the resolution was amended.
The resolution, scheduled for a vote as early as Tuesday by delegates attending the annual NAACP convention in Kansas City, calls upon ā€œall people of good will to repudiate the racism of the Tea Parties, and to stand in opposition to its drive to push our country back to the pre-civil rights era.ā€

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/11/2076909/naacp-takes-critical-look-at-tea.html

Good article, but it actually contradicts itself enough that I don't know which part is the non-typo. It starts off saying that it was only regarding elements, then it gives the statement relating to the Tea Party, then it goes on to talk about it only regarding elements again.

This is still a lot like the Fox article, to be honest...except perhaps more confusing.

Like you mentioned (I think it was you), it's probably going to be difficult to locate what that original statement was. On that, I have two thoughts:
1) I can't stand for denouncing them if we can't find the actual statement.
2) If they had the integrity to alter their statement to be more in line with their intent, then I say "good for them". You can BELIEVE it was only because they received pressure if you'd like (I don't particularly believe that), but the reality is that they did make the change.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:42 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:YOUR claim that the NAACP is "racist" because, a few days BEFORE the ouster of said racist, the NAACP made comments about Tea Party racist elements indicates a strong desire on your part to simply attack and to ignore evidence.

For what it's worth, I do also consider the NAACP to be a racist organization. Though not for the reasons he states.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:YOUR claim that the NAACP is "racist" because, a few days BEFORE the ouster of said racist, the NAACP made comments about Tea Party racist elements indicates a strong desire on your part to simply attack and to ignore evidence.

For what it's worth, I do also consider the NAACP to be a racist organization. Though not for the reasons he states.

That would be another debate. (one worth having, perhaps.. not even saying I disagree, but it's a different topic).

Nightstrike's reasoning, though, has little to do with evidence and all to do with ideology.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Woodruff wrote:Good article, but it actually contradicts itself enough that I don't know which part is the non-typo. It starts off saying that it was only regarding elements, then it gives the statement relating to the Tea Party, then it goes on to talk about it only regarding elements again.

I obviously didn't write the article, but my guess is that the interviews and statements about the elements part were made after the amendment in the resolution. This means that when the statements were made, they referred to the change and obviously wouldn't refer to the original language.

PLAYER57832 wrote:Given that Fox is the one posting the NAACP video of the ousted Agricultural secretary (though they have since apologized for that), I would say we have reason to doubt Fox's intent on this issue.

Clarification: Fox aired the tape only after she was fired from the Department of Agriculture.
Major Night Strike

Postby gatoraubrey2 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Woodruff wrote:It's not at all that I find Fox News unacceptable...though I'll admit I view them with the same jaundiced view I give to most other media...it's that just a statement by them making a claim isn't enough. It wouldn't be enough for you if I did that (and rightly so), so why do they get that honor? Now if they had included a transcript or something of that nature, that would make all the difference in the world.

Though it may sound as though I do, I really don't disagree with you. You said in another post that you can't stand by condemning them without evidence, and I think you're exactly right. The only challenge is in finding other news outlets who are willing to report negatively about the NAACP, which you will agree is a dangerous move.

I, too, believe that the NAACP is racist, and I don't find it at all hard to believe that they did what Fox is accusing them of. But, like you, I would like to see more sources, just to be sure.

PLAYER57832 wrote:Given that Fox is the one posting the NAACP video of the ousted Agricultural secretary (though they have since apologized for that), I would say we have reason to doubt Fox's intent on this issue.

However, that whole line of debate is rather besides the point. If an organization knows it has racists and doesn't do a thing about it, then they are, by implication a harbinger of racism. In this case, it does not take each member (or any majority) coming out and saying they are racist or acting in racist ways. If the organization just stands by and lets the racist talk continue, the actions continue, then it is guilty of racism itself.

This is why it is important that the statement came BEFORE the ouster of this guy. Before, there was little evidence of the Tea Party taking action against racists who claimed to be within their ranks.

What is it with you and your repeated lack of understanding about what specific threads are about? We are talking about a specific statement by the NAACP: whether or not it happened, and, if it did, whether it was a deliberate attempt to discredit the Tea Party. You come in and address the issue in a 35-word paragraph, then launch into a tirade about how the Tea Party is racist. If you find this debate to be "besides the point," then start your own thread about something that you think is more to the point. Quit hijacking other people's threads to preach about your sad, misguided agenda.
Corporal 1st Class gatoraubrey2

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:26 pm

gatoraubrey2 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:It's not at all that I find Fox News unacceptable...though I'll admit I view them with the same jaundiced view I give to most other media...it's that just a statement by them making a claim isn't enough. It wouldn't be enough for you if I did that (and rightly so), so why do they get that honor? Now if they had included a transcript or something of that nature, that would make all the difference in the world.

Though it may sound as though I do, I really don't disagree with you. You said in another post that you can't stand by condemning them without evidence, and I think you're exactly right. The only challenge is in finding other news outlets who are willing to report negatively about the NAACP, which you will agree is a dangerous move.

I don't honestly believe the NAACP is that powerful, no. I think most media would be more than happy to do so if they thought it was newsworthy.

Postby gatoraubrey2 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Woodruff wrote:I don't honestly believe the NAACP is that powerful, no. I think most media would be more than happy to do so if they thought it was newsworthy.

That would be an interesting debate. It seems like accusing the NAACP of wrongdoing leads to accusations of racism toward the accusing party. Fox is being accused of it now, and they were accused of racism when they exposed the ACORN wrongdoing as well. Regardless, though, I think we both agree that more proof is necessary (once I've read Night Strike's articles from KC I can comment on them further) before the NAACP is proven guilty.
Corporal 1st Class gatoraubrey2

Postby bradleybadly on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Lootifer wrote:I earn well above average income for my area, i'm educated and I support left wing politics.

jbrettlip wrote:You live in New Zealand. We will call you when we need to make another Hobbit movie.
Corporal bradleybadly

Postby King Doctor on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:55 pm

bradleybadly wrote:http://johnnydollar.us/files/100725fhwir.php

Did not click that link because the linking user is a well known conserva-troll and private-data phisher.
Private 1st Class King Doctor

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:57 pm

King Doctor wrote:

Did not click that link because the linking user is a well known conserva-troll and private-data phisher.

It's a site about how some are blaming Fox News for the wrongful firing of Sharrod even though the only aired the story after she was fired.
Major Night Strike

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Night Strike wrote:
King Doctor wrote:

It's a site about how some are blaming Fox News for the wrongful firing of Sharrod even though the only aired the story after she was fired.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major Phatscotty

Postby john9blue on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:41 pm

King Doctor wrote:

TROLL!

TROLL!

People say the same about Scotty when they have no other defense. How odd.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm

words will never hurt me
Major Phatscotty

Postby GabonX on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Phatscotty wrote:words will never hurt me

Depends how loud they are..
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby King Doctor on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:47 am

john9blue wrote:People say the same about Scotty when they have no other defense.

Who?

Oh, you mean that guy who didn't think that this was a racist image?

Click image to enlarge.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=122950

Yeah, I vaguely remember him...
Private 1st Class King Doctor

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,