Conquer Club

Gamers Can "Play" as Taliban

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Gamers Can "Play" as Taliban

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:20 pm

EA's new Medal Of Honor game is set in modern-day Afghanistan. Here is the video interview on Fox and Friends with Karen Merideth, a Gold-Star mom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIGrSBmLUBM

I see what she is saying, but Gold-Star moms and their families are pretty heavily out-numbered by gamers. I even agree with her to a point, but I still want to play the game. I feel kinda bad about it now.
"My son didn't get to start over when he was killed."
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Re: Gamers Can "Play" as Taliban

Postby mviola on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:"My son didn't get to start over when he was killed."

He shouldn't have went overseas then.
High Score: 2906
Major mviola

Postby Baron Von PWN on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:38 pm

meh.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby heavycola on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:41 pm

My favourite video game is called 'predator drone.' Basically you hide out in a mountain in colorado, and they give you a playstation controller, and you try and bomb the shit out of as many afghan wedding parties as possible. It's wicked awesome.
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby The Bison King on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:53 pm

mviola wrote:

duh.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby mviola on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:15 pm

heavycola wrote:My favourite video game is called 'predator drone.' Basically you hide out in a mountain in colorado, and they give you a playstation controller, and you try and bomb the shit out of as many afghan wedding parties as possible. It's wicked awesome.

I can't believe I missed this post...
Major mviola

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:15 pm

The Bison King wrote:
mviola wrote:

duh.

What's wrong with you guys? Seriously.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby mviola on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:34 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
mviola wrote:

duh.

People who complain when their son/daughter gets killed in the army should probably know ahead of time that there is a chance they might not come home. It's not like there having a party over there...
Major mviola

Postby The Bison King on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:35 pm

mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
mviola wrote:

duh.

People who complain when their son/daughter gets killed in the army should probably know ahead of time that there is a chance they might not come home. It's not like there having a party over there...

duh.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:36 pm

mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
mviola wrote:

duh.

Yeah, that's not really an acceptable answer, but, hey, you're entitled to your opinion, warped as it is.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:52 pm

mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
mviola wrote:

duh.

Wow. There really aren't words to really express how screwed up this opinion is.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby mviola on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:56 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Yeah, that's not really an acceptable answer, but, hey, you're entitled to your opinion, warped as it is.

That's just the truth though. If they are going to make the sacrifice, then they should be seen as a hero. But the parents complaining gets to me...
Major mviola

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:59 pm

mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

That's just the truth though. If they are going to make the sacrifice, then they should be seen as a hero. But the parents complaining gets to me...

"Your child, who you raised for 18 or more years, who you loved and cherished, who you watched grow from a baby into a young man or woman, is dead. They aren't coming back. You'll never see them again. But, stop complaining. It gets to me."

Seriously? Maybe you mean "complaining public relative to video games which are fake." Maybe, hopefully, that's what you mean.

Postby mviola on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:06 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

"Your child, who you raised for 18 or more years, who you loved and cherished, who you watched grow from a baby into a young man or woman, is dead. They aren't coming back. You'll never see them again. But, stop complaining. It gets to me."

Seriously? Maybe you mean "complaining public relative to video games which are fake." Maybe, hopefully, that's what you mean.

In a draft like in Vietnam or WWII, I could understand this, but not when enrolling in the army is completely voluntary especially for the war on terror.
Major mviola

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:25 pm

So, if your son or daughter was ever killed in combat, you would just shrug it off? No remorse or anything? Otherwise, you would be a hypocrite.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:18 pm

First off, a few things to point out.

1. The average age of people that buy that type of game is 39? Holy shit...

2. People DO die in wrestling. RIP Owen Hart =(

And now for reals.

She kinda contradicted herself in her argument against it. First she said it WASN'T reality, then she said it was. Now, I didn't leave during any other war, but I feel like during WWII and WWI at least, for those who weren't near the action (Americans mostly I bet), that kids and such did have games like "omg! damn nazi! imma shoot you!"

But, that's a bunch of little kids who, in the eyes of the parents of the soldiers who died in the war, didn't exist (because they didn't know them and they probably didn't know about these games).

That doesn't mean I think EA Sports should get a nice punch in the face for this. Fucking idiots. At least wait a few years for the dust to settle.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby mviola on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:32 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:So, if your son or daughter was ever killed in combat, you would just shrug it off? No remorse or anything? Otherwise, you would be a hypocrite.

One, I wouldn't allow my son/daughter to enlist. But if they did, I mould mourn them. But I'd get over it past that. I wouldn't start making public statements about what is ok and not ok for a video game developer to make.
Major mviola

Postby Woodruff on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:EA's new Medal Of Honor game is set in modern-day Afghanistan. Here is the video interview on Fox and Friends with Karen Merideth, a Gold-Star mom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIGrSBmLUBM
I see what she is saying, but Gold-Star moms and their families are pretty heavily out-numbered by gamers. I even agree with her to a point, but I still want to play the game. I feel kinda bad about it now.
"My son didn't get to start over when he was killed."

As a retired military guy and gamer myself, I honestly don't really have a problem with this. Though like you, I absolutely do see her point of view and don't blame her at all for feeling the way she does. I probably would too, in her shoes.

mviola wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
mviola wrote:

duh.

Of course that's true. But with that knowledge there always resides the hope that it won't happen. And just because it does happen doesn't make the pain of it go away, certainly. And MOST complaints from parents is from the pain, really.

mviola wrote:In a draft like in Vietnam or WWII, I could understand this, but not when enrolling in the army is completely voluntary especially for the war on terror.

You have to remember...it wasn't necessarily voluntary on the parents' part. Only on the military individual's part.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby The Bison King on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:05 pm

So it's warped to think that if you don't want your child to die, you shouldn't let them fight in a war? I'm not saying that it isn't sad that it happened I'm saying that it shouldn't of. How is that warped?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Look at the lack of intelligence of the highest rated comments for that video. I could care less what the ignorant gamers think.

This was a bad move by EA IMO. I don't think it was good idea to make the game to begin with, but at least don't allow the user to kill American soldiers. That is just a pathetic move by EA and they should have had more foresight.

BTW MV - I think you posted some cowardly comments on this thread. I'll leave it at that because I'm not trying to flame.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby pmchugh on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:59 pm

As horrible as it is to lose a family member in combat, what the f*ck does this have to do with EA's game?

It a friggin game, in COD you can kill american soldiers in GTA you can kill cops etc etc This is the typical thing where someone who has suffered takes it out on the wrong people and no-one can disagree because of said persons suffering. I wont buy the game if it does come out I really don't give a sh*t about it but this is just much ado about nothing.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby The Bison King on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:16 pm

pmchugh wrote:As horrible as it is to lose a family member in combat, what the f*ck does this have to do with EA's game?

It a friggin game, in COD you can kill american soldiers in GTA you can kill cops etc etc This is the typical thing where someone who has suffered takes it out on the wrong people and no-one can disagree because of said persons suffering. I wont buy the game if it does come out I really don't give a sh*t about it but this is just much ado about nothing.

It's a fluff story. Let a mom vent for a while on national television. Nothing comes of it but everyone feels a little bit better.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Georgerx7di on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Oh this looks like fun. I don't play many video games, but I must go out and buy this one now. Thanks for making this thread.
Major Georgerx7di

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 am

pmchugh wrote:As horrible as it is to lose a family member in combat, what the f*ck does this have to do with EA's game?

I have friends and family in the military. Fortunately none of them have been killed. You don't have to have a loved one killed in the military to know that this game is offensive. Yes I realize that many gamers legitimately enjoy the game and they don't have the same mindset as this lady. But the game is in poor taste.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Frigidus on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:41 am

I'm just gonna quote what I said in a private forum.

Frigidus wrote:There are plenty of games out there that let you play as Germans in WWII, and I can't say I've ever heard complaints about that. Anyways, despite knowing virtually nothing about the game, I'm sure that the single player aspect of the game takes place only from the American perspective.

The bottom line for me is that in your average multiplayer First Person Shooters there have to be at least two sides (there are exceptions, but they are becoming increasingly rare). If you're basing your game off of real events, that means that two real groups are going to be killing each other.
Sergeant Frigidus

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,