Plethora of Mafia Games...

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How many Mafia games going on at a time is enough?

None, I hate Mafia!
15%
1-2 A little Mafia is all that is needed.
15%
3-5 A standaed variety never hurt anyone.
22%
6-9 More is better!
7%
10-15 Never can be enough Mafia!
2%
16+ You mean this is a Risk site?
11%
The topic creator is a dumbass...
28%

Total votes : 46

Postby Fircoal on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:50 pm

vgmmaster wrote:I voted that 3-5 is a good number to have at any one time. The reason I voted the way I did is mainly because we don't have a seperate forum for mafia games on this forum. That, and I'm very tempted to join half the games that are started.
It doesn't matter about the temptation, I join anyway. :D
ImageImageVote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Captain Fircoal

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby autoload on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:55 pm

Fircoal wrote:Same here, my roles are all randomly assigning, and usually from now on I'm going to try to get someone to check the set-up to see if it's balanced.

Yeah, non vanilla role mafia games are hard to balance! :wink:
Major autoload

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Fircoal on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:26 pm

autoload wrote:
Fircoal wrote:Same here, my roles are all randomly assigning, and usually from now on I'm going to try to get someone to check the set-up to see if it's balanced.

:D Probably, I like them better, probably the name will be changed to show it's Non-Vanilla. :D
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Captain Fircoal

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby Incandenza on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:26 pm

autoload wrote:

Just out of idle curiosity, how do you determine if the roles are balanced or not? Is there some sort of precedent or guide or what not on mafiascum, or do you just kinda eyeball it and say something like 'that looks like a town turkey shoot, maybe the mafia need a godfather'?
Colonel Incandenza

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Postby autoload on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:29 pm

Basically what you just said.

Something I like to do is add or subtract Vanilla townie roles until it looks right. I go through possible scenarios in my head and weigh in what could happen before going through with a set up.
Major autoload

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)

Postby Fircoal on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Either that, or if your not good at that yet, like me, you ask someone for a review at Mafiascum, there is a thread for it.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Incandenza on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:42 pm

I would imagine that putting the game together could potentially be more fun (or at least less day-to-day hassle) than the game itself...

And auto, I'm very much looking forward to your next game... should be a laugh. (of course, having said that, I'll probably get killed on night 2 or lynched on day 1... :lol: )
Colonel Incandenza

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Postby autoload on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:57 pm

We shall see...
Major autoload

Postby vgmmaster on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Incandenza wrote:I would imagine that putting the game together could potentially be more fun (or at least less day-to-day hassle) than the game itself...

And auto, I'm very much looking forward to your next game... should be a laugh. (of course, having said that, I'll probably get killed on night 2 or lynched on day 1... :lol: )

We'll make sure of it...just for you. :wink:
Highest Score: 1304
Corporal 1st Class vgmmaster

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby Fircoal on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Incandenza wrote:I would imagine that putting the game together could potentially be more fun (or at least less day-to-day hassle) than the game itself...

Putting together the game is great. And even better when you fill it with non-vannila roles.
Captain Fircoal

Postby autoload on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:38 am

Having no Vanilla Roles kind of goes against why Mafia was invented in the first place.

Amazingly, I would rather play as Vanilla Townie than as Mafia.
Major autoload

Postby Fircoal on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 pm

autoload wrote:Having no Vanilla Roles kind of goes against why Mafia was invented in the first place.

Not really.

I'd be happy no matter what role I get, there are pluses and minus to both.
Captain Fircoal

Postby everywhere116 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:46 pm

autoload wrote:Having no Vanilla Roles kind of goes against why Mafia was invented in the first place.

I am just the opposite. I've only played the mafia once (in MB's quick game) and I want to be one again.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby autoload on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:12 am

Blah.

Mafia, in it's simplest form, is a battle of true wits. Any more nowadays most people over rely on power roles. I found games where I am the Cop that I play too conservatively, for fear of being killed by mafia before I can make a few investigations.

Being a Vanilla townie takes away all the pressure and you can attack the game without abandon because if you die the town isn't losing a hugely valuable role.
Major autoload

Postby Fircoal on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

autoload wrote:Blah.

Mafia, in it's simplest form, is a battle of true wits. Any more nowadays most people over rely on power roles. I found games where I am the Cop that I play too conservatively, for fear of being killed by mafia before I can make a few investigations.

Being a Vanilla townie takes away all the pressure and you can attack the game without abandon because if you die the town isn't losing a hugely valuable role.

That's what I like about being a Vanilla townie. While a cop is too relied on most of the time, I like using roles that are not helpful power-roles such as naive cop.
Captain Fircoal

Postby wicked on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:21 am

Auto, when are you planning your next one for? I want to get in it. IC said he'll probably do another as well. I don't care how many are going, as long as the ones I'm in have good quality players. People who deadbeat the game or don't participate well, or at all, really put a damper on things.
Major wicked

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby hawkeye on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:22 am

The second and last choice.
Cook hawkeye

Postby autoload on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:30 am

wicked wrote:Auto, when are you planning your next one for? I want to get in it. IC said he'll probably do another as well. I don't care how many are going, as long as the ones I'm in have good quality players. People who deadbeat the game or don't participate well, or at all, really put a damper on things.

Well, next week I will be having a bit more free time than usual. I have my son this weekend, but I will see about fine tuning the role PM's and getting some semblance of a game ready.

Look for sign ups soon.
Major autoload

Postby Fircoal on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:59 am

autoload wrote:
wicked wrote:Auto, when are you planning your next one for? I want to get in it. IC said he'll probably do another as well. I don't care how many are going, as long as the ones I'm in have good quality players. People who deadbeat the game or don't participate well, or at all, really put a damper on things.

Well, next week I will be having a bit more free time than usual. I have my son this weekend, but I will see about fine tuning the role PM's and getting some semblance of a game ready.

Look for sign ups soon.

=D> \:D/

Also, look for ideas thread for my Non-Villina Mafia 2. Which I'm guessing is not going to be that popular.
Captain Fircoal

Postby everywhere116 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:02 pm

I will watch like a hawk.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five