Conquer Club

It's my birthday.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

It's my birthday.

Postby Jesse, Bad Boy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:49 pm

That's right, the big 2-9.

And I have some advice for you young folks.

When I was young like you folks, I had a pretty rough life. My family and I fought, I had very few friends due to my anti-social nature fueled by my fathers constant abuse, and I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.

Throughout high school, I moved from school to school, unable to fit in anywhere, and always being the target of pranks and constant victimization. I fought constantly with my classmates, and in some rare cases, the teachers as well. I had a violent temper, and I was miserable. I had, suffice to say, the most miserable high school years ever. Granted, my grades put me at the top of the class, but even a sour old scholar like me can tell you that book learnin' isn't everything to life.

My first year of college was no better. I had several failed relationships, and my roommate decided to off himself one night in my room while I was at the library. My grades were poor, and I ultimately had to drop out as a consequence for my failing grades.

Understanding that my life was heading in a direction that I did not agree with and want, I signed up for the United States Navy for a six year stint at the age of 19. I went to Great Lakes, Illinois were I trained for 8 weeks to become a sailor. Afterwards, I was stationed in Charleston, S.C. and aboard the U.S.S. Mahan.

During my time in the Navy, I got my academic self back on track and took college classes supplemented by the Montgomery G.I. Bill (for those of you who don't know what this is, it's a fund that takes a small portion of your pay and saves it for college). I continued doing what I loved (Biology and History) while dabbling into interests of mine (A course in basic economics, archaeology, and anthropology). I ended up dropping Biology as a major and went on to take History as a major and Archeology as a minor.

Shortly after my discharge, I met my future wife, and we were married within a year of my discharge. After that, I had several good jobs ultimately wrecked because of my "unorthodox" views, until I came to my current job.

In short, my life has been alot of work and very little play. Moreover, while I have few regrets, I have a very big one: that I never had fun when I could.

You see, when you break the age of about 20, alot of fun ends up going out the window. Issues like fiscal management and responsibility come into play, and concern for your future. You become so wrapped up in these things, you forget what it is like to have fun, and more importantly, to have fun in general. You never get to have those moments of pure estatic fun, charging down a school hallway whooping and hollering because it's the last day of school. You never get to go down to the local ice cream parlor late one night and see that cute girl you had a crush on.

Now that I am older and have missed my chance, I can't do these things. I would like to, but I cannot, due to a social stigma that prevents me from doing so. I cannot do things that a teenager would do and be looked at like "well, he's only trying to have a good time". Instead, I'll be labled as juvenile, or immature. It could hurt my possibility to keep a job, and subsequently get another.

If there is anything that I want you to remember from this post, it's the following:

Remember that you only get one life. You only get one chance at being 17, 18, 19, 20. You only get one chance at living in the year 2007. You only get one chance to live on Monday, March 5th, 2007. Don't waste it like I did, and have fun while you're still able. I would hate to know any of you ended up like me.
Cadet Jesse, Bad Boy

Postby Puff on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Why is everybody posting about their birthdays all of a sudden
XenHu wrote:JESUS CHRIST! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?! :lol:

*ahem*
That is all.
Private 1st Class Puff

Location: Underground. I won't say exactly where but if you want a clue all you must do is look down.

Postby Backglass on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Remember that you only get one life. You only get one chance at being 17, 18, 19, 20. You only get one chance at living in the year 2007. You only get one chance to live on Monday, March 5th, 2007. Don't waste it like I did, and have fun while you're still able.

.....when you've only got 100 years to live.

(OK...that was a cheap shot I admit it. :lol:)

Now that I am older and have missed my chance, I can't do these things. I would like to, but I cannot, due to a social stigma that prevents me from doing so. I cannot do things that a teenager would do and be looked at like "well, he's only trying to have a good time". Instead, I'll be labled as juvenile, or immature. It could hurt my possibility to keep a job, and subsequently get another.

You are never too old to act juvenile. Just do it at home on the weekends. :lol:
Last edited by Backglass on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby Anarkistsdream on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:52 pm

I turn 29 later on this year, myself, and would agree with much of what you wrote here...
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby Puff on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:54 pm

Backglass wrote:.....when you've only got 100 years to live.

:-s

*ahem*
That is all.
Private 1st Class Puff

Location: Underground. I won't say exactly where but if you want a clue all you must do is look down.

Postby Backglass on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Puff wrote:

Song. Five for fighting. Read the lyrics.
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.

Postby Cynthia on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm

:shock: wow...

Happy Birthday! \:D/
Corporal 1st Class Cynthia

Postby Puff on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:57 pm

Backglass wrote:
Puff wrote:

I know its a song but it didn't make sense to what was said

*ahem*
That is all.
Private 1st Class Puff

Postby Puff on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:58 pm

Puff wrote:
Backglass wrote:
Puff wrote:

I know its a song but it didn't make sense to what was said

nvm I didn't see the quote you had :oops:

*ahem*
That is all.
Private 1st Class Puff

Postby diddle on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:01 pm

wow, fascinating stuff, happy birthday, being 14, your advice is extremely useful! :P
Cadet diddle

Postby Backglass on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:11 pm

I have a slightly diffrerent view. 18 is when the normal world opens up to you. High School is NOT the "best years of your life" as people like to tell you...it's the worst in my opinion. A microcosm of all the bad things...the cliques, the feuds, the abuse (for some) and petty crap for everyone.

After you graduate, <POOF> it's all gone and unless you have a masochistic streak and go to reunions, chances are you will never see those people again.

So if you think you have it bad in High School, stick it out...because it's not a dress rehearsal for life, it's basically a torture test.

My advice for the young that I wish I had done? Start an IRA TODAY and put some money into as often as you can. $10 here, $20 there. I know money is tight and retirement seems like a million years away...and it IS! Thats the beauty of it. Start one now at 18 (or even younger) and you will easily retire early as a multi-millionaire.
Last edited by Backglass on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Phobia on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm

22 days till my bday...dont worry, i wont make a topic :P
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby btownmeggy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:43 pm

:lol:
Corporal btownmeggy

Re: It's my birthday.

Postby Warrior987 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:45 pm

Jesse, Bad Boy wrote:
You see, when you break the age of about 20, alot of fun ends up going out the window. Issues like fiscal management and responsibility come into play, and concern for your future. You become so wrapped up in these things, you forget what it is like to have fun, and more importantly, to have fun in general. You never get to have those moments of pure estatic fun, charging down a school hallway whooping and hollering because it's the last day of school. You never get to go down to the local ice cream parlor late one night and see that cute girl you had a crush on.

This is deppreassing! :cry: I'm 16 and its already happening.
An awkward morning beats a boring night

Lord Protector of Spamalot
Cadet Warrior987

Postby Stopper on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:59 pm

Dear Lord! A 29-year-old and a 16-year-old moaning about life's bitter toil!

What's next? Any 2-year-olds want to post about the pressures of getting toilet-trained?
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby Anarkistsdream on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Stopper wrote:Dear Lord! A 29-year-old and a 16-year-old moaning about life's bitter toil!

What's next? Any 2-year-olds want to post about the pressures of getting toilet-trained?

HAHAHAHAHA
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby for dummies on Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:53 pm

Anarkistsdream wrote:
Stopper wrote:Dear Lord! A 29-year-old and a 16-year-old moaning about life's bitter toil!

HAHAHAHAHA

don't laugh...it is very challenging and i am trying my hardest to learn. my parents think that since i can talk and write well at this tender age (not to mention play risk) that i should be able to "go potty". seriously though they took away my diapers to try and force me to communicate when i need to go. This of course gets in the way of my RT games. :cry:
well i don't have numbers to back it up but i usually end up with a pile of shit in the pants but the game in hand. does anyone want to share tips and tricks for getting around this problem?
viperbitex wrote: what the f*ck were the dinosaurs all about?? Did G-Dog wear his silly pants one day 10 million years ago and make them??
Corporal for dummies

Postby Aries on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:08 pm

I didn't read all the stuff you put down there, but Happy Birthday! =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ (I did manage to read that lol)
Lieutenant Aries

Postby mandalorian2298 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:06 pm

Happy Birthday Jesse!
As for the stuff that you wrote, my advice to you is as follows: If you feel that you should do something, do it. If you feel that you must not do it, look into yourself and try to find out why? My eperience thought me that if you face your fears or the things that disgust you, they lose their power over you. Same goes for pain. What ever life throws at you, face it! THEN you can decide what to do about it.

As for the matter of age standing in your way, this might help you. While I was learning aikido (I have ultimatly reached 5 kyu, wich stands for "adult, healthy, has trained basic tehniques and there is nothing more that can be said for him at the moment :D " I had an honor of meeting Sensei 6th dan (at the moment when I met her) Mutsuko Minegishi. She started training late in life, and at the age of 65 she was faster and stronger then anyone I met (now she is probably even stronger and faster), plus she was the only person in the dojo who never breathed heavily no matter how long we worked. One of the things she said to us was: "Of course, when a person becomes older body becomes stiffer. So don't get old!"
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby heavycola on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:34 am

Happy Birthday Jesse, hope you had a blinder

(i'm 30 and life just keeps getting better...)
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,