Conquer Club

What is you 5 top wars that changed the world forever.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What is you 5 top wars that changed the world forever.

Postby hourman on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Im just curious about what you guys think was the most critical wars that changed the world.

Here are mine.

1. WWII

2. WWI

3. Napoleonic wars

4. Revolutionary war.

5. Punic wars.

What do you guys think.
"Lead me, follow me, or get hell out of my way."

-General George S. Patton

War is not for you to die for your country, but for those basterds over there, to die for theirs.

Cook hourman

Postby hecter on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 pm

WWII
WWI
Civil war (I'm not americain, but I do think it changed the world)
Napoleonic Wars
Crusades
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby dcowboys055 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 pm

nobody's americain
Captain dcowboys055

Postby unriggable on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Cold War

WW2

WW1

American Revolution

The Roman Warsa gainst the barbarians in the 5th century.
Cook unriggable

Postby hecter on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:36 pm

Why the cold war?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Incandenza on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:45 pm

1. U2's album 'War'
2. The Fox series 'The War at Home'
3. The Michael Douglas movie 'The War of the Roses'
4. Joe Haldeman's book 'The Forever War'
5. the 'Soccer War', fought between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby hourman on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:45 pm

The Cold War wasn't even a war, it was a "police action".

War is not for you to die for your country, but for those basterds over there, to die for theirs.

Cook hourman

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:48 pm

1. World War II
2. World War I
3. Rome vs Barbarian Hordes
4. Punic Wars (Rome vs Carthage)
5. Byzantine Empire vs Ottoman Empire (fall of Constantinopolis mainly)
6. Napoleonic Wars
7. France vs Prussia (1870)
8. Great Britain vs America and France (American Indipendence)
9. Alexander the Great's campaign to the East
10. Norman conquest of Britain

I am sure I forgot some others which deserve to be on this list...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby unriggable on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:55 pm

hourman wrote:The Cold War wasn't even a war, it was a "police action".

Most technological advances made recently come from the cold war. The whole moon thing? Cold war. Internet? Arguably coming from the cold war.
Cook unriggable

Postby Guiscard on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:58 pm

unriggable wrote:
hourman wrote:The Cold War wasn't even a war, it was a "police action".

Most technological advances made recently come from the cold war. The whole moon thing? Cold war. Internet? Arguably coming from the cold war.

Agreed. After WWII and WWI definitely the most significant. Also basically saw the rise and fall of mass ideology driven politics.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby hourman on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm

I know. But what I'm saying is that it wasnt a war persay. It was a police action witch is the closest thing to a war you can get, I guess.

Cook hourman

Postby millej11 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:06 pm

It wasn't a war so it can't be counted. Next
Private millej11

Postby unriggable on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 pm

millej11 wrote:It wasn't a war so it can't be counted. Next

I'd call it a war, but think whatever it is you want. If the word 'war' is in it then it is a war. Iraq war is a war in the same way. Vietnam? Also a war.
Cook unriggable

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:12 pm

The Cold War was more like psychological warfare actually with each super power constantly trying to edge in front of the other and boasting that it was the best. If the Cold War had been fought the world would have come to an end and we would not be having this conversation. :)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby unriggable on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Forgot that the cold war had an effect on 9-11 and so pretty much all our actions since.
Cook unriggable

Postby foolish_yeti on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Ah, nobody was ever serious about it....both countries used the supposed threat to their own advantage in gaining further control over their populations.
Private 1st Class foolish_yeti

Postby Guiscard on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 pm

The cold war was a war fought by proxy in regions like the middle east. The US and USSR were never actively at war, but they had a hand in nearly all global conflict during that time trying to sway it one way or the other.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby unriggable on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Guiscard wrote:The cold war was a war fought by proxy in regions like the middle east. The US and USSR were never actively at war, but they had a hand in nearly all global conflict during that time trying to sway it one way or the other.

True, a lot of military equipment, specifically tanks, were improved based on the results (history channel for the win!).
Cook unriggable

Postby foolish_yeti on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:52 pm

unriggable wrote:True, a lot of military equipment, specifically tanks, were improved based on the results (history channel for the win!).

As they always have- the high tech industry got rich off that war...
Private 1st Class foolish_yeti

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:56 pm

unriggable wrote:Forgot that the cold war had an effect on 9-11 and so pretty much all our actions since.

What effect did the Cold War have on 9/11? There is no link between them whatsoever as far as I can see...
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby hourman on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:25 pm

Esactly the Cold war was not a War. It was a "POLICE ACTION" meaning no actual fighting took place it was all talk and no walk. and you right each were in about all major conflicts at that time like in the 80's when the USSR invaded Afganistan and Iraq.

Same question how does the Cold War have anything to do with 9-11.

Cook hourman

Postby Guiscard on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:39 pm

I think some of you need to go read up on some international relations theory.

The cold war has everything to do with the state of the world today.

From wikipedia:

Legacy

Despite its rapid and relatively bloodless end, the Cold War was fought at a tremendous cost globally over the course of more than four decades. It cost the U.S. up to $8 trillion in military expenditures, and the lives of nearly 100,000 Americans in Korea and Vietnam. (LaFeber 2002, 1). It cost the Soviets an even higher share of their gross national product. In Southeast Asia, local civil wars were intensified by superpower rivalry, leaving millions dead.

The end of the Cold War gave Russia the chance to cut military spending dramatically, but the adjustment was wrenching. The military-industrial sector employed at least one of every five Soviet adults.[23] Its dismantling left millions throughout the former Soviet Union unemployed. Russian living standards have worsened overall in the post-Cold War years, although the economy has resumed growth in recent years. In the 1990s, Russia suffered an economic downturn more severe than the U.S. or Germany had undergone six decades earlier in the Great Depression after it had embarked on capitalist economic reforms.[24]

The legacy of the Cold War continues to structure world affairs. (Halliday) The Cold War institutionalized the role of the United States in the postwar global economic and political system. By 1989, the U.S. was responsible for military alliances with 50 countries and 1.5 million U.S. troops were posted in 117 countries. (Calhoun) The Cold War also institutionalized the commitment to a huge, permanent wartime military-industrial complex. (Calhoun)

Some of the economic and social tensions that underpinned Cold War competition in parts of the Third World remain acute. The breakdown of state control in a number of areas formerly ruled by Communist governments has produced new civil and ethnic conflicts, particularly in the former Yugoslavia. (Halliday) In some countries, the breakdown of state control was accompanied by state failure, such as in Afghanistan. But in other areas, particularly much of Eastern Europe, the end of the Cold War was accompanied by a large growth in the number of liberal democracies. In areas where the two superpowers had been waging proxy wars, and subsidizing local conflicts, many conflicts ended with the Cold War; and the occurrence of interstate wars, ethnic wars, revolutionary wars, or refugee and displaced persons crises declined sharply.[25]

Was very much a war between too states, just fought by proxy. As for 9/11 the link is a pretty obvious one: The roots of both Bin Laden and al-Qaeda lie in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Bin Laden learned his trade, as it were, in the Afghani insurgency, cementing the cause as a global Islamic issue rather than a local one. al-Qaeda were formed from the mujahideen fighting in Afghanistan.

Slighlty ironic, really, in that the Americans would have liked nothing better than the mujahideen and bin Laden in Afghanistan to beat back the soviet invasion and defeat communism, yet now those same fighters and militant groups are their biggist threat.

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Hm, I'd have to say really the only War that has changed the world...would be Low Rider. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby hourman on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Guiscard wrote:I think some of you need to go read up on some international relations theory.

The cold war has everything to do with the state of the world today.

From wikipedia:

Legacy

Despite its rapid and relatively bloodless end, the Cold War was fought at a tremendous cost globally over the course of more than four decades. It cost the U.S. up to $8 trillion in military expenditures, and the lives of nearly 100,000 Americans in Korea and Vietnam. (LaFeber 2002, 1). It cost the Soviets an even higher share of their gross national product. In Southeast Asia, local civil wars were intensified by superpower rivalry, leaving millions dead.

The end of the Cold War gave Russia the chance to cut military spending dramatically, but the adjustment was wrenching. The military-industrial sector employed at least one of every five Soviet adults.[23] Its dismantling left millions throughout the former Soviet Union unemployed. Russian living standards have worsened overall in the post-Cold War years, although the economy has resumed growth in recent years. In the 1990s, Russia suffered an economic downturn more severe than the U.S. or Germany had undergone six decades earlier in the Great Depression after it had embarked on capitalist economic reforms.[24]

The legacy of the Cold War continues to structure world affairs. (Halliday) The Cold War institutionalized the role of the United States in the postwar global economic and political system. By 1989, the U.S. was responsible for military alliances with 50 countries and 1.5 million U.S. troops were posted in 117 countries. (Calhoun) The Cold War also institutionalized the commitment to a huge, permanent wartime military-industrial complex. (Calhoun)

Some of the economic and social tensions that underpinned Cold War competition in parts of the Third World remain acute. The breakdown of state control in a number of areas formerly ruled by Communist governments has produced new civil and ethnic conflicts, particularly in the former Yugoslavia. (Halliday) In some countries, the breakdown of state control was accompanied by state failure, such as in Afghanistan. But in other areas, particularly much of Eastern Europe, the end of the Cold War was accompanied by a large growth in the number of liberal democracies. In areas where the two superpowers had been waging proxy wars, and subsidizing local conflicts, many conflicts ended with the Cold War; and the occurrence of interstate wars, ethnic wars, revolutionary wars, or refugee and displaced persons crises declined sharply.[25]

Was very much a war between too states, just fought by proxy. As for 9/11 the link is a pretty obvious one: The roots of both Bin Laden and al-Qaeda lie in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Bin Laden learned his trade, as it were, in the Afghani insurgency, cementing the cause as a global Islamic issue rather than a local one. al-Qaeda were formed from the mujahideen fighting in Afghanistan.

Slighlty ironic, really, in that the Americans would have liked nothing better than the mujahideen and bin Laden in Afghanistan to beat back the soviet invasion and defeat communism, yet now those same fighters and militant groups are their biggist threat.

As i think it was not a war and will never be a war. if there was no fighting of anykind that involved blooshed, its not a war. End of story. the cold war was not a war but a police action. nothing more nothing less but a police action. The cuban missile crisis was a police action too.

Cook hourman

Postby Guiscard on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:53 pm

Read the first paragraph of that wikipedia bit again.

No. It was not a declared war between two states, but there were millions of American and Russian lives lost fighting wars of proxy to try and spread their respective regimes and ideologies in the hope of becoming more powerful than the opposing side, not to mention the mass casualties caused by the civil wars, revolutions and inter-state wars.

There are some scholars who suggest it could be considered a third world war (although I don't agree with that 100%).

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,