Doctor Who appreciation thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Doctor Who appreciation thread

Postby clapper011 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 am

I use to watch the older show, but never have watched the new one. doesnt look as good as the original (or should I say weird?) lol
Sergeant clapper011

Medals: 87
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (4) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (7)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (14)

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 am

I started watching the Doctor in the mid/late 70's(I would have watched it earlier, but I wasnt born) and the only time I have not watched it was when Sylvester McCoy was the in the deceptively large blue box.

On a related note, she was my first companion and I was saddened by her passing.

Oh...and 'Blink' is a must watch episode.
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby InkL0sed on Mon May 02, 2011 9:35 am

Blink is good, but really, just watch anything written by Moffat in the Davies era. My favorite episode is probably The Girl in the Fireplace.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby targetman377 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 am

i love doctor who!
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (2)

Postby Symmetry on Mon May 02, 2011 2:08 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Blink is good, but really, just watch anything written by Moffat in the Davies era. My favorite episode is probably The Girl in the Fireplace.

That's another one well worth seeing. Does this link work?
The Girl in the Fireplace part 1
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Ok, I finally got to watch the second episode of this season. This season is just blowing my mind! I loved Tennant's doctor, but Matt Smith is doing a great job with some phenomenal writing. Really looking forward to seeing what comes next. But I'm not looking forward to the long break right in the middle of the season!
Major Doc_Brown

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (2)

Postby Symmetry on Sat May 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Just saw episode 3. I liked it, but not as much as the first two. Anyone see it yet? There's a fair amount that just didn't make sense to me, but I guess they can get away with it by now just on the grounds that it makes a more fun story.

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 08, 2011 11:00 pm

It had good moments, but overall it was pretty poor. I kind of expected that, though.

Also, space pirates.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 09, 2011 12:14 am

Let me just say this: Tom Baker.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 am

Symmetry wrote:Just saw episode 3. I liked it, but not as much as the first two. Anyone see it yet? There's a fair amount that just didn't make sense to me, but I guess they can get away with it by now just on the grounds that it makes a more fun story.

I actually like episode 3. It was a return to the more light-hearted goofiness that makes Doctor Who so endearing. I did like the first two episodes this season a lot, but they left me feeling out of breath and full of questions. This one was just fun. It was kind of like the Christmas episode, particularly in the way it allowed Matt Smith's quirky humorous portrayal of the doctor to shine through. It definitely won't make it on a "best-of list," but it was a decent episode and a nice break from the first two weeks.

I have to say, I'm not looking forward to a 3-month gap between episodes 7 and 8!
Major Doc_Brown

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (2)

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:10 pm

So, was anyone remotely surprised by the recent revelation?

I was disappointed, really. I had hoped it wouldn't be that obvious.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby oVo on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:22 pm

All the new ones have been excellent and I'm eager to see more.

The one with the "Doom" looking demon at the core of the planet,
brain gobbling, body part storage, Dalek invaders, flatulent pig
tailed aliens in people suits and Iron Men too.

jonesthecurl wrote:Well, "the Doctor" could have answered the simple question, "who?"

Don't be silly jonesy, that question has been answered many times.
He is "The Doctor."
Colonel oVo

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:31 pm

InkL0sed wrote:So, was anyone remotely surprised by the recent revelation?

I was disappointed, really. I had hoped it wouldn't be that obvious.

Which revelation? Use spoiler tags- the US is a week behind the UK, so we've just had the mid-season finale. The end of the Flesh double bill was kind of a surprise, but the finale was kind of disappointing in terms of plot. Still- the characters were all awesome.

Rory's Opening

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 pm

A good friend of mine said this about the latest episode:

"Character depth and sense was thrown to the wind for the sake of melodrama, Shit That Sounds Cool, and ZOMG HOW COOL ARE THESE TWISTS. So...really...nothing new."

I think that's too harsh. I thought it was a good episode, as a whole. I am getting a little tired of Moffat's need to make everything epic, but then again, there were some terribly over the top season finales under Davies.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:45 pm

InkL0sed wrote:A good friend of mine said this about the latest episode:

"Character depth and sense was thrown to the wind for the sake of melodrama, Shit That Sounds Cool, and ZOMG HOW COOL ARE THESE TWISTS. So...really...nothing new."

I think that's too harsh. I thought it was a good episode, as a whole. I am getting a little tired of Moffat's need to make everything epic, but then again, there were some terribly over the top season finales under Davies.

Maybe- I loved the Sontaran nurse and the lesbian-samurai-Victorian-Silurian (I was going to add cannibal, but I suppose that doesn't count for alien races who eat humans) though, and Rory got a decent a episode too for once. The doctor looked nicely pissed off. I liked the individual character bits, but the twists were a bit disappointing and the melodrama didn't really pay off for me.

I loved this guy though- Apologies for poor quality
This scene is better

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?