UNRACIST RON PAUL

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: UNRACIST RON PAUL

Postby Baron Von PWN on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:49 pm

rockfist wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
rockfist wrote:The Republicans would have to nominate the biggest reactionary fiscal and social conservative to be as far right as Obama is left.

Why do you even say nonsensical things like this? Obama has some "left" positions, absolutely. FAR left? Not particularly. And if you believe that at least half of the serious Republican candidates this coming election AREN'T at least as far right as Obama is to the left, then I don't believe you're looking at the situation very objectively.

Ok he may not have been the most liberal, but he was hardly middle of the road with his voting record meaning the Republicans would have to nominate someone quite conservative to be as far right as he is left:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/

How common is it for members of congress to have such a high vote part line percentage?
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby rockfist on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Its pretty common to be between 85-95%. He is on the high side, but not ridiculous. Just looking at the numbers it appears more common for Democrats to be higher, but some of the lower Republican numbers such as Rand Paul or Jim Demint could be misleading.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/112/senate/members/

Just to be clear he voted with his party his last year in the Senate as much as any Democrat (it could be more difficult for a President to oppose his party)

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/109/senate/members/
Colonel rockfist

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11)

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:44 pm

rockfist wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
rockfist wrote:The Republicans would have to nominate the biggest reactionary fiscal and social conservative to be as far right as Obama is left.

Why do you even say nonsensical things like this? Obama has some "left" positions, absolutely. FAR left? Not particularly. And if you believe that at least half of the serious Republican candidates this coming election AREN'T at least as far right as Obama is to the left, then I don't believe you're looking at the situation very objectively.

Ok he may not have been the most liberal, but he was hardly middle of the road with his voting record meaning the Republicans would have to nominate someone quite conservative to be as far right as he is left:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/

Woodruff is correct Rock, Obama advocating that "spreading the wealth around is a good thing" is not a leftist idea...not even far left. It's actually right to far right ideology. Also, intentionally skipping over the part in our constitution..."endowed by our creator..." 7 or 8 times in the last few years as far right wing too, just like Jared Loughner... :twisted:

Now, if we used the word "progressive" to describe Obama, we wouldn't even have to get into left or right.
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Postby rockfist on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Could you please explain how spreading the wealth through government redistribution is right wing?
Colonel rockfist

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11)

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:18 pm

rockfist wrote:Could you please explain how spreading the wealth through government redistribution is right wing?

lol Rock. I try to add this :twisted: to let peeps know when I'm being sarcastic
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Postby Iliad on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm loving the sudden awkward silence about Ron Paul's newsletters.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby john9blue on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Iliad wrote:I'm loving the sudden awkward silence about Ron Paul's newsletters.

haven't they already been discussed to death?

but keep thinking you're right and ignoring all evidence to the contrary. next time we decide to ignore you, you can pretend once more that you have the REAL truth if it makes you happy.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby rockfist on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
rockfist wrote:Could you please explain how spreading the wealth through government redistribution is right wing?

lol Rock. I try to add this :twisted: to let peeps know when I'm being sarcastic

I had surgery this week so I am not 100%...but even baring that I can sometimes miss it.
Colonel rockfist

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:35 pm

yeah this thread is 100% in response to the newsletters. You would know that if you took 3 minutes to watch the video in the first post of the thread. Awkward silence...? :lol:

Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Iliad on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:37 pm

john9blue wrote:

but keep thinking you're right and ignoring all evidence to the contrary. next time we decide to ignore you, you can pretend once more that you have the REAL truth if it makes you happy.

Thanks for being objective once again, Johnblue! Next time you pretend to be a neutral observer we might go along with as well.

I'm really confused at how you managed to spin, me putting forward a criticism of Ron Paul, backing it up with sources, and then not have enough anyone even attempting to refute it, as somehow me ignoring reality.

I love you john, I honestly do. You wander in arguments, adopt a condescending tone with such ease as though you were born with it, complain how everyone( read; everyone who is left wing or atheist) is being illogical and leave before god fucking forbid you should prove what you're saying. Please tell me, john, how am I ignoring reality? The facts about Ron Paul's newsletters are easily searchable and it seems someone else, let's call him thinirishy, decided to ignore those facts. But then again facts do have a liberal bias.

(Now I've quoted Colbert, now johnny is going to be maaad)
Private 1st Class Iliad

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby john9blue on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Iliad wrote:
john9blue wrote:

Thanks for being objective once again, Johnblue! Next time you pretend to be a neutral observer we might go along with as well.

I'm really confused at how you managed to spin, me putting forward a criticism of Ron Paul, backing it up with sources, and then not have enough anyone even attempting to refute it, as somehow me ignoring reality.

I love you john, I honestly do. You wander in arguments, adopt a condescending tone with such ease as though you were born with it, complain how everyone( read; everyone who is left wing or atheist) is being illogical and leave before god fucking forbid you should prove what you're saying. Please tell me, john, how am I ignoring reality? The facts about Ron Paul's newsletters are easily searchable and it seems someone else, let's call him thinirishy, decided to ignore those facts. But then again facts do have a liberal bias.

objective? i'm a ron paul fan, no denying it.

my problem is that you took our refusal to debate with you about the newsletters as evidence that we had nothing to say and no way to defend paul. the truth is that the newsletters are well known by almost everyone here, and we have discussed them before (maybe you missed it).

HOWEVER, because you seem to be especially upset to the point of dissing me for no reason, i will explain very clearly why the ron paul newsletters will not change my vote. for the newsletter to affect my vote, i would have to believe the following statements:

- the racist statements represented ron paul's actual views: extremely debatable, seeing as he didn't even write them, and even if he knew about them he may have simply allowed it in order to gain more supporters. but even assuming that this IS true...

- ron paul's views on race today are the same as they were back then: racism was very common 50 years ago. today, almost everyone agrees that racism is bad. clearly people's views can change over time based on what is seen as acceptable. it is not at all out of the question that, since publication, ron paul has changed his mind and now believes that racism is bad.

- ron paul's racism would affect his actions as president: doubtful. a good example of this is abortion- paul personally hates abortion, yet he would allow states to make their own abortion laws, even if they decide to keep it legal. his libertarian principles are so firm that he would not single out a single group to discriminate against. it would be contrary to the very meaning of libertarianism.

- ron paul's racist actions as president would be bad for our country: although this seems obviously true, in the long run it's very difficult to say whether racist actions against minorities (whom are steadily increasing in number) would necessarily be bad for the long-term prosperity of our country.

so in order for one to accept that the newsletters are a reason to not vote for paul, one has to accept all 4 of these statements, and all 4 of them are likely false.

calm the f*ck down.
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby CreepersWiener on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YtrD__8 ... AAAAAAAFAA

If Ron Paul isn't a racist, why did he use the phrase: "Because of people like you."

Ron Paul lost the argument because he ran away like a mamby-pamby and cut the interview short.
Army of GOD wrote:I joined this game because it's so similar to Call of Duty.
Sergeant CreepersWiener

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Iliad on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:35 am

john9blue wrote:
Iliad wrote:
john9blue wrote:

objective? i'm a ron paul fan, no denying it.

my problem is that you took our refusal to debate with you about the newsletters as evidence that we had nothing to say and no way to defend paul. the truth is that the newsletters are well known by almost everyone here, and we have discussed them before (maybe you missed it).
No, I took evidence as the sudden shifting of the topic of debate from Ron Paul's profits as evidence. I have seen it often enough wwhen debating religion, when arguments would be silently ignored or abandoned.
john9blue wrote:HOWEVER, because you seem to be especially upset to the point of dissing me for no reason, i will explain very clearly why the ron paul newsletters will not change my vote. for the newsletter to affect my vote, i would have to believe the following statements:
Not particularly angry, just pointing your shtick which apparently is dissing you now.
john9blue wrote:- the racist statements represented ron paul's actual views: extremely debatable, seeing as he didn't even write them, and even if he knew about them he may have simply allowed it in order to gain more supporters. but even assuming that this IS true...

And you're okay with that? It's all quite simple, the Ron Paul newsletters were endorsed by him and some of his closest advisors worked on it. Either Ron Paul is a racist, or he is incompetent to the point he couldn't run a newsletter and there was a conspiracy against him by his closest staff, or as you said he allowed the newsletter to run for profit, or to attract supporters.

That may have been a prudent political move back in the 80's, 90's, he would've attracted the the fringe political supporters he needed to support his rather fringe ideas. Don't act too surprised that he isn't going to go mainstream now though, because as it turns out using racism as a political platform isn't great long term.

In any case, Ron Paul is either a racist, incompetent or a political whore. Ron Paulites pride that their cult leader stands for his virtues, but the fact is Ron Paul, under your assertion he sold out to the crazies where others would've sold out to the companies.

john9blue wrote:- ron paul's views on race today are the same as they were back then: racism was very common 50 years ago. today, almost everyone agrees that racism is bad. clearly people's views can change over time based on what is seen as acceptable. it is not at all out of the question that, since publication, ron paul has changed his mind and now believes that racism is bad.

Hahahaha. Oh wow, the mental acrobatics you are willing to make.
Firstly it was not written in the 50's, 60's, it was written in the ancient history of 80's or 90's. A time where writing that approximately 90-95% of black people in DC were criminal was not really a defensible or societally acceptable.
Secondly, I'm loving it that it's not out of the question that a presidential candidate has come to the opinion that racism is bad.
Thirdly, Ron Paul held (supported, sponsored, exploited whatever verb floats your boat) a racist opinion. While you are right, that the public would not have batted an eye 60 years or so, it does make him unelectable today. It's a toxic view point and Ron Paul can't just cry that he's all probably not a racist anymore.

john9blue wrote:- ron paul's racism would affect his actions as president: doubtful. a good example of this is abortion- paul personally hates abortion, yet he would allow states to make their own abortion laws, even if they decide to keep it legal. his libertarian principles are so firm that he would not single out a single group to discriminate against. it would be contrary to the very meaning of libertarianism.

- ron paul's racist actions as president would be bad for our country: although this seems obviously true, in the long run it's very difficult to say whether racist actions against minorities (whom are steadily increasing in number) would necessarily be bad for the long-term prosperity of our country.

Spoken like a clueless white, heterosexual, straight, man. Oh I'm sorry i was aware you prefer to call yourselves Libertarians. Thanks for showing your colours and your lack of compassion for anything other than yourself. The president could be a racist, but that means those minorities should just pull themselves by the bootstraps, right johhny? But then again the libertarian approach to social problems is about the same as of the bussinessman walking past the homeless man on his way to work. The mere existence of them makes him vaguely uncomfortable but at no point does he actually care.

john9blue wrote:so in order for one to accept that the newsletters are a reason to not vote for paul, one has to accept all 4 of these statements, and all 4 of them are likely false.

calm the f*ck down.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm not accepting those bullshit goalposts that you happened to set. Ron Paul could be a racist, which would be a bad thing even if you don't particularly care about the minorities, and trust me the Ron Paul newsletters don't focus on only one, and I'm really struggling to comprehend that I'm even have to argue about this point. The fact is that Ron Paul is incompetent of running a newsletter, either unable to check on its progress or have his closest staff work with his views in mind. Also not a great sign. Or the Ron Paul knowingly profited from a racist newspaper and that's going to hurt him fairly hard, everywhere but the fairly deep south. Those are the statements one has to consider, and while you may be able to perform very impressive acts of cognitive dissonance I quite doubt the non Paul fanatics would be quite as willing.

Ron Paul's going to get fucked, but I have no delusions about the delusions of Ron Paulites.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby john9blue on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:06 am

Iliad wrote:Yeah, I'm not accepting those bullshit goalposts that you happened to set. Ron Paul could be a racist, which would be a bad thing even if you don't particularly care about the minorities, and trust me the Ron Paul newsletters don't focus on only one, and I'm really struggling to comprehend that I'm even have to argue about this point. The fact is that Ron Paul is incompetent of running a newsletter, either unable to check on its progress or have his closest staff work with his views in mind. Also not a great sign. Or the Ron Paul knowingly profited from a racist newspaper and that's going to hurt him fairly hard, everywhere but the fairly deep south. Those are the statements one has to consider, and while you may be able to perform very impressive acts of cognitive dissonance I quite doubt the non Paul fanatics would be quite as willing.

Ron Paul's going to get fucked, but I have no delusions about the delusions of Ron Paulites.

do you notice how you argue? you didn't disprove anything i said.

the first one you accepted could be false and merely due to paul's failures in managing his newsletter (which hardly make him unelectable)

the second one you avoided by claiming that it was somehow impossible and that he's still unelectable because you said so.

the third and fourth ones you responded to in the exact manner i expected you to: the race card. i wasn't aware that one had to be white to believe that one's racism wouldn't interfere with their political principles? and you went even further: where did heterosexual come in? who even said anything about that?

it's really a shame that my physical characteristics fit in this little category you seem to have for libertarians. maybe if i was black, or female, or gay, then you'd show a little more compassion, because from your post i can determine that you are a racist and sexist who apparently is biased against straight people as well.

the real gem of your post, though, was when you refused to accept my "goalposts" (i.e. logical criteria for your beliefs) and struggled to comprehend why you had to "argue this point" (i.e. defend your baseless beliefs) and cried about my "cognitive dissonance" (i.e. drawing reasonable conclusions from the evidence provided).

there is so much bias and worthless baggage in your post that i considered not even responding. did you even watch creepers' video? i bet you didn't, because you're a [insert your sexual preference] [insert your race] [insert your gender] and that's obviously why you believe what you believe!

f you want me to respond to your next post, then i suggest you at least make an attempt to raise your intellectual and conversational levels to the point where i don't feel like i'm wasting my time.
Captain john9blue

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:10 am

Iliad wrote:I love you john, I honestly do. You wander in arguments, adopt a condescending tone with such ease as though you were born with it, complain how everyone( read; everyone who is left wing or atheist) is being illogical and leave before god fucking forbid you should prove what you're saying.

QFT. He does that all the time! :lol:

john9blue wrote:in the long run it's very difficult to say whether racist actions against minorities (whom are steadily increasing in number) would necessarily be bad for the long-term prosperity of our country.

:lol:
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?