Conquer Club

Dreams

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Dreams

Postby nietzsche on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:04 am

I have had premonitions in my dreams. I'm not crazy.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 am

nietzsche wrote:I have had coincidences in my dreams.

fixed
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:22 am

I had self-fulfilled prophecies in my dreams!

IS that cheating?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby strike wolf on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:52 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:The green aliens were mods. You fear that your perceived CC responsibility may lead you toward a mass extermination crusade against any CC member which you disagree with. Seek professional help immediately, sir. This is serious. In fact, I'm filing a C&A report. Expect to hear from my CC attorney, thegreekdog. If you won't answer the summons, then one night, while you pleasantly dream of dominating CC, I'll have saxitoxin tickle you to death. TO DEATH.

Everybody go home. We got him, CC. Sweet dreams.

BBS has been banned for offering an interpretation of my dream that was different than my own.

I don't think my dreams have much of a theme except they (at least from what I remember) go through ordinary day routines with odd things that stand out.

Like one dream I had back in 8th grade where I was in Physical Science and I was called to the front desk because my parents were there to pick me up for a Dentist appointment but when I opened teh door the T-Rex eye from Jurassic Park was there so I went back to class.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am

"when I opened teh door the T-Rex eye from Jurassic Park was there so I went back to class"

A wise decision.

Speaking of decision-making, how many people in here can (somewhat) consciously make decisions during their dreams?

For example, can you alter the flow of your dream? Can you get out of your director's chair and say, "All right, all right! Enough of this silliness! Let's move on."
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:"when I opened teh door the T-Rex eye from Jurassic Park was there so I went back to class"

A wise decision.

Speaking of decision-making, how many people in here can (somewhat) consciously make decisions during their dreams?

For example, can you alter the flow of your dream? Can you get out of your director's chair and say, "All right, all right! Enough of this silliness! Let's move on."

I've had the illusion of making decisions in my dreams, but I don't know they are real ones. I'm skeptical of other people who say they can do that.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Aradhus on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Nobody speaks in my dreams.

Sometimes I have what I call videogame dreams, where the same scenario is repeated over and over again. Where it feels like I'm trying to accomplish a specific task and get a different result than what happens.

[Thousand-yard stare] Somtimes I have.. violent dreams.. usually involving me hacking up people with knives.. Sometimes intercourse occurs before I hack them to death.. *stubs out cigarette* sometimes after.. [/Thousand-yard stare]
Major Aradhus

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:54 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:"when I opened teh door the T-Rex eye from Jurassic Park was there so I went back to class"

A wise decision.

I've had the illusion of making decisions in my dreams, but I don't know they are real ones. I'm skeptical of other people who say they can do that.

While dreaming, are you of the position that the dreamer exerts no control over the dream and/or over his/her role in the dream?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:26 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:

A wise decision.

While dreaming, are you of the position that the dreamer exerts no control over the dream and/or over his/her role in the dream?

I don't know enough to have a position. It might be possible, but I'm still skeptical of people who say they have consciously controlled their dream.

I can remember one dream in which I was aware that I was dreaming. I thought it was lucid (ie, that I had control), but when I woke up, I realized that what I had control over was utter nonsense. All I remember about it is that I had control over the number of syllables (and yes, that's supposed to be vague). I think it was a verbal dream ā€“ there were no visuals. I was immersed in another language at the time, and I was having quite a few purely verbal dreams.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby notyou2 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 pm

A wise decision.

I have consciously changed my dream on at least 2 occasions, but the weird one was a deja-vu that I broke by not doing the next thing. I lived through it.

I think.
Captain notyou2

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 pm

I've had lucid dreams on occasion. The key is realizing that you're dreaming, after which you can pretty much control every aspect of your dream, like an interactive virtual reality where you also have magic powers.

I've always meant to start practicing lucid dreaming more... but then it's kind of a hassle and my dreams are already pretty interesting as they are...

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 pm

The first time I remember experiencing lucid dreaming was when I was a small kid. I suddenly realized I was dreaming, I can't remember how, but somehow I also figured out that this meant I could do anything, so I figured I wanted to ride a motorcycle. I remember imagining myself riding a motorcycle, I just sort of assumed the position of riding a motorcycle and then the motorcycle appeared under me and I was riding it. It was fun.

Unfortunately I always wake up soon after I know I'm dreaming.

Postby nietzsche on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Lucid dreaming gets boring with time. After some time you realize you rather rest. For instance, I cannot have sex in lucid dreams, no matter how much I try it I wake up. The best I get is kissing, touching boobs.

There's a trick to stay asleep while you are about to wake up, but once you use it 3-4 times in the same dream it stops working for that dream.

Also, most lucid dreams are after you slept like 8 hours, (most not all of them) so if you are a busy person it gets difficult.

It's fun to experience, not that fun to keep doing it. Best lucid dream: I realized I was dreaming, then decided to take a walk on the beach, it was at night, and there were 2 moons, both huge, on closer than the other, and the colors were so vivid I woke up with an incredible happiness sensation that lasted me like 4 days.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:30 am

For me, there isn't this stark moment where I go "Oh, I'm dreaming, so I can do anything."

Conscious control over the dream or only my "self" within the dream sort of penetrates and "controls" like a drizzle or a rainfall. It's never been a strong, clear connection, and it's hard to draw consciousness into the dream. It comes in tid bits, and it's not like "I'm a magician, so I have 100% control." (At least for me, it's never been. I doubt that level of control can actually occur within a dream. I'm thinking some people mistaken "using their imagination" as "dreaming," but I could definitely be wrong).

In certain moments while dreaming, I have a sudden sense of clarity--of rational thought, of conscious decision-making. "I" intervene, and change it--sort of like switching records on a turntable. But it's weird because if I wait to long to "change" it, I begin to wake up...

Or, my consciousness intervenes only at the individual level, where I consciously think, or ponder about what to do... that kind of intervention disturbs the dream; it feels too foreign, and out of place. There's two levels of "thinking." There's that foreign, conscious kind, and there's the "thinking" within the dream. It's one of those "you know it when you 'see' it" ordeals...

That's pretty much where I'm at with my dreams. I want to share because I want learn something from you guys.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:It comes in tid bits, and it's not like "I'm a magician, so I have 100% control." (At least for me, it's never been. I doubt that level of control can actually occur within a dream. I'm thinking some people mistaken "using their imagination" as "dreaming," but I could definitely be wrong).

You're wrong. At least according to my experience.

Postby barackattack on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:50 am

I've had a lucid dream. It ran out after a while (I stopped being aware I was dreaming) but it was awesome while it lasted. Controlled everything.
justin bieber charlie sheen rebecca black nude naked paris hilton slut xxx dirty free teen school abuse torture iraq soldier gingrich paul tea party 9/11 conspiracy bush oil ryan dunn video dead steve jobs apple sucks
Private 1st Class barackattack

Postby notyou2 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:42 am

The dream walkers in The Wheel of Time book series is a pretty cool concept.
Captain notyou2

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Pretty great one last night-

So I went to a concert or performance that was held in this giant garage. I don't really know what I was watching, I was just there among the crowd. I started smoking a cigarette with a couple of other guys (I don't smoke in the waking world outside of the occasional cigar) and the management starts freaking out because an alarm goes off. Whatever, no big deal. I'm on my way home and the cops come and arrest me. The whole thing- hands behind my back, cuffed, put in the police vehicle. There were three or four cops together to make the arrest. At this point, all but one leave, and the one who's left is this hard-ass officer who was the stereotypical cop: fat, obnoxious, and had the cop 'stache. He keeps yelling at me and saying that I've got to pay restitution for the damage. I denied that me smoking did any lasting damage in a building that had all the giant garage doors open and all that.

Here the dream takes a violent turn; the cop decides to take me somewhere. His vehicle turned out to be a rocket or some other spacecraft, and pretty soon he's dropping me off on the Moon, trying to leave me with this researcher who was living there studying the native lunar fauna. Now I'm fearing that he's leaving me on the Moon to die, so some words are exchanged, tempers flared. The cop attacks me, but I somehow manage to wrest his gun away from him and I end up killing him.

At this point the dream changes from first person to third person, and the character changes to a slim, brunette female. The researcher is freaking out because the cop is dead, and tells her that he's calling the cops. She tries to convince him not to, but to no avail. She ends up running away, trying to find a way back to earth. Here the dream becomes more of the frenetic pursuit kind, but the scenery changes to something like a Tim Burton film or a Tool video. The most prevalent of the native lunar fauna are these cow-like creatures that just sit around with vacant stares, but there are some snakes as well. The animals are what appear to her to be disfigured and clay-like. Somehow a fire gets started, and again this is very clay-animation like, slowly consuming the cow creatures and buildings. Then the alpha snake, who used to live on Earth but couldn't hack it and came to the Moon, tries helping her and talks to her.

Now at this point, I'm unsure if the dream changed, or if I/she somehow got back to Earth, but I feel like it's a continuation of the same dream. There was still the feeling that I had been hunted. But anyway, the character had changed back to me, and I was living in the house I grew up in, but I had Colin Mochrie and Wayne Brady as house mates. Wayne Brady had dreads, though, and was living in what used to be my sister's room, which was still pink and girly, although he did have a bunch of firearms mounted on the wall. There was this bum who kept rifling through our garbage each night, so Colin Mochrie goes out to chase him off. I hear a gunshot, and I look out and see Colin Mochrie is dead, killed by the vagrant who's peering around the corner at us, very creepily.

Wayne and I are shocked and outraged. I grab a pump-action shotgun and Wayne Brady gets what looks like a .45 handgun. We chase after the bum, but he eludes us initially. We're hunting him down, and we find him down by these train tracks with a baby stroller, his face covered in blood. I think the implication was that he had eaten a baby. And then the dream ends before any resolution.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:17 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Now at this point, I'm unsure if the dream changed, or if I/she somehow got back to Earth, but I feel like it's a continuation of the same dream.

I know what you're talking about and I have a hypothesis about this... I think, what you're describing are the "seams" between different dreams, where your brain just stiches the boundaries of two different dreams together in order to create a continuous narrative.

You know that thing that happens when you black out for some reason, and then your brain just basically makes up stuff to create a continuous narrative from point A to point B? You know, the phenomenon that partially explains the out-of-body-experiences and how you can "remember" stuff even when there's no brain activity? It could be a similar mechanism at work here. It'd make sense, anyway.

Postby pmchugh on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Lucid dreaming is awesome. It started with realising I was dreaming and then staying awake for progressively longer and once you are awake you can easily make decisions on what you want to try and do. I remember one where I decided I wanted to get in a fight so I started walking towards this guy I knew but with every step I took forward he took one back! So even though I was concious it didn't help much!

Best lucid dreams I have had are when I started to control other people and things, once managed to levitate someone else with just hand actions and another time I grew myself to be like a 100 ft tall and I stomped on a house.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:02 pm

I've never had lucid dreams per se, but I have had dreams where I kenw I was dreaming.

They all ended up being nightmares and since i knew I was dreaming, I would just kill myself to wake up.

Also, that feel when you're having an awesome dream and then some douche wakes you up, then you instantly try to go back asleep and get to your old dream.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 pm

BOOM! INCEPTION!

Major Phatscotty

Postby Maugena on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 am

CreepersWiener wrote:I had a dream about pipes once...

I don't think anyone caught the reference besides me.
Fun game, though.

Apparently it was known as Pipe Mania originally? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Mania
Hmmmm. Interesting.
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby 2dimes on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:05 am

This is the sort of dream I usually have.
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Pretty great one last night-

So I went to a concert or performance that was held in this giant garage. I don't really know what I was watching, I was just there among the crowd. I started smoking a cigarette with a couple of other guys (I don't smoke in the waking world outside of the occasional cigar) and the management starts freaking out because an alarm goes off. Whatever, no big deal. I'm on my way home and the cops come and arrest me. The whole thing- hands behind my back, cuffed, put in the police vehicle. There were three or four cops together to make the arrest. At this point, all but one leave, and the one who's left is this hard-ass officer who was the stereotypical cop: fat, obnoxious, and had the cop 'stache. He keeps yelling at me and saying that I've got to pay restitution for the damage. I denied that me smoking did any lasting damage in a building that had all the giant garage doors open and all that.

Here the dream takes a violent turn; the cop decides to take me somewhere. His vehicle turned out to be a rocket or some other spacecraft, and pretty soon he's dropping me off on the Moon, trying to leave me with this researcher who was living there studying the native lunar fauna. Now I'm fearing that he's leaving me on the Moon to die, so some words are exchanged, tempers flared. The cop attacks me, but I somehow manage to wrest his gun away from him and I end up killing him.

At this point the dream changes from first person to third person, and the character changes to a slim, brunette female. The researcher is freaking out because the cop is dead, and tells her that he's calling the cops. She tries to convince him not to, but to no avail. She ends up running away, trying to find a way back to earth. Here the dream becomes more of the frenetic pursuit kind, but the scenery changes to something like a Tim Burton film or a Tool video. The most prevalent of the native lunar fauna are these cow-like creatures that just sit around with vacant stares, but there are some snakes as well. The animals are what appear to her to be disfigured and clay-like. Somehow a fire gets started, and again this is very clay-animation like, slowly consuming the cow creatures and buildings. Then the alpha snake, who used to live on Earth but couldn't hack it and came to the Moon, tries helping her and talks to her.

Now at this point, I'm unsure if the dream changed, or if I/she somehow got back to Earth, but I feel like it's a continuation of the same dream. There was still the feeling that I had been hunted. But anyway, the character had changed back to me, and I was living in the house I grew up in, but I had Colin Mochrie and Wayne Brady as house mates. Wayne Brady had dreads, though, and was living in what used to be my sister's room, which was still pink and girly, although he did have a bunch of firearms mounted on the wall. There was this bum who kept rifling through our garbage each night, so Colin Mochrie goes out to chase him off. I hear a gunshot, and I look out and see Colin Mochrie is dead, killed by the vagrant who's peering around the corner at us, very creepily.

Wayne and I are shocked and outraged. I grab a pump-action shotgun and Wayne Brady gets what looks like a .45 handgun. We chase after the bum, but he eludes us initially. We're hunting him down, and we find him down by these train tracks with a baby stroller, his face covered in blood. I think the implication was that he had eaten a baby. And then the dream ends before any resolution.

-TG

A lot of detail, famous people, odd characters, changing locations.

I'll often be in my house or one that is supposed to be mine. I will go to a different room or outside and I end up somewhere completely different.

I havebeenwhat having pretty good luck controlling things sometimes.

This morning I went back to sleep and was making changes but not quite what I wanted. It also was one of those dream where I was trying to figure out if I was still dreaming or had woke up several times.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Lately my dreams have been creepily realistic.

I've usually always had dreams that have had this kind of surreal quality, where things just are sort of off but you don't realize it at the time, when you're having the dream it all just seems business as usual... but then when you wake up you realize it doesn't make any sense after all.

But recently, my dreams have been like I'm living pieces of some kind of second life, or maybe someone else's life in some alternate reality. Everything is just so... normal. There's nothing odd, no "dream logic", things are just mundane and ordinary, it's just some random person's life - the only thing is that it's not my life and the situations I'm in and the people I meet are unknown to me. Like this one night I was at this party and there were lots of friends, and I had this feeling each person there was someone I had known for a long time, they all had histories and backstories about how they related to "me". And things just happened, like ordinary, regular things.

Really creepy when you think about it. But I guess our brains can really play some damn twisted tricks on us at times.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,