Neil Young.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Neil Young.

Postby Crazyirishman on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Heart of Gold and Old Man have always been two of my favorites, though needle and the damage done and after the gold rush have grown on me.
Captain Crazyirishman

Location: Maine, North Carolina, Colorado or somewhere in between.
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Crazyirishman wrote:Heart of Gold and Old Man have always been two of my favorites, though needle and the damage done and after the gold rush have grown on me.

Interesting, I was kind of the other way round. Needle and the Damage done was the first song of his I heard. Loved it, but now it seems, well certainly not a bad song, not by a long shot, but kind of one of his simpler songs. It got me in to Neil Young, and I still like it a lot anyway. It's kind of like Knockin' on Heavens Door for Dylan with me.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby KoolBak on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:56 pm

My FAVE-O-RITE artist, period. I have every album he's done and have seen him in concert 11 times. Absolutely phenomenal artist.....very interesting guy too (although I hate his political views....lol). Have several dvd's on him re: real life and this is one serious dude - my buddy got to shake his hand at a pop machine one time....surprised the hell out of him....lol

One of my very favorite tunes is off Trans, his venture into the cumputer age back in the 80's....awesome tune

Best concert I ever saw was the Weld tour.....freaking rocked......if this doesn't make you bang your head, you're freaking dead......lol

Thanks for the thread :D

ps - Neil and Dylan have nothing in common....come on :lol: Dylan's counterpart is Arlo Guthrie (who I am going to see again on Wednesday)....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby daddy1gringo on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 am

Symmetry wrote:
Crazyirishman wrote:Heart of Gold and Old Man have always been two of my favorites, though needle and the damage done and after the gold rush have grown on me.

Interesting, I was kind of the other way round. Needle and the Damage done was the first song of his I heard. Loved it, but now it seems, well certainly not a bad song, not by a long shot, but kind of one of his simpler songs. It got me in to Neil Young, and I still like it a lot anyway. It's kind of like Knockin' on Heavens Door for Dylan with me.

Quoted from that in the "RIP Whitney" thread. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=164507&start=15
The right answer to the wrong question is still the wrong answer to the real question.
Lieutenant daddy1gringo

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Postby oVo on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 pm

KoolBak wrote:ps - Neil and Dylan have nothing in common....come on :lol: Dylan's counterpart is Arlo Guthrie (who I am going to see again on Wednesday)....

Love Arlo... got to see him in a perfect setting about 10 years ago. All his music and storytelling was nothing short of fabulous. He's not Dylan's counterpart, but his dad was certainly an inspiration. I've only managed to catch Neil Young once and that was with Crosby, Stills & Nash and I drove a long ways to be there.

Neil and Bob share a creative energy that has always driven them forward.
Major oVo

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby KoolBak on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Ahhh....energy......well Neil has that in spades....can't stand Dylan so I don't know :lol: I was simply saying Dylan / Arlo = Folk genre and Arlo indeed has it in his blood ;o) This will be my 10th Arlo concert!

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Not wanting to go too off-topic, but if you like Young and Dylan you might like Nick Drake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ShXHW_FrlM&feature=related

Postby oVo on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 am

Pink Moon is a fav Nick Drake LP and it freaked me out a bit when ATT used one of his songs in their ads a year or so ago.

KoolBak, pigeon holing Bob Dylan as folk genre just means you don't know his music.
Major oVo

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby KoolBak on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:13 am

You got me there dude...I do not know him; I apologize if i blew that......I would be offended if someone did the same to Neil :D Thanks; I shall not do so again.....

edit: after a little research, i see how far off i was.....not the first time :lol:

Postby pearljamrox2 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Those are some of the hits. They are great, but I really like Alabama. And Words(between the lines of age), I can listen to that over and over. I love the way he makes the guitar sing during the jams.
Colonel pearljamrox2

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (9)

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Look out man, your whole world will change soon... Neil leads to others you have no idea about yet.

I discovered him at 25 years old, probably roughly your age atm-- from there I found a lot of others..
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Neil Young is definitely one of my favorite artists. At least a few good things can come from the internet.

But.. hey, have any reccommendations from your own country of things we might not know???
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:15 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Neil Young is definitely one of my favorite artists. At least a few good things can come from the internet.

But.. hey, have any reccommendations from your own country of things we might not know???

Isn't Neil Young Canadian? Definitely give Nick Drake a try, from the UK side, if you've not come across him yet.

Postby notyou2 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Yes, Neil is Canadian.
Captain notyou2

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 pm

notyou2 wrote:Yes, Neil is Canadian.

At least he inspired Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Postby notyou2 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 pm

They were mad at him for what he wrote about the south. See the lyrics of Neil's song Southern Man.
Captain notyou2

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)

Postby maxfaraday on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Talking about songwriters, I'm surprised no-one has mentionned Leonard Cohen.
His lyrics are just so...
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 pm

maxfaraday wrote:Talking about songwriters, I'm surprised no-one has mentionned Leonard Cohen.
His lyrics are just so...

Good call. Nick Cave is also good, and Tom Waits.

Postby oVo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 am

notyou2 wrote:They were mad at him for what he wrote about the south.

Some people should be embarrassed by the lyrics of Southern man
and equally Ohio if they feel singled out by those songs. Ohio, live in 2000

This One is good too.
Major oVo

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Symmetry wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Neil Young is definitely one of my favorite artists. At least a few good things can come from the internet.

Isn't Neil Young Canadian? Definitely give Nick Drake a try, from the UK side, if you've not come across him yet.

The OP mentioned being from a non-English speaking area. Nothing in my post infers I thought Neil Young was born in the US. We here do tend to hear a good deal from the UK, Canada, etc. .. but not other countries.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby maxfaraday on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:We here do tend to hear a good deal from the UK, Canada, etc. .. but not other countries.

If you want to hear about songs originally written in French, you might want to listen to Bowie's covers of Jaques Brel's "Ma Mort" (My Death) and "Amsterdam".

To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Iron Butterfly on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:33 am

I listened to Neil Young in Highschool. He was my morning coffee and a cig music before heading out.

The thing that makes neil so great is that he never bowed to the system, be it corporate or government.

His music is always evolving. He is an artist not afraid to take risk. You wont find that in music these days.
Major Iron Butterfly

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Technically he's Canadian. But he's lived in the U.S. since 1966, some three-quarters of his life, does 90% of his recording in the U.S., owns land in California and somewhere in the Midwest as well, so at this point keeping his Canadian passport is just a conversation piece.
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 136
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

Technically he's Canadian. But he's lived in the U.S. since 1966, some three-quarters of his life, does 90% of his recording in the U.S., owns land in California and somewhere in the Midwest as well, so at this point keeping his Canadian passport is just a conversation piece.

Neil Young anchor babies!

Postby notyou2 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

A toehold!!!

Get more troops into the breech!!!!
Captain notyou2

Next

Return to Babble-On Five