Neil Young.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Neil Young.

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:57 am

For anybody who likes Neil Young, you should check out Magnolia Electric Co.:

At Least the Dark Don't Hide It

Such Pretty Eyes for a Snake

The Last Three Human Words

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 am

Ooh almost forgot this one:

Cowgirl in the Sand

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby KoolBak on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 am

So has anyone seen that odd movie Dead Man with Johnny Depp? Good movie, but the instumentals were written and performed specifically for the movie by Neil....excellent tunes....

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant KoolBak

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby oVo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:55 am

Another great album from the "Harvest" era is "Comes a Time"... I just bought "Psychodelic" /Neil Young & Crazy Horse and on the first listen was a bit disappointed. It will likely grow on me in time as I haven't had the chance to give the double cd a good listen, if you like his drawn out long jams this new release is probably for you. I also like his "Hawks & Doves" and "Everybody's Rockin' albums.

In a similar time to early Neil Young is my two favorite Grateful Dead albums,
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead.

Arlo Guthrie is always a good show worth going out of the way to attend. Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits are both in leagues of their own.

fyi... if you like listening to a broad range of music
there's a broad spectrum of sounds here.
Colonel oVo

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby notyou2 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Those 2 Dead albums, in my opinion are their best studio albums, but everyone knows they were a live band, not a studio band.

Ovo did you ever get to see them when Jerry was alive?
Lieutenant notyou2

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)

Postby nietzsche on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Ooh almost forgot this one:

Cowgirl in the Sand

-TG

I came.

Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby nietzsche on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 am

"The Boss" isn't so bossy here - Neil Young definitely taking the lead!

How Neil Young makes a guitar sound so godawful bad, and yet so very right, is an eternal mystery.

Major nietzsche

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby nietzsche on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:38 am

nietzsche wrote:
This guy is awesome.

Better than awesome. Very close to Dylan.

Better than Bob Dylan.

Major nietzsche

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:53 am

I was just having a discussion about Neil Young's Southern Man & Alabama and Lynard Skynard's response to those two songs with Sweet Home Alabama this night past.

Skynard's song is a very poor defense of Alabama's Jim Crow laws. Now, granted, the meaning behind Ronnie Van Zant's lyrics of "now we all did what we could do" is supposedly unknown. But that's exactly why his line is supporting Jim Crow. If he was against segregation, he could have said so in the song, and owned up to the fact that some Southerners supported segregation, but not all do. But by leaving the line neutral, he's silently consenting to the practice. And he's allowing everyone to listen to it and interpret their own meaning... making the song just as friendly to racists as to civil right's activists. Van Zant later said that he didn't like what governor Wallace said about blacks, but the lyrics remain far too ambiguous for anyone listening to them to say that Van Zant himself wasn't consenting to segregation. I don't know if this was lost in the Southern Revival of the 70's or what, but this seems like a very obvious conclusion for me.
Neil Young might be generalizing with Southern Man and Alabama, but his songs hit the mark because they accuse all Southerners/Alabamans of the time of at least silently consenting to segregation. Skynard's ambiguous statements about Jim Crow and saying "well we don't need Neil young anyhow" is no response to Neil's scathing accusations.

That's my Yankee take.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby john9blue on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:19 am

neil young is one of the reasons i will allow canada
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby KoolBak on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 am

Interesting...never heard that particular piece of the debate.

You know that Van Zandt (with a "D") and Neil were very close friends right? The supposed feud was an artistic one and one that didn't exist in reality, although it propelled Skynrd to fame....lol.

Those 2 songs spurred all kinds of southern tunes....off the top of my head, Gator Country by Hatchet (slams Skynrd directly), Southern Boy by Charlie Daniels, the Outlaws, 38 Special, Marshall Tucker, The Allman Bros ad nauseum.....I love the old southern rock and find it entertaining how these dudes all banter it back and forth.

I like Gator Country the best....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant KoolBak

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Previous

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?