Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby rishaed on Sat May 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Woodruff wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:I've recently discovered gog, and I've been playing Heroes of might and magic II also Ceasar 3.

Great site that has lots of cool old games. I've been getting as much amusement out of these old games as I do a more modern one at fractions of the cost!

Anyways I love Ceasar three the mix of sand box and objectives is fun/challenging

HoMM2 I played so much out of back in the day. I also had 3 and 4, but 2 I probably liked the most. But I think 4 did have the nice mechanic of having creatures roam the world without an adventurer, which was nice.

GOG.com sale with Heroes of Might and Magic Titles on the cheap, plus Might and Magic (the rpg) 6-pack of old school games for like 5 bucks. And a bunch of other ubisoft games on discount: http://www.gog.com/promo/ubisoft_weekend_promo_170513

Might and Magic 6 and 7 (not Heroes) are my all-time favorite RPGs, above even Baldur's Gate (which is second).

Baldur's Gate=Awesome :) Of course we cheated to get doubled gear in the last stage >:) :roll: O:)
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun May 19, 2013 10:56 am

Today (maybe only today) Amazon is having a digital download (Steam DRM) sale for Bioshock and Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite.

The first 2 older titles you can get in a downloadable bundle for $5.00 :

Bioshock Infinite is discounted to $35.00 (from $60.00), but I probably will wait for a better deal on that after it has been out for longer.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Lootifer on Sun May 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Woodruff wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:I've recently discovered gog, and I've been playing Heroes of might and magic II also Ceasar 3.

Great site that has lots of cool old games. I've been getting as much amusement out of these old games as I do a more modern one at fractions of the cost!

Anyways I love Ceasar three the mix of sand box and objectives is fun/challenging

HoMM2 I played so much out of back in the day. I also had 3 and 4, but 2 I probably liked the most. But I think 4 did have the nice mechanic of having creatures roam the world without an adventurer, which was nice.

GOG.com sale with Heroes of Might and Magic Titles on the cheap, plus Might and Magic (the rpg) 6-pack of old school games for like 5 bucks. And a bunch of other ubisoft games on discount: http://www.gog.com/promo/ubisoft_weekend_promo_170513

Might and Magic 6 and 7 (not Heroes) are my all-time favorite RPGs, above even Baldur's Gate (which is second).

HI-YAH, ITS ME, IMOEN!
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:09 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Today (maybe only today) Amazon is having a digital download (Steam DRM) sale for Bioshock and Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite.

The first 2 older titles you can get in a downloadable bundle for $5.00 :

Bioshock Infinite is discounted to $35.00 (from $60.00), but I probably will wait for a better deal on that after it has been out for longer.

--Andy

And now I have them digitally for the lowest price I've ever seen next to free. Great eye, Andy!

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby squishyg on Sun May 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Puzzle and Dragons. Still.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 20, 2013 3:32 pm

This has been on the news for a couple of days, but thought I would post it on our Off Topics: Nintendo grabs money, control from fans promoting its games on Youtube

In what's sure to be one of its most unpopular moves in recent memory, Nintendo has decided to claim ownership over many popular YouTube videos featuring its games. Specifically, they've targeted “Let's Play” videos, where online personalities play games and offer running commentary.

These videos serve as a sort of mega-hybrid between a livestream, a game review, and a walkthrough. Nintendo has decided that because the videos lean so heavily on their products for the visual element that they fall under their copyright. As of now, the advertising revenue from these videos will go to Nintendo instead of the YouTube creator.

Nintendo is using Youtube's Content ID system to make this happen. The service searches Youtube for video or audio that matches a company's content, and then gives them control over that Youtube submission. “Identify user-uploaded videos comprised entirely OR partially of their content, and choose, in advance, what they want to happen when those videos are found,” the official page states. “Make money from them. Get stats on them. Or block them from YouTube altogether.”

The real question that nobody seems able to answer right now is why Nintendo is bothering to legally pursue fans who are spreading the word about their games. YouTube ad revenue is famously low, and the earnings from Nintendo videos are virtually nil by the standards of an international corporation.

--Andy

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

I downloaded Panzer General II from gog and the graphics are all effed up. I tried to reduce my screen resolution and I installed an older version of DirectX, but nothing seems to work.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Lootifer on Mon May 20, 2013 4:34 pm

Whoa that Nintendo thing is pure arse.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Lootifer wrote:Whoa that Nintendo thing is pure arse.

I'm not sure I care enough that Nintendo is getting paid rather than the "online personalities."

Postby Woodruff on Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I downloaded Panzer General II from gog and the graphics are all effed up. I tried to reduce my screen resolution and I installed an older version of DirectX, but nothing seems to work.

Hmmm...I'm running Panzer General II on my XP system. Are you past XP? Perhaps that is the issue. Maybe try running in DosBox?

If not, there is a THRIVING online community for the game. Massive amounts of campaigns, scenarios, equipment compilations...all kinds of modifications. So I'll bet someone can help you out with it.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I downloaded Panzer General II from gog and the graphics are all effed up. I tried to reduce my screen resolution and I installed an older version of DirectX, but nothing seems to work.

Hmmm...I'm running Panzer General II on my XP system. Are you past XP? Perhaps that is the issue. Maybe try running in DosBox?

If not, there is a THRIVING online community for the game. Massive amounts of campaigns, scenarios, equipment compilations...all kinds of modifications. So I'll bet someone can help you out with it.

I have whatever is after XP (8?). I'll try DosBox.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue May 21, 2013 12:06 am

Finally got Minecraft for the PC (been playing the 360 version for awhile and know most recipes). Anyone know of any good servers that are beginner friendly? Like no griefing or anything like that?
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Lootifer on Tue May 21, 2013 12:09 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I have whatever is after XP (8?). I'll try DosBox.

I use d-fend reloaded. Comes with dosbox and handles things like install files and other legacy stuff pretty well.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Woodruff wrote:

If you're interested in LOADS of PGII campaigns, scenarios and maps:
http://www.adlerkorps.com/
http://www.strategyplanet.com/panzergeneral/pg2main_maps.html
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby ManBungalow on Wed May 22, 2013 10:01 am

Theme Hospital

Colonel ManBungalow

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 22, 2013 10:09 am

I remember playing a demo of Theme Hospital back sometime ago---I think back when in the mail I'd get demo CDs from PC Gamer, ha.

--Andy

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 22, 2013 11:02 am

ManBungalow wrote:Theme Hospital

I've still got that one on the computer - I play it on occasion when I want something
that is sort of fun (a lot of humor in it), but not too detail oriented.

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Microsoft announced their new 'Xbox One' system (minus pricing and some other details): http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ame-system

I've never been a console gamer, so it doesn't mean much to me, but all you console gamers out there, thoughts? It isn't also backwards compatible, which isn't surprising either. Ha.

--Andy

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed May 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

If you're interested in LOADS of PGII campaigns, scenarios and maps:
http://www.adlerkorps.com/
http://www.strategyplanet.com/panzergeneral/pg2main_maps.html

Okay, I found an answer (deep in the bowels of GOG). I have to keep the screen resolution adjustment page open while playing the game. I seriously love this game.

I will attempt to download those things above (once I've played the game through). Thank you sir.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed May 22, 2013 5:55 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Microsoft announced their new 'Xbox One' system (minus pricing and some other details): http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ame-system

I've never been a console gamer, so it doesn't mean much to me, but all you console gamers out there, thoughts? It isn't also backwards compatible, which isn't surprising either. Ha.

--Andy

Not backwards compatible, needs access to the internet one every 24 hours, and you have to pay a fee to play used games.

Although it will come with split screen, skype, incredible graphics, kinect (improved version), and multiple apps, the 3 things in my first line REALLY hurt it. A lot of people have invested hundreds of dollars in video games alone for the 360, and with only a handful of options for games when the Xbox 1 is released, sales are going to be good the first week, and then crash from there on out.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:This has been on the news for a couple of days, but thought I would post it on our Off Topics: Nintendo grabs money, control from fans promoting its games on Youtube

In what's sure to be one of its most unpopular moves in recent memory, Nintendo has decided to claim ownership over many popular YouTube videos featuring its games. Specifically, they've targeted “Let's Play” videos, where online personalities play games and offer running commentary.

These videos serve as a sort of mega-hybrid between a livestream, a game review, and a walkthrough. Nintendo has decided that because the videos lean so heavily on their products for the visual element that they fall under their copyright. As of now, the advertising revenue from these videos will go to Nintendo instead of the YouTube creator.

Nintendo is using Youtube's Content ID system to make this happen. The service searches Youtube for video or audio that matches a company's content, and then gives them control over that Youtube submission. “Identify user-uploaded videos comprised entirely OR partially of their content, and choose, in advance, what they want to happen when those videos are found,” the official page states. “Make money from them. Get stats on them. Or block them from YouTube altogether.”

The real question that nobody seems able to answer right now is why Nintendo is bothering to legally pursue fans who are spreading the word about their games. YouTube ad revenue is famously low, and the earnings from Nintendo videos are virtually nil by the standards of an international corporation.

--Andy

What a bunch of shitheads (Nintendo, that is). Another example of how copyright laws reduce innovation and production.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:This has been on the news for a couple of days, but thought I would post it on our Off Topics: Nintendo grabs money, control from fans promoting its games on Youtube

--Andy

What a bunch of shitheads (Nintendo, that is). Another example of how copyright laws reduce innovation and production.

For me, it's not even that...it's incredibly short-sighted on their part. These guys are MAKING NINTENDO MONEY by doing what they do. Why would they want to cut that out?

Aside from that, like thegreekdog, I'm rather "meh" as far as whether these guys get paid or not. I just think it's a dumb move.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

--Andy

For me, it's not even that...it's incredibly short-sighted on their part. These guys are MAKING NINTENDO MONEY by doing what they do. Why would they want to cut that out?

Aside from that, like thegreekdog, I'm rather "meh" as far as whether these guys get paid or not. I just think it's a dumb move.

Sure, there's that--from Nintendo's perspective, and yeah it doesn't make sense. I'm just responding to the typical argument I hear which supports patents and copyright law.

I'm miffed about their money being stolen by Nintendo because they provided a service which people demanded, and through that demand, some portion clicks on Ads at their YouTube channel. The ad revenue can serve as supplemental income for those who provide valuable services. When Nintendo and its swamp of lawyers bully YouTube and shove their USG-mandated laws in their face, then we should all be annoyed that a company + government laws is stealing revenue which was honestly made.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Gillipig on Thu May 23, 2013 2:16 am

Maybe Nintendo thinks people watch the let's plays instead of playing themselves. Can't say I have ever been satisfied with just watching someone else play a game, but hey maybe there's a few percent that does. More seriously I think what they're really after here is control, the money is next to nothing for a company this grand, but like a lot of other mega companies (like google) they're control freaks. They see the numbers, millions of people watch let's plays of their games, and they want to control what they get to see. If the youtube host is being negative towards the game, talking trash and saying how bad etc and etc is, they want to remove that video. They want to control what is being said about their games, because that can influence how many actually buy their games. And they also want people to use youtube to check out their games, because I can speak from own experience, once I start watching one of these let's plays, the odds of me buying it increases.

For most popular games there are multiple users doing let's plays, from the company's standpoint it doesn't matter how many people makes these let's plays as long as someone makes it. It only takes one user to give everyone who's curious about the game a sneak peak of it. This is something they don't want to get rid of, but luckily for them, somene is always going to make a let's play of a popular game, even if they get no money for it. Because they get subscribers, many of them, that might watch other videos that they make. So by doing this (sieging control of let's plays) they get their so cherished control.

The trade off is fewer let's plays of their games, but the availability of let's plays will still be there. The more talented let's players with a large amount of subscribers will most likely not bother making let's plays of their games since they get no money for it, and perhaps this brings with it a slight reduction in number of people that watch let's plays of Nintendo games, but for a control freak company, that amount is acceptable, and all in all it can probably be negated by the removal of neagtive let's play videos of their games. If a negative let's play has millions of views, it's bound to influence some people to not buy the game who would otherwise have bought it. These videos only works to deter people from buying their games and I think this is the main reason why they went through all this trouble in the first place. To shut up some negative let's players.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,