What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby Lootifer on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Kickstarter, and many of the projects on there, try to make it clear you aren't really "purchasing" items like in a store, these are "rewards" for backing and investing in a project you'd like to see.

It's essentially like the PBS model. The tote bag and a Lawrence Welk DVD aren't really worth $75, but your "support" is supposed to fill in the gap between your reward and your pledge.

For Video games, I usually don't pledge beyond what I would pay for a game normally (so nothing greater than $20 usually). I also backed an album for $2 on another project, and got a digital download and updates regarding the making-of process. Some projects you get more bang for your buck definitely.

--Andy

BigBallinStalin wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Torment: Tides of Numenera on Kickstarter has passed the 4 Million mark (with some extra funds coming in through paypal directly to them as well). It is now the highest funded game on Kickstarter, and continues to climb with about 2ish hours left. Looks like a decent fun game to play when it comes out...18 some months from now. Ha. But I figured it was worth a token $20 to get a copy of the game that will supposedly be so reactive and interesting from an RPG perspective. I'll just cut back on bananas for few weeks.

Torment on Kickstarter. 2ish hours to go if you want to hop in.

--Andy

Crowdsourcing is interesting. I looked through the various Pledge levels, and none sell any stake of ownership in the game--yet many have paid >$100 for just... stuff. Gimmicks, novellas, recognition in credits, etc. It's weird how much some are willing to pay for these kinds of things. (Yet not ownership rights or royalties or anything--maybe those are for people who call in personally offering >$10,000).

Backing and Investing kind of implies you get some kind of payback for your support though.

Its much more of a donation rather than an investment imo.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Sergeant 1st Class Lootifer

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Investment might not have been the perfect word, but you get the jist, just like I explained above. Yo.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Humble Double Fine Bundle has been released:

I haven't played Brutal Legend, but I hear it is pretty amusing and fun. The games likely won't appeal to everyone, but Psychonauts is pretty fun and has a worthwhile story. Stacking has an interesting game mechanic, even if it is a bit simplistic, and Costume Quest is nice game to give to one of your kids or young relatives (though really any fit that mold).

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

Machinarium (2009) is on GOG.com for $4.00, so if you are looking for some point and click adventuring and puzzling, and if you love robots (I do), check it out: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/machinarium ... rs_edition

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Machinarium (2009) is on GOG.com for $4.00, so if you are looking for some point and click adventuring and puzzling, and if you love robots (I do), check it out: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/machinarium ... rs_edition

--Andy

This is looking to be pretty fine.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator

Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am

Still doing ME3.

Random Fact: You can't get the Extended Endings if you use an old playthrough where you just imported an already saved and completed game in ME3 (pre-extended endings). You can do all of the other DLC, but not the extended endings.

I hate starting over, but ME3 is still pretty fun.
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 am

Has anyone got into the BioShock series? I've heard quite a bit about the games over the years, but never picked any of the games up. I'm keeping my eye out for some decent steam deals.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Has anyone got into the BioShock series? I've heard quite a bit about the games over the years, but never picked any of the games up. I'm keeping my eye out for some decent steam deals.

--Andy

I've only heard good things about it, but never had the chance to try any of them out.
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Has anyone got into the BioShock series? I've heard quite a bit about the games over the years, but never picked any of the games up. I'm keeping my eye out for some decent steam deals.

--Andy

The first and third I've been heard to be called a "work of art" as far as video games go. I think that you'd appreciate them especially, Andy! They're dark/dystopian and very 1960's ish all at the same time. Here's a synopsis for you:

The game's concept was developed by Irrational's creative lead, Ken Levine, and was based on the ideas of Objectivism as highlighted by Ayn Rand, while incorporating influences from other authors such as George Orwell. The game is considered a spiritual successor to the System Shock series, which many of Irrational's team including Levine had worked on previously.[14][15]
BioShock is set in 1960, in which the player guides the protagonist, Jack, after his airplane crashes in the ocean near the bathysphere terminus that leads to the underwater city of Rapture. Built by the business magnate Andrew Ryan, the city was intended to be an isolated utopia, but the discovery of ADAM, a plasmid which grants superhuman powers, initiated the city's turbulent decline. Jack tries to find a way to escape, fighting through hordes of ADAM-obsessed enemies such as the deadly Big Daddies, while engaging with the few sane humans that remain and eventually learning of Rapture's past. The player, as Jack, is able to defeat foes in a number of ways by using weapons, utilizing plasmids that give unique powers and by turning Rapture's own defenses against them. BioShock includes elements of role-playing games, giving the player different approaches in engaging enemies such as by stealth, as well as moral choices of saving or killing characters.

BMO
Retired Administrator

Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah, they seem like games I'd enjoy. Here's to hoping a Steam deal happens sometime, or an Amazon digital download deal...

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby Gillipig on Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 pm

What is the first video game you guys have memory of playing?
The first video game I have any memory of playing was Mortal Kombat II, on super nintendo, the year was probably 1994.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Gillipig wrote:What is the first video game you guys have memory of playing?
The first video game I have any memory of playing was Mortal Kombat II, on super nintendo, the year was probably 1994.

Frogger!

BMO
Retired Administrator

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Super Mario Bros on the Super Nintendo.

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm

There are two games I recall playing back in the day, but I can't recall for the life of a banana what they were named. One I have a better memory of, it was something like Rampage, but it wasn't Rampage I don't think. I just remember skyscrapers, lots of blue color, and maybe lots of yellow windows, and a gorilla I think.

Edit: Pretty sure this was the game: Gorillas (MS-DOS): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_%28video_game%29

The second one I have even less of a memory of, but I am pretty sure it was some sort of spaceship shooter, but not Asteroids, on a monochromatic monitor (I remember everything being green).

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:There are two games I recall playing back in the day, but I can't recall for the life of a banana what they were named. One I have a better memory of, it was something like Rampage, but it wasn't Rampage I don't think. I just remember skyscrapers, lots of blue color, and maybe lots of yellow windows, and a gorilla I think.

Edit: Pretty sure this was the game: Gorillas (MS-DOS): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_%28video_game%29

The second one I have even less of a memory of, but I am pretty sure it was some sort of spaceship shooter, but not Asteroids, on a monochromatic monitor (I remember everything being green).

--Andy

Older than Wing Commander?

I recall playing a game which needed about 8 or so of the 5" floppies. It took place in space, and you had to manually type out commands (e.g. examine Body). I recall there being aliens which were in the ship killing your people, so you had to avoid them.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri May 10, 2013 1:33 pm

I remember playing some intellivision games.

First rela memory was Xmas when I got my NES with Mario and Rampage
Sergeant 1st Class BGtheBrain
Official Pooper Scooper
Official Pooper Scooper

Medals: 98
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (45) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (4)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Yeah, I mean it really had bare minimum graphics. Nothing as fancy as that cockpit.

Here is the game Gorillas game...you can play it: http://www.kongregate.com/games/moly/gorillas-bas

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 10, 2013 2:00 pm

I just installed Neverwinter Nights 2 and the two expansions.

YEAH WEEKEND!

Andy - Any review on Crusader Kings 2? I'm thinking of finally making the purchase.
Sergeant thegreekdog

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Woodruff on Fri May 10, 2013 2:03 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I just installed Neverwinter Nights 2 and the two expansions.

Excellent choice. Spoiler:

show
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Andy - Any review on Crusader Kings 2? I'm thinking of finally making the purchase.

I like it, and it is a decent game to dink around with. If you haven't already, I suggest downloading the Free DEMO from Steam and play it some to see if tantalizes you, and watch a youtube gameplay video. I did both, and they both helped me make my decision to get it.

I'd suggest seeing if you can get a deal on a digital download, of course. $40.00 on Steam is pretty steep, especially considering thy had a deal for like $8.00 a few months ago, plus the DLC on the cheap as well. Also, sometimes Amazon has a digital download discount sale too. If you aren't looking to get it right away, I'd setup a Google Alert for Crusader Kings 2 download sale or something like that, to get notified when a possible deal is available.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Bioshock. The first is a lot of fun and worth the money. I'm sure it's really cheap by now. Good play and story. Have the second but haven't played it yet. Heard story wasn't as great bu gameplay was improved some.

As for earliest game memory, I remember getting a NES for xmas when I was around 3 and my dad hogging super mario bros 3. It's one my earliest memories.

Man this was a painto type out on an Android tablet.

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby Serbia on Fri May 10, 2013 6:22 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:I remember playing some intellivision games.

My step-mom had Intellivision. The one game I remember was Burger Time.

Also, I used to love playing the old Wing Commander. Is it possible to get that on Windows 8?

Bollocks.
Captain Serbia

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (6)

Postby maxfaraday on Fri May 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Serbia wrote:

Also, I used to love playing the old Wing Commander. Is it possible to get that on Windows 8?

Bollocks.

Yes it is, use emulators like DOSBOX for instance:

http://www.dosbox.com/
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Gillipig on Sat May 11, 2013 3:43 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:

Super Mario Bros on the Super Nintendo.

A fun game for sure, I remember playing it as well. But I can remember playing mortal kombat before. My parents didn't allow me to play video games at that age and especially not mortal kombat because it was too violent (no kidding, that's one violent game lol), but my older brother was allowed to play it, so at least we had it. I sneaked in and played it when my parents wasn't around hehe. Ninja turtles was a favorite as well, but I think I was a little older when I played that. And then there was a game that I borrowed from a friend that I knew I wasn't allowed to play, but I hid it and only played it when my parents weren't around. I was a sneaky boy. Donkey kong country was a big favorite as well. But it was a bit too hard for me at that age.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby maxfaraday on Sat May 11, 2013 10:33 am

maxfaraday wrote:
Serbia wrote:

Bollocks.

Yes it is, use emulators like DOSBOX for instance:

http://www.dosbox.com/

Or you can buy it:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wing_commander_1_2
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five