Conquer Club

Mitt Romney Scandals

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mitt Romney Scandals

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Woodruff wrote:First of all, I do not at all blame Romney for what occurs in this video because he almost certainly has nothing to do with it, I just couldn't think of a better place to put it. This is more of an "Election scandal" than a "Romney scandal":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdk55dLsFhc

The silence is deafening.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby notyou2 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Night Strike wrote:Or it was simply a clause of a contract that they forgot to have removed.

You sure do have a lot of excuses. Or perhaps you simply exhibit blind republican faith.
Captain notyou2

Postby Night Strike on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

notyou2 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:Or it was simply a clause of a contract that they forgot to have removed.

You sure do have a lot of excuses. Or perhaps you simply exhibit blind republican faith.

Nope, just correcting idiotic attack lines.
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Night Strike wrote:
notyou2 wrote:

Nope, just correcting idiotic attack lines.

Except that you didn't really "correct" anything, because you were just guessing.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:33 pm

ā€œBain Capital is an investment partnership which was formed to invest in startup companies and ongoing companies, then to take an active hand in managing them and hopefully, five to eight years later, to harvest them at a significant profit.ā€

Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:55 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:
ā€œBain Capital is an investment partnership which was formed to invest in startup companies and ongoing companies, then to take an active hand in managing them and hopefully, five to eight years later, to harvest them at a significant profit.ā€

Where's the scandal? If they're gaining profits from a company 5-8 years after buying them up, that means they've made it into a successful business. Profits are good things.
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:

Where's the scandal? If they're gaining profits from a company 5-8 years after buying them up, that means they've made it into a successful business. Profits are good things.

Profits are not necessarily good things if they come at the expense of a large number of other people. They are merely good things to those that profit. Which is pretty key to Romney's Bain problem, and his difficulty winning-over people, no?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:

Profits are not necessarily good things if they come at the expense of a large number of other people. They are merely good things to those that profit. Which is pretty key to Romney's Bain problem, and his difficulty winning-over people, no?

At whose expense are those profits coming from? If Bain Capital wasn't gaining profits from those companies, those employees would not have their current jobs. The only "problem" is that this president has succeeded in demonizing "profit" and fails to realize that it's a desire for profit that allows businesses to succeed. If there was no profit to be gained from running a business, that business would not be open and would not be employing individuals or selling products.
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:

At whose expense are those profits coming from? If Bain Capital wasn't gaining profits from those companies, those employees would not have their current jobs. The only "problem" is that this president has succeeded in demonizing "profit" and fails to realize that it's a desire for profit that allows businesses to succeed. If there was no profit to be gained from running a business, that business would not be open and would not be employing individuals or selling products.

Contrariwise, who is the profit going to? I know you're a bit of a religious fanatic when it comes to Obama, but do you really want to stand by your statement that he's "demonizing" profit?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Symmetry wrote:Contrariwise, who is the profit going to? I know you're a bit of a religious fanatic when it comes to Obama, but do you really want to stand by your statement that he's "demonizing" profit?

The profit goes to those who invest in the company, whether that be public/private investors or the owner of the business. If they won't be making profits from their company, they will sell it or not start it. And yes, Obama demonizes profits.
Major Night Strike

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm

I've seen the demon Obama. Just wait til he turns the world over to his father, Satan. Wait, that is the plot of Rosemary's Baby I think.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:59 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I've seen the demon Obama. Just wait til he turns the world over to his father, Satan. Wait, that is the plot of Rosemary's Baby I think.

--Andy

:roll: More pointless spam. :roll:
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I've seen the demon Obama. Just wait til he turns the world over to his father, Satan. Wait, that is the plot of Rosemary's Baby I think.

--Andy

It's also the RNC platform as far as I can tell.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm

Night Strike wrote: :roll: More pointless spam. :roll:

One man's point is another man's pointlessness...

That sounds vaguely dirty.

--Andy

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Night Strike wrote:Obama demonizes profits.

The sad decline of the American republican party in a nutshell.

Conveniently available as a bumper sticker for people who like stickers.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Symmetry wrote:

When has Obama ever said that businesses making a profit is good for the economy? He thinks all those businesses and "rich people" aren't paying their "fair share" and must turn more money over to the government.
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

When has Obama ever said that businesses making a profit is good for the economy? He thinks all those businesses and "rich people" aren't paying their "fair share" and must turn more money over to the government.

I ain't quite the psychic demon catcher you propose to be, so I can't make the predictions that the president of the United States is secretly demonic.

Plus, I ain't quite as religious as you.

But anyway, crazy and religious as you've gotten on this issue, perhaps you can tone the rhetoric down and admit that Obama ain't against profit (possibly the weirdest accusation I've seen leveled against him).
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I ain't quite the psychic demon catcher you propose to be, so I can't make the predictions that the president of the United States is secretly demonic.

But anyway, crazy and religious as you've gotten on this issue, perhaps you can tone the rhetoric down and admit that Obama ain't against profit (possibly the weirdest accusation I've seen leveled against him).

Amazing how liberals twist and distort. I never once said Obama was a demon or anything demonic. I simply said that he "demonizes" profits, which means to belittle, characterize as evil, etc.

If Obama's reelection were so safe, why do you need to twist and distort anything his opponents say and everything that has happened this month?
Major Night Strike

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Night Strike wrote:Amazing how liberals twist and distort. I never once said Obama was a demon or anything demonic. I simply said that he "demonizes" profits, which means to belittle, characterize as evil, etc.

If Obama's reelection were so safe, why do you need to twist and distort anything his opponents say and everything that has happened this month?

Demonize is one of those words that really just looks silly out of original religious context.

--Andy

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:44 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Night Strike wrote:Amazing how liberals twist and distort. I never once said Obama was a demon or anything demonic. I simply said that he "demonizes" profits, which means to belittle, characterize as evil, etc.

Demonize is one of those words that really just looks silly out of original religious context.

--Andy

Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Night Strike wrote:And yes, Obama demonizes profits.

Yer gonna have to provide some cites for that, Night Strike...please don't Phatscotty it.

Postby Woodruff on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Amazing how liberals twist and distort. I never once said Obama was a demon or anything demonic. I simply said that he "demonizes" profits, which means to belittle, characterize as evil, etc.

Your desperation is palpable. You do realize that blindly supporting Romney and attacking Obama in this forum isn't really going to affect the reality that Obama is going to win the election, don't you?

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Woodruff wrote:Your desperation is palpable. You do realize that blindly supporting Romney and attacking Obama in this forum isn't really going to affect the reality that Obama is going to win the election, don't you?

I do not subscribe to the belief that it's a foregone conclusion that Obama will win. And it's not a blind support of Romney. I know that he has had success in each of the places he has been in the past and that the current president is actively working to harm our country. I did not think he was the best conservative in the primary, but he's the only person even remotely conservative running for president. And with a conservative Congress, he will actually sign conservative pieces of legislation instead of being an automatic veto. Romney is a "trust but verify" candidate.
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Your desperation is palpable. You do realize that blindly supporting Romney and attacking Obama in this forum isn't really going to affect the reality that Obama is going to win the election, don't you?

I do not subscribe to the belief that it's a foregone conclusion that Obama will win. And it's not a blind support of Romney. I know that he has had success in each of the places he has been in the past and that the current president is actively working to harm our country. I did not think he was the best conservative in the primary, but he's the only person even remotely conservative running for president. And with a conservative Congress, he will actually sign conservative pieces of legislation instead of being an automatic veto. Romney is a "trust but verify" candidate.

That's kind of a bizarre thought. I can accept that people might think that Obama is a bad president, but that he's "actively trying to harm our country" pushes you into nustso realms.

Seriously, how far are you willing to push this?
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,