Conquer Club

Mitt Romney Scandals

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mitt Romney Scandals

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 pm

I guess this will be on Liberal Media tonight.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby bedub1 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Things his wife shouldn't have said.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2012/5 ... ann-romney

That was a pretty biased hit-piece, in my view. However, I did find #4 to be absolutely hilarious. Egad!

I can see Ann say this:
What, doesn't everybody use off-shore accounts to hide their money from the government to reduce their tax bill? It's the way to get around taxes, duh. She doesn't realize that 100% of MY income get's reported to the government by the people that give it to me. I don't have the OPTION to break the law like her. Mines reported on a 1099 or W2 form to me, and something similar to the feds.

She doesn't consider herself rich. That is horrible. She doesn't even understand how much money she has, she just thinks its her god-given right. Of course she should be incredibly wealthy. Can you imagine her as a single mother, 2 kids, working 2 jobs, barely sleeping, eating, seeing her kids? Living in a 1 bedroom apt in the ghetto. She wouldn't last a day.

She's obviously incredibly wealthy, but claims she isn't rich, as she clearly wants MORE MONEY. She's still not happy with all her fortunes. She still wants more. The greed is strong with this one.
Colonel bedub1

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 am

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:37 pm

http://theimmoralminority.blogspot.com/ ... about.html

Harry Reid wrote:There is a controversy because the Republican presidential nominee, Governor Mitt Romney, refuses to release his tax returns. As I said before, I was told by an extremely credible source that Romney has not paid taxes for ten years. People who make as much money as Mitt Romney have many tricks at their disposal to avoid paying taxes. We already know that Romney has exploited many of these loopholes, stashing his money in secret, overseas accounts in places like Switzerland and the Cayman Islands.

Last weekend, Governor Romney promised that he would check his tax returns and let the American people know whether he ever paid a rate lower than 13.9 percent. One day later, his campaign raced to say he had no intention of putting out any further information.

When it comes to answering the legitimate questions the American people have about whether he avoided paying his fair share in taxes or why he opened a Swiss bank account, Romney has shut up. But as a presidential candidate, it’s his obligation to put up, and release several years’ worth of tax returns just like nominees of both parties have done for decades.

It’s clear Romney is hiding something, and the American people deserve to know what it is. Whatever Romney’s hiding probably speaks volumes about how he would approach issues that directly impact middle-class families, like tax reform and the economy. When you are running for president, you should be an open book.

I understand Romney is concerned that many people, Democrats and Republicans, have been calling on him to release his tax returns. He has so far refused. There is only one thing he can do to clear this up, and that’s release his tax returns.

Whatever the level of exaggeration from the Senator or his source, there is probably at least some level of truth to the statement. Unfortunately, Romney is stonewalling the American public by not releasing his records so we’ll never know the truth.

But the source coming to Harry Reid for these revelations adds a level of intrigue. Reid just happens to be the highest-ranking member of the Mormon Church in the history of this nation.

It is likely that Senator Reid’s source shares the Mormon religion with Reid and Romney.

That message will not be lost on Romney. If the Bain fortress is not a fortress; if people are talking, Romney knows that trouble lies ahead.

And the motivation for this leak may not be political. It is likely personal and tied to the Mormon Church.

Specifically, if Romney was hiding money from the IRS he may have hidden money from his church.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Bumped by the same person for the past three days, and still no one cares.

Take some tips from JuanScotty, Phat_Bottom.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Symmetry on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Bumped by the same person for the past three days, and still no one cares.

Meh- you're really going after him. Did he kick your dog or something?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:28 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Bumped by the same person for the past three days, and still no one cares.

Actually, I find this thread interesting. I haven't said anything, since I know nothing about the subject and would have nothing useful to add. That's often the case -- just because people aren't responding doesn't mean they don't care.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Did Mitt Romney lie about his time hiding from Vietnam as a Missionary in poor old France?

Mitt Romney's life as a poor Mormon missionary in France questioned
“I would describe it as a palace”.

Tearful as he described the house, Mr Anderson, 70, of Kaysville, Utah, said Romney aides had asked him not to speak publicly about their time together there.

Of course again, European News is ahead of US news.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:30 pm

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-05 ... ank-report

Mitt Romney was a notorious high school prankster whose antics may have verged on gay bashing, according to a blockbuster report.

Romney, while a student at an elite Michigan prep school in 1965, tormented a flamboyant fellow student for his dyed hair, the Washington Post reported.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee then gathered his prep school posse and pinned the student, John Lauber, to the ground.

Romney pulled out a pair of scissors and forcibly cut Lauber’s hair, the paper said.

Lauber, who later came out as gay, lived a nomadic life, moving frequently throughout the Midwest before being drawn to combat zones in the last two decades.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Did Mitt Romney lie about his time hiding from Vietnam as a Missionary in poor old France?

Mitt Romney's life as a poor Mormon missionary in France questioned
“I would describe it as a palace”.

Tearful as he described the house, Mr Anderson, 70, of Kaysville, Utah, said Romney aides had asked him not to speak publicly about their time together there.

Of course again, European News is ahead of US news.

Formerly the Embassy to the United Arab Emirates.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:35 pm

HORY SHEET

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/0 ... ref=topbar

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) fired back at Republicans accusing Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) of lying about a Bain Capital investor telling him that Mitt Romney hadn't paid taxes in 10 years. They don’t know what they're talking about, Pelosi says.

"Harry Reid made a statement that is true. Somebody told him. It is a fact," Pelosi told The Huffington Post in a Sunday interview. "Whether he did or not can easily be disposed of: Mitt Romney can release his tax returns and show whether he paid taxes."

Both Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus came out swinging against Reid on Sunday over his claims about Romney potentially not paying taxes. Asked to respond to Priebus calling Reid "a dirty liar" over the situation, Pelosi initially responded, "Who?" She went on to say that Priebus doesn't know what he's talking about since he wasn't part of Reid's conversations.

"Well he doesn't know that," Pelosi said. "Harry Reid is a person who is, as we know, A, is a fighter, B, he wouldn't say this unless it was true that somebody told him that."

The Hypothesis that someone within the Mormon Church was trying to out Romney seems probable at this junction. Obviously the Dems are using this for profit, but the Hypothesis does seem to have some weight given Reid's position in Romney's own church.

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:36 pm

=D> =D> keep it up. Thread is brilliant.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Bloomberg: Bain Capital “Ripped Off” Italian Taxpayers When Romney Was CEO

Bain Capital, under Romney as chief executive officer, made about $1 billion in a leveraged buyout 12 years ago that remains controversial in Italy to this day. Bain was part of a group that bought a telephone-directory company from the Italian government and then sold it about two years later, at the peak of the technology bubble, for about 25 times what it paid.

Bain funneled profits through subsidiaries in Luxembourg, a common corporate strategy for avoiding income taxes in other European countries, according to documents reviewed by Bloomberg News. The buyer, Italy’s biggest telephone company, now has a total market value less than what it paid Bain and other investors for the directory business.

In Italy, the deals have spurred at least three books, separate legal and regulatory probes and newspaper columns alleging investors made a fortune at the expense of Italian taxpayers. Boston-based Bain wasn’t a subject of the inquiries, which didn’t result in any charges.

Romney himself probably earned more than $50 million, and possibly as much as $60 million from the Italian directory sale of Seat Pagine Gialle SpA, according to a person familiar with the matter. The deal turned into one of the biggest windfalls of his tenure.

Postby kentington on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Bloomberg: Bain Capital “Ripped Off” Italian Taxpayers When Romney Was CEO

Bain Capital, under Romney as chief executive officer, made about $1 billion in a leveraged buyout 12 years ago that remains controversial in Italy to this day. Bain was part of a group that bought a telephone-directory company from the Italian government and then sold it about two years later, at the peak of the technology bubble, for about 25 times what it paid.

Bain funneled profits through subsidiaries in Luxembourg, a common corporate strategy for avoiding income taxes in other European countries, according to documents reviewed by Bloomberg News. The buyer, Italy’s biggest telephone company, now has a total market value less than what it paid Bain and other investors for the directory business.

In Italy, the deals have spurred at least three books, separate legal and regulatory probes and newspaper columns alleging investors made a fortune at the expense of Italian taxpayers. Boston-based Bain wasn’t a subject of the inquiries, which didn’t result in any charges.

Romney himself probably earned more than $50 million, and possibly as much as $60 million from the Italian directory sale of Seat Pagine Gialle SpA, according to a person familiar with the matter. The deal turned into one of the biggest windfalls of his tenure.

How much of that is illegal?
If I had a chance to sell something for 25 times what I paid for it, then I would sell it.
But the funneling of the money seems like it may be illegal.
Sergeant kentington

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 pm

It was all legal, just highly immoral.

Bain leveraged the government to sell them the company under value, then they used loopholes to funnel the money out of Italy without paying taxes on it. Then they sold the company for it's peak value just before it went bust. It was a huge - though completely legal - swindle on the Italians.

Remember this when some government goofball talks about "privatization."

Postby kentington on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:It was all legal, just highly immoral.

Bain leveraged the government to sell them the company under value, then they used loopholes to funnel the money out of Italy without paying taxes on it. Then they sold the company for it's peak value just before it went bust. It was a huge - though completely legal - swindle on the Italians.

Oh, I thought at least some of that would be illegal.
I don't like Romney or Obama, I don't think either of them will provide a good solution. All they will do is drive more hate between groups of people.
Sergeant kentington

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 pm

It's like the election of 1860. There's really only one rational choice, but no matter who you support you'll be hated for it.

Postby Nola_Lifer on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 am

kentington wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:It was all legal, just highly immoral.

Oh, I thought at least some of that would be illegal.
I don't like Romney or Obama, I don't think either of them will provide a good solution. All they will do is drive more hate between groups of people.

I agree. Neither of them are good choices. I am just very afraid of what would happen if Romney wins.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Mitt Romney's budget plan raises taxes on the average middle class household by $2,000, while lowering taxes on the rich. Let them eat cake indeed.

Postby Night Strike on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:I agree. Neither of them are good choices. I am just very afraid of what would happen if Romney wins.

Why? We've already seen Obama add over $4 trillion in new debt to our country, add roughly 16,000 pages of new regulations, manipulate bankruptcy to reward unions, and completely ignore written laws on immigration and welfare. What would Romney do that's any worse?

Juan_Bottom wrote:Mitt Romney's budget plan raises taxes on the average middle class household by $2,000, while lowering taxes on the rich. Let them eat cake indeed.

Proof?
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Nola_Lifer wrote:I agree. Neither of them are good choices. I am just very afraid of what would happen if Romney wins.

Why? We've already seen Obama add over $4 trillion in new debt to our country, add roughly 16,000 pages of new regulations, manipulate bankruptcy to reward unions, and completely ignore written laws on immigration and welfare. What would Romney do that's any worse?

Juan_Bottom wrote:Mitt Romney's budget plan raises taxes on the average middle class household by $2,000, while lowering taxes on the rich. Let them eat cake indeed.

Proof?

That would be the non-Partisan Tax Policy centre take, no?

There seems to be a Democratic mole inside Mitt Romney’s campaign. Could it be Romney himself? Well, of course not. But considering the campaign’s behavior, it might just as well be. President Obama and his allies have cast Romney as a wealthy fat cat who’s out of touch with everyday Americans and who would use his presidency to enrich the already rich. To counter this damning image, the last thing you’d expect Romney to do is embrace a tax plan favoring the super-rich.

Which is exactly what he has done.

Comments
Weigh InCorrections?

Personal Post
Gallery

Toles draws Mitt Romney: A collection of cartoons about the former Massachusetts governor.
Video

Ann Telnaes animation: Mitt Romney still won’t release more tax returns.

After examining Romney’s proposal, the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center concluded that households with incomes exceeding $200,000 would receive tax cuts; meanwhile, taxes would rise for the other 95 percent of the population. Taxpayers making more than $1 million would receive an average cut of $87,000; those making less than $200,000 would pay an average of $500 more. Romney denies that he would raise taxes on the middle class but has provided no evidence that the Tax Policy Center’s analysis is wrong.

WaPo

You'll find their analysis and the $2000 dollar figure: Here, from the Tax Policy Center.

Is that enough?
Last edited by Symmetry on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:32 am

Night Strike wrote:

Seeing that most president have add debt to our country, that argument holds no weight. I am fine with regulations where they need to be. Workers should receive pay for work they have done even if the company went bankrupt. I would still have to pay student loans if I wasn't making any money. I am not saying Obama is the answer here either, so once again its the old, "Hey, you don't like the right you must be on the left!" complex. If you want to know I voted for Ron Paul last election. He was on the ballot in Louisiana.
Major Nola_Lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,