Rights v Privileges

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Rights v Privileges

Postby AlgyTaylor on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm

/ wrote:For me, the two aren't really directly correlated.

A right is a rule prescribed in one’s favor; I take this word “right” to be identical to the word “right” meaning “correct”. For example if I go on a tour of an orchard and the sign says “You may take one apple”, it is my “right” to do so as it is within the rules set.

A privilege, to me, means a gift, an excess that is given to make things better on a whim. For example if on that same tour I ask if I can take an extra apple for later, and the owners agree, that is a privilege, it doesn’t mean I or anyone else can take two from now on, it simply is a kindness.

Best definition of the two that I've seen. Clear and concise :)
Corporal AlgyTaylor

Postby AlgyTaylor on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:00 pm

AlgyTaylor wrote:Best definition of the two that I've seen. Clear and concise :)

Just to add to this - healthcare is a right in the United Kingdom. However, in some countries it's not considered a right. /'s description covers both situations.
Corporal AlgyTaylor

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 pm

AlgyTaylor wrote:
AlgyTaylor wrote:Best definition of the two that I've seen. Clear and concise :)

Just to add to this - healthcare is a right in the United Kingdom. However, in some countries it's not considered a right. /'s description covers both situations.

Healthcare is considered a right wherever the universal declaration of human rights has been adopted.

Article 25
(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control. (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:A right is something that you do not need permission for. It is self evident
A privilege is something that you have to seek permission from someone or something with more power than yourself. It has to be granted

Evident to which self?

Do not such rights, become more evident throughout time?

Also, you suggest a right is simply dictated by the power of those who control them. I argue, once again, you have no idea what it is to be an American, by even being able to phrase that definition, as such.

I argue, and repeat, a right is something you do not need permission for.

You keep saying this, yet it keeps being demonstrably inaccurate.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby puppydog85 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 pm

A right has historically been understood as something inherently belonging to people. There are different opinions as to where these rights come from (nature, God, ect).
As an example the Declaration of Independence held that certain rights came from God (life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness {ie. property rights}). Rights have been often times the cause of wars and strife.

A privilege is something that is granted to someone by another governing body. Usually, that body has first had those powers granted to them by the populace.
The government (local,state,federal) is often thought of as the largest dispenser of privileges (that is why the power to tax should be very carefully given to the government). People usually scream about privileges being denied them but rarely is popular action taken (your speeding ticket)
Lieutenant puppydog85

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (7)

Postby puppydog85 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Disagreements over what is a right usually will stem from different opinions as to who is the grantor of rights. An evolutionary view of rights vs. fundy Christians vs. Muslims vs. Hindu vs. Communist. You should get the idea.
Lieutenant puppydog85

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (7)

Previous

Return to Babble-On Five