For those who claim to be for freedom...

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: For those who claim to be for freedom...

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:14 pm

...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:34 pm

I am beginning to wonder how long it will be before it becomes commonplace for individuals to be disappeared:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130708/01055723732/doj-says-public-has-no-right-to-know-about-secret-laws-feds-use-to-spy-us.shtml
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:49 pm

http://rt.com/usa/state-secrets-nsa-lawsuit-continue-807/

Ok, so this is a very good thing. And yet...

Let's assume that this makes it to the SCOTUS and PRISM is deemed unconstitutional by them. That means that technically it was always unConstitutional as the Constitution never actually changed.

So what happens when they make a "PRISM 2.0" and just do an even better job of keeping it secret. I mean...what's to stop them from doing it and why shouldn't they?

I guess my point is... there should really be super, insanely fucking severe consequences for someone approving something that is this severely and painfully obviously unConstitutional. Otherwise, it'll just be repeated ad nauseum.

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:10 pm

What is this constitution you speak of? Is it this?

No, I think it is more likely this:

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Woodruff wrote:http://rt.com/usa/state-secrets-nsa-lawsuit-continue-807/

Ok, so this is a very good thing. And yet...

Let's assume that this makes it to the SCOTUS and PRISM is deemed unconstitutional by them. That means that technically it was always unConstitutional as the Constitution never actually changed.

So what happens when they make a "PRISM 2.0" and just do an even better job of keeping it secret. I mean...what's to stop them from doing it and why shouldn't they?

Nothing really. They have their congressional committees which "supervise" those intelligence agencies, so of course it'll work out. People believe that all the time whenever we place a bureaucracy or committee above some sector, so 5-10 years from now, something 'wild and unexpected' will occur.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:What is this constitution you speak of? Is it this?

Dude, that's the Constellation. Get your Star Trek ships straight, man!!!!

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 pm

It was a test, don't worry. You passed. Just checking to see if you were commie or not.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 am

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:26 am

So, what happens when the government continues violating the constitution? (Or rather when people continue to 'redefine' terms within the Constitution?)

Does it really matter? And, over the decades, what were the outcomes?
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Woodruff wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:What is this constitution you speak of? Is it this?

Dude, that's the Constellation. Get your Star Trek ships straight, man!!!!

Looks like the Borg violated the Constellation.

Also - inb4 Jonesy.
Sergeant thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:06 am

It appears from other research that this is an ongoing battle, but that this could even be a possibility casts a new shadow on the NSA data mining, in my opinion:

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/07/11-3

Here's a second article on it: http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/17/judge-chevron-ecuador-2/

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 am

Hey, woodruff. In your opinion, do you find Snowden to be a traitor or whistleblower?
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:38 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:Hey, woodruff. In your opinion, do you find Snowden to be a traitor or whistleblower?

Haven't I been clear in saying I don't think Snowden is necessarily (based on the information we currently know) a traitor? I thought I had.

That being said, someone could be a traitor AND a whistleblower, depending on who they provide particular information to.

I currently consider him to be somewhat of a patriot martyr, actually, awaiting further information. Why do you ask?

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm

The only possibly good about this whole ordeal, is that the dude's name is Snowden. Catch-22 is probably my favorite novel, so every time I come across his name, I think of Snowden from the novel, and Yossarian being traumatized, and Snowden saying he's cold, and Yossarian helpless and in shock saying "There, there. There, there" since nothing else could be done.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:58 pm

Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Hey, woodruff. In your opinion, do you find Snowden to be a traitor or whistleblower?

Haven't I been clear in saying I don't think Snowden is necessarily (based on the information we currently know) a traitor? I thought I had.

That being said, someone could be a traitor AND a whistleblower, depending on who they provide particular information to.

I currently consider him to be somewhat of a patriot martyr, actually, awaiting further information. Why do you ask?

You're the main poster for links related to him, so apparently you take a lot of interest in him.

What do you find patriotic about Snowden?
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:59 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The only possibly good about this whole ordeal, is that the dude's name is Snowden. Catch-22 is probably my favorite novel, so every time I come across his name, I think of Snowden from the novel, and Yossarian being traumatized, and Snowden saying he's cold, and Yossarian helpless and in shock saying "There, there. There, there" since nothing else could be done.

--Andy

Ohh, that's why his name seemed so familiar. It's been years since I've read Catch-22.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 am

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Woodruff wrote:Facebook helping things out:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/24/creepy-facebook/

Tying into the Facebook angle of things, here is a video that I hadn't seen
before (it's an Op-Ed piece, but very interesting):

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 pm

This actually made me laugh out loud. I mean...it seems like such a big "BecauseFuckYou" kind of a response:

http://www.propublica.org/article/nsa-says-it-cant-search-own-emails

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Postby patches70 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Your Glenn Greenwald is going to be testifying soon before Congress about the NSA surveillance program. Along with a libertarian testimony from the Cato institute.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/glenn-gr ... veillance/
Corporal patches70

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Move to Curb NSA Surveillance Program Defeated in House

Close margin too.

Basically, they want to try again to get rid of it, but the US Patriot Act expires on 2015 (so unless they renew certain sections, then that's how it'll be 'defeated'). I figure by then that people will have mostly forgotten about it, so they can quietly renew it.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five