Conquer Club

Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Symmetry on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Oh dear, he shouldn't have said that BEFORE the election:

Todd Akin under pressure to quit as rape comments threaten GOP races

The row began when Akin, in an interview with the St Louis channel KTVI-TV broadcast on Sunday, was asked about his opposition to abortion, even in the case of rape.

"It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," Akin replied. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

Akin won the Republican primary only this month with the backing of Tea Party groups. The Missouri race, against Democratic Senator Clare McCaskill, was seen as one of the most winnable for the Republicans in its bid to take control of the Senate.

Akin is only narrowly ahead in the polls and pollsters predicted his remark is almost certain to lose him a lot of votes, especially among women.

But the row could also have implications for the White House campaign as it has focused attention on an area of sensitivity for Romney: the views on abortion of his running mate Paul Ryan.

In a statement released after Akin's remarks, Romney's campaign team said: "Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr Akin's statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape."
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

But, you can't judge this guy. He only said something stupid. He has not DONE anything stupid, as a Senator.

Therefore, we cannot really tell if he is pro-life or pro-choice.

If you have any questions about this, ask Greekdog
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Phatscotty wrote:But, you can't judge this guy. He only said something stupid. He has not DONE anything stupid, as a Senator.

It's kind of the main point that he's running for a position that would allow him to do what he says that's the problem, no?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Frigidus on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Phatscotty wrote:But, you can't judge this guy. He only said something stupid. He has not DONE anything stupid, as a Senator.

Woosh.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby GreecePwns on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Backpedal? Today the GOP approved to include on their party's platform a no-exceptions ban on abortion.

There's no backpedaling going on here.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby pimpdave on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Pregnant Woman Relieved To Learn Her Rape Was Illegitimate

LITCHFIELD, CT—Though she was initially upset following the brutal sexual assault last month that left her pregnant, victim Martha Byars told reporters she was relieved Sunday to learn from Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) that her ability to conceive her unwanted child proves she was not, in fact, legitimately raped.

“Being violently coerced into having sex was the worst thing that’s ever happened to me, so I take comfort in knowing it wasn’t actually rape,” Byars said of the vicious encounter in which she was accosted in an alleyway by a stranger, pinned to the ground, and penetrated against her will for 25 minutes. “It was absolutely horrific—I felt violated in the worst way imaginable—but thanks to Congressman Akin, I now realize it must, at some level, have been consensual after all.”

“Thank God for that,” Byars added. “I’m so relieved to know that my child’s father, the man who muffled my screams as he forcefully penetrated me over and over and left me hemorrhaging to death on the street, is not a rapist.”

Explaining that the Republican senatorial candidate’s statements had “really opened her eyes” by helping her understand the workings of her own reproductive system, Byars said she only wishes she could have known at the time of her near-fatal assault that the female body has ways to shut down conception during cases of tried-and-true rape.

“Now that I know the truth, I realize none of the telltale signs of legitimate rape were there at all,” mused Byers, noting that her body did not in any way shut down but in fact continued to register excruciating pain throughout the entire cruel ordeal. “I must have at least subconsciously wanted it—otherwise, the sperm wouldn’t have been able to enter my body.”

“Not only is this knowledge a blessing for me,” she continued, “but it will no doubt bring great hope to the tens of thousands of women who are forcibly and savagely impregnated in the United States every year.”

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pregna ... lle,29258/
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Here's the parallel you're looking for: If this guy gets elected and he begins to vote pro-choice (not that there are any pro-life or pro-choice votes anymore), I will take his voting record over his speaking record.

Prior to the election of the president (Obama) I would never have marxing voted for him based on what he said and did. Now, he's a good Republican.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:22 pm

GreecePwns wrote:Backpedal? Today the GOP approved to include on their party's platform a no-exceptions ban on abortion.

There's no backpedaling going on here.

Well, like I said, he wasn't supposed to actually say out loud what they were thinking before the election. He wasn't supposed to talk about the rape stuff.

That's what got him into trouble.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jay_a2j on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Let us not split hairs here. And I wish politicians would stop apologizing when they say what they believe. Now, other than the part about being uncertain if a rape actually occurred or not, which btw is a moot point because abortion IS murder regardless if a rape had occurred or not. He was correct in saying, "the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child".
THE DEBATE IS OVER...
PLAYER57832 wrote:Too many of those who claim they don't believe global warming are really "end-timer" Christians.

JESUS SAVES!!!
Lieutenant jay_a2j

Postby tzor on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Seriously, how can you compare the sun to an asteroid? One is so large and the other is so small. One is dwarfed by the other. Seriously, how can you compare this to the plethora of things that come forth from the mouth of Biden? Oh, that's right, you're a Libtard. Never mind.
Cadet tzor

Postby gradybridges on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm

That's because he hasn't been a Senator yet. Hopefully he'll never get the chance.
Lieutenant gradybridges

Postby Night Strike on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 pm

"Even though Todd Akin's comments were unacceptable, Missourians are smart enough to recognize that what Claire McCaskill has actually done to the country and to Missouri is even more unacceptable and actions will always speak louder than words."
Major Night Strike

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm

the only good kind of rape is raping aborted babies.

wait, is it considered rape if they're dead?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 pm

tzor, NS, and jay in this thread are the three dudes in this comic:
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby jay_a2j on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Perhaps posting a non-blurry version?
THE DEBATE IS OVER...
PLAYER57832 wrote:Too many of those who claim they don't believe global warming are really "end-timer" Christians.

JESUS SAVES!!!
Lieutenant jay_a2j

Postby Night Strike on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Yep, there have been a lot of wrong things done in our history. However, no one's ever allowed to talk about the bad things the progressive moment tried to force on the nation in the early 20th century: eugenics, re-segregation of the military, controlling blacks through birth control, etc.
Major Night Strike

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Google Todd's name with Ryan's - POST RESULTS!

THE WAR ON WOMEN CONTINUES!
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby pimpdave on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Night Strike keeps blaming stuff on progressives that was really done by conservatives. I wonder if he actually believes all the lies he tells?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:42 pm

She's only got 55,000 views. I'm guessing that it's because this song is overly educational.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby heavycola on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:58 am

tzor wrote:Seriously, how can you compare the sun to an asteroid? One is so large and the other is so small. One is dwarfed by the other. Seriously, how can you compare this to the plethora of things that come forth from the mouth of Biden? Oh, that's right, you're a Libtard. Never mind.

This is the worst post ever. It is closely followed, however, by the craziness elsewhere in this thread.

Who cares whether this guy is from the republocrats or the demublicans? That's got nothing to do with anything, as the bipartisan dismissal of his bullshit testifies.

This is about a 65-year old father several times over, and more importantly a congressman in The Greatest Country In The Universe™, who appears to believe that a) some 'rape' isnt really rape at all, and b), even more staggeringly, seems to think that women's reproductive systems can automatically stop working if the sex isn't consensual.

Is that not fucking staggering? It's a 13th century belief: if the woman got pregnant, she must have enjoyed it, therefore it wasn't rape, or whatever they called, it. He may as well have supported the dunking of witches.

And all tzor has to say is - 'yeah but what about this other guy? No? LOL libtards'. Or jay: 'i'm fed up with people apologising for their beliefs'.

Is this a partisan issue too? Does the guy's party membership colour everything he says?

I already know the answer to those questions. You should be disturbed by this man, but instead you post this shite. Conggrats on lowering the bar yet again. It is now so low that the Flatworm Limbo Team have had to admit defeat.
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby tzor on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 am

heavycola wrote:Who cares whether this guy is from the republocrats or the demublicans? That's got nothing to do with anything, as the bipartisan dismissal of his bullshit testifies.

Because it has EVERYTHING to do with Republicans and Democrats. Because people pick nits on Republicans and the most insane comments by Democrats get ignored. What he said was stupid as shit. Because he is a Republican (and no other reason) he is being asked to step down from the race. If he were a Democrat this would never have been covered by the mainstream media in the first place.

And this "WAR ON WOMEN" is equal bullshit. It's as moronic as the notion that the Republican Party is somehow anti African American. (Do you realize that major Democrats of old were members in good standing in the KKK?) The real war on woman is being waged in the White House.

Name the Vice President who got condemned for life for an alternate spelling of potato? What party was he?

How many worse mistakes has Biden made? What party is he in?

So, again, I point out. If he was a Democrat not even Fox News would be covering this story.

And finally I will end with ^^^^^^^^ LOOK UP ^^^^^^^^^ What is the thread title? "Republicans!" Republicans rejected the statement from minute one. The guy himself even said it was a stupid statement and wrong. But the entire party is brushed with the one statement.

Based on this logic, Democrats should commit suicide immediately because of everything Biden has said. Not that I would suggest you follow logic, because Democrats generally don't.
Cadet tzor

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 am

heavycola wrote:
tzor wrote:Seriously, how can you compare the sun to an asteroid? One is so large and the other is so small. One is dwarfed by the other. Seriously, how can you compare this to the plethora of things that come forth from the mouth of Biden? Oh, that's right, you're a Libtard. Never mind.

This is the worst post ever. It is closely followed, however, by the craziness elsewhere in this thread.

Who cares whether this guy is from the republocrats or the demublicans? That's got nothing to do with anything, as the bipartisan dismissal of his bullshit testifies.

This is about a 65-year old father several times over, and more importantly a congressman in The Greatest Country In The Universe™, who appears to believe that a) some 'rape' isnt really rape at all, and b), even more staggeringly, seems to think that women's reproductive systems can automatically stop working if the sex isn't consensual.

Is that not fucking staggering? It's a 13th century belief: if the woman got pregnant, she must have enjoyed it, therefore it wasn't rape, or whatever they called, it. He may as well have supported the dunking of witches.

And all tzor has to say is - 'yeah but what about this other guy? No? LOL libtards'. Or jay: 'i'm fed up with people apologising for their beliefs'.

Is this a partisan issue too? Does the guy's party membership colour everything he says?

I already know the answer to those questions. You should be disturbed by this man, but instead you post this shite. Conggrats on lowering the bar yet again. It is now so low that the Flatworm Limbo Team have had to admit defeat.

Just a small nit to pick with your post - I'm not sure people in the 13th century believed that a woman "stayed pregnant" only if she wasn't raped. I like to err on the benefit of the doubt, mostly from self-interest - Most 13th century scientific thought was based on the Greeks (who were awesome). Since the Greeks were awesome, the 13th century science must have been awesome, and therefore 13th century "scholars" would never have believed this.

In all seriousness (whatever that means), I'm not sure why people feel the need to defend this dude's statements.

Also in all seriousness (again, whatever that means), since Phatscotty did not disagree with my response to his post on page one, I assume he agrees with me.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby GreecePwns on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 am

Haha, you're defending a guy who says a woman's reproductive system shuts down if she's being raped. That no kids are born from rape. None. Because he's on your precious Red Team.

You guys are fucking unbelievable.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby heavycola on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 am

tzor wrote:
heavycola wrote:Who cares whether this guy is from the republocrats or the demublicans? That's got nothing to do with anything, as the bipartisan dismissal of his bullshit testifies.

Because it has EVERYTHING to do with Republicans and Democrats.

And lets just gloss over the rest of your post, which carries on in this WHOOSH! point-missing manner. I'm english, i don't ultimately give a toss about your weird and fanatical tribalism, and you have said nothing about this moron's claims that women who are 'legitimately' raped will not get pregnant because their bodies will magically stop it happening. Instead, with wearying predictability, you keep banging on as if you and this idiot congressman are victims of some media/liberal witch hunt, or whatever it is. In doing so you prove my point, for which i thank you.

EDIT:
You did admit that what he said was nonsense. That must have been tough.
Last edited by heavycola on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby heavycola on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 am

thegreekdog wrote:Just a small nit to pick with your post - I'm not sure people in the 13th century believed that a woman "stayed pregnant" only if she wasn't raped. I like to err on the benefit of the doubt, mostly from self-interest - Most 13th century scientific thought was based on the Greeks (who were awesome). Since the Greeks were awesome, the 13th century science must have been awesome, and therefore 13th century "scholars" would never have believed this.

A friendly academic pointed me here:
One example of a woman producing a child as evidence of rape in England in 1313 - her attacker was freed because the child proved it was consensual.

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,