Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I would like to return to John's reference to abortion as genocide. While this may be a technically incorrect statement, I think that we all understood what he meant by it.


Words have meaning. Using them improperly simply to get an emotional reaction is a dishonest argument.


True, but if you publicly discount a person's overall reasoning due to a technicality it tends to look like avoidance of the issue at heart.
John directed the conversation in a real thought provoking direction and I thought it was underhanded to, instead of provide a legitimate counter to his legitimate point, attack him for his misuse of a word instead.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I would like to return to John's reference to abortion as genocide. While this may be a technically incorrect statement, I think that we all understood what he meant by it.


Words have meaning. Using them improperly simply to get an emotional reaction is a dishonest argument.


True, but if you publicly discount a person's overall reasoning due to a technicality it tends to look like avoidance of the issue at heart.
John directed the conversation in a real thought provoking direction and I thought it was underhanded to, instead of provide a legitimate counter to his legitimate point, attack him for his misuse of a word instead.


Communication can only happen if we agree on what the words in that communication mean.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby john9blue on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:02 pm

so, woody, instead of using the word "genocide", i could have used the more pleasant-sounding (?) alternative, "mass homicide".

if fetuses are human, then abortion is unquestionably mass homicide. there should be no debate about this.

so tell me, what makes "genocide" worse than "mass homicide"? if i had substituted "mass homicide" for "genocide", which part of my argument would have been changed?

props to funkyterrance for once again calling out the intellectual dishonesty and cowardice of those who disagree with me.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby john9blue on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:06 pm

btw, with regards to those who think those who oppose abortion are "anti-woman":

if you believed that a fetus was human, wouldn't YOU be against killing fetuses, even in cases of rape, despite the fact that you are totally pro-woman and love gender equality?

quit pretending that our position is based on our so-called "misogyny". that's a fucking cop-out. the debate is and always has been about whether a fetus is human and whether killing it is an act of murder... it has NEVER been about trying to find clever ways to punish women because we just hate them so very much :roll:

i suppose i should have expected it from the same people who call anyone who dislikes obama a "racist".

how the hell can you take yourselves seriously... i sometimes wonder how many of you are trolling, as opposed to simply being ignorant or stupid.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:56 pm

john9blue wrote:btw, with regards to those who think those who oppose abortion are "anti-woman":

if you believed that a fetus was human, wouldn't YOU be against killing fetuses, even in cases of rape, despite the fact that you are totally pro-woman and love gender equality?

quit pretending that our position is based on our so-called "misogyny". that's a fucking cop-out. the debate is and always has been about whether a fetus is human and whether killing it is an act of murder... it has NEVER been about trying to find clever ways to punish women because we just hate them so very much :roll:

i suppose i should have expected it from the same people who call anyone who dislikes obama a "racist".

how the hell can you take yourselves seriously... i sometimes wonder how many of you are trolling, as opposed to simply being ignorant or stupid.


Says the guy ignorant of what a fetus is and wants to call abortion murder without considering the ramifications of the charge.

And yes, those who oppose abortion are anti-women. There's simply no justification for, to take an extreme stance, opposing the abortion of an ectopic pregnancy. There will be no child born, and it's highly dangerous for the woman.

I'm sorry if this again troubles your bumper sticker rhetoric, but if you're opposed to abortion in that case, then you're either ignorant or stupid. If you're ok with that kind of abortion, then you don't oppose abortion.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Not exactly.
Is Sperm Human?
When does a cluster of empty cells become a person? When can it theoretically even feel pain?
Is aborting a chimpanzee baby murder because their infant's biology is nearly identical to ours?
Is killing a Chimpanzee Murder?
Will outlawing Abortion do anything to curb abortion?


Is killing a cell cluster with a mutation Murder?



Image


No one in this thread ever even tried to define where the red line of abortion is. This is copy-post 3.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: USA RULES! WHOOO!!!!
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Night Strike on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Symmetry wrote:
john9blue wrote:btw, with regards to those who think those who oppose abortion are "anti-woman":

if you believed that a fetus was human, wouldn't YOU be against killing fetuses, even in cases of rape, despite the fact that you are totally pro-woman and love gender equality?

quit pretending that our position is based on our so-called "misogyny". that's a fucking cop-out. the debate is and always has been about whether a fetus is human and whether killing it is an act of murder... it has NEVER been about trying to find clever ways to punish women because we just hate them so very much :roll:

i suppose i should have expected it from the same people who call anyone who dislikes obama a "racist".

how the hell can you take yourselves seriously... i sometimes wonder how many of you are trolling, as opposed to simply being ignorant or stupid.


Says the guy ignorant of what a fetus is and wants to call abortion murder without considering the ramifications of the charge.

And yes, those who oppose abortion are anti-women. There's simply no justification for, to take an extreme stance, opposing the abortion of an ectopic pregnancy. There will be no child born, and it's highly dangerous for the woman.

I'm sorry if this again troubles your bumper sticker rhetoric, but if you're opposed to abortion in that case, then you're either ignorant or stupid. If you're ok with that kind of abortion, then you don't oppose abortion.


Killing other people is wrong, yet when it comes to self-defense, it's considered justified. There's nothing different between self-defense and an abortion that is for saving the mother's life. That does not mean a person supports abortion any more than supporting self-defense means a person supports going around killing others.
Image
User avatar
Captain Night Strike
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby john9blue on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Symmetry wrote:And yes, those who oppose abortion are anti-women. There's simply no justification for, to take an extreme stance, opposing the abortion of an ectopic pregnancy. There will be no child born, and it's highly dangerous for the woman.


you're right, there isn't. which is why i consider pregnancies that threaten the life of the mother to be the only ones where abortion can be justified.

oh and... sorry about my "misuse" of the queen's english. don't get your panties in a bunch [edit].
Last edited by rdsrds2120 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bigotry
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 pm

john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:And yes, those who oppose abortion are anti-women. There's simply no justification for, to take an extreme stance, opposing the abortion of an ectopic pregnancy. There will be no child born, and it's highly dangerous for the woman.


you're right, there isn't. which is why i consider pregnancies that threaten the life of the mother to be the only ones where abortion can be justified.

oh and... sorry about my "misuse" of the queen's english. don't get your panties in a bunch, britfag.


Charming, how could anyone think you might be hateful of anyone, let alone women.

So anyway- we've established that you don't oppose abortion. You oppose it sometimes, like most people who support abortion.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby GreecePwns on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm

We've been through this before, and I don't think it was address

The burden of proof is on those seeking restrictions to prove that the thing is a human being deserving of the right to life. On top of it, those seeking restrictions on abortions must address the relation between this position and others on other issues which come about by viewing humans as individuals not dependent on a parasitic relationship to continue its "life."

An aside: it's funny how religious thought (which seeks to reward people for their behavior in a later life) and capitalist thought (which seeks to reward people for their behavior in this life) are fused into a single ideology, generic conservatism. Perhaps the capitalists do this using the overtly religious as pawns in their bid for power. I'd like to see whether the richest men in the nation are more or less religious than the national average.
Last edited by GreecePwns on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
User avatar
Corporal GreecePwns
 
Posts: 2654
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Lawn Guy Lint
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby john9blue on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Symmetry wrote:Charming, how could anyone think you might be hateful of anyone, let alone women.

So anyway- we've established that you don't oppose abortion. You oppose it sometimes, like most people who support abortion.


of course. my approach is not idealistic. it's not black and white. the world isn't black and white.

it's simply about choosing which course of action has the most desirable effects. we have rules of thumb to help us out with this, rules like "don't kill another human". if an abortion would cause one death instead of two, then the choice should be obvious.

GreecePwns wrote:We've been through this before, and I don't think it was address

The burden of proof is on those seeking restrictions to prove that the thing is a human being deserving of the right to life. On top of it, those seeking restrictions on abortions must address the relation between this position and others on other issues which come about by viewing humans as individuals not dependent on a parasitic relationship to continue its "life."

Ahh, when you fuse religious thought (which seeks to reward people for their behavior in a later life) and capitalist thought (which seeks to reward people for their behavior in this life), you get plenty of contradictions, don't you?


my opposition to abortion isn't based on religious grounds.

also, what kind of "other issues" are you talking about?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby GreecePwns on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Any issue that regards humans as individual beings, really.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
User avatar
Corporal GreecePwns
 
Posts: 2654
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Lawn Guy Lint
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Night Strike on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 pm

GreecePwns wrote:The burden of proof is on those seeking restrictions to prove that the thing is a human being deserving of the right to life. On top of it, those seeking restrictions on abortions must address the relation between this position and others on other issues which come about by viewing humans as individuals not dependent on a parasitic relationship to continue its "life."


Kind of like how Jews had to prove that they weren't the actual cause of Germany's problems pre-WWII?
Image
User avatar
Captain Night Strike
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 pm

john9blue wrote:
john9blue wrote:don't get your panties in a bunch, britfag.

Symmetry wrote:Charming, how could anyone think you might be hateful of anyone, let alone women.

So anyway- we've established that you don't oppose abortion. You oppose it sometimes, like most people who support abortion.


of course. my approach is not idealistic. it's not black and white. the world isn't black and white.


So where do you place the "britfags"? Is that black or whte? It sort of sounded like there was some venom in the that comment.
Last edited by Symmetry on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby GreecePwns on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Yep, just like that Night Strike. Exactly like that.

Except the Jews were not telling everyone else how to live and restricting their behavior, the Nazis were telling the Jews how to live (or die) and restricting their behavior.

And that this isn't the Holocaust and your comment has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote and is really ridiculous.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
User avatar
Corporal GreecePwns
 
Posts: 2654
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Lawn Guy Lint
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 pm

Night Strike wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:The burden of proof is on those seeking restrictions to prove that the thing is a human being deserving of the right to life. On top of it, those seeking restrictions on abortions must address the relation between this position and others on other issues which come about by viewing humans as individuals not dependent on a parasitic relationship to continue its "life."


Kind of like how Jews had to prove that they weren't the actual cause of Germany's problems pre-WWII?


Ah, the inevitable Holocaust analogy from the right wing, calling abortion essentially the same as anti-Semitism and the Shoah. Of course, very closely linked to the right's attempts to diminish the Holocaust.

After all- if an abortion clinic is just like a death camp, then death camps are no worse than your local hospital, and the Holocaust is mundane.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby tzor on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Woodruff wrote:Words have meaning. Using them improperly simply to get an emotional reaction is a dishonest argument.


Words do have meanings. So given that, yield the floor to someone who says what they mean and means what they say: The Truth About MARGRET SANGER

At a March 1925 international birth control gathering in New York City, a speaker warned of the menace posed by the "black" and "yellow" peril. The man was not a Nazi or Klansman; he was Dr. S. Adolphus Knopf, a member of Margaret Sanger's American Birth Control League (ABCL), which along with other groups eventually became known as Planned Parenthood.

Sanger's other colleagues included avowed and sophisticated racists. One, Lothrop Stoddard, was a Harvard graduate and the author of The Rising Tide of Color against White Supremacy. Stoddard was something of a Nazi enthusiast who described the eugenic practices of the Third Reich as "scientific" and "humanitarian." And Dr. Harry Laughlin, another Sanger associate and board member for her group, spoke of purifying America's human "breeding stock" and purging America's "bad strains." These "strains" included the "shiftless, ignorant, and worthless class of antisocial whites of the South."

Not to be outdone by her followers, Margaret Sanger spoke of sterilizing those she designated as "unfit," a plan she said would be the "salvation of American civilization.: And she also spike of those who were "irresponsible and reckless," among whom she included those " whose religious scruples prevent their exercising control over their numbers." She further contended that "there is no doubt in the minds of all thinking people that the procreation of this group should be stopped." That many Americans of African origin constituted a segment of Sanger considered "unfit" cannot be easily refuted.


So quit with the touchy feely shit Woodruff and stick to logic and facts. Margaret Sanger was a eugenist, one who wanted the unfit races EXTERMINATED. Unlike Hitler, she didn't have an army, so she worked towards that goal indirectly.

Birth control was presented both as an economic betterment vehicle and as a health measure that could lower the incidence of infant mortality. At the 1942 BCFA annual meeting, BCFA Negro Council board member Dr. Dorothy B. Ferebee–a cum laude graduate of Tufts and also president of Alpha Kappa Alpha, the nation's largest black sorority–addressed the delegates regarding Planned Parenthood's minority outreach efforts : With the Negro group some of the most difficult obstacles . . . to overcome are: (1) the concept that when birth control is proposed to them, it is motivated by a clever bit of machination to persuade them to commit race suicide; (2) the so-called "husband rejection" . . . (3) the fact that birth control is confused with abortion, and (4) the belief that is inherently immoral. However, as formidable as these objections may seem, when thrown against the total picture of the awareness on the part of the Negro leaders of the improved condition under Planned Parenthood, or the genuine interest and eagerness of the families themselves to secure the services which will give them a fair chance for health and happiness, the obstacles to the program are greatly outweighed.


In a 1921 article in the Birth Control Review, Sanger wrote, "The most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective." Reviewers of one of her 1919 articles interpreted her objectives as "More children from the fit, less from the unfit." Again, the question of who decides fitness is important, and it was an issue that Sanger only partly addressed. "The undeniably feebleminded should indeed, not only be discouraged but prevented from propagating their kind," she wrote.


Many African American women have been subject to nonconsensual forced sterilization. Some did not even know that they were sterilized until they tried, unsuccessfully, to have children. In 1973, Essence Magazine published an expose of forced sterilization practices in the rural South, where racist physicians felt they were performing a service by sterilizing black women without telling them. While one cannot blame Margaret Sanger for the actions of these physician, one can certainly see why Sanger's words are especially repugnant in a racial context.

The Planned Parenthood Federation of America has been protective of Margaret Sanger's reputation and defensive of allegations that she was a racist. They correctly point out that many of the attacks on Sanger come from anti-choice activists who have an interest in distorting both Sanger's work and that of Planned Parenthood. While it is understandable that Planned Parenthood would be protective of their founder's reputation, it cannot ignore the fact that Sanger edited the Birth Control review from its inception until 1929. Under her leadership, the magazine featured articles that embraced the eugenicist position. If Sanger were as anti-eugenics as Planned Parenthood says she was, she would not have printed as many articles sympathetic to eugenics as she did.
Image
User avatar
Corporal tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 pm

tzor wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Words have meaning. Using them improperly simply to get an emotional reaction is a dishonest argument.


Words do have meanings. So given that, yield the floor to someone who says what they mean and means what they say: The Truth About MARGRET SANGER

show


Yeah, crazy right wing nut jobs ain't really a source- are you seriously reading this stuff?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 am

john9blue wrote:so, woody, instead of using the word "genocide", i could have used the more pleasant-sounding (?) alternative, "mass homicide".


It would at least be closer to the truth, yes.

john9blue wrote:so tell me, what makes "genocide" worse than "mass homicide"?


Usually, the reasons behind them. But I wouldn't want you to have to think too hard about that.

john9blue wrote:props to funkyterrance for once again calling out the intellectual dishonesty and cowardice of those who disagree with me.


It must be so difficult to commend someone for agreeing with you. How impressive.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 am

john9blue wrote:btw, with regards to those who think those who oppose abortion are "anti-woman":
if you believed that a fetus was human, wouldn't YOU be against killing fetuses, even in cases of rape, despite the fact that you are totally pro-woman and love gender equality?
quit pretending that our position is based on our so-called "misogyny". that's a fucking cop-out. the debate is and always has been about whether a fetus is human and whether killing it is an act of murder... it has NEVER been about trying to find clever ways to punish women because we just hate them so very much :roll:


I think for most people, your statements here are true. But I don't think they're necessarily true.

john9blue wrote:i suppose i should have expected it from the same people who call anyone who dislikes obama a "racist".


Prove it, Phatscotty.

john9blue wrote:how the hell can you take yourselves seriously... i sometimes wonder how many of you are trolling, as opposed to simply being ignorant or stupid.


Irony...it's not just a mineral!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:14 am

Night Strike wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:The burden of proof is on those seeking restrictions to prove that the thing is a human being deserving of the right to life. On top of it, those seeking restrictions on abortions must address the relation between this position and others on other issues which come about by viewing humans as individuals not dependent on a parasitic relationship to continue its "life."


Kind of like how Jews had to prove that they weren't the actual cause of Germany's problems pre-WWII?


Non-sequitarianism at it's finest.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:19 am

tzor wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Words have meaning. Using them improperly simply to get an emotional reaction is a dishonest argument.


Words do have meanings. So given that, yield the floor to someone who says what they mean and means what they say: The Truth About MARGRET SANGER


Holy "trying to get an emotional reaction from a dishonest argument", Batman!

First of all, I would seriously question your source. Got anything rational for a source?

But hey, at least you tried to tie abortion to one crazy racist from the 1920s, in an attempt to tie the abortion movement of today to such things...well done!

tzor wrote:So quit with the touchy feely shit Woodruff and stick to logic and facts. Margaret Sanger was a eugenist, one who wanted the unfit races EXTERMINATED. Unlike Hitler, she didn't have an army, so she worked towards that goal indirectly.


So is it actually your position that if there is one individual within a movement's history, then that movement is clearly wrong? I suspect that's not a position you want to stick to...but I'll let you answer that.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 am

GreecePwns wrote:We've been through this before, and I don't think it was address

The burden of proof is on those seeking restrictions to prove that the thing is a human being deserving of the right to life. On top of it, those seeking restrictions on abortions must address the relation between this position and others on other issues which come about by viewing humans as individuals not dependent on a parasitic relationship to continue its "life."

An aside: it's funny how religious thought (which seeks to reward people for their behavior in a later life) and capitalist thought (which seeks to reward people for their behavior in this life) are fused into a single ideology, generic conservatism. Perhaps the capitalists do this using the overtly religious as pawns in their bid for power. I'd like to see whether the richest men in the nation are more or less religious than the national average.



The bogey man, The Capitalist, and his other Capitalist Friends, are out to get you, GP.

Lurking in the shadows is the Capitalist....
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 am

At JB got one thing right this past month: 'fetus/insert whatever technical term Sym desires = human? How so?'
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Legitimate Rape and Abortion- Republicans back-pedal

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:59 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:At JB got one thing right this past month: 'fetus/insert whatever technical term Sym desires = human? How so?'


Ok BBS, would you mind putting down that bottle of scotch, dunking your head in a cold barrel of water and coming back to the computer to re-write that last post?

Tzor, the only problem with your analogy is that it only applies to people who are encouraging abortion of particular races/classes from what I can see? It seems like a sidetrack at best? I mean, don't all classes of people get abortions?
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyDufresne, Phatscotty

Login