<Removed>

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What is the Republican Party?

Postby patches70 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 am

spurgistan wrote:In a related story, Essie Washington-Williams, who we might know as Strom Thurmond's half-black daughter, died this week. She deserved a better father.

Hmmm, Essie Washington-Williams would disagree with you there. Maybe you should read the transcript of her interview on 60 minutes.....

Excerpt-
Essie Mae Williams:
Oh, yes. He was wonderful.

Dan Rather:
He was wonderful.

Essie Mae Williams:
Yes.

Just sayin', you've got your opinion (judgment) that is based on ignorance, which is fine I suppose, but the person who you seem to be sympathetic toward had no such judgment and thought quite the opposite of what you appear to think of him as a father.
Anyway, here is the link to the transcript if you want to have, you know, an actual informed opinion.
I think it's his politics you are against, which is fine, but your statement has to do with him as a father and the interview doesn't support your view at all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/ ... 9107.shtml
Corporal patches70

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby spurgistan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:09 pm

My "ignorance" is mostly based on the fact that, despite having a child with a black woman, he was resoundingly in favor of segregation. I'm not saying she didn't love her father, or that he didn't give her money (less than a bare minimum of what a father should do, particularly for one as wealthy as Thurmond it could have easily been an afterthought) I'm saying she deserved better.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Corporal spurgistan

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 04, 2013 7:39 pm

I have just found out that Lamar Smith, head of the House Science Committee, is a Christian Scientist. Which means that he believes a reliance on conventional medicine should be discouraged and that physician methods should be seen as ineffective because they treat disease as originating in the body rather than the mind.

And this is who the House selected to head the HOUSE SCIENCE COMMITTEE?

Good Lord.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Phatscotty on Sat May 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Why should House Science Committee discriminate against religion? Why the hell would you necrobump this thread?
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Why should House Science Committee discriminate against religion?

They shouldn't, they should discriminate against someone WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN SCIENCE.

Why do you support having someone who doesn't believe in science to be the head of the House Science Committee, Phatscotty?
Last edited by Woodruff on Sat May 04, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Phatscotty on Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 pm

You said yourself, that he is a scientist.

:-s
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Phatscotty wrote:You said yourself, that he is a scientist.

I said no such thing. I'm sorry you're unable to understand that the term "Christian Scientist" does not refer to a Scientist who is a Christian, but it does not. At all, in fact.

Why do you support having someone who doesn't believe in science to be the head of the House Science Committee, Phatscotty?

Postby Phatscotty on Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Woodruff wrote:

I said no such thing. I'm sorry you're unable to understand that the term "Christian Scientist" does not refer to a Scientist who is a Christian, but it does not. At all, in fact.

Woodruff wrote:I have just found out that Lamar Smith, head of the House Science Committee, is a Christian Scientist

I think you just trolled yourself
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Woodruff wrote:I have just found out that Lamar Smith, head of the House Science Committee, is a Christian Scientist

I think you just trolled yourself

Did you even read what you're replying to?

I think you're trying as hard as you can to look like you have some basic point, but in reality you're simply looking like a fool.

Would you like to try to stop looking like a fool, or are you having fun still?

Let me know when you are ready to stop sucking up to the Republican Party long enough to stop wearing your ass for a hat.

Postby Phatscotty on Sat May 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Woodruff wrote:

Then what is the correct term for a scientist who is a Christian?
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Sat May 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Woodruff wrote:I have just found out that Lamar Smith, head of the House Science Committee, is a Christian Scientist. Which means that he believes a reliance on conventional medicine should be discouraged and that physician methods should be seen as ineffective because they treat disease as originating in the body rather than the mind.

And this is who the House selected to head the HOUSE SCIENCE COMMITTEE?

Good Lord.

Aye an Peter King was Chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, despite a history of supporting the IRA, even when it killed US citizens. You'd think supporting terrorist attacks and fundraising for them would rule you out.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Then what is the correct term for a scientist who is a Christian?

If one wants to be clear, they would call them "a scientist who is a Christian". Or even "a Christian who is a scientist". Both would work. It seems fairly obvious.

"Christian Scientist" is pretty specific, IN PARTICULAR in the way I used it.

Are you going to answer my questions, Phatscotty, or are you still afraid of it?

Postby tzor on Sun May 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Then what is the correct term for a scientist who is a Christian?

A really smart person. :P
Corporal 1st Class tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 05, 2013 6:57 pm

So the conservatives here are supportive of the head of the House Science Committee being a "Christian Scientist"?

(Quotes added so dipshits don't misunderstand any more than they do naturally.)

Postby patrickaa317 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Woodruff wrote:So the conservatives here are supportive of the head of the House Science Committee being a "Christian Scientist"?

Just as a a note, some self pro-claimed conservatives don't speak for all conservatives.

With your point of the above, you'd think at this point that someone might even end up appointing someone who evaded taxes to treasury secretary. 8-[
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant 1st Class patrickaa317

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (21)
Tournament Contribution (27) General Contribution (1)

Postby Lootifer on Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 pm

That christian scientist shit is well weird.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Sergeant 1st Class Lootifer

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:So the conservatives here are supportive of the head of the House Science Committee being a "Christian Scientist"?

Just as a a note, some self pro-claimed conservatives don't speak for all conservatives.

Believe me, I do realize that. Thankfully for conservatism, I might add.

patrickaa317 wrote:With your point of the above, you'd think at this point that someone might even end up appointing someone who evaded taxes to treasury secretary. 8-[

Hell yes, that's just as valid of a complaint. Someone else mentioned another good example.

But that doesn't change the fact that, to this point, I haven't seen any conservatives who seem to be unhappy about Lamar Smith being in that position.

Postby Lootifer on Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm

I think there is a fair to say that most internal political appointments are another example failure of [the implementation of] democracy.

I myself get to enjoy an Energy Minister who had spent a grand total of zero days working in the energy industry prior to their appointment.

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Phatscotty on Sun May 05, 2013 10:24 pm

According to top Democratic advisers, the Republican Party is being taken over by Ted Cruz and Rand Paul

Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby patrickaa317 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Lootifer wrote:I think there is a fair to say that most internal political appointments are another example failure of [the implementation of] democracy.

I myself get to enjoy an Energy Minister who had spent a grand total of zero days working in the energy industry prior to their appointment.

That's comparable to having a president that spent 0 days in an executive position prior to starting his presidential campaign.

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (21)

Postby patrickaa317 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Woodruff wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:With your point of the above, you'd think at this point that someone might even end up appointing someone who evaded taxes to treasury secretary. 8-[

Hell yes, that's just as valid of a complaint. Someone else mentioned another good example.

But that doesn't change the fact that, to this point, I haven't seen any conservatives who seem to be unhappy about Lamar Smith being in that position.

I'm unhappy with almost anything that is going on in DC, or even my state gov't now days, and frankly "the chairman of the committee on science, space, & technology" is so far down there that I wouldn't really care who they appointed. It's all irrelevant if we don't stop overspending on social programs, policing the world, leaving our oil in the ground while buying it from people who hate us, etc, etc. I'm personally about as concerned with the chairman for SST as I am the dog catcher of my local precinct.

1) What does the Committee do?

The Science, Space, and Technology Committee has jurisdiction over all non-defense federal scientific research and development (R&D). Federal agencies that fall under the Committee's jurisdiction (either completely or partially) include: National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Department of Energy (DOE), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Science Foundation (NSF), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), U.S. Fire Administration, and U.S. Geological Survey.

I think 3-4 of the above agencies could easily be cut or consolidated together. If the chairman is willing to suggest that, he's got my support all day long. In the very likely event that he doesn't, then it's a moot point and I simply do not care either way.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 am

patrickaa317 wrote:
Lootifer wrote:I think there is a fair to say that most internal political appointments are another example failure of [the implementation of] democracy.

That's comparable to having a president that spent 0 days in an executive position prior to starting his presidential campaign.

One may say, "that's why the president has advisers on matters of war," but of course, that doesn't stop the president from selecting those whose perspectives he enjoys. Given his lack of knowledge on warfare, this may be lead himself to serious shortcomings--thus arises the problem of groupthink, which becomes acceptable given the rules through which the president selects his advisers and cabinet members--especially in exchange of favors.

(E.g. Grouphthink: Lyndon Johnson + McNamara during the Vietnam war, and FDR + The New Dealers. Exchange of favors: Obama choosing Hillary as the sec. of state, in exchange for her partisan support of his presidential candidacy. She was unqualified, yet through political clout gets the job).

Oh, democracy. Let the uninformed believe they're in control and all will be well for those who understand that game of control.
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 06, 2013 12:13 am

Woodruff wrote:

Just wondering: if the claim that person Whoever actually evaded his taxes his true,

then was he punished? If not, why?

(It seems that politicians who can muster the clout can evade any serious consequences to their illegal activities. Furthermore, they can become ideolized by either the electorate or those who put them in power--e.g. the president, or Senate, or whichever political party that has the discretion).
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Lootifer on Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 am

patrickaa317 wrote:

Thats apples and oranges.

One is a specialist decision making role where experience within the industry will assist in your uptake of information as it comes in.

The other is a figurehead leadership role. In which most countries is simply no more than a popularity contest.

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 am

Lootifer wrote:That christian scientist shit is well weird.

They have a church near where I live. I like their bells that ring throughout the day. But that is as close as I have ventured.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five