Showing ID to Vote

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should ya have to show ID when you vote?

Yes
64%
Kinda
7%
IDK
3%
Not Really
5%
No
20%

Total votes : 59

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Symmetry on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:17 am

keiths31 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
keiths31 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:It's nice that you tend towards the more generous interpretation, I tend toward the more cynical. In a thread about the potential disfranchisement of black people, via ID laws, saying that it's so simple to get an ID even a "monkey" can do it, raises a red flag.

You have hit a new low. Out of all your accusations on this board, this one was probably the most absurd.

How so?

Because you took a very common phrase, that people all over the world use on a daily basis, and turned it into a race issue. No one else read into it what you did. No one. So either you are the smartest person on CC, or you are a shit disturber that likes making easy accusations thinking you are serving the better good by pointing out how wrong and racist everyone else is. I lean more to the latter.

It is far to easy to accuse someone of being racist and having them have to defend themselves as to why they aren't. You must really enjoy what you do...

It was a race issue long before I touched it.

I also fixed the spelling mistake in your post.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby keiths31 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 am

Symmetry wrote:

Oh my! Thanks! I had you pegged all wrong! You are the bestest!!!!!
Lieutenant keiths31

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (20)

Postby Symmetry on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:29 am

keiths31 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Oh my! Thanks! I had you pegged all wrong! You are the bestest!!!!!

Happy to help.

Postby Symmetry on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:30 am

Wait, was that sarcasm?

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:55 am

"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Symmetry wrote:It's nice that you tend towards the more generous interpretation, I tend toward the more cynical. In a thread about the potential disfranchisement of black people, via ID laws, saying that it's so simple to get an ID even a "monkey" can do it, raises a red flag.

I understand what you're getting at, I suppose...but I just totally don't see it, in this particular case.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:This is the second time in two weeks that you've called someone a racist or bigot for something that was neither racist or bigoted. What the f*ck is wrong with you?

He's a Leftist.

Every single issue is first filtered through race/gender/class. Everything else is secondary

Are you trying to convince us that you're a Leftist, then?

(I also like how all the conservatives let that go...)
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:47 pm

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... ml?refer=y

election 2012
Minnesota Poll: Passage of Voter ID shows 12-point edge

The Tea Party has majorities in both the House of Representatives and the Senate here, and we have immediately balanced our budget (-6.2 billion) and returned a small surplus. Ron Paul Republicans DOMINATE the Republican Party in Minnesota.

related to another post concerning Minnesota's status as a swing state, since the Democrats have made their opposition to this common sense issue, and since it looks like we are also passing the traditional marriage amendment, there is a good shot Minnesota is no longer a purple state, and may even be an official red state.

Hey, it just happened in Wisconsin!
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Phatscotty wrote:http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/176058561.html?refer=y

election 2012
Minnesota Poll: Passage of Voter ID shows 12-point edge

The Tea Party has majorities in both the House of Representatives and the Senate here, and we have immediately balanced our budget (-6.2 billion) and returned a small surplus. Ron Paul Republicans DOMINATE the Republican Party in Minnesota.

The Republican Party has made it clear that the term "Ron Paul Republicans" is an oxymoron.

Phatscotty wrote:related to another post concerning Minnesota's status as a swing state, since the Democrats have made their opposition to this common sense issue, and since it looks like we are also passing the traditional marriage amendment

I think this is why you won't vote for Gary Johnson. Your religiousity won't allow you to let those damn homosexuals gain anything, amirite?

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Minnesota and 12 other states have made it crystal clear that it isn't, and that the Republicans of yesterday will go the way of the Dinosaurs, and the people have taken matters into their own hands to see that the new breed of Republicans are more Liberty oriented and more fiscally Conservative.

Guess who is going to try to take Amy Klobuchars US senate seat from Minnesota? It's a Ron Paul endorsed Republican, which should be enough to make him a "Ron Paul Republican".

We are going to have some Ron Paul Republicans in the Senate and even more in the House. We beat Republicans in the primaries the way Liberals only dream they could.

BTW, are you seriously mouthpiecing for "The Republican Party"? Lmao! Like a guy who is trying to kick out the Bush Republicans and has done more than mostly anyone to actually change the party on a local level GIVES A FLYING f*ck what "The Republican Party" says...
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Minnesota and 12 other states have made it crystal clear that it isn't, and that the Republicans of yesterday will go the way of the Dinosaurs, and the people have taken matters into their own hands to see that the new breed of Republicans are more Liberty oriented and more fiscally Conservative.

They laughed you out of the Convention.

Phatscotty wrote:BTW, are you seriously mouthpiecing for "The Republican Party"? Lmao!

How could you possibly get that idea from what I've said?

Phatscotty wrote:Like a guy who is trying to kick out the Bush Republicans and has done more than mostly anyone to actually change the party on a local level GIVES A FLYING f*ck what "The Republican Party" says...

They laughed you out of the Convention. And you run back to them like a whipped puppy.

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 pm

How do the poll results feel?

Any comments/interpretations?
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jimboston on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 am

I thought we already all agreed that Voter ID was a good idea?
Private jimboston

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 pm

jimboston wrote:I thought we already all agreed that Voter ID was a good idea?

I certainly didn't, and several courts have struck down voter ID laws recently, or postponed their decisions till after the presidential elections. I'm not sure it's as unanimous as you think it is.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/29/121029fa_fact_mayer

Is an interesting read if you're interested in the other side of the debate.

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Symmetry wrote:

I certainly didn't, and several courts have struck down voter ID laws recently, or postponed their decisions till after the presidential elections. I'm not sure it's as unanimous as you think it is.

Luckily, Symmetry does not have any skin in this game....IE no reason to have an opinion

I bet all the no votes are 90% foreign
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Luckily, Symmetry does not have any skin in this game....IE no reason to have an opinion

You are incorrect, while this has become a US politics dominated thread, the issues involved have long been at play in the UK. British people rioted during the Thatcher years at such an imposition of an effective poll tax- paying for your right to vote.

On the conservative side, and why I find your faux-libertarianism so at odds with your position in this thread, many conservatives oppose the idea of the government collecting so much data on a free citizen for a national ID card needed to exercise the right to vote.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:42 pm

Phatscotty wrote:I bet all the no votes are 90% foreign

It's becoming clear why you like the Republican Party.

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

You are incorrect, while this has become a US politics dominated thread, the issues involved have long been at play in the UK. British people rioted during the Thatcher years at such an imposition of an effective poll tax- paying for your right to vote.

On the conservative side, and why I find your faux-libertarianism so at odds with your position in this thread, many conservatives oppose the idea of the government collecting so much data on a free citizen for a national ID card needed to exercise the right to vote.

but how do people tell who is a citizen when rights reserved only for citizens, such as voting, are being exercized?

Last edited by Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

but how do people tell who is a citizen when rights reserved only for citizens, such as voting, are being exercized?

I would ask a counter question- do you believe that bigger government oversight over citizens is the answer?

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm

let me ask you a counter counter question. Why do you forget this is about voter security and accuracy of a necessary and primary at it's core function of government? You think just because good and smart and common sense government cost any money whatsoever, you can attack it with the large government argument?

Voting is a legitimate function of government, and the people get to decide democratically on a local level how much they want to pay for Voter ID security and efficient election systems. Like I said, we balanced our budget. Which means the Democrat governor has already executive ordered 500 billion dollars for stadiums and parks and water fountains. We are also putting a couple million into protecting peoples right to vote and making it more secure. We are aware of the cost, and also of the projections of money saved....
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Phatscotty wrote:let me ask you a counter counter question. Why do you forget this is about voter security and accuracy of a necessary and primary at it's core function of government? You think just because good and smart and common sense government cost any money whatsoever, you can attack it with the large government argument?

Voting is a legitimate function of government, and the people get to decide democratically on a local level how much they want to pay for Voter ID security and efficient election systems. Like I said, we balanced our budget. Which means the Democrat governor has already executive ordered 500 billion dollars for stadiums and parks and water fountains. We are also putting a couple million into protecting peoples right to vote.

You've founded this argument on a false principle- that voter fraud is a significant problem that needs to be dealt with, and that voter ID would help people vote. I posted above a fairly weighty article outlining the problems with that position.

Now, when you read it, if you want, perhaps you can answer my question:

Do you believe that bigger government oversight over citizens is the answer?

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:let me ask you a counter counter question. Why do you forget this is about voter security and accuracy of a necessary and primary at it's core function of government? You think just because good and smart and common sense government cost any money whatsoever, you can attack it with the large government argument?

Voting is a legitimate function of government, and the people get to decide democratically on a local level how much they want to pay for Voter ID security and efficient election systems. Like I said, we balanced our budget. Which means the Democrat governor has already executive ordered 500 billion dollars for stadiums and parks and water fountains. We are also putting a couple million into protecting peoples right to vote.

You've founded this argument on a false principle- that voter fraud is a significant problem that needs to be dealt with, and that voter ID would help people vote. I posted above a fairly weighty article outlining the problems with that position.

yet more and more instances, from both sides, keep popping up of voter fraud...... and it is a problem in my state. A big problem, and guess who decides how big or small a problem it is? People from my state decide, not some Brit from half way around the world who thinks he knows our issues better than we do.

http://thebrennerbrief.com/2012/10/30/c ... ud-update/

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Three Ohio residents have come forward to confirm on the record their accounts of questionable practices by Democrats to influence voters in Ohio, a crucial swing state in the presidential contest, first reported by Human Events on Oct. 26.

Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

yet more and more instances, from both sides, keep popping up of voter fraud...... and it is a problem in my state. A big problem, and guess who decides how big or small a problem it is? People from my state decide, not some Brit from half way around the world who thinks he knows our issues better than we do.

http://thebrennerbrief.com/2012/10/30/c ... ud-update/

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Three Ohio residents have come forward to confirm on the record their accounts of questionable practices by Democrats to influence voters in Ohio, a crucial swing state in the presidential contest, first reported by Human Events on Oct. 26.

[youtubeMrERV1dPbI4[/youtube]

I answered you fairly, and you come back with this muck? Phatscotty is a troll.

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm

government size is not the issue. voting accuracy is. I reject flat out your attempts to try to make this an issue about the size of government. Gov't will do their primary functions, and yes that costs money. You can't paint me into an Anarchist who wants no gov't

If you really cared about government size, you would be harping about the programs that cost hundreds of billions, not millions, with projections for future savings.

You true motive is to keep alive the only way the Left can win, and that is by cheating at the polls. The Right does it too (EVERYONE DOES IT) but especially the Left, most especially in Minnesota. Only the most hardcore Liberals and Progressives oppose this common sense issue.
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Just checking in. Appears there is still no evidence that a lack of voter identification laws leads to voter fraud. Talk to you guys in a couple of pages.
Sergeant thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five