Showing ID to Vote

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should ya have to show ID when you vote?

Yes
38
64%
Kinda
4
7%
IDK
2
3%
Not Really
3
5%
No
12
20%
 
Total votes : 59

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.


If your argument is that you don't need ID because voting is a right, then the same goes for guns.....right?


Not really, owning a gun as a right is a peculiarity of the US. I don't consider it a right. A right to own something ain't the same as a right to vote, in any case.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote.


Then why are you commenting on issues that have to do with US Constitutional rights? In the US, owning a gun is on an equal level as voting, speaking, following a religion, etc.
Image
User avatar
Captain Night Strike
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 pm

It's good to know Symmetry that your principles only apply to the rights that you think are rights......

How convenient
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.


If your argument is that you don't need ID because voting is a right, then the same goes for guns.....right?


Not really, owning a gun as a right is a peculiarity of the US. I don't consider it a right. A right to own something ain't the same as a right to vote, in any case.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote.


you don't. We are giving ID's away for free, so please stop with the lies.


Who's giving away IDs for free?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby kentington on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.


If your argument is that you don't need ID because voting is a right, then the same goes for guns.....right?


Not really, owning a gun as a right is a peculiarity of the US. I don't consider it a right. A right to own something ain't the same as a right to vote, in any case.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote.


you don't. We are giving ID's away for free, so please stop with the lies.


Who's giving away IDs for free?


That's what I want to know. The guy near me charges 20 bucks each. And they are very questionable, my wife's had a mustache on her picture.
User avatar
Sergeant kentington
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Phatscotty wrote:It's good to know Symmetry that your principles only apply to the rights that you think are rights......

How convenient


Which is exactly why we have a Constitution that is supposed to be adhered to at all times or until specifically amended: so people like Symmetry can't come along and arbitrarily remove rights from people.
Image
User avatar
Captain Night Strike
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.



In order for me to vote, I have to show my drivers license. Since I have to purchase a drivers license or any form of identification with a picture, then I am having to purchase my right to vote from the state--according to Symmetrian logic.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote!


Does my post seem absurd?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:It's good to know Symmetry that your principles only apply to the rights that you think are rights......

How convenient


Which is exactly why we have a Constitution that is supposed to be adhered to at all times or until specifically amended: so people like Symmetry can't come along and arbitrarily remove rights from people.


Or interpreted, of course, and let's face it the right to own a gun is an interpretation of one amendment in the US. Interestingly, back when the Black Panthers were using the 2nd amendment to argue for the right to own guns, the NRA was strongly against all Americans owning guns. Funny that.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:24 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.



In order for me to vote, I have to show my drivers license. Since I have to purchase a drivers license or any form of identification with a picture, then I am having to purchase my right to vote from the state--according to Symmetrian logic.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote!


Does my post seem absurd?


Why should you have to purchase a license to vote?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.


If your argument is that you don't need ID because voting is a right, then the same goes for guns.....right?


Not really, owning a gun as a right is a peculiarity of the US. I don't consider it a right. A right to own something ain't the same as a right to vote, in any case.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote.


you don't. We are giving ID's away for free, so please stop with the lies.


Who's giving away IDs for free?


We are, Minnesota

The question that will be on the ballot in November reads: “Shall the Minnesota Constitution be amended to require all voters to present valid photo identification to vote and to require the state to provide free identification to eligible voters, effective July 1, 2013?”
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.


If your argument is that you don't need ID because voting is a right, then the same goes for guns.....right?


Not really, owning a gun as a right is a peculiarity of the US. I don't consider it a right. A right to own something ain't the same as a right to vote, in any case.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote.


you don't. We are giving ID's away for free, so please stop with the lies.


Who's giving away IDs for free?


We are, Minnesota

The question that will be on the ballot in November reads: “Shall the Minnesota Constitution be amended to require all voters to present valid photo identification to vote and to require the state to provide free identification to eligible voters, effective July 1, 2013?”


Kind of like Wisconsin? Didn't work out too well there.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Symmetry wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.



In order for me to vote, I have to show my drivers license. Since I have to purchase a drivers license or any form of identification with a picture, then I am having to purchase my right to vote from the state--according to Symmetrian logic.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote!


Does my post seem absurd?


Why should you have to purchase a license to vote?


In order to prove I am who I say I am (if I wasn't then why would I say I am)?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 pm

But honestly, you shouldn't have to purchase a license in order to vote.
(but technically, everyone pays some amount and at least a promised service (registration for draft) in order to provide some kind of authentic proof of identity).



Election Day Voting

When you go to the polls to cast your vote in an election, be sure to take one of the following:

a driver's license;
a Louisiana Special ID; or
some other generally recognized picture ID that contains your name and signature.

You may get a free Louisiana Special ID at the Office of Motor Vehicles by showing your voter registration information card. If you have misplaced your voter registration information card, contact your registrar of voters for a new one.

Voters who have no picture ID may bring a utility bill, payroll check or government document that includes their name and address. The voter will have to sign an affidavit furnished by the Elections Division in order to vote.

http://www.sos.la.gov/tabid/151/default.aspx
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Of course there is. Voting is a right. If you have to purchase an ID in order to vote, you're having to purchase your right to vote from the state.



In order for me to vote, I have to show my drivers license. Since I have to purchase a drivers license or any form of identification with a picture, then I am having to purchase my right to vote from the state--according to Symmetrian logic.

You shouldn't have to purchase your vote!


Does my post seem absurd?


Why should you have to purchase a license to vote?


In order to prove I am who I say I am (if I wasn't then why would I say I am)?


And you think you should have to purchase that ability? And carry it whenever you want to exercise a basic right?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:49 pm

In the ideal world, I shouldn't have to pay anything in order to prove my identity! (In the ideal world, I shouldn't have to pay anything to eat, and I should be paid $1,000,000 per year for writing on CC!) But that's being unrealistic because some people lie; therefore, you need to require that proper identification must be shown in order to vote. Otherwise, it would be easy to further corrupt the elections.


Which is why I don't understand the OP because LA already requires you to bring some form of identification in order to vote.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:In the ideal world, I shouldn't have to pay anything in order to prove my identity! (In the ideal world, I shouldn't have to pay anything to eat, and I should be paid $1,000,000 per year for writing on CC!) But that's being unrealistic because some people lie; therefore, you need to require that proper identification must be shown in order to vote. Otherwise, it would be easy to further corrupt the elections.


Which is why I don't understand the OP because LA already requires you to bring some form of identification in order to vote.


How's that working for providing ID to purchase alcohol? I understand that it merely fuels a booming trade in fake IDs. If the problem is that people are voting fraudulently, as you suggest, would they not be able to vote with fraudulent IDs?

What would be next? Registered fingerprints and iris scans?

All for a problem that is largely theoretical.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Symmetry wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:In the ideal world, I shouldn't have to pay anything in order to prove my identity! (In the ideal world, I shouldn't have to pay anything to eat, and I should be paid $1,000,000 per year for writing on CC!) But that's being unrealistic because some people lie; therefore, you need to require that proper identification must be shown in order to vote. Otherwise, it would be easy to further corrupt the elections.


Which is why I don't understand the OP because LA already requires you to bring some form of identification in order to vote.


How's that working for providing ID to purchase alcohol? I understand that it merely fuels a booming trade in fake IDs. If the problem is that people are voting fraudulently, as you suggest, would they not be able to vote with fraudulent IDs?

What would be next? Registered fingerprints and iris scans?

All for a problem that is largely theoretical.



The answer is "good enough" to your question. Now, you do raise some good points, and of course, more could always be done, but ID cards in comparison to iris scanners is a good enough tradeoff given the current outcomes.


:et's examine the empirical data on incidents of voter fraud in LA given its current policies in enforcing the Election Code. Then, we'll use the economic way of thinking on this problem.


Louisiana Voter Fraud
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/L ... vote_fraud

Past incidents of fraud in Louisiana: 1997, "more than 1,400 cases in which two voters used the same Social Security number."
Dead people voting in Louisiana (since 2008): 0.
Incarcerated felons voting in Louisiana (2008): 0

October 14, 2008: "Over 50% of the 8,600 voter registrations turned in by the national group Voting Is Power (which has been associated with ACORN) were incomplete or incorrectly filled out."
"They turned in about 8600 applications, out of that number 1400 new ones, sorted out the new and then we had around 1400 address changes, the rest of them were non existent."
Disenfranchised districts:
Some poll staff were discouraging people from voting.


Etc., it seems that voting in LA has some problems, but it's not rampant. It's "good enough" given the identification policy which is supplemented with other means of enforcement.


Suppose that all laws for requiring identification in order to vote were dropped--which is what you say should happen because voting is a basic right. Would you expect an increase in voter fraud and other forms of cheating?
I would. Why?


Because the price of committing illegal actions would be significantly reduced through the means of voting in person at the ballots. Enforcement through the requirement of voter identification imposes a transaction cost. On the margin, as the price of voting in increased, then fewer and fewer people will commit that crime (because the costs become higher than the benefits of cheating). This price is also influenced by other means of enforcement, like the FBI and other bureaucrats, who level fines and jail time.

Now, of course, people can seek substitutes by finding fake IDs, but that endeavor has to be subsidized by some organization in order to be effective, so you'd need some means for laundering money for such activities. Then, you'd have to find and pay enough willing people (who risk the jail time) to commit fraud. Since this hardly happens, given the current system, then the possible substitute of fake IDs is not too much of concern.

What's more effective is having dead people vote, or sending in votes en masse using fake addresses. And those substitutes go beyond the identification requirements; however, this would not justify dropping the ID requirement because the ID requirement is a relatively cheap means to impose a cost-effective enough price on committing voter fraud at the ballots.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 pm

So, given my above point, I fail to see why specific Voter IDs are worth the costs.

LA already has the maens which deals well enough with voter fraud and other forms of cheating; therefore, a voter ID is not required.

To me, this voter ID seems to be another means for the government to increase its spending, provide more jobs (at the cost of taking more money from people, or by printing it, or borrowing it), etc.

Anyone in favor of voter ID laws--which require a specific Voter ID Card--are... not making sense.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:44 pm

AAFitz wrote:2012-09-07 19:04:22 - AAFitz assaulted Audience - A5 from Audience - A12 and conquered it from Phatscotty


See you in the arena
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:29 pm

jay_a2j wrote:The only people against it are those who want non-citizens the ability to vote! If you are a citizen whats the big deal having to show your ID. VOTER FRAUD is why people are against it! Would Obama have won in 2008 if ID's were required?

There is no RATIONAL reason NOT to have to show ID!

I see, so do you have records on illegal aliens attempting to vote?

or have any idea how much voter fraud there is of any type, overall?

Answer.. its not very much at all!
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:34 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
jay_a2j wrote:The only people against it are those who want non-citizens the ability to vote! If you are a citizen whats the big deal having to show your ID. VOTER FRAUD is why people are against it! Would Obama have won in 2008 if ID's were required?

There is no RATIONAL reason NOT to have to show ID!

I see, so do you have records on illegal aliens attempting to vote?

or have any idea how much voter fraud there is of any type, overall?

Answer.. its not very much at all!


The biggest problem with this issue is that people who come to the answer "not very much at all" are making the biggest and most unsubstantiated guesses of anyone.
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:35 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:So, given my above point, I fail to see why specific Voter IDs are worth the costs.
This is a very good point, though I don't believe any area actually requires specific IDs.


In PA, you just need your driver's license. However, if you don't have a driver license, then you need either an official ID card OR a picture voter ID... and it has to be current. Many people in big cities, along with many elderly just don' thave driver's licenses or current licenses because they don't drive.

In PA, it can be difficult to get an ID. The local office only opens once a week.. and there is always a line. Plus, you do have to pay to get copies of the documents you need for an initial ID card or driver license. And getting those mostly means driving an hour.
BigBallinStalin wrote:LA already has the maens which deals well enough with voter fraud and other To me, this voter ID seems to be another means for the government to increase its spending, provide more jobs (at the cost of taking more money from people, or by printing it, or borrowing it), etc.

No, its more about helping Republicans. Its no cooincidence that its the Republican party pushing for this. Poorer people tend to vote Democratic. The states that are seeing the biggest push are states they hope to turn Republican this year, states like PA.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
jay_a2j wrote:The only people against it are those who want non-citizens the ability to vote! If you are a citizen whats the big deal having to show your ID. VOTER FRAUD is why people are against it! Would Obama have won in 2008 if ID's were required?

There is no RATIONAL reason NOT to have to show ID!

I see, so do you have records on illegal aliens attempting to vote?

or have any idea how much voter fraud there is of any type, overall?

Answer.. its not very much at all!


The biggest problem with this issue is that people who come to the answer "not very much at all" are making the biggest and most unsubstantiated guesses of anyone.

I realize this is hard for you to believe, but there tends to be a LOT of interest in voting results and people who vote. Look at BBS statistics above, just as an example.

Also, the idea that illegal entrants want to put all they have at risk just to case a US vote is pretty arrogant and ridiculous.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:41 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
jay_a2j wrote:The only people against it are those who want non-citizens the ability to vote! If you are a citizen whats the big deal having to show your ID. VOTER FRAUD is why people are against it! Would Obama have won in 2008 if ID's were required?

There is no RATIONAL reason NOT to have to show ID!

I see, so do you have records on illegal aliens attempting to vote?

or have any idea how much voter fraud there is of any type, overall?

Answer.. its not very much at all!


The biggest problem with this issue is that people who come to the answer "not very much at all" are making the biggest and most unsubstantiated guesses of anyone.

I realize this is hard for you to believe, but there tends to be a LOT of interest in voting results and people who vote. Look at BBS statistics above, just as an example.

Also, the idea that illegal entrants want to put all they have at risk just to case a US vote is pretty arrogant and ridiculous.


That's utter nonsense, because as it is right now, they aren't putting anything at risk, because like I said, there is virtually a 100% chance to get away with illegal voting. If ID is not required, how in the hell could you possibly track down the person who voted illegally? YOU NEVER KNEW WHO THEY WERE!!!!! Illegal voting is not a huge stretch for people who are already living here illegally, especially when it's someone promising more benefits, amnesty, etc....


Once voter ID is passed, then people residing here illegally will be risking everything if they try to vote illegally . And that is exactly the way it should be. Common sense

Image
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 pm

So, PS, what exactly is voter ID laws?

Because at least with LA and probably many States, in order to vote, you have to present some form of credible proof of your identity.

So, what's the purpose of this thread? What exactly is your topic?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby jimboston on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Honestly why is there even a debate about this?

You have to show ID to...

1) Buy cigarettes.
2) Buy alcohol.
3) Open a Bank Account.
4) Most other significant financial transaction... like get a Mortgage.
5) Get a Driver's License.
6) If you are pulled over by the Police.
7) Cash a check.
8) Write a check.
9) Cross a border to go to Canada or Mexico.
10) Get on a plane.

There is ABSOLUTELY no good argument AGAINST voted ID requirements... except some BS hypothetical idea that it "disenfranchises" a small portion of the (potentially) voting public. We live in a world that can easily overcome any reasonable objection to getting an ID.

I think that ID's SHOULD be mandatory.

I also think that adults should automatically be registered when they get a license or other ID.
User avatar
Private jimboston
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Boston (Area), Massachusetts; U.S.A.
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login