Conquer Club

The Progressive Movement - A political history lesson

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Progressive Movement - A political history lesson

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Facts mean things. You're talking about how facts are applied, and that's different. They supported my post quite well.

Juan_Bottom wrote:This is a huge part of the reason why Southern States actually get more money back from the Federal Government than they pay in. The South itself is a welfare state. If Conservative programs are so awesome at creating wealth and equality, then you have to ask yourself why the whole Conservative region is one big fail block.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
HapSmo19 wrote:
notyou2 wrote:Is it possible that if you don't earn above a certain threshold gross income, you only pay state tax and not federal tax in America?

Wait,....didn't you just say you wanted a more equal tax rate FOR ALL?

Surely you aren't that stupid.

Everyone pays the same rate? What a noble idea!!!

True Equality, or no equality.

I thought we were done with "separate but equal", but Progressives do believe in it when it comes to tax rates

Meh. Income isn't generated the same way for everyone, so there's no such thing as tax equality.
Besides that, you're the one who believes that states have the right to deny marriage for homosexuals and replace it with civil unions. Separate but equal indeed, and quite hypocritical of you as well.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Facts mean things. You're talking about how facts are applied, and that's different. They supported my post quite well.

Juan_Bottom wrote:This is a huge part of the reason why Southern States actually get more money back from the Federal Government than they pay in. The South itself is a welfare state. If Conservative programs are so awesome at creating wealth and equality, then you have to ask yourself why the whole Conservative region is one big fail block.

It's because all the free-loading liberals go down there to get all that loot. That's what the facts support.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Facts mean things. You're talking about how facts are applied, and that's different. They supported my post quite well.

It's because all the free-loading liberals go down there to get all that loot. That's what the facts support.

SOURCE!
Major Phatscotty

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 pm

thegreekdog wrote:

Ohhhh

Postby Night Strike on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:49 am

Because the federal government sets arbitrary lines of what is poverty, among other things. A person in nearly all of the conservative/red states can get by on less than $30,000 per year, while that money probably can't even pay rent in a micro-apartment in many liberal areas. Yet both people would be labeled as being just above poverty in both areas because of the federal government's one-size-fits-all policies.
Major Night Strike

Postby patches70 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:40 am

"if you torture statistics long enough they will eventually confess."
Private patches70

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 am

Night Strike wrote:

Because the federal government sets arbitrary lines of what is poverty, among other things. A person in nearly all of the conservative/red states can get by on less than $30,000 per year, while that money probably can't even pay rent in a micro-apartment in many liberal areas.

Oh, bullshit. I lived in freaking Mississippi for five years, one of the most poverty-stricken areas in the United States. The poverty there is real, Night Strike...very real.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:37 pm

thegreekdog wrote:

Sounds like someone who has never spent much time in the south.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Night Strike wrote:

Because the federal government sets arbitrary lines of what is poverty, among other things. A person in nearly all of the conservative/red states can get by on less than $30,000 per year, while that money probably can't even pay rent in a micro-apartment in many liberal areas. Yet both people would be labeled as being just above poverty in both areas because of the federal government's one-size-fits-all policies.

It would be really nice if you actually did a bit of investigating before throwing out such claims.

According to you any big city is "liberal" and rural areas are not, but the truth is very, very different. And... as Woodruff says, poverty is very real. Its also quite real where I live now, all over northwestern PA. AND.... it was real out in CA, and in several other states where I have lived. About the only place where you could honestly say only deadbeats went hungry was in Alaska.. and that was not in Anchorage or Fairbanks, either. Out in the small towns, you could still fish, collect berries, etc, etc, etc. Here, even living right on the woods, even being a skilled hunter (NOT me, of course ;) ), its not all that easy... the fish are full of toxins, geese and ducks require special stamps and gear. Berries are getting bulldozed by gas drillers....
About 80% of our elementary school kids are eligible for reduced or free school lunches, but most of those have at least one parent who works at least part-time.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:16 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Sounds like someone who has never spent much time in the south.

The facts that Juan provided support my post quite well.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Democrat, not that it matters. Just cool that he did it.

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 pm

notyou2 wrote:Just because many liberals favour social programs does not necessarily mean they are out for a free ride. The majority of them work and know that their taxes would help pay for those social programs. They are simply in favour of a more equal tax rate FOR ALL and they support many social programs. You guys keep stating that all liberal people want a free ride. Most liberals realize that if the US did not start wars, the poor and the hungry would be non-existent in America.

Of course that is true, well the first part anyways. If only a majority of them could also understand better that first we need to make the money before we can spend the money. And I have a serious problem with their definition of an "equal tax rate".

To me, an "equal tax rate" means everyone is treated equally...IE, the exact same rate. It's 100% fair and 100% equal.

No special groups or special penalties or special benefits ........no discrimination.

Only equality
Major Phatscotty

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:57 am

Phatscotty wrote:
notyou2 wrote:Just because many liberals favour social programs does not necessarily mean they are out for a free ride. The majority of them work and know that their taxes would help pay for those social programs. They are simply in favour of a more equal tax rate FOR ALL and they support many social programs. You guys keep stating that all liberal people want a free ride. Most liberals realize that if the US did not start wars, the poor and the hungry would be non-existent in America.

Of course that is true, well the first part anyways. If only a majority of them could also understand better that first we need to make the money before we can spend the money. And I have a serious problem with their definition of an "equal tax rate".

To me, an "equal tax rate" means everyone is treated equally...IE, the exact same rate. It's 100% fair and 100% equal.

No special groups or special penalties or special benefits ........no discrimination.

Only equality

As soon as all INCOME is equal. Except, that would truly be disasterous. Equal taxation is disasterous for related reasons.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:Image

Juan just keeps posting stuff that supports my post! Thanks Juan!

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 am

thegreekdog wrote:

Sort of the way statistic "prove" that beds are the most dangerous places to be.. yeah.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 pm

I only posted that picture to see if he would say what he said.

thegreekdog has fallen pretty far.

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:I only posted that picture to see if he would say what he said.

thegreekdog has fallen pretty far.

It is always more productive to lower myself to those I debate with. If you won't acknowledge that the data you keep posting does not support your point, then I will continue to make similarly ridiculous points with the data you post. For the fourth time, if 100% of the people in South Carolina voted and 100% of those voters voted Republican, your data would support your point. Until you provide that data, the data does not support your point.

If you continue to not understand that, then... well... poor people are moving to southern states... and that's my final answer.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Truthfully I'm not debating with you. Pretty much all of the time I ignore you. The one time I didn't, in that discussion over Dem's and Repub's platforms, all your facts were out-of-date and then you quite and blamed it on me for not being in touch with 6 month old expired policies or whatever. I suspect that the real reasons you quit were that you don't know how to admit when you don't know what you're talking about to someone that you don't like, and that the discussion was huge. For me, I already knew it all and just had to get some links to double check my stats and stuff, but for someone who doesn't know a lot about politics it's hard to keep up to season to season. So why you talking at me if in the end you'll always quit the "debate" anyway? I just think you can't ignore me back. Why waste my time and yours?

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Truthfully I'm not debating with you. Pretty much all of the time I ignore you. The one time I didn't, in that discussion over Dem's and Repub's platforms, all your facts were out-of-date and then you quite and blamed it on me for not being in touch with 6 month old expired policies or whatever. I suspect that the real reasons you quit were that you don't know how to admit when you don't know what you're talking about to someone that you don't like, and that the discussion was huge. For me, I already knew it all and just had to get some links to double check my stats and stuff, but for someone who doesn't know a lot about politics it's hard to keep up to season to season. So why you talking at me if in the end you'll always quit the "debate" anyway? I just think you can't ignore me back. Why waste my time and yours?

Yeah, "debate" wasn't the right word since you're providing virtually nothing in the realm of substance or critical analysis. And hey, I like you fine. You seem like a pretty funny guy. And it's cool that you've taken up pimpdave's mantle and have less of a tongue-in-cheek attitude, what with your awesome charts, graphs and colorful pictures. But yeah, I can't ignore you. I get some enjoyment out of using this forum to post stuff that seems important. These last few posts right here are a good example. So it's not really a waste of time for me. If you feel like I'm wasting your time, by all means ignore my posts. I won't be offended.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:26 am

Come join the Cool Kids Club, TGD. It's where everyone is a winner when JB has explicitly chosen to ignore them.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:39 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Sort of the way statistic "prove" that beds are the most dangerous places to be.. yeah.

I clearly need to start living more dangerously. Naps, ahoy!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:42 am

Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

I clearly need to start living more dangerously. Naps, ahoy!

:lol:
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Night Strike on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:25 pm

PARSIPPANY, NJ (PIX11)—

Hungry Jersey Kids Boycott Obama's New School Lunch Rules Saying, "We're Hungry!"

Two Parsippany Hills High School students organized a brown bag protest over new federal school lunch rules giving them less food for more money.

"It used to be $2.25, now it's almost $4.00," lamented Ron Rothschild.

Chris Shargay, a freshman at Parsippany Hills High says his family has opted to bring lunch after the price hike, "It's just so much cheaper to get cold cuts on Sunday night and bring them for the week."

Senior Troy Fyfe agreed. "I'm just gonna bring brown paper bag lunches. It's too much."

Students proudly presented empty lunch boxes as school let out, all part of the protest by some 1,200 kids over the new "Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act," signed by President Obama , which mandates smaller portion sizes with a bigger price tag attached to help drive down obesity.

Brandon Faris, a senior said their point was simple. "We want the price of the lunch to go down if the portion is going to go down."

Faris and Nick Caccavale, the organizers behind the brown bag it protest aren't alone. A parody video on YouTube "We are Hungry", with nearly 700,000 hits, shows how kids say they're now calorie deprived and not getting enough food to fuel their demanding days.

But a minority of students decried the move, saying it only hurts those who depend upon serving kids to make a living.

"I don't think these lunch ladies should lose their jobs. One of them came up to us and said we might lose our jobs if this continues," pointe Dannica Burchartz, a senior who was one of only a handful of students to buy her lunch today.

But the PTSA president quickly pointed out the rules are set by the Federal Government, and failure to follow them could mean students who get federally funded lunch might lose their subsidy.

Mom Sandy Giercyzk explained how the district here has its hands tied when it comes to the way they feed the students, "We are federally mandated on the size of the portion and what we can charge. Parsippany is actually under the amount of what we are allowed to charge and we are required every year to raise our price by federal mandate."

And what about the food service company that supplies Parsippany Hills and some 80 other schools with their lunch fixings? Are they making a fatter profit by complying be federal rules to help slim down the nation's school kids? Not at all.

"The school district is actually seeing a drop in participation in response to the smaller portions. And they are meant to be self-sustaining, in that whatever money is left over after paying for the food goes back into funding other programs within the school district," explained Mark Vidovich, the President of the Pomptonian Food Service Group.

All the leftover food was donated to a local charity.

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-high-school-students-strike-over-expensive-smaller-lunches-20120928,0,5590826.story
Major Night Strike

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,