When do you admit to being wrong?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

When?

Always, even if know I'm right
0
No votes
Quite often
10
34%
A couple times a month usually
5
17%
A few times a year
1
3%
I can't remember that far back
0
No votes
Only when it's inconvenient to argue
4
14%
Only under threat of being physically beaten
1
3%
I will argue to the death even if wrong
0
No votes
I am never wrong
3
10%
Kittens never admit they are wrong (but they feel so right)
5
17%
 
Total votes : 29

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby john9blue on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:30 pm

being entirely honest:

i will frequently admit to myself that i am wrong, and attempt to correct my own miconceptions. however, i will almost never admit to other people that i am wrong, because most other people are wrong far more often than i am, and they do not deserve to have the right to judge me for being wrong.

i think that a lot of people act in a similar fashion.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby chang50 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 am

john9blue wrote:being entirely honest:

i will frequently admit to myself that i am wrong, and attempt to correct my own miconceptions. however, i will almost never admit to other people that i am wrong, because most other people are wrong far more often than i am, and they do not deserve to have the right to judge me for being wrong.

i think that a lot of people act in a similar fashion.


I think you are correct that most people act this way,but wouldn't things be a whole lot better if they didn't?
User avatar
Lieutenant chang50
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Gillipig on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 am

When it's been proven beyond doubt. Example, I claim an average apple weighs 300 grams, someone pulls up reliable sources that claim otherwise. Then I'm wrong.
It does happen every once in a while. But rarely on this site. People here are mostly arguing over subjective things.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3034
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Only when politicians do.
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11245
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 pm

...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:For the record, I've never heard Woodruff admit he was wrong. If cornered, he resorts to either redirecting the conversation or lashing out.


Eat it, bitch (this isn't even close to an exhaustive search):
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128387&p=2815913&hilit=mistake#p2815913
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88440&p=2056340&hilit=mistake#p2056340
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174761&p=3820159&hilit=mistake#p3820159
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174431&p=3812408&hilit=mistake#p3812408
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177416&p=3908986&hilit=mistake#p3908986
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=82967&p=1969467&hilit=mistake#p1969467
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121462&p=2678383&hilit=mistake#p2678383
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114367&p=2545658&hilit=mistake#p2545658
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114332&p=2539502&hilit=mistake#p2539502
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108610&p=2518471&hilit=mistake#p2518471
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=495&t=89466&p=2071208&hilit=mistake#p2071208
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82952&p=1982737&hilit=mistaken#p1982737
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116246&p=2570874&hilit=mistake#p2570874


Why woodruff, I should wash your filthy mouth out with soap!

To be accurate the links provided seem to be examples of you admitting to making mistakes, not being wrong. Being one who delights in arguing semantics you should be able to appreciate this distinction. Looks like its you who gets to "eat it" this time. O:)

Show me some examples of you admitting that you were seeing an issue solely from your own side, talking out of your ass and were proven wrong, end of discussion. If you can do this,you may find me admitting to being wrong about you. Until then, I stand by my judgement.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:For the record, I've never heard Woodruff admit he was wrong. If cornered, he resorts to either redirecting the conversation or lashing out.


Eat it, bitch (this isn't even close to an exhaustive search):
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128387&p=2815913&hilit=mistake#p2815913
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88440&p=2056340&hilit=mistake#p2056340
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174761&p=3820159&hilit=mistake#p3820159
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174431&p=3812408&hilit=mistake#p3812408
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177416&p=3908986&hilit=mistake#p3908986
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=82967&p=1969467&hilit=mistake#p1969467
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121462&p=2678383&hilit=mistake#p2678383
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114367&p=2545658&hilit=mistake#p2545658
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114332&p=2539502&hilit=mistake#p2539502
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108610&p=2518471&hilit=mistake#p2518471
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=495&t=89466&p=2071208&hilit=mistake#p2071208
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82952&p=1982737&hilit=mistaken#p1982737
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116246&p=2570874&hilit=mistake#p2570874


Why woodruff, I should wash your filthy mouth out with soap!
To be accurate the links provided seem to be examples of you admitting to making mistakes, not being wrong.


Uh...what? That may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Funkyterrance wrote:Show me some examples of you admitting that you were seeing an issue solely from your own side, talking out of your ass and were proven wrong, end of discussion. If you can do this,you may find me admitting to being wrong about you. Until then, I stand by my judgement.


I'll just go ahead and point you to fadedpsychosis' point about you and be done with it. I've proven my point...you obviously can't say the same about yourself.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby john9blue on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 pm

the results you provided represented about 1% of the total amount of times that you've been wrong on this forum.

this thread is about the percentage of the time that people admit to being wrong.

even a great number of admissions doesn't mean much when one is wrong as frequently as you are, oftentimes undebatably.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 pm

john9blue wrote:the results you provided represented about 1% of the total amount of times that you've been wrong on this forum.


And of COURSE you can provide these multitudes of quotes, right?

john9blue wrote:this thread is about the percentage of the time that people admit to being wrong.


It is? The poll certainly doesn't reflect that, nor does the OP. Do ANY posts in the thread reflect that?

john9blue wrote:even a great number of admissions doesn't mean much when one is wrong as frequently as you are, oftentimes undebatably.


And of COURSE you can provide these multitudes of quotes, right?
Last edited by Woodruff on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Uh...what? That may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.


Boom, the Ad Hominem. You realize its the equivalent of shooting blanks right?

Woodruff wrote: I'll just go ahead and point you to fadedpsychosis' point about you and be done with it. I've proven my point...you obviously can't say the same about yourself.


No need to stand on faded's shoulders woodruff, you can try to do this on your own, you're a big boy right? I'm not entirely convinced you even grasped faded's point considering your vagueness up above so I would like to hear it in your own words if that's not too much trouble?
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Uh...what? That may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.


Boom, the Ad Hominem.


I'm starting to see a lot of similarities between you and Phatscotty. Are you going to start claiming that you're foeing me next?

Funkyterrance wrote:You realize its the equivalent of shooting blanks right?


It was an incredibly stupid thing for you to say. In fact, editing it out of the quotes was a smart move on your part...you should hope that everyone forgets that you said it.

Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote: I'll just go ahead and point you to fadedpsychosis' point about you and be done with it. I've proven my point...you obviously can't say the same about yourself.


No need to stand on faded's shoulders woodruff, you can try to do this on your own, you're a big boy right? I'm not entirely convinced you even grasped faded's point considering your vagueness up above so I would like to hear it in your own words if that's not too much trouble?


I'm not standing on his shoulders, I'm agreeing with his point. You're a hypocrite.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 pm

More Ad Hominem attacks added to the stack aren't going to strengthen your position bro, they decidedly weaken it. If anyone wants to see what I wrote its right there, I don't need to hide it. I just don't nest tons of quotes for consideration of the reader. Even the accusation of calling me a hypocrite is an Ad Hominem attack if you provide no evidence lol.
Is comparing me to Phatscotty(another Ad Hominem attack) supposed to make me feel a certain way? It doesn't. You've managed to cram an amazing number of these hollow assaults into quite a few of your posts. If you continue to use such weak tactics I may do just what Phatscotty did. Can you blame me?
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby john9blue on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:the results you provided represented about 1% of the total amount of times that you've been wrong on this forum.


And of COURSE you can provide these multitudes of quotes, right?

john9blue wrote:this thread is about the percentage of the time that people admit to being wrong.


It is? The poll certainly doesn't reflect that, nor does the OP. Do ANY posts in the thread reflect that?

john9blue wrote:even a great number of admissions doesn't mean much when one is wrong as frequently as you are, oftentimes undebatably.


And of COURSE you can provide these multitudes of quotes, right?


why would i waste my time providing evidence for you? most people on this forum already have their own opinion about how honest and humble you are. i was just sharing mine.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
/ wrote:I'm always willing to reconsider my facts and opinions when challenged, I will typically look up any new conflicting information and apologize for inconsistency. Though at times this makes me a bit flippant or arbitrary.

Under what circumstances do you honestly consider being wrong?


Here's my view of things:

First of all, I will always believe that I'm right initially. After all, if I don't think I'm right...then why do I hold that opinion? However, I am open to hearing new information that may change my view that I'm right. In fact, that seems like a natural function of interacting with other people and other things, and a thing that should happen not just on a daily basis but on a moment-to-moment basis.


I voted a couple of times a month.
I will admit I'm wrong when someone steps up with some good old common sense in a more or less civilized manner. I can quote instances on these here forums where I have openly admitted to being wrong.
For the record, I've never heard Woodruff admit he was wrong. If cornered, he resorts to either redirecting the conversation or lashing out.


This thread is fucking awesome
Image
Last edited by Phatscotty on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Uh...what? That may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.


Boom, the Ad Hominem.


I'm starting to see a lot of similarities between you and Phatscotty. Are you going to start claiming that you're foeing me next?


Slowly but surely, more and more people look like PS in the eyes of Woodruff.


Aristotle once mentioned that we need friends (loosely defined) in order to discover if we are being good, because their responses to our actions reflect one's self.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Login