When do you admit to being wrong?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

When?

Always, even if know I'm right
0
No votes
Quite often
10
34%
A couple times a month usually
5
17%
A few times a year
1
3%
I can't remember that far back
0
No votes
Only when it's inconvenient to argue
4
14%
Only under threat of being physically beaten
1
3%
I will argue to the death even if wrong
0
No votes
I am never wrong
3
10%
Kittens never admit they are wrong (but they feel so right)
5
17%
 
Total votes : 29

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:35 am

I hate to mar the serenity of that last post but can we please lock this thread right here and witness "the perfect ending"? I will gladly delete this post if my wish is granted.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I hate to mar the serenity of that last post but can we please lock this thread right here and witness "the perfect ending"? I will gladly delete this post if my wish is granted.

ah, if only I could do that in real life, freeze time before I stick my foot in my mouth... alas, for I was seemingly born with foot-in-mouth disease...

aaanyway, I'm not quite sure how my name got drug into this but ok, I'm game
for starters: funky, you're being a little too broad with the term 'ad hominem'.
from dictionary.com
1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.
basically my problem with your usage is this: attacks on ones character are not ad hominem when they are not used in lieu of a proper response to an argument... it's just mudslinging at that point

again as to hypocracy: about half the times in this thread (rounding down because I'm attempting to be neutral) you accuse woodruff of ad hominem (not a few times incorrectly) you then deride his character instead of countering his claim: the very definition of ad hominem

lastly
Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:For the record, I've never heard Woodruff admit he was wrong. If cornered, he resorts to either redirecting the conversation or lashing out.


Eat it, bitch (this isn't even close to an exhaustive search):
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128387&p=2815913&hilit=mistake#p2815913
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88440&p=2056340&hilit=mistake#p2056340
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174761&p=3820159&hilit=mistake#p3820159
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174431&p=3812408&hilit=mistake#p3812408
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177416&p=3908986&hilit=mistake#p3908986
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=82967&p=1969467&hilit=mistake#p1969467
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121462&p=2678383&hilit=mistake#p2678383
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114367&p=2545658&hilit=mistake#p2545658
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114332&p=2539502&hilit=mistake#p2539502
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108610&p=2518471&hilit=mistake#p2518471
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=495&t=89466&p=2071208&hilit=mistake#p2071208
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82952&p=1982737&hilit=mistaken#p1982737
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116246&p=2570874&hilit=mistake#p2570874


Why woodruff, I should wash your filthy mouth out with soap!

To be accurate the links provided seem to be examples of you admitting to making mistakes, not being wrong. Being one who delights in arguing semantics you should be able to appreciate this distinction. Looks like its you who gets to "eat it" this time. O:)

Show me some examples of you admitting that you were seeing an issue solely from your own side, talking out of your ass and were proven wrong, end of discussion. If you can do this,you may find me admitting to being wrong about you. Until then, I stand by my judgement.

this isn't semantics, it's sophistry... he specifically went out of his way to prove he was mistaken... I challenge you to do the same
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Gillipig on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:52 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:this isn't semantics, it's sophistry... he specifically went out of his way to prove he was mistaken... I challenge you to do the same


Let me get this right....He went out of his way to prove that he was wrong, in order to show that funky was wrong about him never admitting to be wrong ...................................................................It's too early in the day for this kind of shit!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:12 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I hate to mar the serenity of that last post but can we please lock this thread right here and witness "the perfect ending"? I will gladly delete this post if my wish is granted.

ah, if only I could do that in real life, freeze time before I stick my foot in my mouth... alas, for I was seemingly born with foot-in-mouth disease...

aaanyway, I'm not quite sure how my name got drug into this but ok, I'm game
for starters: funky, you're being a little too broad with the term 'ad hominem'.
from dictionary.com
1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.
basically my problem with your usage is this: attacks on ones character are not ad hominem when they are not used in lieu of a proper response to an argument... it's just mudslinging at that point

again as to hypocracy: about half the times in this thread (rounding down because I'm attempting to be neutral) you accuse woodruff of ad hominem (not a few times incorrectly) you then deride his character instead of countering his claim: the very definition of ad hominem

lastly
Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:For the record, I've never heard Woodruff admit he was wrong. If cornered, he resorts to either redirecting the conversation or lashing out.


Eat it, bitch (this isn't even close to an exhaustive search):
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128387&p=2815913&hilit=mistake#p2815913
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88440&p=2056340&hilit=mistake#p2056340
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174761&p=3820159&hilit=mistake#p3820159
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174431&p=3812408&hilit=mistake#p3812408
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177416&p=3908986&hilit=mistake#p3908986
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=82967&p=1969467&hilit=mistake#p1969467
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121462&p=2678383&hilit=mistake#p2678383
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114367&p=2545658&hilit=mistake#p2545658
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114332&p=2539502&hilit=mistake#p2539502
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108610&p=2518471&hilit=mistake#p2518471
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=495&t=89466&p=2071208&hilit=mistake#p2071208
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82952&p=1982737&hilit=mistaken#p1982737
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116246&p=2570874&hilit=mistake#p2570874


Why woodruff, I should wash your filthy mouth out with soap!

To be accurate the links provided seem to be examples of you admitting to making mistakes, not being wrong. Being one who delights in arguing semantics you should be able to appreciate this distinction. Looks like its you who gets to "eat it" this time. O:)

Show me some examples of you admitting that you were seeing an issue solely from your own side, talking out of your ass and were proven wrong, end of discussion. If you can do this,you may find me admitting to being wrong about you. Until then, I stand by my judgement.

this isn't semantics, it's sophistry... he specifically went out of his way to prove he was mistaken... I challenge you to do the same


I think it possible the hominem accusations might have been coming partially from his posts to other people.

Look at his responses to my posts. Pick one at random, and you have a 100% chance of seeing what I am talking about within the first 2 seconds of reading it.

If I only had a dime for every time I had to repeat this, well, I would easily be a 1%'er.

Abusive ad hominem (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponents in order to attack their claims or invalidate their arguments, but can also involve pointing out character flaws or actions that are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This is logically fallacious because it relates to the opponent's personal character, which has nothing to do with the logical merit of the opponent's argument


Oh yeah, if I only had another dime for every time I had to chide someone for name calling, then the 1% would be licking my boots. On the other hand, if you were to get a dime for every time I called someone a name, you would have a grand total of about 70 cents.

8-)
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (12)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:06 am

Funkyterrance wrote:More Ad Hominem attacks added to the stack aren't going to strengthen your position bro, they decidedly weaken it. If anyone wants to see what I wrote its right there, I don't need to hide it. I just don't nest tons of quotes for consideration of the reader. Even the accusation of calling me a hypocrite is an Ad Hominem attack if you provide no evidence lol.


I don't need to provide the evidence, when you're doing it yourself.

Funkyterrance wrote:Is comparing me to Phatscotty(another Ad Hominem attack) supposed to make me feel a certain way? It doesn't. You've managed to cram an amazing number of these hollow assaults into quite a few of your posts. If you continue to use such weak tactics I may do just what Phatscotty did. Can you blame me?


Blame you for being Phatscotty? Why would I blame you for that?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:06 am

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:the results you provided represented about 1% of the total amount of times that you've been wrong on this forum.


And of COURSE you can provide these multitudes of quotes, right?

john9blue wrote:this thread is about the percentage of the time that people admit to being wrong.


It is? The poll certainly doesn't reflect that, nor does the OP. Do ANY posts in the thread reflect that?

john9blue wrote:even a great number of admissions doesn't mean much when one is wrong as frequently as you are, oftentimes undebatably.


And of COURSE you can provide these multitudes of quotes, right?


why would i waste my time providing evidence for you? most people on this forum already have their own opinion about how honest and humble you are. i was just sharing mine.


Yeah, I didn't think you had any evidence for your bullshit either.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:09 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I hate to mar the serenity of that last post but can we please lock this thread right here and witness "the perfect ending"? I will gladly delete this post if my wish is granted.


Do you always run and hide when you're wrong, Phatscotty?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 am

Whatever people decide, just remember that most of the time when you admit you are wrong to someone, the other person is usually unable to handle it responsibly. Sure, they might take it in stride at first, but the next time an issue arises, there they will be, holding the time you admitted you were wrong over your head, using it to bash you at other times, using it to try to prove they are right about something completely unrelated....etc etc
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (12)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:27 am

Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I hate to mar the serenity of that last post but can we please lock this thread right here and witness "the perfect ending"? I will gladly delete this post if my wish is granted.


Do you always run and hide when you're wrong, Phatscotty?

now now, no need to be insulting... I'm not quite sure which of them you're insulting but I'm sure it has to be one of them
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 am

Phatscotty wrote:Whatever people decide, just remember that most of the time when you admit you are wrong to someone, the other person is usually unable to handle it responsibly. Sure, they might take it in stride at first, but the next time an issue arises, there they will be, holding the time you admitted you were wrong over your head, using it to bash you at other times, using it to try to prove they are right about something completely unrelated....etc etc

I actually have to agree with this
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Falkomagno on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:15 am

Phatscotty wrote:Whatever people decide, just remember that most of the time when you admit you are wrong to someone, the other person is usually unable to handle it responsibly. Sure, they might take it in stride at first, but the next time an issue arises, there they will be, holding the time you admitted you were wrong over your head, using it to bash you at other times, using it to try to prove they are right about something completely unrelated....etc etc



I disagree with this statment. I don't think is about if is convenientt for yourself to admit if you are wrong, but more a part of the personal proccess of knoledge, which is truncated if you never admit the times you were wrong.

Saying that you are not willing to admit yourself wrong, arguing that "others can not handle well" that admision, gives the impression that in general your ideas and opinions are not supported by facts or reality or truth, but rather by your fear of being proved wrong and therefore, according to your own words, prone to be "bashed" for it.

Of course, it depends of the context and the contender in the discussion, but at personal level, I find myself willing to admit myself wrong. I think is kind of pathetic to attach yourself with a wrong position, when is already refuted by facts.
User avatar
Private 1st Class Falkomagno
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Ad Hominem


Image
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
User avatar
Major Haggis_McMutton
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 am
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby jay_a2j on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:49 am

I admit to being wrong when the evidence leads to no other conclusion. ;)
THE DEBATE IS OVER...
PLAYER57832 wrote:Too many of those who claim they don't believe global warming are really "end-timer" Christians.

JESUS SAVES!!!
User avatar
Lieutenant jay_a2j
 
Posts: 4245
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:22 am
Location: In the center of the R3VOJUTION!
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Whatever people decide, just remember that most of the time when you admit you are wrong to someone, the other person is usually unable to handle it responsibly. Sure, they might take it in stride at first, but the next time an issue arises, there they will be, holding the time you admitted you were wrong over your head, using it to bash you at other times, using it to try to prove they are right about something completely unrelated....etc etc


I actually have to agree with this


I don't really remember this happening in this forum, to be honest.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Ad Hominem


Image

OMFG LOL!!!!




now I'm both cleaning food off the keyboard, and kicking myself for not thinking of that one first
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54 am

Woodruff wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Whatever people decide, just remember that most of the time when you admit you are wrong to someone, the other person is usually unable to handle it responsibly. Sure, they might take it in stride at first, but the next time an issue arises, there they will be, holding the time you admitted you were wrong over your head, using it to bash you at other times, using it to try to prove they are right about something completely unrelated....etc etc


I actually have to agree with this


I don't really remember this happening in this forum, to be honest.

what, me agreeing with scotty or his statement?
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:57 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Whatever people decide, just remember that most of the time when you admit you are wrong to someone, the other person is usually unable to handle it responsibly. Sure, they might take it in stride at first, but the next time an issue arises, there they will be, holding the time you admitted you were wrong over your head, using it to bash you at other times, using it to try to prove they are right about something completely unrelated....etc etc


I actually have to agree with this


I don't really remember this happening in this forum, to be honest.


what, me agreeing with scotty or his statement?


<laughing> His statement.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 am

Woodruff wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Whatever people decide, just remember that most of the time when you admit you are wrong to someone, the other person is usually unable to handle it responsibly. Sure, they might take it in stride at first, but the next time an issue arises, there they will be, holding the time you admitted you were wrong over your head, using it to bash you at other times, using it to try to prove they are right about something completely unrelated....etc etc


I actually have to agree with this


I don't really remember this happening in this forum, to be honest.


what, me agreeing with scotty or his statement?


<laughing> His statement.

I've hard personal experience with this out in the 'real world' so... *shrug* whether it's happened in the confines of the forum is immaterial to me.
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Ad Hominem


Image


If you had actually thought of it yourself it would have maybe been clever. A "me too" vote doesn't get you any more credibility Haggis. ;)
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Ad Hominem


Image


If you had actually thought of it yourself it would have maybe been clever. A "me too" vote doesn't get you any more credibility Haggis. ;)

now THAT is ad hominem, good job! =D>
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:56 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I hate to mar the serenity of that last post but can we please lock this thread right here and witness "the perfect ending"? I will gladly delete this post if my wish is granted.

ah, if only I could do that in real life, freeze time before I stick my foot in my mouth... alas, for I was seemingly born with foot-in-mouth disease...

aaanyway, I'm not quite sure how my name got drug into this but ok, I'm game
for starters: funky, you're being a little too broad with the term 'ad hominem'.
from dictionary.com
1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.
basically my problem with your usage is this: attacks on ones character are not ad hominem when they are not used in lieu of a proper response to an argument... it's just mudslinging at that point

again as to hypocracy: about half the times in this thread (rounding down because I'm attempting to be neutral) you accuse woodruff of ad hominem (not a few times incorrectly) you then deride his character instead of countering his claim: the very definition of ad hominem

lastly
Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:For the record, I've never heard Woodruff admit he was wrong. If cornered, he resorts to either redirecting the conversation or lashing out.


Eat it, bitch (this isn't even close to an exhaustive search):
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128387&p=2815913&hilit=mistake#p2815913
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88440&p=2056340&hilit=mistake#p2056340
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174761&p=3820159&hilit=mistake#p3820159
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174431&p=3812408&hilit=mistake#p3812408
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177416&p=3908986&hilit=mistake#p3908986
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=82967&p=1969467&hilit=mistake#p1969467
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121462&p=2678383&hilit=mistake#p2678383
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114367&p=2545658&hilit=mistake#p2545658
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114332&p=2539502&hilit=mistake#p2539502
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108610&p=2518471&hilit=mistake#p2518471
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=495&t=89466&p=2071208&hilit=mistake#p2071208
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82952&p=1982737&hilit=mistaken#p1982737
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116246&p=2570874&hilit=mistake#p2570874


Why woodruff, I should wash your filthy mouth out with soap!

To be accurate the links provided seem to be examples of you admitting to making mistakes, not being wrong. Being one who delights in arguing semantics you should be able to appreciate this distinction. Looks like its you who gets to "eat it" this time. O:)

Show me some examples of you admitting that you were seeing an issue solely from your own side, talking out of your ass and were proven wrong, end of discussion. If you can do this,you may find me admitting to being wrong about you. Until then, I stand by my judgement.

this isn't semantics, it's sophistry... he specifically went out of his way to prove he was mistaken... I challenge you to do the same


I realize that attempting to use mainly logic in my discussions leaves me quite vulnerable. I consider my Ad Hominem attacks at woodruff to be of a milder nature, if Ad Hominem at all, in that I am simply trying to discredit his methods, not his person. If he would play but the "rules" I would have no reason to even enter that realm. I consider these retorts of mine more "asides" than actual parts of the argument but perhaps its not viewed this way by all involved?
As far as those who seem gleeful at the fact that it may have looked like I outright contradicted myself or was misusing a term well, there is a reason I don't take the time to respond to their posts as much as I do to ones such as this. They simply are not sporting enough. I delight in the fact that you, faded, have the ability to throw me a curve. There was a time where these forums had several people could have that affect but sadly they have moved on.
You must know that I will not resort to Ad hominem attacks if you don't go down that road first. And if I do, call me out on it and I'll apologize.
As far as Woodruff's idea of the meaning of the word "wrong" not being a question of semantics I am still baffled. I may have used sophistry to get to the bottom of things but only as a tool for redirection, nothing more. I wasn't about to go off on a tangent about it.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:57 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Ad Hominem


Image


If you had actually thought of it yourself it would have maybe been clever. A "me too" vote doesn't get you any more credibility Haggis. ;)

now THAT is ad hominem, good job! =D>


Damn straight. He's not even arguing anything though, so can it even be Ad Hominem? Trolling a troll is a whole different ball game.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I hate to mar the serenity of that last post but can we please lock this thread right here and witness "the perfect ending"? I will gladly delete this post if my wish is granted.

ah, if only I could do that in real life, freeze time before I stick my foot in my mouth... alas, for I was seemingly born with foot-in-mouth disease...

aaanyway, I'm not quite sure how my name got drug into this but ok, I'm game
for starters: funky, you're being a little too broad with the term 'ad hominem'.
from dictionary.com
1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.
basically my problem with your usage is this: attacks on ones character are not ad hominem when they are not used in lieu of a proper response to an argument... it's just mudslinging at that point

again as to hypocracy: about half the times in this thread (rounding down because I'm attempting to be neutral) you accuse woodruff of ad hominem (not a few times incorrectly) you then deride his character instead of countering his claim: the very definition of ad hominem

lastly
Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:For the record, I've never heard Woodruff admit he was wrong. If cornered, he resorts to either redirecting the conversation or lashing out.


Eat it, bitch (this isn't even close to an exhaustive search):
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128387&p=2815913&hilit=mistake#p2815913
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88440&p=2056340&hilit=mistake#p2056340
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174761&p=3820159&hilit=mistake#p3820159
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174431&p=3812408&hilit=mistake#p3812408
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177416&p=3908986&hilit=mistake#p3908986
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=82967&p=1969467&hilit=mistake#p1969467
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121462&p=2678383&hilit=mistake#p2678383
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114367&p=2545658&hilit=mistake#p2545658
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114332&p=2539502&hilit=mistake#p2539502
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108610&p=2518471&hilit=mistake#p2518471
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=495&t=89466&p=2071208&hilit=mistake#p2071208
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82952&p=1982737&hilit=mistaken#p1982737
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116246&p=2570874&hilit=mistake#p2570874


Why woodruff, I should wash your filthy mouth out with soap!

To be accurate the links provided seem to be examples of you admitting to making mistakes, not being wrong. Being one who delights in arguing semantics you should be able to appreciate this distinction. Looks like its you who gets to "eat it" this time. O:)

Show me some examples of you admitting that you were seeing an issue solely from your own side, talking out of your ass and were proven wrong, end of discussion. If you can do this,you may find me admitting to being wrong about you. Until then, I stand by my judgement.


this isn't semantics, it's sophistry... he specifically went out of his way to prove he was mistaken... I challenge you to do the same


I realize that attempting to use mainly logic in my discussions leaves me quite vulnerable. I consider my Ad Hominem attacks at woodruff to be of a milder nature, if Ad Hominem at all, in that I am simply trying to discredit his methods, not his person. If he would play but the "rules" I would have no reason to even enter that realm. I consider these retorts of mine more "asides" than actual parts of the argument but perhaps its not viewed this way by all involved?
As far as those who seem gleeful at the fact that it may have looked like I outright contradicted myself or was misusing a term well, there is a reason I don't take the time to respond to their posts as much as I do to ones such as this. They simply are not sporting enough. I delight in the fact that you, faded, have the ability to throw me a curve. There was a time where these forums had several people could have that affect but sadly they have moved on.
You must know that I will not resort to Ad hominem attacks if you don't go down that road first. And if I do, call me out on it and I'll apologize.
As far as Woodruff's idea of the meaning of the word "wrong" not being a question of semantics I am still baffled. I may have used sophistry to get to the bottom of things but only as a tool for redirection, nothing more. I wasn't about to go off on a tangent about it.


Interesting how you responded to fadedpsychosis' post with "much ado about nothing" while avoiding his challenge.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Interesting how you responded to fadedpsychosis' post with "much ado about nothing" while avoiding his challenge.


I don't have them on file, woodruff, but I'll work on it. These things take time. I'm sorry if you viewed my post as "much ado about nothing", it was meant to be viewed as a clarification of sorts.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: When do you admit to being wrong?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:10 pm

I am also going to take this opportunity to say that I was wrong for not giving credit to woodruff for listing all the incidences where he was mistaken. I am sure this took a good amount of time and effort and it was rude of me to discount the fact that he was legitimately making an effort to provide actual proof to support his position.
Otherwise, I would still like to delve further into the subject with the latest objections.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login