Conquer Club

Politicians Lying

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What should we do with politicians that lie?

Total votes : 0

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Woodruff on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Woodruff wrote:Romney debates against himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgfzknYd20&hd=1

And then...Phatscotty should like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQwrB1vu74c&feature=related

Now, I haven't bothered to confirm all of the claims made in this video. However, several of them are quite easy to confirm. I know all politicians spin statistics and try to word things in such a way so as to minimize impact against them, but I'm seriously starting to wonder about Romney's basic integrity (and would be very interested in anything similar regarding Obama):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r6TA1PNG_M&feature=share
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby jimboston on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:20 am

bedub1 wrote: Given it <his position> changes on a daily basis, and changes based upon who he's talking to. The reason he <Romney> "won" the debate is cause <because> he lied his ass off to make himself appeal to lots of people. He backtracked on everything he said during his campaign, and his position has now swung 180 degrees to the other side.

So here's what kills me.

I would normally be a Romney supporter... by his flip-flopping HAS been so annoying that it's turning me off.
So I'm voting for the Libertarian. Not that it matters here in Mass.... because our Electoral votes are going to Obama anyway... but that's a different topic.

What kills me MORE however is how Libs and Dems from the otherside characterize his flip-flopping.

Yes. He's flip-flopped on some issues.

Has he really "lied his ass off... and swung 180 degrees"? No. In fact there isn't 180 degrees to swing between the two positions of the main candidates.

Let's reduce the exaggeration a bit... and let's not pretend Romney is the only lying politician.

Thanks!
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 am

Night Strike wrote:
bedub1 wrote:When rMoney states that he won't lower taxes on the rich, but his plan clearly does this, should he be disqualified from the election?

He clearly said in the debate that he wouldn't lower the share of taxes paid by the riches, which means the overall percentage of taxes paid by the rich. That is achieved by closing deductions and/or capping them.

By the way, why do you only name Romney in your post as a liar? What about the lies Obama has told about Libya, just to name one?

and let's not forget W with weapons of mass descruction in iraq, and clinton about having sex with that woman... I honestly can't think of a president that hasn't lied about something, much less your run of the mill politician... if we had to arrest every politician who lied we'd probably have more politicians than murderers in jail, and fewer politicians left in govt. than janitors...
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby chang50 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 am

Can a honest politician ever be elected?Surely he would be telling the electorate what they don't wan't to hear..
Captain chang50

Postby tzor on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:07 am

jimboston wrote:I would normally be a Romney supporter... by his flip-flopping HAS been so annoying that it's turning me off.
So I'm voting for the Libertarian. Not that it matters here in Mass.... because our Electoral votes are going to Obama anyway... but that's a different topic.

But Jim, that's just like a vote for Obama. Do I have to remind you, a true son of Boston that Obama is a White Sox fan? That he nominated and had confirmed a Yankee fan to the Supreme Court? Do you want four more years of that? It's apathy like this that resulted in the Red Sox meing managed by a has been ex Met who then traded out over half of the team away before the season ended, a move that was almost close enough to the most dreaded year when the World Series winning Florida Marlins were traded out in their entirity by the money grubbing owner of the team, dooming them to a decade (or more) of being outright pathetic and not worth anyone's time, even with a new stadium and an attempt to connect to the occasionally non city of Miami.

You can defeat Obama if you try. They said the senate seat wouldn't fall to a Republican in Mass either. Don't make John Adams rise from his grave and kick your ass.
Cadet tzor

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:24 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
bedub1 wrote:When rMoney states that he won't lower taxes on the rich, but his plan clearly does this, should he be disqualified from the election?

He clearly said in the debate that he wouldn't lower the share of taxes paid by the riches, which means the overall percentage of taxes paid by the rich. That is achieved by closing deductions and/or capping them.

By the way, why do you only name Romney in your post as a liar? What about the lies Obama has told about Libya, just to name one?

and let's not forget W with weapons of mass descruction in iraq, and clinton about having sex with that woman... I honestly can't think of a president that hasn't lied about something, much less your run of the mill politician... if we had to arrest every politician who lied we'd probably have more politicians than murderers in jail, and fewer politicians left in govt. than janitors...

Sorry but prisons are reserved for serious crimes like smoking a joint and getting angry in a bar and punching someone in the face.

There may be some truth to Eddie Izzard's stand-up routine. You talks about serial killers and one-time murderers. Boo hiss! Evil men, throw them in jail. But if you kill > 6 million people like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot have done, then... he jokingly congratulated them on how impressive that was. Politicians can enable mass killings, but most tend to not view them as the direct causes of the deaths. This may be why people get upset when you tell them that American President So-and-So should be tried for war crimes (for killing innocent civilians, invading 2 countries, bombing so-and-so, supporting terrorists at place X, etc.).

I blame it on nationalism to explain the general public's lack of demand for justice here, but more importantly it's the rules of the game for politicians. The institution in which they operate does not hold them accountable (sorry, PLAYER, voting is ineffective). It's the "who watches the watchman" problem.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:28 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

Sorry but prisons are reserved for serious crimes like smoking a joint and getting angry in a bar and punching someone in the face.

There may be some truth to Eddie Izzard's stand-up routine. You talks about serial killers and one-time murderers. Boo hiss! Evil men, throw them in jail. But if you kill > 6 million people like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot have done, then... he jokingly congratulated them on how impressive that was. Politicians can enable mass killings, but most tend to not view them as the direct causes of the deaths. This may be why people get upset when you tell them that American President So-and-So should be tried for war crimes (for killing innocent civilians, invading 2 countries, bombing so-and-so, supporting terrorists at place X, etc.).

I blame it on nationalism to explain the general public's lack of demand for justice here, but more importantly it's the rules of the game for politicians. The institution in which they operate does not hold them accountable (sorry, PLAYER, voting is ineffective). It's the "who watches the watchman" problem.

Major Phatscotty

Postby jimboston on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:48 pm

tzor wrote:
jimboston wrote:I would normally be a Romney supporter... by his flip-flopping HAS been so annoying that it's turning me off.

But Jim, that's just like a vote for Obama. Do I have to remind you, a true son of Boston that Obama is a White Sox fan? That he nominated and had confirmed a Yankee fan to the Supreme Court? Do you want four more years of that? It's apathy like this that resulted in the Red Sox meing managed by a has been ex Met who then traded out over half of the team away before the season ended, a move that was almost close enough to the most dreaded year when the World Series winning Florida Marlins were traded out in their entirity by the money grubbing owner of the team, dooming them to a decade (or more) of being outright pathetic and not worth anyone's time, even with a new stadium and an attempt to connect to the occasionally non city of Miami.

You can defeat Obama if you try. They said the senate seat wouldn't fall to a Republican in Mass either. Don't make John Adams rise from his grave and kick your ass.

If there was even a chance for Romney to take Mass. then yes... I would CONSIDER voting for him/

Honestly I liked Romney as Gov. The flip-flopping is annoying.

It's not as bad as some say... and if you know him you can see how (in many ways) he's not ooutright lying, but trying to be "nuanced". Though his is (has been) at the very least a bit disengenuous.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:26 pm

tzor wrote:That he nominated and had confirmed a Yankee fan to the Supreme Court?

At first I read this as "confirmed a Yankee to the Supreme Court", and I was thinking...well, if it's Derek Jeter, that'd probably be ok.

Derek Jeter...the only Yankee that pretty much everyone likes.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,