Everything we need in a survival bag

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Everything we need in a survival bag

Postby notyou2 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:31 pm

5000 Saxibucks would be helpful too.
Lieutenant notyou2

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:28 pm

You guys all had a good point about the matches and I've got saxi covered on the seeds.

Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 pm

notyou2 wrote:5000 Saxibucks would be helpful too.

You're totally right notyou2, leaves tend to be a bit scratchy and there's always the risk of accidentally using poison ivy.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:55 am

Snake venum and truth syrum.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 am

Added-

Based on suggestions -

Guns are a given. My immediate family owns about 150+ guns. But I don't live in a city or anything, and everyone in the countryside is armed. I don't feel that in any scenario we would be fighting each other for resources. More like we'd be working together. I also question how useful an edible wild plants book would be. I'm not sure that it's something I should carry?

What kind of knife do I need?
My pocketknife is an American-made Gerber folder, about 3 1/2 inches long, but the hardness is something like a 58. So it's very average steel. It won't hold an edge long. I have a couple other pocketknives, but they're all similar usefulness. But I'll always carry my pocketknife.
What kind of knife would you recommend? For example, a Kukri camp knife for chopping? Or a Ka-Bar and a hatchet? Or a serrated hunting knife? Maybe just a skinner? Or a small folder?

???
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 am

Fancy knives are overrated tbh, as long as you have something. Just pack a hone along with your knife and you're golden. A hatchet is way more useful if you are going to pack something as bulky as a kukri or survival knife. And instead of matches one of those flint/magnesium combos(I have one of these) is completely and indefinitely waterproof and tends to burn hotter. Bug dope maybe? A cyanide pill since it sounds like you would probably be fced anyway?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Fancy knives are overrated tbh, as long as you have something. Just pack a hone along with your knife and you're golden. A hatchet is way more useful if you are going to pack something as bulky as a kukri or survival knife. And instead of matches one of those flint/magnesium combos(I have one of these) is completely and indefinitely waterproof and tends to burn hotter. Bug dope maybe? A cyanide pill since it sounds like you would probably be fced anyway?

For the long term "revolution".. sure, but these measures are for more mundane emergencies, like floods, fire, earthquakesk hurricanes, chemical spills, blizzards, etc. -- even just longer term power outages can be a minor pain or a major threat depending on how well prepared you are.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 am

here's what in my kit:
everything is in a single waterproof bag and some items are inside a smaller waterproof bag inside that bag (like pills and matches)

- fresh bottled water (2 bottles of 0,5L)
- reflecting jacket (to get the attention of rescue teams)
- those small foldable towels in a can
- shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc.
- loperamide (look it up if you don't know what it is) it could save your life in certain situations because of poor hygiene in major disasters.
- paracetamol [aka acetaminophen] (can reduce fevers and headache, but in this case it's to prevent fevers from getting out of hand)
- matches
- grain cookies, raisins, candybars, nuts, anything small and edible while still providing enough energy for it's size will do, try to keep it healthy though. oh and it should not rot away within a few days of course.
- extra socks and underwear
- a whistle (to get attention of rescue teams)
- a radio that runs on electricity generated by turning a handle, can also charge a phone with it.
- a phone
- some spare chance
- copy of ID
- tissues
- glasses/contact lenses (if you wear them ofc.)
- waterproof flashlight, preferably one that works on musclepower, otherwise make sure to get PLENTY of batteries. (can also be used to drag attention)

also, it may not be a bad idea to take something like a sudoku puzzle or something with you to keep your mind clear, a calm mind will not panic so easily and that way you won't make deadly mistakes when it counts. (doesn't have to be sudoku, but anything that works for you).

also, make sure to check the bag every now and than to see if the content is still on the best before date (the food, water and the medicines that is)
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 am

note though that what you need can to some degree depend on what kind of emergency you are facing and what kind of area you are living in.
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby notyou2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:03 am

You need a can opener for your towel in a can.

Oh and a generator to run it.

and gas.
Lieutenant notyou2

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)

Postby john9blue on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 am

anyone who knows anything about troll science knows that magnets are essential for any survivalist's kit.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby 2dimes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 am

A survival kit is silly for the "revolution, apocolypse, zombie uprising, day we run out of women, etc." If you want to plan for that, build a cabin with a well and plant a garden. Just leave the city now and do it. The grid locked traffic won't miss you anymore than you miss it.

I put together a kit because I was invovled in SAR and if they find you it isn't going to be 5 minutes after you're lost. You might want to find water, start a fire and set up a shelter.

I have a spare knife and two sharpening stones. I have a cloth bandage, sewing kit and a roll of dayglow orange plastic streamer (think police do not cross tape only smaller with no text.) you can use it to make your trail if you decide you have to leave the aircraft.

The two best ways to signal an airplane that's flying by is a mirror by day, a flare by night. A really smokey fire is a good second place during the day but it has to be obscenly smokey like burning tires or something.
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:12 pm

2dimes wrote:A survival kit is silly for the "revolution, apocolypse, zombie uprising, day we run out of women, etc." If you want to plan for that, build a cabin with a well and plant a garden. Just leave the city now and do it. The grid locked traffic won't miss you anymore than you miss it.
Yeah... though you might find yourself invaded if there really is a revolution.
2dimes wrote:I put together a kit because I was invovled in SAR and if they find you it isn't going to be 5 minutes after you're lost. You might want to find water, start a fire and set up a shelter.

I have a spare knife and two sharpening stones. I have a cloth bandage, sewing kit and a roll of dayglow orange plastic streamer (think police do not cross tape only smaller with no text.) you can use it to make your trail if you decide you have to leave the aircraft.

The two best ways to signal an airplane that's flying by is a mirror by day, a flare by night. A really smokey fire is a good second place during the day but it has to be obscenly smokey like burning tires or something.

The flagging is a good idea(that's what it is called, by-the way, and you can find it in most hardware stores -- at least the real ones that actually sell hardware). You can even get a degradable kind if that worries you (it won't degrade for quite some time).

I would add some ready-to eat, but long-term packable food items, and a first aid book, if not a kit. Soap is also good.. much better than the alchohol stuff, but you do need water.

Parts of a plane can make fires, and the plane can serve as a rude shelter, but you need more insulation... and a grab pack is nice in case of an "incident" because you might survive, but the plane may not. Just make sure it is right next to you, where you can grab it.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby nietzsche on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Condoms? You don't want to conceive a child in that situation..

And good coffee, you don't want to live a life without good coffee.
Last edited by nietzsche on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm

(1) Guns.
(2) Access to someone with a survival kit with no guns.
Sergeant thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby notyou2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Juan, what is the current weight of the pack in both pounds and kilograms?
Lieutenant notyou2

Postby Borderdawg on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Too many variables. Are you talking about a car kit? A full blown bug-out bag? A shelter in place kit? Long term? short term? If you're not sure, then go with tgd's version! lmao

thegreekdog wrote:(1) Guns.

I carry a S&W .38 and a Schrade LB7 (a good sized folding knife) always, keep 100 rds of ammo in my vehicles. I also developed the habit of keeping a small amount (40-50 ft.) of heavy fishing line (min. 50 lb. strength) in my wallet many years ago. Excellent for snares and many other things. Braid 3 or more strands and it makes a fair garrote. If I'm close to home, no problems at all! Got a 40 ft steel shipping container with all kinda goodies! :twisted:
Asst. Gatekeeper, XI Games.
Corporal 1st Class Borderdawg

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby notyou2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Borderdawg wrote:Too many variables. Are you talking about a car kit? A full blown bug-out bag? A shelter in place kit? Long term? short term? If you're not sure, then go with tgd's version! lmao

I carry a S&W .38 and a Schrade LB7 (a good sized folding knife) always, keep 100 rds of ammo in my vehicles. I also developed the habit of keeping a small amount (40-50 ft.) of heavy fishing line (min. 50 lb. strength) in my wallet many years ago. Excellent for snares and many other things. Braid 3 or more strands and it makes a fair garrote. If I'm close to home, no problems at all! Got a 40 ft steel shipping container with all kinda goodies! :twisted:

Are you the multi of THORNHEART?
Lieutenant notyou2

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Borderdawg wrote:Too many variables. Are you talking about a car kit? A full blown bug-out bag? A shelter in place kit? Long term? short term? If you're not sure, then go with tgd's version! lmao

You're the man to see when the zombies come home.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Typical city slicker response. I'd give you approximately 24 hours till you were crying for your mummy.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby maxfaraday on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Guns.
A bow or a crossbow to hunt.
Swiss Army Knife.
Lighter.
Soap.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I really have to stress that everyone out here has at least 1 gun, or would have immediate access to one in any disaster. The Japos were right not to invade 'Merica. Country folk are as well armed as any drug cartel. You all should remain wary of that if you ever plan to form a rouge band of nefarious robber folk.
Generally, I don't think we would suffer for lack of food either, unless something very serious happened that killed all of our livestock. Prices would rise very high, but that's all. The Bronkema's chicken farm will still be there. But protein bars are a good idea for a short-term "I'm not lost" scenario.

Some of this advice is really good though. I like the idea of carrying fishing line. Those Paracord bracelet's supposedly can be taken apart for fishing line, but in my mind, by that time you're already dead.

Got three of these, based on good advice:

And these as well:

The water bottle is steel, so I could cook with it or boil water.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby 2dimes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Road flares might work but I like the kind you can shoot in the air. The one's in my pack screw onto a pen launcher.
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby maxfaraday on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Also, a big dog trained for hunting.
I like german sheperds (had 2 of them when I was a kid).
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby nietzsche on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five