Conquer Club

Who's behind the Voter ID movement?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Who's behind the Voter ID movement?

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Great in-depth analysis of the voter ID movement from Jane Mayer in the New Yorker.

It's not a short read, but if you're interested in the topic it's here:

THE VOTER-FRAUD MYTH

At the Heritage Foundation, von Spakovsky emphasized that his devotion to safeguarding voter integrity had nothing to do with racial discrimination or partisan gain: ā€œIā€™m not in this because Iā€™m on a team. I believe in having fair elections, and I would never be willing to do anything that would encourage or allow cheating in an election. My interest is in making sure that the person who people vote for the most wins.ā€

Yet many Democrats see his cause as a voter-suppression effort in disguise. Thirty-three states have passed some form of voter-I.D. law, the most severe versions of which demand government-issued cards with photographs and expiration dates. A driverā€™s license typically qualifies, but many students, elderly people, and poor urban residents do not have one.

According to a study by the Brennan Center for Justice, a liberal nonprofit institute at N.Y.U. Law School, eleven per cent of the voting-age population lacks the kind of I.D. cards required by the strictest states. Eighteen per cent of Americans over the age of sixty-five do not have such documentation; among African-Americans the figure is twenty-five per cent. Von Spakovsky criticized the study for focussing not on registered voters but on all Americans who are eligible to vote. He cites rival studies indicating that the number of registered voters without I.D.s is negligible.

The vast majority of the lawmakers who have pushed for voter I.D.s have been Republicans. As Bill Clinton has put it, ā€œThis is not rocket science. They are trying to make the 2012 electorate look more like the 2010 electorateā€ā€”when many young and minority voters stayed homeā€”ā€œthan the 2008 electorate.ā€ Clinton said that the ā€œeffort to limit the franchiseā€ was the most determined ā€œsince we got rid of the poll tax and all the other Jim Crow burdens on voting.ā€
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Who's behind the Voter ID movement?

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Or, alternatively, there's no conspiracy, no black helicopters, no New World Order operating behind the scenes, no shadowy plot; it's a simple policy disagreement.

Jimmy Carter wrote:Supporters of this policy argue that if voters identify themselves before voting, election fraud will be reduced. Opponents of an ID requirement fear it will disenfranchise voters, especially the poor, members of minority groups and the elderly, who are less likely than other voters to have suitable identification. The debate is polarized because most of the proponents are Republicans and most of the opponents are Democrats.

In 2005, we led a bipartisan Commission on Federal Election Reform and concluded that both parties' concerns were legitimate ā€” a free and fair election requires both ballot security and full access to voting.

http://www.cartercenter.org/news/editor ... er_id.html

Usually the simplest explanation is the right one. But not the most exciting.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm not sure how that 2005 report relates to the article, but I guess it's interesting. That there is exaggeration on both sides is discussed within the article:

Mainstream election experts say that Spakovsky has had an improbably large impact. Richard L. Hasen, a law professor at the University of California at Irvine, and the author of a recent book, ā€œThe Voting Wars,ā€ says, ā€œBefore 2000, there were some rumblings about Democratic voter fraud, but it really wasnā€™t part of the main discourse. But thanks to von Spakovsky and the flame-fanning of a few others, the myth that Democratic voter fraud is common, and that it helps Democrats win elections, has become part of the Republican orthodoxy.ā€

In December, Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, wrote, ā€œElection fraud is a real and persistent threat to our electoral system.ā€ He accused Democrats of ā€œstanding up for potential fraudā€”presumably because ending it would disenfranchise at least two of its core constituencies: the deceased and double-voters.ā€

Hasen believes that Democrats, for their part, have made exaggerated claims about the number of voters who may be disenfranchised by Republican election-security measures. But he regards the conservative alarmists as more successful. ā€œTheir job is really done,ā€ Hasen says. ā€œItā€™s common now to assert that there is a need for voter I.D.s, even without any evidence.ā€

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 ... z2ABACRYzd
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:I'm not sure how that 2005 report relates to the article

it seems like you are ... see:

Symmetry wrote:That there is exaggeration on both sides is discussed within the article
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I'm not sure how that 2005 report relates to the article

it seems like you are ... see:

Symmetry wrote:That there is exaggeration on both sides is discussed within the article

Don't be fatuous Jeffrey.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Ray Rider on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Symmetry wrote:Who's behind the Voter ID movement?

Logic, common sense, and the rest of the civilized world perhaps? We have voter ID laws up here in Canada and it's been working just fine.*

*I'm not necessarily implying that Canada is the embodiment or the essence of logic, common sense, and comprises of the whole of the civilized world, but take away from those sentences what you will...
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 am

Ray Rider wrote:

Logic, common sense, and the rest of the civilized world perhaps? We have voter ID laws up here in Canada and it's been working just fine.*

*I'm not necessarily implying that Canada is the embodiment or the essence of logic, common sense, and comprises of the whole of the civilized world, but take away from those sentences what you will...

This must mean that Canadians are racist!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:49 pm

or that some people just always need something or someone to blame, a villain, even go so far as to create villains, and can never even consider that voter ID is just common sense
Major Phatscotty

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Phatscotty wrote:or that some people just always need something or someone to blame, a villain, even go so far as to create villains

ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby notyou2 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:05 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Ray Rider wrote:

This must mean that Canadians are racist!

We only hate everyone that is different than us.
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Ray Rider wrote:

]

It worked just fine before the ID laws also. The fact that something functions is not, in and of itself, and argument in favour, if the alternative functions just as well.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:10 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:or that some people just always need something or someone to blame, a villain, even go so far as to create villains

Born a Marxist, raised a Marxist, educated a Marxist, worshipped a Marxist....

Obama as Marxist villain was created, but not by me or Republicans or Libertarians or anyone in the 21st century, but Obama was created as a Marxist by his Marxist mother. the "dreams of his (Marxist) father", and his Marxist Grandfather, whos FBI files are also "sealed", just like Obama's college transcript. Further molded by Communist Frank Marshall Davis and Marxist Jeremiah Wright at his "Black Liberation Theology of Social Christianity Church" that he was a member of for over 20 years.
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

Obama as Marxist villain was created, but not by me or Republicans or Libertarians or anyone in the 21st century, but Obama was created as a Marxist by his mother. the "dreams of his father", and his Marxist Grandfather, whos FBI files are also "sealed", just like Obama's college transcript.

Then why has he spent his entire administration giving handouts to corporations owned by capitalists?

If he's a Marxist, I imagine the Third International (or Fifth, or Twentieth, or whatever we're up to now) would have had him offed as a traitor by now.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

Obama as Marxist villain was created, but not by me or Republicans or Libertarians or anyone in the 21st century, but Obama was created as a Marxist by his mother. the "dreams of his father", and his Marxist Grandfather, whos FBI files are also "sealed", just like Obama's college transcript.

Then why has he spent his entire administration giving handouts to corporations owned by capitalists?

If he's a Marxist, I imagine the Third International (or Fifth, or Twentieth, or whatever we're up to now) would have had him offed as a traitor by now.

because he's greedy and a hypocrite?

NAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Major Phatscotty

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

11% of the words in the preceding post were "Marxist"
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

yes, I know.

Lots of evidence and influences
Major Phatscotty

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

NAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

That's pretty much a prerequisite for being elected to political office, and applies equally well to politicians of all stripes. Doesn't answer my question.

I'll rephrase: How can you reconcile Obama's alleged Marxism with his total obedience to Wall Street's capitalist demands?
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Says the guy who villianizes Obama.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

NAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

That's pretty much a prerequisite for being elected to political office, and applies equally well to politicians of all stripes. Doesn't answer my question.

I'll rephrase: How can you reconcile Obama's alleged Marxism with his total obedience to Wall Street's capitalist demands?

I simply am not naive enough to think that Obama would blow his Marxist load in one shot at the beginning of his first term......but perhaps it is slightly possible that it is for the power and the control, and what it will be in the future (not before re-election)
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

Obama as Marxist villain was created, but not by me or Republicans or Libertarians or anyone in the 21st century, but Obama was created as a Marxist by his Marxist mother. the "dreams of his (Marxist) father", and his Marxist Grandfather, whos FBI files are also "sealed", just like Obama's college transcript. Further molded by Communist Frank Marshall Davis and Marxist Jeremiah Wright at his "Black Liberation Theology of Social Christianity Church" that he was a member of for over 20 years.

You're pretty much proving his point, of course.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

NAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

No, that's you.

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

yes, I know.

check this out -

Scott is a Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist
I just dropped even more evidence that, in fact, you're the secret Marxist! In fact, I posted 2 more pieces of evidence than you posted!

*tickle tickle* *Saxi tickles Scotty* :P
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

yes, I know.

check this out -

Scott is a Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist
I just dropped even more evidence that, in fact, you're the secret Marxist! In fact, I posted 2 more pieces of evidence than you posted!

*tickle tickle* *Saxi tickles Scotty* :P

MARX OFF!!!
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

NAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I simply am not naive enough to think that Obama would blow his Marxist load in one shot at the beginning of his first term......but perhaps it is slightly possible that it is for the power and the control, and what it will be in the future (not before re-election)

Here Phatscotty admits that, once again, he has no basis nor evidence for his claims.

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
MARX OFF!!!

ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,