Conquer Club

Who's the King?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Who is the King of the Kings of American Music?

Total votes : 0

Re: Who's the King?

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:23 am

ITT: Tailgunner attempts to objectively judge those who are of a subjective profession.

inb4 "hurrdurr I trol you"

inb4 "f*ck tha police comin' straight from the underground"

inb4 "'cause I'm Kurtis Blow and I want you to know that these are the breaks"
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby notyou2 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:'sfunny when people discuss music and they've no idea what they're talking about.

-TG

Music snobs suck.

Maybe. But your opinion is invalid if you think Tom Morello or Jack White can compare to Hendrix. Not even in their wettest dreams.

btw, as somebody who's listened to waaay more blues than just about anybody, B.B. King is not the King. He's not even the best of the three Kings (Albert, Freddie, and B.B.).

-TG

Do you think that Jack White and Tom Morello could not play any Jimi Hendrix guitar riff? I'm not suggesting that Jack White and Tom Morello are better than Jimi Hendrix as musicians or as creative people. I'm suggesting that they can play the Hendrix Star Spangled Banner. So when notyou2 says "nobody can do what Hendrix did with an electric guitar," I say, yeah, they can. I can play Bach on the piano, doesn't mean I'm Bach, but it also doesn't mean I can't do what Bach can do with a piano.

I guess the proof would be to do the Star Spangled Banner with the same guitar and equipment Jimi did it with. My point was there are way more accessories today for effects than in Hendrix' day.
Captain notyou2

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:12 am

Scott Joplin is the only one on the list whose work I really know so he wins my vote by default.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:12 am

thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:'sfunny when people discuss music and they've no idea what they're talking about.

-TG

Music snobs suck.

Maybe. But your opinion is invalid if you think Tom Morello or Jack White can compare to Hendrix. Not even in their wettest dreams.

btw, as somebody who's listened to waaay more blues than just about anybody, B.B. King is not the King. He's not even the best of the three Kings (Albert, Freddie, and B.B.).

-TG

Do you think that Jack White and Tom Morello could not play any Jimi Hendrix guitar riff? I'm not suggesting that Jack White and Tom Morello are better than Jimi Hendrix as musicians or as creative people. I'm suggesting that they can play the Hendrix Star Spangled Banner. So when notyou2 says "nobody can do what Hendrix did with an electric guitar," I say, yeah, they can. I can play Bach on the piano, doesn't mean I'm Bach, but it also doesn't mean I can't do what Bach can do with a piano.

notyou2's statement was that no one did with the electric guitar what Jimi did. That's true because it entails more than technical skill. White and Morello are not the gamechangers Hendrix was, and never will be. He's had more impact on music than White, Morello, and a whole slew of others could ever hope to achieve. Fifty years from now, White and Morello will be tiny blips, mere cliff notes in rock music probably only remembered by those who listened to them when they were active. Jimi will likely be remembered for as long as Western music is popular. That's what he did with the guitar, and what they can't do. Jimi coaxed all manner of noises out of his guitars and expanded the guitar's vocabulary, so to speak.

My point wasn't that they aren't technically proficient enough to be considered good guitarists. Any asshole can play skillfully, doesn't mean they play well or create good music (see Dragonforce or Yngwie or any of the other guys who just play scales and arpeggios really fast). And I don't dislike Morello or White.

AoG wrote:ITT: Tailgunner attempts to objectively judge those who are of a subjective profession.

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:46 pm

You're out of your element TG
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:24 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:notyou2's statement was that no one did with the electric guitar what Jimi did. That's true because it entails more than technical skill. White and Morello are not the gamechangers Hendrix was, and never will be. He's had more impact on music than White, Morello, and a whole slew of others could ever hope to achieve. Fifty years from now, White and Morello will be tiny blips, mere cliff notes in rock music probably only remembered by those who listened to them when they were active. Jimi will likely be remembered for as long as Western music is popular. That's what he did with the guitar, and what they can't do. Jimi coaxed all manner of noises out of his guitars and expanded the guitar's vocabulary, so to speak.

My point wasn't that they aren't technically proficient enough to be considered good guitarists. Any asshole can play skillfully, doesn't mean they play well or create good music (see Dragonforce or Yngwie or any of the other guys who just play scales and arpeggios really fast). And I don't dislike Morello or White.

From my perspective, Hendrix was great because he was the first. I also enjoy his music and guitar playing. And yeah, any asshole can play skillfully and I don't listen to people who just play scales really fast. I interpreted notyou2's statement as Hendrix being ultimately skilled. He's not ultimately skilled. Hendrix was a pioneer and a genius, but he wasn't the greatest guitar player of all time in terms of skill.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby notyou2 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:notyou2's statement was that no one did with the electric guitar what Jimi did. That's true because it entails more than technical skill. White and Morello are not the gamechangers Hendrix was, and never will be. He's had more impact on music than White, Morello, and a whole slew of others could ever hope to achieve. Fifty years from now, White and Morello will be tiny blips, mere cliff notes in rock music probably only remembered by those who listened to them when they were active. Jimi will likely be remembered for as long as Western music is popular. That's what he did with the guitar, and what they can't do. Jimi coaxed all manner of noises out of his guitars and expanded the guitar's vocabulary, so to speak.

From my perspective, Hendrix was great because he was the first. I also enjoy his music and guitar playing. And yeah, any asshole can play skillfully and I don't listen to people who just play scales really fast. I interpreted notyou2's statement as Hendrix being ultimately skilled. He's not ultimately skilled. Hendrix was a pioneer and a genius, but he wasn't the greatest guitar player of all time in terms of skill.

IMO he was the greatest. I love Gerry Garcia and his playing was awesome, but he wasn't a Hendrix. I love Jimmy Page and believe he comes closer to Hendrix, but still not there. Jeff Beck is incredible, as are most others mentioned in this poll. However, I miss Gerry the most. He could change my mood just listening to him, and there was NOTHING LIKE A DEAD SHOW. Thankfully he left us with a huge library of recorded concerts.
Captain notyou2

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,