Conquer Club

What's your Christian Denomination?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sat May 05, 2007 1:31 am

jay_a2j wrote:Pentecostal ...no denomination. (hmmm am I the only pentecostal on CC?) :shock:

Life Center Church (look it up). We had some people break away from us a few years ago because of their want to be more pentacostal.
"There is only one road to peace, and that is to conquer"-Hunter Clark

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"- Something Hunter would say
Private Jenos Ridan

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sat May 05, 2007 1:36 am

2dimes wrote:Now, though I am fairly against the whole concept of religion and worse yet denominations, I am interested in them from a distance.

Who can explain (other than Jay) what this whole denomination thing is about?

What is the difference between the Roman Catholics and all the protestant ones?

Why did you pick the one you are? Or did it pick you?

I can't find anyone to explain Lutheran, Presbyterian (church of scotland) etc. are they just further splinters off the church of England?

It's funny because before my Grandfather that branch of my family tree would be Presbyterian yet I don't have the slightest idea about that orginisation. I actually only found out they were presbyterians somewhat recently. Maybe I should be one of them.

My dad has said that he's agnostic, (I've heard that's not a real word, kind of like aint.) he only ever went to church because that's where the boy scout meetings were.

My mother inlaw goes to Anglican churches (Canadian for epicopalian/ church of England.)as did my wife before I corrupted her. There's no fried chicken and potato salad or I would probably take my wife and go too.

For about 99% of it, diffences in interpretation and implementation. Some churchs (like mine) believe in speaking in tougues (which I do often) but many others don't. Just one example. I dislike the disunity of the Church, but I understand why it happens.

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"- Something Hunter would say
Private Jenos Ridan

Postby spurgistan on Sat May 05, 2007 5:49 pm

2dimes wrote:Now, though I am fairly against the whole concept of religion and worse yet denominations, I am interested in them from a distance.

I can't find anyone to explain Lutheran, Presbyterian (church of scotland) etc. are they just further splinters off the church of England?

It's funny because before my Grandfather that branch of my family tree would be Presbyterian yet I don't have the slightest idea about that orginisation. I actually only found out they were presbyterians somewhat recently. Maybe I should be one of them.

My dad has said that he's agnostic, (I've heard that's not a real word, kind of like aint.) he only ever went to church because that's where the boy scout meetings were.

My mother inlaw goes to Anglican churches (Canadian for epicopalian/ church of England.)as did my wife before I corrupted her. There's no fried chicken and potato salad or I would probably take my wife and go too.

Within the general Christian Church, which hold a few, vague things in common (the divinity of Christ, we should follow His teachings, God is three, etc. - at least I think everybody follows that) but within the Church, there is an wide difference on what our commitment to the Lord is, the individual church services are very different. the political ramifications of what your sect is are manifold, and so on.

While the Roman Catholics are more or less "the same", as they take the rulings of the Vatican to be God's word, what we call "Protestants" (a misleading term, as true Protestants are not just any Christian who's not Catholic or Orthodox) are a very splintered group with no real hierarchial organization, and thus no way of guaranteeing that even the same sect practices their religion the same way (for instance, Crazy Anglican and I, while technically part of the same communion, have quite divergent views, if I may say so) Essentially, the only thing Protestant churches have in common is that we do NOT accept the Pope as the highest representative of God on Earth, although we do think he is occasionally a kickass dude. As far as choosing what sect, it's mostly finding a church you like, maybe the one your family goes to. Hope this helps.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Nephilim on Sat May 05, 2007 7:24 pm

spurgistan wrote:

Within the general Christian Church, which hold a few, vague things in common (the divinity of Christ, we should follow His teachings, God is three, etc. - at least I think everybody follows that) but within the Church, there is an wide difference on what our commitment to the Lord is, the individual church services are very different. the political ramifications of what your sect is are manifold, and so on.

While the Roman Catholics are more or less "the same", as they take the rulings of the Vatican to be God's word, what we call "Protestants" (a misleading term, as true Protestants are not just any Christian who's not Catholic or Orthodox) are a very splintered group with no real hierarchial organization, and thus no way of guaranteeing that even the same sect practices their religion the same way (for instance, Crazy Anglican and I, while technically part of the same communion, have quite divergent views, if I may say so) Essentially, the only thing Protestant churches have in common is that we do NOT accept the Pope as the highest representative of God on Earth, although we do think he is occasionally a kickass dude. As far as choosing what sect, it's mostly finding a church you like, maybe the one your family goes to. Hope this helps.

i believe you could find plenty of episcopals who don't hold to the divinity of christ (or a triune god)

and 2dimes, you comin to CC for this kind of info? you're kidding, rite?
LibertƩ, egalitƩ, cash monƩ

Hey, Fox News: Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

My heart beats with unconditional love
But beware of the blackness that it's capable of
Captain Nephilim

Postby Huckleberryhound on Sat May 05, 2007 11:14 pm

2dimes wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterian

I hope this helps :)
Corporal Huckleberryhound

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sat May 05, 2007 11:32 pm

spurgistan wrote:

Most Churches teach Trinitarian doctrine, which, if you read scripture at all, is the truth. Apart from this, there is precious little comman ground.

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby lduke1990 on Sat May 05, 2007 11:36 pm

yeah... ATHEISM anyone?
We are the Borg. We come to assimilate your technology. Resistance is futile
Private lduke1990

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sat May 05, 2007 11:53 pm

lduke1990 wrote:yeah... ATHEISM anyone?

Now, for a man professing to have no faith, your seem to be after our 'belief' with almost RELIGIOUS zeal :P !

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby 2dimes on Sat May 05, 2007 11:53 pm

Nephilim wrote:and 2dimes, you comin to CC for this kind of info? you're kidding, rite?
Well, I'm not really after higher education on the subject.

I would like to hear first hand opinions from some people, that are what ever particular denomination, on what it means to them, what they think is the basic make up of it and why they are part of their organisation. Instead of outsiders telling it from an observers position.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sun May 06, 2007 12:04 am

2dimes wrote:
Nephilim wrote:and 2dimes, you comin to CC for this kind of info? you're kidding, rite?

I would like to hear first hand opinions from some people, that are what ever particular denomination, on what it means to them, what they think is the basic make up of it and why they are part of their organisation. Instead of outsiders telling it from an observers position.

Well, Look mine up. Life Center Church.

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby 2dimes on Sun May 06, 2007 12:21 am

Jenos Ridan wrote:
2dimes wrote:

I'm having difficulty responding to this.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sun May 06, 2007 12:27 am

2dimes wrote:
Jenos Ridan wrote:
2dimes wrote:

I'm having difficulty responding to this.

Simple. You do know how to Google Search, right?

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby The1exile on Sun May 06, 2007 3:26 am

Nephilim wrote:
Anarchist wrote:Personally id rather worship a woman then some guy who got nailed to a cross(poor bastard)

thing is, most of us worship the guy b/c he came back to life. that's the cool part

Well, allegedly Lazarus did too. :roll:
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby jay_a2j on Sun May 06, 2007 8:11 am

The1exile wrote:
Nephilim wrote:
Anarchist wrote:Personally id rather worship a woman then some guy who got nailed to a cross(poor bastard)

thing is, most of us worship the guy b/c he came back to life. that's the cool part

Not on his own, Jesus raised him. :wink:
THE DEBATE IS OVER...
PLAYER57832 wrote:Too many of those who claim they don't believe global warming are really "end-timer" Christians.

JESUS SAVES!!!
Lieutenant jay_a2j

Postby 2dimes on Sun May 06, 2007 11:11 am

Jenos Ridan wrote:Simple. You do know how to Google Search, right?
That is not the issue.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby DAZMCFC on Sun May 06, 2007 3:39 pm

i am C of E Protestant. but i am not really a church goer. i do have strong beliefs but not necessarily to jesus or god. see i am not to sure about all that bollocks that god created everything, i am more for we evovled from monkeys. also i am not to sure about jesus coming back to life and shit like that but each to their own and what each individual believes in, is ok by me. :wink:
high score:2765
high place:116
Major DAZMCFC

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sun May 06, 2007 9:40 pm

jay_a2j wrote:
The1exile wrote:
Nephilim wrote:

Not on his own, Jesus raised him. :wink:

And Why? Because only God can raise God.

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sun May 06, 2007 9:49 pm

2dimes wrote:
Jenos Ridan wrote:Simple. You do know how to Google Search, right?
That is not the issue.

Ok, So you want my take. I'd have thought that you doing the research would be more accurate, but I'll tell you what I know. We believe that ever since the fall of adam and eve, God has made only one covenant with man, to restore the state of man before the fall; God has not changed. One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is the ablity to speak in tougues. However, unlike in pentecostal churches, we believe that one can call it up without the holy ghost after the first time; the Spirit activates it and it is yours to use for the glorification of God in prayer and worship. Apart from that, I know little else.

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sun May 06, 2007 9:53 pm

DAZMCFC wrote:i am C of E Protestant. but i am not really a church goer. i do have strong beliefs but not necessarily to jesus or god. see i am not to sure about all that bollocks that god created everything, i am more for we evovled from monkeys. also i am not to sure about jesus coming back to life and shit like that but each to their own and what each individual believes in, is ok by me. :wink:

So, raised in a religious home but no so. Ok. At least you aren't being negative about the whole affair.

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 07, 2007 11:03 pm

Ok, thanks Jenos. Like I said I just wanted to hear what real people have to say about their denominations.

If I wanted the official blurb or wikipidia I'd go scope them.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jay_a2j on Mon May 07, 2007 11:11 pm

In summary, there are probably no denominations that are 100% correct in what they believe or maybe all of them are correct. Denominations are man-made, which is why I try to steer clear of them. The sad thing is no matter what your denomination is, as long as they point you to Jesus the rest doesn't matter. Too bad we can't tear down the walls of denomination and just love God. :D
THE DEBATE IS OVER...
PLAYER57832 wrote:Too many of those who claim they don't believe global warming are really "end-timer" Christians.

JESUS SAVES!!!
Lieutenant jay_a2j

Postby 2dimes on Tue May 08, 2007 10:15 am

Jay get out of here with posts I generally agree with. We're supposed to be antagonists right now. I would state there are no people that are %100 correct therefore as you said, "probably no denominations."

My biggest issue with it is they tend to spark debates that are based on things that are not important to dissagree on and sometimes that leads to schisms. (kind of like me, worst denomination ever I guess)

As a Catholic a person would most likely not want to associate with a Protestant and visa versa. Worst case being Ireland in the somewhat recent past.

I find it peculiar, interesting, amusing and somewhat sad that there seem to be many churches that break off from another church because of a disagreement that may even be valid. However when you look at the two from an observer's position they seem to be much closer to the same organisation. ie. the "new" one practices most of the same things as the "old" one. Yet both sides are miffed and hold contempt for the other.

My brother in law was working with the youth pastor at a church, this church decided it was going to perform same gender marriage. In addition to the fact that my brother inlaw and his friend/mentor disagreed with it, at the time it was not recognised any where in Canada and is still illegal in this province. They expressed concern and refused to be supportive of the new policy. They came to work one day and the locks on the church had been changed, the persons of power decided rather then discuss it and work things out they would forcibly remove the dissadents.

The two then joined with what I consider a break away of the first organisation, I don't understand why they left it and started up with one that is almost the same as the other one?

Seems to me if it's broken so bad I have to leave, it would need a total rework not, "we better just drop this one thing and go on with everything else."

Isn't it probable that the one thing happened partially because of the way other things were being done?

So yeah I think denominations are a personal thing kind of like, favorite color, it's something you should choose for yourself but kind of unimportant, no point bickering about them.

I'll go now.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Jenos Ridan on Tue May 08, 2007 5:20 pm

2dimes wrote:Ok, thanks Jenos. Like I said I just wanted to hear what real people have to say about their denominations.

If I wanted the official blurb or wikipidia I'd go scope them.

I try to be accurate when I speak of matters of church. Misunderstanding on this point are a royal pain.

jay_a2j wrote:In summary, there are probably no denominations that are 100% correct in what they believe or maybe all of them are correct. Denominations are man-made, which is why I try to steer clear of them. The sad thing is no matter what your denomination is, as long as they point you to Jesus the rest doesn't matter. Too bad we can't tear down the walls of denomination and just love God. :D

Tell that to the ones that beg to differ :P !
My church doesn't do any name-calling, but our elders have spoken of other churches being somewhat lax and meak about the Word. "The Gospel of Salvation", is the oft-repeated saying, as apposed to the "Gospel of Transformation". All demoninations are good at saving, few are good at the walk after salvation. But I agree, there such only be one church.

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sat May 12, 2007 2:59 am

Jeepers, did another post just up and die on me again?

Private Jenos Ridan

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sun May 13, 2007 5:39 am

Jenos Ridan wrote:Jeepers, did another post just up and die on me again?

Hello?

Private Jenos Ridan

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,