Why Stiffer Gun Control/Bannings Are In Order

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Why Stiffer Gun Control/Bannings Are In Order

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am

patches70 wrote:Suicide is not against the law. You won't find anyone in prison for attempted suicide.
It is illegal in the US to assist someone in a suicide. One can go to jail for that, but if a person attempts suicide, the cops take that person into custody and deliver them to a mental health ward for observation. Against your will even, as attempted suicide is a sign of mental illness. Up to 96 hours one would be observed and after that it would be determined if the person requires treatment or is released, this decision is made by the doctors usually, not the cops.

To be clear, what I was obliquely referencing above (and perhaps TGD too) was actually physician-assisted suicide. That is what I believe ought to be legal, but it is a subject for a different thread.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:53 am

Metsfanmax wrote:Consider this: what is the logical reason why suicide rates are correlated with gun ownerships? Unless there is absolutely no causation between the two (unlikely, given the raw amount of data we have and what we know about those who attempt suicide), then we have to figure out why it is that increased gun ownership leads to more gun-inflicted suicides. That is what the two authors attempt to do in the first couple of paragraphs; they cite a study that shows that 70% of suicide attempts happen less than one hour after the decision to commit suicide occurs. This is a direct refutation of the narrative in which a person who commits suicide always rationally sets their plan in stone and then coldly finds a method of execution. Backing this up is their observation that "more than 90% of people who survive a suicide attempt... do not go on to die by suicide." It suggests that if we could find some way of limiting access to tools for the impulsive suicides (or find ways to slow down the attempt, e.g. gun lockers), that we could substantially decrease the number of suicides that occur.

Right, and the latter suggestion is not limited to guns. I've seen the PSA-type videos on locking up pharmaceuticals.

Metsfanmax wrote:Interesting question. I think that it is not relevant to the general conclusion of the study, but it is probably very relevant in determining how the various states implement a policy that best suits their attempt to limit the number of suicides caused by gunshot wound.

Interesting.

I cannot prove my hypothesis because my firm does not let me get search results from the words "firearm" or "gun." However, my hypothesis is that the "homicide by gun" rate is higher in the states that have lower rates of firearm ownership than in the state that have higher rates of firearm ownership. What conclusions can we draw from that data? Can we draw the same conclusions? On the one hand, we have data showing that higher rates of gun ownership leads to higher rates of suicide by gun (and suicide generally), therefore banning guns would make sense in limiting suicides. On the other hand, my hypothesis is that the data will show that higher rates of gun ownership leads to lower rates of homicide by gun, therefore mandating gun ownership would make sense in limiting homicides.

Wiki, which does not have all the data I want, provides that the states mentioned for low gun suicide rates, have the following gun homicide rates:

- Hawaii - 0.51 (47th)
- Massachusetts - 1.53
- Rhode Island - 1.48
- New Jersey - 2.65
- Connecticut - 2.60
- New York - 2.67

I will continue to develop this more.
Sergeant thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby patches70 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
patches70 wrote:Suicide is not against the law. You won't find anyone in prison for attempted suicide.
It is illegal in the US to assist someone in a suicide. One can go to jail for that, but if a person attempts suicide, the cops take that person into custody and deliver them to a mental health ward for observation. Against your will even, as attempted suicide is a sign of mental illness. Up to 96 hours one would be observed and after that it would be determined if the person requires treatment or is released, this decision is made by the doctors usually, not the cops.

To be clear, what I was obliquely referencing above (and perhaps TGD too) was actually physician-assisted suicide. That is what I believe ought to be legal, but it is a subject for a different thread.

I must have misread, I thought someone had wrote that attempted suicide was illegal or criminal, which is not true.

As you were.
Corporal patches70

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Night Strike wrote:I have not heard anyone take umbrage to Obama finally doing his job and filling necessary governmental posts. The mandatory background checks for everybody could become extremely onerous when private individuals are trying to sell their guns to other people.

On the way home from work last night I listened to a conservative talk radio station (I usually listen to sports talk radio, but I had enough of the Chip Kelly debate). The entirety of the calls (in Philadelphia, mind you, not a rural hotspot) involved the president, the NRA, tyranny, guns, and the taking away of said guns. Most of the calls were impassioned people who could barely form coherent sentences. Where do you think they became impassioned (or ensorcelled, most likely)? Fox News? Rush Limbaugh? Mark Levin? Sean Hannity? Glenn Beck?

Word of the Day. Thanks, TGD.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Night Strike wrote:I have not heard anyone take umbrage to Obama finally doing his job and filling necessary governmental posts. The mandatory background checks for everybody could become extremely onerous when private individuals are trying to sell their guns to other people.

On the way home from work last night I listened to a conservative talk radio station (I usually listen to sports talk radio, but I had enough of the Chip Kelly debate). The entirety of the calls (in Philadelphia, mind you, not a rural hotspot) involved the president, the NRA, tyranny, guns, and the taking away of said guns. Most of the calls were impassioned people who could barely form coherent sentences. Where do you think they became impassioned (or ensorcelled, most likely)? Fox News? Rush Limbaugh? Mark Levin? Sean Hannity? Glenn Beck?

People become more impassioned whenever they hear that the government wants to directly regulate their personal activities and rights. We should have more people become passionate about protecting their Constitutional rights, not fewer. Gun ownership and use is a Constitutional right. We don't need more laws that will keep more law-abiding citizens from owning the guns they want to own. We already ban automatic and heavy weapons; we don't need to ban more weapons simply because some politicians think they look scary.

Yes, this is the rhetoric that I heard last night.

It appears, at least from this post, that your point is that the government wants to ban scary-looking weapons and that you don't want them to ban scary-looking weapons. So the sticking point is the scary-looking weapons issue.

Considering gun control advocates don't even use the proper terminology to discuss the guns they want to ban (equating assault with semi-automatic and automatic), I think "scary-looking weapons" is more accurate than what they use.

thegreekdog wrote:The sticking point is not your constitutional rights and yet that's all the conservatives are discussing at this point. You still have the right to own the same weapons, they just look different. Frankly, I think conservatives could score some points by sighing and saying, "Yeah, we should ban these scary-looking weapons." Protecting them doesn't really do you any good; you just look like morons and crazy people since you're not actually arguing for anything substantive.

And after those are banned, they'll work to ban handguns. The encroachment on Constitutional rights never ends for progressives, so we have to draw the line somewhere. The line is currently drawn at banning automatic and heavy weapons. There's absolutely no reason to ban more.

thegreekdog wrote:Also, regulation is perfectly constitutional and legitimate. So I'm not sure why there's outrage against these types of items. Let me ask you this Night Strike - are you in favor of waiting periods and restrictions comparable to regular purchases of guns for gun show purchases of guns? If not, why not? What is the constitutional difference between purchasing a gun from a store and purchasing a gun from a gun show?

Regulations cannot infringe on Constitutional rights, especially when the 2nd amendment specifically states "shall not be infringed". We cannot continue regulating our right to own and carry guns until that right is gone.

Waiting periods are stupid and should not be mandated. If I pay for a product, I expect to receive it immediately (knowing of course if something has to be shipped, etc.). The government shouldn't get to dictate which products I have to buy and then wait days to receive. As for background checks, I already stated that forcing every private individual to call up the FBI and wait for a background check is quite onerous. If businesses sell at gun shows, then they should still be required to carry out the background checks. However, if I own a gun and wish to go sell it to someone, I should have that ability, just like how I don't have to get a license or authorization for anything else I want to sell.
Captain Night Strike

Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Night Strike wrote:Considering gun control advocates don't even use the proper terminology to discuss the guns they want to ban (equating assault with semi-automatic and automatic), I think "scary-looking weapons" is more accurate than what they use.

I agree. It's either moronic or disengenous, depending on who is relaying the message.

Night Strike wrote:And after those are banned, they'll work to ban handguns. The encroachment on Constitutional rights never ends for progressives, so we have to draw the line somewhere. The line is currently drawn at banning automatic and heavy weapons. There's absolutely no reason to ban more.

But again, the ban wouldn't actually change gun ownership. It merely bans scary looking weapons. You can use the same exact weapon and paint it pink and you're good to go. So why fight that kind of law? You are using up all your political capital fighting something that is ineffective.

Night Strike wrote:Regulations cannot infringe on Constitutional rights, especially when the 2nd amendment specifically states "shall not be infringed". We cannot continue regulating our right to own and carry guns until that right is gone.

Waiting periods are stupid and should not be mandated. If I pay for a product, I expect to receive it immediately (knowing of course if something has to be shipped, etc.). The government shouldn't get to dictate which products I have to buy and then wait days to receive. As for background checks, I already stated that forcing every private individual to call up the FBI and wait for a background check is quite onerous. If businesses sell at gun shows, then they should still be required to carry out the background checks. However, if I own a gun and wish to go sell it to someone, I should have that ability, just like how I don't have to get a license or authorization for anything else I want to sell.

Regulations can infringe on Constitutional rights. There are examples of this with respect to free speech rights, self-incrimination rights, religious rights, privacy rights, and voting rights. Your rights across the board are subject to regulation.

You should absolutely not have the ability to sell a gun to anyone. Most guns used in crimes here in Philadelphia were illegally obtained. What does that mean? That means that someone purchased a gun legally and then immediately sold it to someone who used it in a crime. It's called a straw man purchase.

A lot of gun advocates, and maybe you, live in this idyllic world where bad things don't happen with respect to guns. Guns cannot be left unregulated. Your agrument for deregulation (and the relevant infringement upon constitutional rights) would call for the deregulation of bazookas, for example. Do you, Night Strike, want the deregulation of bazookas? You accuse gun control advocates of slippery slope... can the same be said for you?
Sergeant thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Night Strike wrote: As for background checks, I already stated that forcing every private individual to call up the FBI and wait for a background check is quite onerous. If businesses sell at gun shows, then they should still be required to carry out the background checks. However, if I own a gun and wish to go sell it to someone, I should have that ability, just like how I don't have to get a license or authorization for anything else I want to sell.

Actually, you can't buy a prescription drug and then resell it without violating a law, even if you want to sell it.

Restaurants can't buy fish from jo-fisher and resell it in their restaurant, even if they want to because they think it's fresher that way - not unless jo-fisher is commercially licensed himself; which also means jo-fisher can't catch a fish and sell it without a license. At least, not legally.

That said, I agree with you about individuals and background checks. The problem is the "loophole" of someone without a record (probably need to add "yet" to that statement) buying something and then selling it to someone when they know the someone is not legally supposed to have a gun//could not buy one himself.

But I get weary of folks looking for all the loopholes and using those to violate the intentions of laws, and I get weary of governments trying to over-regulate to close all the loopholes when those really only hurt those who would do things legally and morally.

No matter what law is written, criminals are gonna break it. I have issue with laws suddenly making law-abiding citizens pay the price for the criminals because the criminals are breaking laws.

Just go after the criminals, dangit, and leave me alone. STOP insisting I wear a seatbelt or get a ticket, whether I wear a seatbelt or not isn't going to hurt ANYONE else. Meanwhile, you're pulling someone over bc of no seatbelt and letting someone who didn't use a turn signal go scott free - while, their refusal to signal COULD hurt someone else.

And STOP trying to say my gun of any type should be illegal because some dickwad somewhere did wrong things with a gun. Go find the dickwads and stop THEM, and leave me alone.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (7)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Regulations can infringe on Constitutional rights. There are examples of this with respect to free speech rights, self-incrimination rights, religious rights, privacy rights, and voting rights. Your rights across the board are subject to regulation.

You should absolutely not have the ability to sell a gun to anyone. Most guns used in crimes here in Philadelphia were illegally obtained. What does that mean? That means that someone purchased a gun legally and then immediately sold it to someone who used it in a crime. It's called a straw man purchase.

A lot of gun advocates, and maybe you, live in this idyllic world where bad things don't happen with respect to guns. Guns cannot be left unregulated. Your agrument for deregulation (and the relevant infringement upon constitutional rights) would call for the deregulation of bazookas, for example. Do you, Night Strike, want the deregulation of bazookas? You accuse gun control advocates of slippery slope... can the same be said for you?

According to the FBI, only 2.2% of homicides in this country are called "justified."

But NS reminded me of this old quote I read a million years ago:
President Millard Fillmore 1850 wrote:"It is an existing evil for which we are not responsible. We must endure it, and give it such protection as is guaranteed by the Constitution."

stahrgazer wrote:No matter what law is written, criminals are gonna break it. I have issue with laws suddenly making law-abiding citizens pay the price for the criminals because the criminals are breaking laws.

Just go after the criminals, dangit, and leave me alone. STOP insisting I wear a seatbelt or get a ticket, whether I wear a seatbelt or not isn't going to hurt ANYONE else. Meanwhile, you're pulling someone over bc of no seatbelt and letting someone who didn't use a turn signal go scott free - while, their refusal to signal COULD hurt someone else

This is a terrible argument. Why should we have any laws at all? Why should you pay taxes for police or firemen? You don't start fires, that funding should be other people's responsibility, right?
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby KoolBak on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 am

I believe Star referred ONLY to Gun Control regs that punish honest people and do nothing to criminals. The seatbelt / helmet was an example, which I also DETEST. I taught my children to be safe but, dammit, I don't want to have to wear that shit all the time. I did learn, however, WHY they passed those laws.....

I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

Anyway...I liked your post Star....back to the ropes.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant KoolBak

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:44 am

KoolBak wrote:I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

You mean for our checkbooks. We are the ones who pay the taxes.

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
KoolBak wrote:I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

Actually, at the federal level, we only pay 60% of the costs. They just charge the rest to future generations.
Captain Night Strike

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Postby KoolBak on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Indeed....thanks for the clarification ;)
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant KoolBak

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Faith in the State wrote:

I wonder if an impartial cost-benefit analysis was conducted in order to determine if the current expenditures are more effective and actually save the taxpayers more money--compared to simply paying a $200 ticket.

Here, we can invent several assumptions about the government:

(1) Why, yes, BBS. Bureaucracies fiercely pursue cost-saving methods--regardless of how much it highlights how unnecessary that bureaucracy is and regardless of how much it lowers the budget, and the prestige, power, salaries, and what not of its bureaucrats. Never mind what other bureaucrats have told you how it is!

(2) I doubt it. Each bureaucracy fights to maintain and to expand its current budget--regardless of the cost-effectiveness. They're using other people's money which was gained involuntarily, so the use of such money tends not to be judicious. The many bureaucracies would reject an impartial agency which would monitor them for cost-effectiveness, but they'd be open to an 'impartial' agency to give them the guise of 'doing it right'.

The organization of government does not behave like businesses in the market, so satisfying customers becomes exceedingly difficult without the benefit of making decisions based on changes in profit. It may be the case that issuing $200 or $500 tickets is the most cost-effective manner, but such avenues of discovery are curbed in favor of more 'profitable' endeavors (e.g. expensive TV programs hosted by well-paid doctors which supposedly and without a doubt decrease total Human Vegetables--which the government covers and not including those covered by private insurance and by non-public individuals).
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:58 pm

I wasn't commenting on whether it was the right choice. Just that whatever decision is made is ultimately going to affect us and how much we pay in taxes.

General Contribution (7)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I wasn't commenting on whether it was the right choice. Just that whatever decision is made is ultimately going to affect us and how much we pay in taxes.

Aye, and around 12PM it is noon.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 pm

KoolBak wrote:I believe Star referred ONLY to Gun Control regs that punish honest people and do nothing to criminals. The seatbelt / helmet was an example, which I also DETEST. I taught my children to be safe but, dammit, I don't want to have to wear that shit all the time. I did learn, however, WHY they passed those laws.....

I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

Legalized Euthanasia would help those things.

I mean, if someone's family can foot the bill to keep a vegetable alive, fine; otherwise, let the person move on.. and if there is no "on" well, how many of you would really like to exist like that, being force-fed via stomach tube and intravenous sugar, with machines pumping your lungs? Dr. Kavorkian understood that there are MANY who don't want to continue with whatever conditions they had, and I'd think that was much more humanitarian than what the laws currently force.

But, Mets, if they do have stiffer gun control, you'd better believe our taxes will go up in order to pay for more enforcers (police, sheriffs, FBI, ATF, etc.) to sniff out those with the wrong firearm or wrong ammo clips.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Medals: 57
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (7)

Postby Symmetry on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
KoolBak wrote:I believe Star referred ONLY to Gun Control regs that punish honest people and do nothing to criminals. The seatbelt / helmet was an example, which I also DETEST. I taught my children to be safe but, dammit, I don't want to have to wear that shit all the time. I did learn, however, WHY they passed those laws.....

Legalized Euthanasia would help those things.

I mean, if someone's family can foot the bill to keep a vegetable alive, fine; otherwise, let the person move on.. and if there is no "on" well, how many of you would really like to exist like that, being force-fed via stomach tube and intravenous sugar, with machines pumping your lungs? Dr. Kavorkian understood that there are MANY who don't want to continue with whatever conditions they had, and I'd think that was much more humanitarian than what the laws currently force.

But, Mets, if they do have stiffer gun control, you'd better believe our taxes will go up in order to pay for more enforcers (police, sheriffs, FBI, ATF, etc.) to sniff out those with the wrong firearm or wrong ammo clips.

Why? Wouldn't responsible gun owners try to follow the law?
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:Why? Wouldn't responsible gun owners try to follow the law?

They're the only ones who WILL be following the law. The criminals will just keep doing what they are doing knowing there will be fewer victims with guns around.
Captain Night Strike

Postby Ray Rider on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Why? Wouldn't responsible gun owners try to follow the law?

They're the only ones who WILL be following the law. The criminals will just keep doing what they are doing knowing there will be fewer victims with guns around.

In general yes, although I have many friends who are normally law-abiding citizens in every way; but when the Canadian government passed the long-gun registry law a number of years ago, many of them simply refused to register simply because they believed the government was overstepping its bounds and infringing on their rights and freedoms. Some organizations estimated that around 70% of firearms were never registered.

And as Stargazer mentioned, costs drastically increased from the initial estimate of $2 million to over $2 billion dollars and rising before our current government scrapped it (thankfully).

If that was the result in the relatively non-violent and liberal nation of Canada, what do you think the result would be if a similar program were attempted in the US?
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby unscrupulous2013 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:We aren't even talking about taking away all guns. We're talking about controlling what guns can be sold and who can have access to them.

1) No more handgun sales to the public, but handguns that are already in private ownership can still be bought, sold, inherited, and traded.

2) No more sales of military/assault weapons, clips, jackets, ect.

3) Most guns sold are sold through gun shows where sales are not controlled. There are no background checks, allowing gun manufacturers to sell indirectly to criminals. So either we need to:
    a) strictly enforce background checks
    b) allow victims of gun violence to sue gun manufacturers
    c) ban gun shows

4) Anyone who houses or has an unsound or unstable mind may not have a gun in the home. No exceptions.

Is this not a respectable compromise? This is fair and addresses the problems that both sides have. Gun enthusiasts can keep all the rifles and shotguns that they like, while liberals can rest easier knowing that insane and violent people wont have access to handguns or assault rifles. You even get to keep your hand guns.
If you don't budge an inch you wont get anything you want at all. Because Democrats have repeatedly shown, over and over, that if you wont compromise then we will wait and wait until we have the majority. And then Conservatives get nothing.

I just thought we could all take a sec to LAUGH OUT-FUCKING LOUD :lol:
New Recruit unscrupulous2013

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:13 am

Night Strike wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Also, regulation is perfectly constitutional and legitimate. So I'm not sure why there's outrage against these types of items. Let me ask you this Night Strike - are you in favor of waiting periods and restrictions comparable to regular purchases of guns for gun show purchases of guns? If not, why not? What is the constitutional difference between purchasing a gun from a store and purchasing a gun from a gun show?

Regulations cannot infringe on Constitutional rights

This is a dumb position, Night Strike. There are perfectly valid reasons why the right to, for instance, free speech is infringed on. There is nothing wrong with this.

Night Strike wrote:especially when the 2nd amendment specifically states "shall not be infringed". We cannot continue regulating our right to own and carry guns until that right is gone.

Yet you FAVOR infringing on the 2nd Amendment rights of some people THAT YOU HAPPEN TO THINK SHOULDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT. You SUPPORT the infringement. Therefore, you have no leg to stand on in regards to stating that infringement of the 2nd Amendment cannot happen.

Night Strike wrote:As for background checks, I already stated that forcing every private individual to call up the FBI and wait for a background check is quite onerous.

Tough shit. Price of doing business.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:19 am

stahrgazer wrote:But, Mets, if they do have stiffer gun control, you'd better believe our taxes will go up in order to pay for more enforcers (police, sheriffs, FBI, ATF, etc.) to sniff out those with the wrong firearm or wrong ammo clips.

Maybe they could get them from the failed War on Drugs.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:20 am

but of course, ask someone to show their ID when it comes time to elect our leaders who make policy that affects our everyday life and pocketbooks and workplace as well as countless other areas, and it's screaming bloody murder and racism....
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:21 am

Phatscotty wrote:but of course, ask someone to show their ID when it comes time to elect our leaders who make policy that affects our everyday life, and it's screaming bloody murder and racism....

Yes, why ARE you a hypocrite in that arena, Phatscotty?

Postby Night Strike on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:48 am

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:As for background checks, I already stated that forcing every private individual to call up the FBI and wait for a background check is quite onerous.

Tough shit. Price of doing business.

Most aren't interstate commerce, so the federal government doesn't hold jurisdiction.
Captain Night Strike

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five