Repeal Gun Free School Zones!?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should Schools Have an Armed Professional on Campus?

Yes
26%
Sounds like a good idea
8%
Maybe
3%
Sounds like a bad idea
14%
No
46%
IDK
3%

Total votes : 65

Re: Repeal Gun Free School Zones!?

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 pm

AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Image

Now this is at least a sane idea.

However, without training it would be insane.

The issue of training is clearly addressed. Where do you come up with these responses?

Actually, that's clearly just a qualifier as part of my entire response, and obviously so.

Where do you come up with being so unable to understand basic and obvious things?

And if you read that closely, the veterans they are talking about here, are not necessarily the same ones trained in protecting people. They could just be trained Marines, which does not automatically train them for being at a school with young children every day for years on end.

Seriously, please tell me you really are a troll and not as unintelligent as you seem. Would you seriously automatically employ every Marine with security and infantry skills to look over your children? Maybe you would, but I bet even some of the Marines themselves would know better that it would take more training than that.

Of course people who are gonna carry guns in our schools need to be trained. I doubt you will find a single person who would disagree with that. But you can pretend to bash me on that basis. you can do better is all

quick question: how will the reduction in consumption/production of arms reduce crime?
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Postby AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Image

Now this is at least a sane idea.

However, without training it would be insane.

The issue of training is clearly addressed. Where do you come up with these responses?

Actually, that's clearly just a qualifier as part of my entire response, and obviously so.

Where do you come up with being so unable to understand basic and obvious things?

And if you read that closely, the veterans they are talking about here, are not necessarily the same ones trained in protecting people. They could just be trained Marines, which does not automatically train them for being at a school with young children every day for years on end.

Seriously, please tell me you really are a troll and not as unintelligent as you seem. Would you seriously automatically employ every Marine with security and infantry skills to look over your children? Maybe you would, but I bet even some of the Marines themselves would know better that it would take more training than that.

Of course people who are gonna carry guns in our schools need to be trained. I doubt you will find a single person who would disagree with that. But you can pretend to bash me on that basis. you can do better is all

quick question: how will the reduction in consumption/production of arms reduce crime?

And again, thats why I put it in there, as a qualifier that specifically states training is necessary, before blindly suggesting to just send Marines in. You are then, in fact, bashing me for adding what, Phatscotty: "[not] a single person who would disagree with ," I wasnt bashing you on that in any way. It wasnt even directed at you, but the more sane people to show I wasnt blindly suggesting Marine guards without training. I was, however, bashing on you for being too stupid to realize it was just a qualifying statement, in return for you bashing me, for just being thorough with my response.

Also, I already answered that follow up question and quoted it above when you asked it the first time........ :roll:
(im not bashing you here, just pointing out the obvious, again.)
Last edited by AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"

http://i.imgur.com/zU8yLiU.gif
Lieutenant AAFitz

Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
comic boy wrote:TGD
I wouldn't have the least idea how present levels of gun violence in the USA compare with previous centuries , you got any stats ?
Gun related deaths are related to the quantity and availability of guns, period. Would homocides stop without the availability of guns , of course not , but accidental deaths and spree killings would almost certainly decrease.

Yeah, I think that would be the case as well, I'm just not sure. Unfortunately, my firm has an automatic block on any searches involving the word "gun" on google (this is also related to reason I cannot see many Hot and Sexy pictures in that thread) and wikipedia only has statistics from 1976 to 2004.

Here is a link to the graph in Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ushom ... weapon.svg

It details homicides (which include suicides and accidental killings) by weapon type. Handguns account for by far the most deaths and reached a peak in 1993 of about 14,000. "Other guns" (not sure what is in that category) accounted for far less (less than knives, for example) and had a peak in 1980 of about 4,000.

I suspect that the legality and availability of guns do have a relation to homicides in the United States. That seems like common sense. But, ultimately, the question is whether there is some other factor at work. That could be anything from cultural issues generally and criminality generally to poor schools to violent video games and movies.

On the suicide issue, easy access to a method is certainly a big part, It's common sense that someone who wants to die will find a way, but it's one of those areas where common sense is wrong.

I may have misheard this, but wasn't there a study that showed that different types of people tended to commit suicides in different ways? For example, women wouldn't, generally, shoot themselves, while men would.

To a large degree, men use guns, women use pills. Women tend to make it easier to clean up, while the men dont give a f*ck....statistically speaking.

More importantly, of those that try and fail to commit suicide, something like 90% dont ever try again, which means suicide is usually an impulse, and without a sure-fire way of ending it like a gun, more people would possibly live through their attempt, never to try again.

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"

Lieutenant AAFitz

Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)

Postby AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm

comic boy wrote:Crime is not driven only by the easy availability of guns but firearms are the easiest way to escalate the level of violence and by extension lead to more deaths than would otherwise occur. I would venture that if penalties for waving a gun in public were stiffened , and the penalties for getting stoned were lessened , then US jails would be less crowded and criminal violence would decline.

But then unemployment would go up.

Lieutenant AAFitz

Postby AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:13 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
comic boy wrote:I dont advocate a gun ban , its probably unworkable in any case , but in the long term I would like to see a mentality shift . The idea that one has to carry a firearm to feel safe , the notion that owning a gun enhances ones freedom, the fear mongering propoganda spewed out by the NRA , these are all highly negative mindsets.

These ideas (carrying a firearm to feel safe, enhancing freedom, fear mongering propaganda) are not ideas perpetuated by anyone other than gun owners who do not use their firearms for any illegal purpose. People committing crimes with guns are not carrying firearms to feel safe, do not feel that firearms enhance their freedom, and are not fear mongering. As someone smarter than me wrote above:

To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.

That's completely untrue. Many things are illegal because they are dangerous and can be used by criminals to cause great harm.

Further, there is absolutely no doubt that people who have committed crimes with their guns, also argued for their right to carry those arms as well.

And it is absolutely true, that by you fighting for a freedom to carry a gun, you steal my freedom of feeling safe without one.

Can you provide me some more examples of items that are illegal because they can be used by criminals to cuase great harm? I doubt there are many things.

To the extent you can find many things that are illegal because they can be used by criminals to cause great harm, my response to that is that we should make those things legal. Just because there are other laws that denigrate the rights of the law-abiding in favor of protecting society from criminals does not make any of them right.

I don't see a lot of murderers, attempted murderers, or accused in Philadelphia arguing about their right to carry firearms.

Then you should purchase a gun, which is legal.

Stinger missiles, armed tanks, plutonium, nerve gas(unless you buy some insecticide), hand grenades...and those are just the joke answers

We should definitely give out missiles to everyone, as long as they promise not to use them to hurt anyone.

Its not fair that I cant go buy one.

Lieutenant AAFitz

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:14 pm

The Progressives will never overturn the 2nd Amendment. They will be labeled traitors to America and defeated before it could ever happen.
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Postby AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Phatscotty wrote:The Progressives will never defeat the 2nd Amendment. They will be labeled traitors to America and defeated before it could ever happen.

Ive labeled you as a traitor to America several times, as I truly think you are to the very ideals it was actually based on.

Im sure they will care as much as you do.

Hitler labeled the Jews as traitors to Germany as well.

I think your point is kind of silly.
Last edited by AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieutenant AAFitz

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm

AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:The Progressives will never defeat the 2nd Amendment. They will be labeled traitors to America and defeated before it could ever happen.

Ive labeled you as a traitor to America several times, as I truly think you are to the very ideals it was actually based on.

Just keep pushing to take away American's rights. Your actions will speak louder than words
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:

Just keep pushing to take away American's rights. Your actions will speak louder than words

Again, Im not pushing to take away rights. I'm pushing to preserve them.... and really, aren't I just using words here anyways?

Lieutenant AAFitz

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:20 pm

AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:

Again, Im not pushing to take away rights. I'm pushing to preserve them.

Which rights are you trying to preserve (without severely violating others)?
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AAFitz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:

Which rights are you trying to preserve?

In addition to the many you fight to steal, the right not to have assault rifles available to wipe out schoolchildren.

And again, I must ask...arent I just using words here...what "actions" are you refering to.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The constitution use of "right to bear arms" no more makes specifically owning an assault rifle a right, than it does owning a nuclear missile.

Lieutenant AAFitz

Postby stahrgazer on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm

I like how the airlines do it. Pilots volunteer for an extensive program that, when completed, allows them to carry in the cockpit. Schools could, similarly, have teachers, administrators, etc., volunteer to complete a similar extensive training program to allow them to carry in the classroom.

"Who" is not publicly disclosed, so the potential is, any/all. Thus, schools are no longer totally defenseless, and maniac cowards might choose other targets.

Most assuredly, maniacs will always choose targets, and most assuredly, they'll find a way be it knives, guns, bombs, poison (remember Tylenol and other over-the-counter pill poisonings years back?) But at least kids in school would no longer be totally defenseless sitting ducks because the prof might be packing.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (7)

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 pm

stahrgazer wrote:I like how the airlines do it. Pilots volunteer for an extensive program that, when completed, allows them to carry in the cockpit. Schools could, similarly, have teachers, administrators, etc., volunteer to complete a similar extensive training program to allow them to carry in the classroom.

"Who" is not publicly disclosed, so the potential is, any/all. Thus, schools are no longer totally defenseless, and maniac cowards might choose other targets.

Most assuredly, maniacs will always choose targets, and most assuredly, they'll find a way be it knives, guns, bombs, poison (remember Tylenol and other over-the-counter pill poisonings years back?) But at least kids in school would no longer be totally defenseless sitting ducks because the prof might be packing.

Sounds great! I fully back it!
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 pm

“Gun Free” Chicago Ranks #1 as the Deadliest Alpha World City

NBC Chicago reports on some of those “Chicago values” the city’s Mayor Rahm Emanuel (Democrat, naturally) touted, justifying his alderman’s refusal to grant a license to a Chick-fil-A potential franchisee.

Chicago likes to compare itself to other world cities, so Ward Room thought it would find out how we rank in violence. It turns out no one can top us. Among what are considered Alpha world cities, Chicago has the highest murder rate — higher even than the Third World metropolises of Mexico City and Sao Paolo.

Chicago’s murder spree of 19.4 per 100,000 is more than three times that of New York’s (6 per 100,000) and more than two and a half times of Los Angeles’ (7.5 per 100,000), its closest American competitors. Caracas, Venezuela, which apparently is not an Alpha world city–thank you Hugo Chavez–has a higher murder rate of 130 per 100,000.

Read more: http://clashdaily.com/2012/12/gun-free- ... z2FYxx7251
Get more Clash on ClashDaily.com, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 am

AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:

Which rights are you trying to preserve?

In addition to the many you fight to steal, the right not to have assault rifles available to wipe out schoolchildren.

And again, I must ask...arent I just using words here...what "actions" are you refering to.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The constitution use of "right to bear arms" no more makes specifically owning an assault rifle a right, than it does owning a nuclear missile.

R U Sure?
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:I like how the airlines do it. Pilots volunteer for an extensive program that, when completed, allows them to carry in the cockpit. Schools could, similarly, have teachers, administrators, etc., volunteer to complete a similar extensive training program to allow them to carry in the classroom.

After thinking about it, I'm not sure it'd work too well in a classroom. Kids these days are more and more violent in general. I wouldn't like to have a program like this in place to protect the kids who gang up on a "packing" professor, take his weapon, and use it against other kids in the classrooms or halls, but I'm sure it would happen if a program like this were instituted.

And what if we said "some principles" or "administrators" instead of some teachers? Well, the chance of kids getting to those arms is less, but would that fear-factor be enough to keep the maniacs at bay?

Then there are those who say, "hire more armed security/policemen to patrol the schools." Sounds great, right? Who wants double school real estate taxes to pay for this? Given the current "fiscal cliff" in the news about whether to raise taxes and reduce spending; raise taxes and not reduce spending; only reduce spending... seems pretty clear to me that no one really would wish to pay for this.

Maybe some parents could volunteer for a program where they get trained and registered and get to sit in their cars (locked) in front of the schools with their nearly-assault-but-not-quite-technically-assault-rifles ready to shoot any perp who'd come try to shoot the kids. Citizen patrol/neighborhood watch type. But wait, I live in Florida, where a citizen on neighborhood watch may or may not have illegally assaulted and killed someone who wasn't causing any trouble, out of fear he would, or racism (both arguments have been brought up about why he did it if it wasn't self-defense.) Trayvon Martin is the victim I'm referring to here, if you hadn't guessed.

There's no 100% solution.

But, signs, "gun free zone" really do make places like that targets for maniacal cowards who want to be violent and make the news.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (8)

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:21 am

stahrgazer wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

After thinking about it, I'm not sure it'd work too well in a classroom. Kids these days are more and more violent in general. I wouldn't like to have a program like this in place to protect the kids who gang up on a "packing" professor, take his weapon, and use it against other kids in the classrooms or halls, but I'm sure it would happen if a program like this were instituted.

And what if we said "some principles" or "administrators" instead of some teachers? Well, the chance of kids getting to those arms is less, but would that fear-factor be enough to keep the maniacs at bay?

Then there are those who say, "hire more armed security/policemen to patrol the schools." Sounds great, right? Who wants double school real estate taxes to pay for this? Given the current "fiscal cliff" in the news about whether to raise taxes and reduce spending; raise taxes and not reduce spending; only reduce spending... seems pretty clear to me that no one really would wish to pay for this.

Maybe some parents could volunteer for a program where they get trained and registered and get to sit in their cars (locked) in front of the schools with their nearly-assault-but-not-quite-technically-assault-rifles ready to shoot any perp who'd come try to shoot the kids. Citizen patrol/neighborhood watch type. But wait, I live in Florida, where a citizen on neighborhood watch may or may not have illegally assaulted and killed someone who wasn't causing any trouble, out of fear he would, or racism (both arguments have been brought up about why he did it if it wasn't self-defense.) Trayvon Martin is the victim I'm referring to here, if you hadn't guessed.

There's no 100% solution.

But, signs, "gun free zone" really do make places like that targets for maniacal cowards who want to be violent and make the news.

I'm not sure that's the case. A person who enters a situation like this with the intent to die isn't going to be deterred by a sign, let alone one that says that it's not a place he'll be shot.

One of the worst killing sprees in recent US history occurred at a military base- Fort Hood in 2009.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 am

Symmetry wrote:But, signs, "gun free zone" really do make places like that targets for maniacal cowards who want to be violent and make the news.

I'm not sure that's the case. A person who enters a situation like this with the intent to die isn't going to be deterred by a sign, let alone one that says that it's not a place he'll be shot.

One of the worst killing sprees in recent US history occurred at a military base- Fort Hood in 2009.[/quote]

It's not the sign, it's the knowledge that they're sitting ducks. The Fort Hood shooting was a at a graduation ceremony, a time when the perp could be reasonably sure that most of the targets would not be well armed, so, again, "sitting ducks."
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 am

stahrgazer wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:But, signs, "gun free zone" really do make places like that targets for maniacal cowards who want to be violent and make the news.

One of the worst killing sprees in recent US history occurred at a military base- Fort Hood in 2009.

It's not the sign, it's the knowledge that they're sitting ducks. The Fort Hood shooting was a at a graduation ceremony, a time when the perp could be reasonably sure that most of the targets would not be well armed, so, again, "sitting ducks."

I'm pretty sure that a military base isn't a good target for "sitting ducks".

Could you restate your point? I don't know what you're saying about gun-free signs anymore.

stahrgazer wrote:But, signs, "gun free zone" really do make places like that targets for maniacal cowards who want to be violent and make the news.

stahrgazer wrote:It's not the sign, it's the knowledge that they're sitting ducks.

Are you saying they matter, or not?

You might also consider reading about the Fort Hood shooting for the "graduation ceremony" inaccuracy.

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Could you restate your point? I don't know what you're saying about gun-free signs anymore.

stahrgazer wrote:It's not the sign, it's the knowledge that they're sitting ducks.

You might also consider reading about the Fort Hood shooting for the "graduation ceremony" inaccuracy.

Maybe you should read about military bases. On most bases, only the MPs carry guns/ammo, the rest are usually locked away except when training is ongoing.

I did read about the Fort Hood shooting, An army psychologist with Muslim leanings didn't want to be deployed to the Middle East so "went postal." Some of the trainees were "graduating" the day he picked so it wasn't an inaccuracy, and since there was this ceremony going on there probably wasn't a lot of shooting training going on, so only a few MPs carrying to worry about at least until some damage was done.

To clarify my point about "gun free zones" - we all know what the "gun free zones" are, right? Areas where even those who have permits to carry concealed weapons, cannot legally bring them in. Thus, areas where there are likely to be no persons - or very few persons - shooting back. Thus, areas where there are a bunch of "sitting ducks," helpless in front of someone with the intention to do violence.

After 9/11 they instituted a program where pilots could volunteer to carry in the cockpit, so they have something to defend themselves, the passengers, the plane against folks intending to do violence with things like box cutters. It's a possible deterrent.

Few mass murders happen in police stations, because so many of them will be armed and the nutsoids know it, so they also know they cannot generate the fear they can where there's defenseless or nearly-defenseless "sitting ducks."

Get it now?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:22 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Maybe you should read about military bases. On most bases, only the MPs carry guns/ammo, the rest are usually locked away except when training is ongoing.

I did read about the Fort Hood shooting, An army psychologist with Muslim leanings didn't want to be deployed to the Middle East so "went postal." Some of the trainees were "graduating" the day he picked so it wasn't an inaccuracy, and since there was this ceremony going on there probably wasn't a lot of shooting training going on, so only a few MPs carrying to worry about at least until some damage was done.

To clarify my point about "gun free zones" - we all know what the "gun free zones" are, right? Areas where even those who have permits to carry concealed weapons, cannot legally bring them in. Thus, areas where there are likely to be no persons - or very few persons - shooting back. Thus, areas where there are a bunch of "sitting ducks," helpless in front of someone with the intention to do violence.

After 9/11 they instituted a program where pilots could volunteer to carry in the cockpit, so they have something to defend themselves, the passengers, the plane against folks intending to do violence with things like box cutters. It's a possible deterrent.

Few mass murders happen in police stations, because so many of them will be armed and the nutsoids know it, so they also know they cannot generate the fear they can where there's defenseless or nearly-defenseless "sitting ducks."

Get it now?

Not at all, you've clarified none of your points, and made others murkier. The Fort Hood shooting does not indicate that anyone was "graduating" that day, certainly not the people who were targeted, although I do note that you're backing away from that claim with the quotation marks.

Clearly the base's civilian police were armed, as one of them shot him, which goes against your claim that only MP's were carrying firearms.

Furthermore, even a school not designated as a gun free zone can suffer mass shootings- Columbine notably had people with guns.

Finally, there really is no conclusive evidence that concealed carry laws decrease violence.

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Stargahzer is doing an A+ job, even better than I can do. But Gaze doesn't have the rep that I do, so people do not constantly come at Gaze sideways with personal attacks either.

I don't think I have ever agreed with Gazer before, but it does give me comfort as I know there are a lot of pro-gun liberals out there who understand Freedom and Liberty. I had a liberal co-worker say to me a few months back "I might not agree with you on most of this stuff, but tell you what, if they come to take our guns, I will be standing right beside you"

Those are the real Liberals
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 am

thegreekdog wrote:Can you provide me some more examples of items that are illegal because they can be used by criminals to cuase great harm? I doubt there are many things.

Nuclear bombs, Cocaine, PCB, etc.

But more to the point, MANY things have limits, which is actually what is being proposed with guns. You can drive/opwn a car, but you cannot drive a race car on a normal road and cannot drive a normal car 100 MPH, or over 15 MPH near most schools.

Administering drugs is controlled, you have to be judged to have a need by a trained professional before you can obtain a perscription.

Even your profession requires limits. To legally declare yourself an attorney or tax expert you have to have passed some pretty hefty exams. Why? Because someone attempting to do the job without qualifications would cause people great harm... though some criminals certainly try to do so!

thegreekdog wrote:To the extent you can find many things that are illegal because they can be used by criminals to cause great harm, my response to that is that we should make those things legal. Just because there are other laws that denigrate the rights of the law-abiding in favor of protecting society from criminals does not make any of them right.

I don't see a lot of murderers, attempted murderers, or accused in Philadelphia arguing about their right to carry firearms.

Then you should purchase a gun, which is legal.

So you are fine with untrained people passing themselves off as attorneys? OR your average 16 year old driving a race car on the freeway at 100 MPH? Becuase that is one of they key points being made.. while people ought to be allowed to own guns, they also ought to have to demonstrate some knowledge of proper use and ability to use them. That, and some types of guns might not be appropriate for average people in everyday type situations. It might be appropriate to limit certain types of weapons to certain types of people.

Note .. I am not saying I agree to any specific limitation right now. I am saying that we need to discuss and talk about them without lapsing into "take one gun.. its the end of democracy" [not your argument, no] or even "criminals can misuse anything, so don't rely on laws to prevent it". [which does seem pretty much your argument] We cannot completely end criminal misuse, but laws can limit and control the potential for harm from such abuse to some extent. The question is not IF such limits are necessary, the question is which ones.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 am

Something like this might be very workable. One big problem, though, is that in any small town, who has the gun will be known relatively quickly. Big cities already tend to have schools as armed camps, for the most part. It would probably be most used in smaller towns where the secrecy part would effectively be minimal.

Still, this is an idea work thinking about.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby Timminz on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:49 am

jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
Captain Timminz

Medals: 56
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five