Conquer Club

Come ye faithful and ye atheist rabble.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Come ye faithful and ye atheist rabble.

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 pm

No 10,000 years show people fucking each other over for their own interest, it doesn't refute the point, it reinforces it.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:46 pm

john9blue wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
john9blue wrote:so what you're saying is that it's programmers all the way down? :P that argument has never really appealed to me simply because particles cannot (from what we know) be infinitely small, and therefore it can't really be an infinite chain downwards unless we can simulate particles to be smaller than they actually are, or simulate space to be bigger than it actually is.

The infinite chain is problematic. But we don't need the infinite chain. Even if from our vantage point we can only go 20 simulations deep before the 20th simulation is too simplistic to give rise to intelligent life, well even that would put the chances that we're on top at about what? 2% ?

if there is a bottom then there is probably a top

Yeah, but the chance that we're the top is small.

but the ultimate question of origin remains unanswered

Yes, but I wasn't that ambitious in my initial claims. I merely stated it was an argument for the existence of our deistic god.

God's god's god's god is another matter/ :p
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:49 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:No 10,000 years show people fucking each other over for their own interest

So then 10,000 years of history shows that acceptance of god does not lead to acceptance that "everyone was put here for a purpose, god is within them" and definitely does not lead to the conclusion that we should "treat each other well".
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 pm

10,000 years show that people who didn't believe this spent their life dominating others.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:54 pm

I don't need God to tell me to be a good boy.
And I don't need to follow the tenets of a holy book which includes, for instance,
"blessed shall he be that dashes the heads of their children against the rocks".
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:10,000 years show that people who didn't believe this spent their life dominating others.

Are you claiming that belief in god leads to those other beliefs or not?
That's what I thought you were saying in the first post.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:57 pm

It would appear people mistake religion and god.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:00 pm

I never said belief in religion, belief in religious leaders, belief in superiority because you feel you have a superior position bc you have a god or a superior god to others.

Perhaps you can read what I said, and perhaps you can even attempt to answer some of the questions I posed.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:I never said belief in religion, belief in religious leaders, belief in superiority because you feel you have a superior position bc you have a god or a superior god to others.

Perhaps you can read what I said, and perhaps you can even attempt to answer some of the questions I posed.

Belief in god will naturally lead to belief in your superiority when you realize that other people don't share your unique and 100% true insight about the universe. Certain scientific beliefs will cause the same things, but at least those have some grounding in reality.

All your post is just a story. You are telling a story about how belief in god is good for society, but you're not basing this on any facts or reasoned arguments, it's just a story. I can tell the exact opposite story from yours if you want, but it still won't be worth anything.

Anyway, if you wanna start this discussion in earnest, problem #1 is: define your god

In another thread you're talking about souls and afterlife which indicates your god probably isn't just "the universe". It also appears your god is not of the classic abrahamic variety. So please define what exactly you mean by god.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:29 pm

God is everything.

We are part of everything. We are equal parts of everything. Attacking any part is attacking the whole.

Being part of everything, we will always be part of everything.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:59 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:God is everything.

We are part of everything. We are equal parts of everything. Attacking any part is attacking the whole.

Being part of everything, we will always be part of everything.

Are you a physicalist?
If not what else is encompassed in "everything" other than the physical universe?
If yes where does the soul and afterlife talk come from?
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:00 pm

i've defined my position, if you don't want to define yours, that's ok.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:02 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:i've defined my position, if you don't want to define yours, that's ok.

You didn't ask me to define mine.

Also, just fyi passive-aggresive internet behaviour will fall flat on me. I encourage you to either drop it or upgrade it to full aggression.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby john9blue on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:05 pm

i recommend full aggression.

jonesthecurl wrote:I don't need God to tell me to be a good boy.

no, you just need a society influenced by religion to tell you that.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm

I posted a position and questions. You post misrepresentations of my position and therein say I'm wrong. Passive-aggressive, aggressive or non-aggressive, it doesn't make much difference, I am proposing, you are nitpicking. This thread asked us for our reasoning for or against god. I have followed through.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm

john9blue wrote:i recommend full aggression.

jonesthecurl wrote:I don't need God to tell me to be a good boy.

no, you just need a society influenced by religion to tell you that.

Perhaps, but this says nothing about whether religion is still necessary in the developed world. (hint: it's not)
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:14 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:I posted a position and questions. You post misrepresentations of my position and therein say I'm wrong. Passive-aggressive, aggressive or non-aggressive, it doesn't make much difference, I am proposing, you are nitpicking. This thread asked us for our reasoning for or against god. I have followed through.

I assume that by posting your opinion on this forum you are open to discussing it's validity. I had tried to refute one of your points when you said I misinterpreted you. So I've been trying to understand your position since.

It now seems that you are avoiding any clarifications regarding your position, both here and in the other thread. I wonder why this is. Is your position too fragile to survive debate perhaps?

Anyway, since you (sort-of) asked, my position (which is pretty obvious I think) is one of naturalism. This life is all there is, there is no ultimate purpose, our fate is ours to make, etc, etc.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Neoteny on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:16 pm

I like this thread. The best argument for god, I think, is the one about feeling Jesus pulsing in your heart of hearts, or however that goes. I think the human experience, and a certain amount of psychology, connects well with that concept for some reason. It's effective for that reason, and what I feel a lot of theism really boils down to. And necessarily so, or what's the point of it?
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Can you agree that everything comes from nothing?

If so, can you agree that inherent qualities in matter construct the world and we can reasonably decide that these are random or guided?

If so, what does the choice say about out interest? What does it say about our belief in a purpose?
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Can you agree that everything comes from nothing?

If so, can you agree that inherent qualities in matter construct the world and we can reasonably decide that these are random or guided?

If so, what does the choice say about out interest? What does it say about our belief in a purpose?

I think you should reply to Haggis, and possibly offer an apology, don't you?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:29 pm

I respect that you have an opinion.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Belief in god will naturally lead to belief in your superiority when you realize that other people don't share your unique and 100% true insight about the universe. Certain scientific beliefs will cause the same things, but at least those have some grounding in reality.

Reality, we can never define where we came from. If we say the big bang, it is no different from saying god, because you are saying that something was there. Where did this something come from, you are not saying. Reality is it will eventually come down to a choice, is it random, or is it guided. Do we just happen to be here because of the interrelation of matter which sprang from nothingness, or is the fact that matter has interrelation which has resulted in us some meaning. If, like me, you say it has meaning, then that meaning is god. There is no more grounding in taking one point than the other. Therefore there is no 100% that you mention, it will always be 50/50.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
All your post is just a story. You are telling a story about how belief in god is good for society, but you're not basing this on any facts or reasoned arguments, it's just a story. I can tell the exact opposite story from yours if you want, but it still won't be worth anything.

Shakespeare just wrote stories. He is quite well known, his critics aren't. Science is just a story. I have tried to post both sides of the story. I have tried to define my position through the sides and show where my conclusion comes from.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Anyway, if you wanna start this discussion in earnest, problem #1 is: define your god.

God is everything. I'm part of everything. Each one of us is part of everything. Combined we all make up god.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Gillipig on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Don't we have like 100 of these threads?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby kentington on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Gillipig wrote:Don't we have like 100 of these threads?

Nope only 99. Looks like we need one more mockery of gods and religions thread.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby crispybits on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

To be fair well over half of them are started by the religious themselves in an effort to prove something to us heathens
Major crispybits

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,