Conquer Club

Spartacus War Of The Dammed

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Sparticus War Of The Dammed

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 pm

It's hard to continue the beauty of the first season mostly because of the change in the plot. At this point they're not just a ragtag group of gladiators, they're a god damn army.

I love Crassus as a villain though.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:35 am

Good finale to a good series.

Gonna watch the entire series again over the summer. Will be nice to relive all the characters.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby denominator on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 am

Admittedly, I'm 2 episodes behind (just watched episode 8) but I have to say I'm disappointed with the third (fourth?) season.

The first and second followed the historical recounts of Spartacus quite well, but this third season has drifted quite far off. The main events are out of sequence (Crixus' death), and characters exist that simply never did in this context (Caesar, Tiberius Crassus). It seemed to me through season 2 and the first 3/4 episodes of season 3 they were aiming for a 4-season run, but then decided to do it in 3 so have sped everything up. Episode 8 was particularly bad with the split of Crixus and Spartacus, then Crixus is magically right at Rome and fighting the epic battle.

I can only hope they stay true to the history in the end - all historians agree that Spartacus was killed in the final battle, but his body never found.

Also, it seems clear to me that they are trying to set up a spinoff with Caesar and Crassus, and follow their rise to power in Rome and the Senate following the Third Servile War.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby gordon1975 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 pm

shit! nobody told me sparty would lose in the end!
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:54 pm

denominator wrote:Admittedly, I'm 2 episodes behind (just watched episode 8) but I have to say I'm disappointed with the third (fourth?) season.

The first and second followed the historical recounts of Spartacus quite well, but this third season has drifted quite far off. The main events are out of sequence (Crixus' death), and characters exist that simply never did in this context (Caesar, Tiberius Crassus). It seemed to me through season 2 and the first 3/4 episodes of season 3 they were aiming for a 4-season run, but then decided to do it in 3 so have sped everything up. Episode 8 was particularly bad with the split of Crixus and Spartacus, then Crixus is magically right at Rome and fighting the epic battle.

I can only hope they stay true to the history in the end - all historians agree that Spartacus was killed in the final battle, but his body never found.

Also, it seems clear to me that they are trying to set up a spinoff with Caesar and Crassus, and follow their rise to power in Rome and the Senate following the Third Servile War.

Oh come on, it's a historical drama. No series or movie has ever kept with the facts.

I enjoyed what they did with Crassus and Caesar even though it wasn't awfully accurate. Really, the only two problems I had with season 4 were (1) the change in settings and plot made it more difficult for the producers to emphasize the gladiators. Like, It seemed like all of the main gladiators (Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, Agron, etc.) were always right next to each other be it in their encampment or while in battle which just seems slightly unlikely. It just irked me a little. And (2) Naevia was a horrible actress and her character was painfully bad. I understand what they tried to do, they just didn't do it well (Naevia transitions from a sweet, passive girl to a pissed off motherfucker after they save her from the mines). I just hated, hated, hated both the new actress (first season actress was a hell of a lot better) and the character and was happy when she finally died.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby denominator on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
denominator wrote:Admittedly, I'm 2 episodes behind (just watched episode 8) but I have to say I'm disappointed with the third (fourth?) season.

Oh come on, it's a historical drama. No series or movie has ever kept with the facts.

I enjoyed what they did with Crassus and Caesar even though it wasn't awfully accurate. Really, the only two problems I had with season 4 were (1) the change in settings and plot made it more difficult for the producers to emphasize the gladiators. Like, It seemed like all of the main gladiators (Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, Agron, etc.) were always right next to each other be it in their encampment or while in battle which just seems slightly unlikely. It just irked me a little. And (2) Naevia was a horrible actress and her character was painfully bad. I understand what they tried to do, they just didn't do it well (Naevia transitions from a sweet, passive girl to a pissed off motherfucker after they save her from the mines). I just hated, hated, hated both the new actress (first season actress was a hell of a lot better) and the character and was happy when she finally died.

I would agree except that for the first 2 seasons they stayed almost spot on. The big exception being breaking out of Batiatus' house, which doesn't follow the history books at all.

As for your points - I fully agree with #2. The first chick was a much better actress and was believable in her role, but it seems they just wrote a whole new role with the same name for the new chick. As for #1, they hit a critical point in the series when it had to transition from a small band of brothers to an army, but the writers clearly weren't willing to give up the camaraderie they had enjoyed in the earlier seasons.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 am

So, I take I'm the only one who's annoyed everytime he sees this thread title misspelling Spartacus?

ok, then, carry on.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,