2/3 of Americans Believe in Conspiracy Theories

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 2/3 of Americans Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Postby AAFitz on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 am

My only information on the 2004 elections was a documentary with people going around and proving inconsistent results based on actual tallies, and videos of people throwing away ballots which was expressly illegal. Linking that to Bush himself is definitely, impossible....he cant be that dumb, but that election was a disaster.

That one documentary, stripped my faith in this country more than any other Ive ever seen.

The other was watching a video of the owner of the Trade center lease at the time, saying "pull it" and then watching the press gather round to watch the destruction of Building 7 in a classic demo configuration.

I think more realistically, after the previous attempts on the trade center, its possible the buildings were wired as an emergency action plan to prevent the deaths of up to 50000 people, but anyone saying the theory is outright crazy, without actually looking at the information, is no less crazy than a conspiracy theorist, who hasn't looked at all the information.

I have seen crazy conspiracy theorists though. I know someone who believes every single one ever invented as far as I can tell. I think its important to have those people out there vetting any possible conspiracies, but they also give them a bad name, because they are biased to believe them, and have lost any reasonable decision making skills.

I myself have always tried to not form opinions about such things, and keep an open mind about almost everything. Its not easy, because you live in a world of uncertainty, but Ive decided its better than living in a world believing in false things.
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
Lieutenant AAFitz

Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:43 am

john9blue wrote:oh btw, you're dumb if you don't think some conspiracy theories are at least plausible, if not likely.

for example, most americans (over 3/4 at one point) believe that the JFK assassination was a conspiracy rather than a lone gunman

J9B has a good point. In fairness, the survey wasn't saying that conspiracy theories are all wrong, just that - in general - people who believe the four conspiracy theories surveyed tend to be poorly informed or easily swayed by dramatic, made-for-internet documentaries with spooky music, scary shadow vignetting effects and slow motion scenes with gravely voiced narration. Low information awareness leads to practical disenfranchisement; practical disenfranchisement leads to feelings of powerlessness which humans ascribe to sinister forces beyond their control instead of admitting their own lower intellectual or cognitive abilities.

But, to J9B's point, the U.S. Congress itself has declared the JFK assassination was probably the result of a conspiracy (http://history-matters.com/archive/cont ... report.htm).
Sergeant 1st Class saxitoxin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby GeneralRisk on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:09 pm

AAFitz wrote:
The other was watching a video of the owner of the Trade center lease at the time, saying "pull it" and then watching the press gather round to watch the destruction of Building 7 in a classic demo configuration.

I think more realistically, after the previous attempts on the trade center, its possible the buildings were wired as an emergency action plan to prevent the deaths of up to 50000 people, but anyone saying the theory is outright crazy, without actually looking at the information, is no less crazy than a conspiracy theorist, who hasn't looked at all the information.

I have seen crazy conspiracy theorists though. I know someone who believes every single one ever invented as far as I can tell. I think its important to have those people out there vetting any possible conspiracies, but they also give them a bad name, because they are biased to believe them, and have lost any reasonable decision making skills.

I myself have always tried to not form opinions about such things, and keep an open mind about almost everything. Its not easy, because you live in a world of uncertainty, but Ive decided its better than living in a world believing in false things.
show: Fires Have Never Caused Skyscrapers to Collapse
Major GeneralRisk

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:14 pm

I am behind every conspiracy theory.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby _sabotage_ on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 pm

AAFitz wrote:

That's fine, they pre-wired the buildings. This would take weeks, when was it done?

Why have the only 3 videos released, out of 85, at the pentagon not show a plane, but show what appears to be a missile? The hole was too small for a plane and no major plane parts were retrieved.

How did flight 93 disappear into a hole?

Black boxes disintegrated, but a terrorist's passport survived.

Whatever, it doesn't matter, the people are dead either way, but why do we continue to allow wire-tapping, strip away due process, have secret prisons, torture, refuse to submit to war crimes tribunals and basically make ourselves hated internationally and impoverished domestically.

As for conspiracies, this is from last year:

The poll, constructed by Dartmouth government professor Benjamin Valentino and conducted by YouGov from April 26 to May 2, found that fully 63 percent of Republican respondents still believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when the U.S. invaded in 2003. By contrast, 27 percent of independents and 15 percent of Democrats shared that view.

What you may notice is that people believe what they are told.
Corporal _sabotage_

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby GeneralRisk on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:
AAFitz wrote:

That's fine, they pre-wired the buildings. This would take weeks, when was it done?

Why have the only 3 videos released, out of 85, at the pentagon not show a plane, but show what appears to be a missile? The hole was too small for a plane and no major plane parts were retrieved.

How did flight 93 disappear into a hole?

Black boxes disintegrated, but a terrorist's passport survived.

Whatever, it doesn't matter, the people are dead either way, but why do we continue to allow wire-tapping, strip away due process, have secret prisons, torture, refuse to submit to war crimes tribunals and basically make ourselves hated internationally and impoverished domestically.

As for conspiracies, this is from last year:

The poll, constructed by Dartmouth government professor Benjamin Valentino and conducted by YouGov from April 26 to May 2, found that fully 63 percent of Republican respondents still believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when the U.S. invaded in 2003. By contrast, 27 percent of independents and 15 percent of Democrats shared that view.

What you may notice is that people believe what they are told.
Last edited by GeneralRisk on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major GeneralRisk

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:What you may notice is that people believe what they are told.

And people will believe the opposite of what they are told.

Conspiracies, smiracies.

--Andy

(P.S. Everyone should meet me for our underground meeting tonight. Its in the up in treehouse.)
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm

The thing I like best about these outlandish theories is that it's the very same people who complain that the government can't do absolutely anything right that turn around and in the same breath claim the government orchestrated a conspiracy involving thousands of people without any credible evidence outside of grainy youtube videos slipping through the cracks.

Edit:

Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:40 pm

It's fascinating how the race numbers on the "probably true" field flip depending on the prez lol.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:The thing I like best about these outlandish theories is that it's the very same people who complain that the government can't do absolutely anything right that turn around and in the same breath claim the government orchestrated a conspiracy involving thousands of people without any credible evidence outside of grainy youtube videos slipping through the cracks.

Haggis, it is all ruse. The ineptitude is a ruse! Didn't you know?! Quick, lets hie to my (and by my, I mean Tom Cruise's) bunker.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:The thing I like best about these outlandish theories is that it's the very same people who complain that the government can't do absolutely anything right that turn around and in the same breath claim the government orchestrated a conspiracy involving thousands of people without any credible evidence outside of grainy youtube videos slipping through the cracks.

Haggis, it is all ruse. The ineptitude is a ruse! Didn't you know?! Quick, lets hie to my (and by my, I mean Tom Cruise's) bunker.

--Andy

It has a swimming pool at the bottom? SWEET>
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby _sabotage_ on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 pm

I never claimed they're inept, i just claim they aren't for the people and the best politician is the one who we still like even after he has fucked us as hard as the rest.
Corporal _sabotage_

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)

Postby nietzsche on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 pm

You are all missing the point.

The key here is why people like conspiracy theories, what do they remind them.

Have you read the Hero with a thousand faces?
Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 am

nietzsche wrote:You are all missing the point.

I recall seeing that book in the movie Big Fish. That's the extent of my knowledge about it. :P

Are you saying that conspiracy theorists (CTs) view themselves as the hero who will bring back the booty to others?

What role do CTs play in Campbell's monomyth?
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Maugena on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 am

john9blue wrote:
/ wrote:Why do several of those percentages add up to a 101% total?

and more importantly, why are they all integers??? the plot thickens...

Hahahaha. +1 for humour.
Scatter me into the wind, drifting for eternity, forever undone.
Blissfully through with reality's unacceptable nature and apparent being.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjzDU7V7es
New Recruit Maugena

Postby nietzsche on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

I recall seeing that book in the movie Big Fish. That's the extent of my knowledge about it. :P

Are you saying that conspiracy theorists (CTs) view themselves as the hero who will bring back the booty to others?

I'm saying that all of us have a innate tendency to believe in a myth. It's a story in the back of our minds all the time. I believe (I have no proof or scholar article) that it's somehow the origin of the tendecy we all have to believe in conspiracy theories.
Major nietzsche

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby warmonger1981 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world financial order where borders mean nothing as bankers will run everything through finance?. Henry Kissinger has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. Kissinger even said on MSNBC Obama will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka NATO and world banking court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.
Lieutenant warmonger1981

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 am

warmonger1981 wrote:Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world financial order where borders mean nothing as bankers will run everything through finance?. Henry Kissinger has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. Kissinger even said on MSNBC Obama will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka NATO and world banking court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.

Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world kitten order where borders mean nothing as youtubers will run everything through cat videos?. USAToday has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. USAToday even said in USAToday "Simon" will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka INTERNET and world cat court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 am

nietzsche wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

I'm saying that all of us have a innate tendency to believe in a myth. It's a story in the back of our minds all the time. I believe (I have no proof or scholar article) that it's somehow the origin of the tendecy we all have to believe in conspiracy theories.

There's not much mythic with conspiracy theories. It begins with, "No, X didn't happen; Y did."

(to be clear, there's a difference between Campbell's use of "myth"--as in, "epic quest," and your use of "myth"--i.e. "urban legend").
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby _sabotage_ on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

And some of us believe in investigation, which usually starts with considering means, motive and opportunity.

Some of us worry about the shock doctrine, the use of crisis to bring about change that the public doesn't necessarily want for the advantage of a few.

Some of us especially worry that knowing that a crisis will enable the desired change, for example when the 2000 report by the neocons suggest that a New Pearl Harbor would be necessary to implement the New American Century, and that one year later that crisis happens and all the changes that were suggested in the document come to pass, and those in power are the neocons, who own shares in and have close ties to defense contractors, then there seems to be a very logical progression.

When others tend to ignore all the facts and blame a person who had not the means, or opportunity to carry out a crisis and in no way benefited from it, especially when the blame is being laid by those who benefit from it, it makes me wonder why all investigative techniques have been ignored, is it simply so that you won't be asked to leave your comfort zone?
Corporal _sabotage_

Postby _sabotage_ on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/opini ... .html?_r=0

This is the official reason Bush ignored the 6 warnings of an imminent attack.

But some in the administration considered the warning to be just bluster. An intelligence official and a member of the Bush administration both told me in interviews that the neoconservative leaders who had recently assumed power at the Pentagon were warning the White House that the C.I.A. had been fooled; according to this theory, Bin Laden was merely pretending to be planning an attack to distract the administration from Saddam Hussein, whom the neoconservatives saw as a greater threat. Intelligence officials, these sources said, protested that the idea of Bin Laden, an Islamic fundamentalist, conspiring with Mr. Hussein, an Iraqi secularist, was ridiculous, but the neoconservatives’ suspicions were nevertheless carrying the day.
Corporal _sabotage_

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
warmonger1981 wrote:Anyone think

Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world kitten order where borders mean nothing as youtubers will run everything through cat videos?. USAToday has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. USAToday even said in USAToday "Simon" will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka INTERNET and world cat court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.

--Andy

I like the new Andy.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

#1, #3 and #4 are all presented in an attempt to make readers assume #2 is also a baseless conspiracy theory. (which means, I suppose, that I'm a conspiracy nut).

I got 3 of the 4 questions correct - not sure where our highest concentration of drone attacks takes place. I thought probably Afghanistan... but I'm guessing.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby nietzsche on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

There's not much mythic with conspiracy theories. It begins with, "No, X didn't happen; Y did."

(to be clear, there's a difference between Campbell's use of "myth"--as in, "epic quest," and your use of "myth"--i.e. "urban legend").

Nope, I meant it in the epic quest way.

I'm going to leave it there though, you are not ready ;)
Major nietzsche

Postby b.k. barunt on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:20 am

Maybe i'm missing something, but i'd have to say that those who believe in conspiricies are those who refuse to accept the various myths that comprise our (or anyone's) nationalistic culture.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five