2/3 of Americans Believe in Conspiracy Theories

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 2/3 of Americans Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Ah now I see.

Galileo was a conspiracy theorist. He provided people with dangerous information, according to the Church, suggested it could be witnessed with independent thinking and therefore contrary believes were of necessity those of sheep.

Glad we put him under house arrest. Too bad we didn't have control over the Mayans, Chinese, Indians and other cultures of that day. It burns my ass that those fools were allowed to promulgate such dangerous theories unchecked.

i r agree.

Luckily, Galileo is still wrong: http://www.galileowaswrong.com/galileowaswrong/ ($50.00 Luncheon! Yes!)

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby _sabotage_ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:22 pm

We should dig him up and put his ass in jail or say we shot him and buried him at sea.
Corporal _sabotage_

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm

He is buried in: Basilica di Santa Croce di Firenze, where some other famous Italian thinkers are buried, according to wikipedia, "such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile and Rossini."

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby _sabotage_ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm

So many conspiracy theorists all in one place...
Corporal _sabotage_

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)

Postby john9blue on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:34 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:i r agree.

Luckily, Galileo is still wrong: http://www.galileowaswrong.com/galileowaswrong/ ($50.00 Luncheon! Yes!)

--Andy

is it just me, or do most webpages with fringe beliefs use nothing more than basic HTML formatting? i feel like these guys made the webpage themselves because they wouldn't trust any web designer to do it for them...
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm

john9blue wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:i r agree.

--Andy

is it just me, or do most webpages with fringe beliefs use nothing more than basic HTML formatting? i feel like these guys made the webpage themselves because they wouldn't trust any web designer to do it for them...

I've had the same thought. It is always a blast from like 1992, with a starry background, no image borders, and usually glowing section dividers. Long live Geocities and the like.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Galileo was a conspiracy theorist. He provided people with dangerous information, according to the Church, suggested it could be witnessed with independent thinking and therefore contrary believes were of necessity those of sheep.

Sure. For those who consider this guy ...

... and this guy ...

... to be on equal intellectual footing, I can see that that argument certainly makes sense.
patches70 wrote:The only real difference between Saxi and The Fed is that for one to get Saxbucks one must amuse or otherwise impress Saxi in some way, shape or form.
Corporal 1st Class saxitoxin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby 2dimes on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Well, even though Galileo's videos ended up being damaged during a change over to a newer storage media. Trust me they were pretty gnarly.
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby _sabotage_ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm

I didn't know you held Alex Jones in such a high esteem, too much hot air for my liking.

So what was it? Do Al Qaeda have a united mission statement? Would other members of Al Qaeda take orders from Bin Laden? Do they pool funds? How many people could we say are Laden's boys?

Or was he just an uncle that showed up for a free Thanksgiving dinner to the other's? How was he funded? Let's get an image of the bad guy. What exactly were his means? Motive and opportunity? Is Al Qaeda like the Christian church, where millions of people are showing up at thousands of different places, having hundreds of distinct interpretations and tenets, and he was Jesus? Or was he just like a rich has been? Or are some down with us, and help us with regime change in the countries listed as evil, like the ones we gave the weapons to in Libya? Or are we like their devil and all want to destroy us? Like the ones we gave the weapons to in Libya?
Corporal _sabotage_

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Do Al Qaeda have a united mission statement? Would other members of Al Qaeda take orders from Bin Laden? Do they pool funds? How many people could we say are Laden's boys?

Out of curiosity, what kind of answer are you honestly expecting to get here? You seem to either be under the impression that I have the login code to Osama's copy of QuickBooksPro, or are insinuating that you do.

And to get the jump on where I'm sure this is headed ... absence of information does not evidence action by unseen, sinister forces.
patches70 wrote:The only real difference between Saxi and The Fed is that for one to get Saxbucks one must amuse or otherwise impress Saxi in some way, shape or form.

Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby _sabotage_ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Amazing, twelve years on and we don't know shit. We haven't got the slightest idea how much power he had or if he had any way to carry it out, and yet are so confident it was him. We don't know what Al Qaeda is, or even if they are with us or against us. Just bang, bang and a picture of his damn face with a story to go with it. A mutating story that somehow always ends with fear mongering and and interventionism.

But what if there were another set of folks, who had clearly shown that the result is something that would have furthered their plans? Who had the means, motive and opportunity to a greater extent than some guy in a cave. We definitely have not conclusively confirmed by any means that 9/11 was orchestrated by Bin Laden, and yet for some reason it's always been a closed case.
Corporal _sabotage_

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Amazing, twelve years on and we don't know shit. We haven't got the slightest idea how much power he had or if he had any way to carry it out, and yet are so confident it was him. We don't know what Al Qaeda is, or even if they are with us or against us. Just bang, bang and a picture of his damn face with a story to go with it. A mutating story that somehow always ends with fear mongering and and interventionism.

But what if there were another set of folks, who had clearly shown that the result is something that would have furthered their plans? Who had the means, motive and opportunity to a greater extent than some guy in a cave. We definitely have not conclusively confirmed by any means that 9/11 was orchestrated by Bin Laden, and yet for some reason it's always been a closed case.

I've never said it's been "conclusively confirmed by any means that 9/11 was orchestrated by Bin Laden."

The lack of total information on any subject isn't proof of the influence of sinister forces working in the shadows.

- I don't believe the lack of conclusive confirmation about 9/11 is proof George Bush knew in advance. You do.

- I don't believe the fact a Giant Squid hasn't been photographed alive is proof George Bush has secretly killed all the world's giant squids. You may.

- I don't believe the fact I don't know what restaurant my g/f Esmerelda went to with her friends last night is proof she was out banging George Bush. You may.

Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby _sabotage_ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:40 pm

If we don't have real evidence it was these guys,why do we just keep letting another set of guys not only hold them over us, but other countries with our backing? The exchange is just a loss of freedom and an economy for us and a gain of money and power for them.

Every US soldier I've met has been pretty gung ho, they have the best equipment in the world, our surveillance equipment is as good as it gets, we offer the highest bounties, plus we have the most expensive investigative branches in the world at home, and we don't know shit.

We have to do freedom of information acts to get any sight of a piece of evidence that might exist, let alone those that tie any of those there to the act. Serial numbers that confirm wreckage was the planes, video tape of the terrorists getting on at the various airports, video footage of flight 77 hitting the Pentagon, they all result in nothing to confirm anything. They could have put any faces up there for all the evidence we have been shown. We dropped the ball that day, but the pieces are still there to examine, and yet we haven't.

If we can't confirm the story, we have to at some point see if there is one that fits better. The art of science is the story that fits all the pieces best until we get new pieces to work with. They had most of the pieces disposed of immediately in New York, when asked about the plane at the Pentagon, they reported it vaporized. When it was proven impossible, they said, no they have it in a warehouse. Can we have confirmation by serial number? Nope. How about any of videos. Well no plane was seen in them. I see.

Is there something so destructive to our war on terror for us to see the serial number on a plane whose blackbox doesn't make a lot of sense, played a magic trick on the cameras and confounded all of our defenses protecting the most restricted airspace in the world with an hour's heads up?
Corporal _sabotage_

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:If we don't have real evidence it was these guys,why do we just keep letting another set of guys not only hold them over us, but other countries with our backing? The exchange is just a loss of freedom and an economy for us and a gain of money and power for them.

I hardly think there's anyone who has been more critical of the U.S./NATO on this board than me.

Nonetheless, I subscribe to a rational worldview in which the lack of total information on any particular subject isn't proof of anything other than a lack of total information.

Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 pm

GeneralRisk wrote:95% of Americans are sheeple

Lieutenant Metsfanmax
Head Thinker
Head Thinker

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?