Conquer Club

Sports Fans

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Sports Fans

Postby xeno on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:39 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
xeno wrote:On a related note has anyone noticed how unwatchable sports nation has become since cowherd and beadle left? I'm HATING Marcellus Wiley he's garbage as an anchor

Um, no, I haven't.

Ohh yeah my bad this is the thread where the nerdy unatheletic virgins are picking on sports fans. Why don't y'all cry my a river that you were picked last for kickball and pelted in the face by dodge balls in grammar school
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:45 am

xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
xeno wrote:On a related note has anyone noticed how unwatchable sports nation has become since cowherd and beadle left? I'm HATING Marcellus Wiley he's garbage as an anchor

Um, no, I haven't.

Ohh yeah my bad this is the thread where the nerdy unatheletic virgins are picking on sports fans. Why don't y'all cry my a river that you were picked last for kickball and pelted in the face by dodge balls in grammar school

Haha, I've played and excelled at sports my whole life, shows what you know. :lol:
Thing is I don't watch an inordinate amount, especially if I've got the alternative of actually playing them.
I think what you are describing is a Jock Sniffer...
They tend to compensate by watching a lot and following teams which gives the illusion that they are actually athletic.
I've known athletes and I've known Jock Sniffers, the latter seems to become exceedingly more fanatical about pro sports teams while the former seems to feel more or less equal to the players and tends to idolize the players a little less. This probably takes a little of the fun out of the experience of watching, not to mention creates an itch to play more than anything.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby xeno on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:56 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

Um, no, I haven't.

Haha, I've played and excelled at sports my whole life, shows what you know. :lol:
Thing is I don't watch an inordinate amount, especially if I've got the alternative of actually playing them.
They tend to compensate by watching a lot and following teams which gives the illusion that they are actually athletic.
I've known athletes and I've known Jock Sniffers, the latter seems to become exceedingly more fanatical about pro sports teams while the former seems to feel more or less equal to the players and tends to idolize the players a little less. This probably takes a little of the fun out of the experience of watching, not to mention creates an itch to play more than anything.

Im familiar with the term. Trust me I'm no jock stripper or whatever ft. I've played sports until I tore my rotators cup, groin, and pectoral before I figured marching band was for me where oh yeah we're required to go to all sports games and basically play music and scout athletes
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 am

xeno wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

Um, no, I haven't.

Im familiar with the term. Trust me I'm no jock stripper or whatever ft. I've played sports until I tore my rotators cup, groin, and pectoral before I figured marching band was for me where oh yeah we're required to go to all sports games and basically play music and scout athletes

Jock stripper lol, yeah this is more or less in good fun xeno. If you say you're not a jock stripper, or sniffer for that matter, I believe you. It sounds like you tend to watch because you wrecked yourself a little bit, which happens, and is a completely different story.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby xeno on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:35 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
xeno wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

Um, no, I haven't.

Jock stripper lol, yeah this is more or less in good fun xeno. If you say you're not a jock stripper, or sniffer for that matter, I believe you. It sounds like you tend to watch because you wrecked yourself a little bit, which happens, and is a completely different story.
i had no chance at the pro level of any sport other than maybe baseball by any stretch of the imagination, threw my arm out at an early age throwing curves and sliders
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:02 am

xeno wrote:i had no chance at the pro level of any sport other than maybe baseball by any stretch of the imagination, threw my arm out at an early age throwing curves and sliders

I think this is pretty common; the same thing happened to my grandfather but before that he was quite the star. I think that's an aspect to sports that can be overlooked: you can be an excellent player but like xeno's stash, every joint's days are numbered. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby xeno on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:14 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
xeno wrote:i had no chance at the pro level of any sport other than maybe baseball by any stretch of the imagination, threw my arm out at an early age throwing curves and sliders

I think this is pretty common; the same thing happened to my grandfather but before that he was quite the star. I think that's an aspect to sports that can be overlooked: you can be an excellent player but like xeno's stash, every joint's days are numbered. ;)

Ask grant hill
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby AAFitz on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:03 am

xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

Um, no, I haven't.

No, washed up athletes who will spend their whole life pretending they were going to go pro are welcome too.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:21 am

xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

Um, no, I haven't.

No, this is the thread where some people said "I'm not very interested in sports, why are some people so fanatic about it?" and a sports fan came along and asked if we'd noticed how some sport program was not as good as it used to be. And one of the people who aren't interested in sports admitted that no, he hadn't. That's because I don't watch it. I probably couldn't even find it on my TV, and (shocking as this may sound) I have no idea who cowherd and beadle are/were, nor Marcellus Wiley.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby xeno on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 am

AAFitz wrote:
xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

Um, no, I haven't.

No, washed up athletes who will spend their whole life pretending they were going to go pro are welcome too.

While you're busy telling me about my life why don't you also tell me what I'm having for lunch tomorrow
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm

AAFitz wrote:No, washed up athletes who will spend their whole life pretending they were going to go pro are welcome too.

In defense of washed-up athletes at least they were contenders at some point and can appreciate the game from this position. In other words, they are automatically excluded from the jock sniffing group and are more apt to take in the game from a less distorted angle(not idol worship).
Colonel Funkyterrance

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,