Conquer Club

Sports Fans

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Sports Fans

Postby b.k. barunt on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:29 pm

I seem to be missing that crucial element of the human psyche that causes inordinate fascination with watching someone else play a game. WTF? Am i the only one? Is no one else out there dumbfounded by this incredibly boring social phenomenon?

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Re: Sports Fans

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Never understood the attraction either.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby b.k. barunt on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm

I have a family member who was a star football player for LSU. He liked my nonsportsfan attitude and referred to the rabid LSU fans as "jock sniffers". LOL.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby Lootifer on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Physical activity is just the manifestation. Competition is the key element.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Simple entertainment and another reason to get wasted?
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Crazyirishman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm

I think that part of it is watching somebody do something that you yourself cannot do, or do it much better than you ever could is appealing. I mean you can see that type of situation play out with children, some like watching others play the game instead of playing it themselves. Possessing a certain level of apathy can exclude you from this I guess. I agree some people take it too far when they paint themselves and dress up and shit like that, but not everybody falls into that category.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby b.k. barunt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:02 am

Lootifer wrote:Physical activity is just the manifestation. Competition is the key element.

I prefer to compete myself, rather than watch someone else compete. I'm unable to play football now or any sport that involves running, but hell, any game - cards, risk, etc. - is better than watching someone else play, unless unless of course i know one or more of the players personally. As far as another excuse to have a good time or party, as MTG said, i'd much rather have a good time doing something with my friends like the poker tournament we had last night. Getting vicarious thrills from someone else's achievements is boring and shallow when it becomes a more than occasional pastime. Just sayin . . .

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:17 am

I can watch a certain amount of poker on tv - when you can see all the hands, it's quite the learning experience.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby b.k. barunt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 am

Actually thats the one game i do enjoy watching. As you said, it's a learning experience and anyone else i know that watches it does so for the learning experience. It improves your own game. Quite different from the jock sniffers and their fascination with televised sports.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 am

It's all about attaching one's ego to a team/player. Most sports fans played the sports themselves at some point(or were at least actively involved) but when they turn into slobs there's only one way to fill the void(see: first sentence of this post).
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:28 am

I'm drunk so this probably won't be as intelligent or decipherable as I want it to be, but what-the-fuck-ever:

I watch it because of the homoeroticism

I don't know brah. I've played sports my whole life and just enjoy watching the best of the best do their job at it. I imagine it's like an aspiring artist look at a Picasso painting.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 am

b.k. barunt wrote:Actually thats the one game i do enjoy watching. As you said, it's a learning experience and anyone else i know that watches it does so for the learning experience. It improves your own game. Quite different from the jock sniffers and their fascination with televised sports.

Honibaz

This is arguably true for me too though.

I play rugby in college at the moment but still play soccer, football and basketball either in leagues or informally. I pick up things I learn from these sports and use them.

In the end (I hate to say it) but FT is right, it does feed my ego one way or another. But seriously, if you're a guy and not trying to feed your own ego, you're a piece of shit liar. Or a Prussian.

Seriously, f*ck the Prussians.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 am

Army of GOD wrote:I don't know brah. I've played sports my whole life and just enjoy watching the best of the best do their job at it. I imagine it's like an aspiring artist look at a Picasso painting.

Yeah, sucking at sports may be another motivator to attaching your ego to a pro sports team.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 am

For many, it's a superior substitute to religion, and it compliments those good 'ol nationalist sentiments.

For some, it's a great way to fall asleep.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby b.k. barunt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:For many, it's a superior substitute to religion,

Interesting observation. I'd have to substitute "church" for "religion" though - the parallels there would be much more consistent and the variables much less.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby Lootifer on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:41 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:and it compliments those good 'ol nationalist sentiments.

Yeh f*ck loyalty in any form!
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I get some entertainment value out of watching sports. I think there is a semblance of "nationality" as BBS puts it with having a team that you root for. I root for teams rather than individual players, so I'm not sure the "jock sniffer" characterization is apt for 75% of sports fans.

I can't explain it any better than that. I will say I enjoy playing sports more than watching sports.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Lootifer on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Another part of it is admiring physical excellence. Having experience with a number of different sports I can appreciate the skill involved (and the required training).

10000 hours etc.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby b.k. barunt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Lootifer wrote:Another part of it is admiring physical excellence. Having experience with a number of different sports I can appreciate the skill involved (and the required training).

10000 hours etc.

I admire physical excellence and training, but that doesn't mean i'm going to give a couple hours a week or more getting vicarious thrills from someone else's achievements. I think BBS hit it with the religion thing. Jock sniffing is about as good an example of mob mentality as you're going to get. Avid jock sniffers feed off of each other's energy, which is why they'd much rather watch a live game even though the visual is actually better at home on the TV. Jock sniffers get minimal pleasure from their sniffing if they have to do it alone. Super Bowl party anyone?

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Lootifer wrote:Another part of it is admiring physical excellence. Having experience with a number of different sports I can appreciate the skill involved (and the required training).

10000 hours etc.

Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:27 pm

b.k. barunt wrote:

10000 hours etc.

I admire physical excellence and training, but that doesn't mean i'm going to give a couple hours a week or more getting vicarious thrills from someone else's achievements. I think BBS hit it with the religion thing. Jock sniffing is about as good an example of mob mentality as you're going to get. Avid jock sniffers feed off of each other's energy, which is why they'd much rather watch a live game even though the visual is actually better at home on the TV. Jock sniffers get minimal pleasure from their sniffing if they have to do it alone. Super Bowl party anyone?

Honibaz

I prefer to watch alone actually. Does that make me weirder?
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

So Aog is a major league jock sniffer eh? :lol:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Lootifer on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

b.k. barunt wrote:I admire physical excellence and training, but that doesn't mean i'm going to give a couple hours a week or more getting vicarious thrills from someone else's achievements.

Cool, why scorn others for having a different attitude though?

I think BBS hit it with the religion thing.

I assumed the religion thing was a joke. There is nothing similar between a philosophical belief and loyalty to/admiration of a sports person or team.

Jock sniffing is about as good an example of mob mentality as you're going to get. Avid jock sniffers feed off of each other's energy, which is why they'd much rather watch a live game even though the visual is actually better at home on the TV. Jock sniffers get minimal pleasure from their sniffing if they have to do it alone. Super Bowl party anyone?

Good one. As an agnostic, would it be even remotely rational for me to try and explain why christians go to church? (without first researching or prior knowledge of course).
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby 2dimes on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Well if you're not into spending the time to "research or participate" BK just gave it away. People go to church for the exact same reason some go to a venue to watch their favorite sports teams. In fact many people go to both.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Also, in my defense, I admit there are times were I get very existential about following pro sports. Why should I care about a competition in which I have no part in changing the outcome?

Then I jerk off and fall asleep.

I could see the analogy to religion being true but as an agnostic, apatheistic atheist I don't really care about it. Religion isn't innately bad, only a portion of the religious are evil. Similarly to how most sports fans are mild while some stab each other after sporting events in the parking lot.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,