Accidental Strawmen

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby crispybits on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Lies! god made them!

User avatar
Major crispybits
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (9)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Excellent, Gentlemen. Keep up the Hi-Quality work!
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby tzor on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Dukasaur wrote:


One of my most favorite songs ... because they mention the almost extinct "Long Island Potato."

(The near extinction of the Long Island Potato occurred when some chap in Idaho came up with a packaging method that allowed you to see the potatoes. While the great potatoes of the Hampton's were great tasting, they didn't have the looks of an Idaho potato. Potato farms declined in the 20th century. Fortunately, there a few left ... and we now make vodka from them!)
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby Neoteny on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Fascinating. And I'm not being a dick. I now want a Long Island potato and its associated vodka.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Neoteny
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby tzor on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 pm

I should preface this by pointing out that I just had a nice meal of fresh Chorizo, yellow rice, and plantains, the bigger brother of the banana.

So what is a banana? It is many things. It is the principle ingredient for the Yonannas frozen fun device. But I like to think of it as a cold vegetarian hot dog. Put it on a hot dog bun with a little mayonnaise and a few spices (garam marsala is nice) and it's great!
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Me too. You can bring them when you come to see As You Like It on May 12th... you know you want to bring a birthday present.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby tzor on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Neoteny wrote:Fascinating. And I'm not being a dick. I now want a Long Island potato and its associated vodka.


Go HERE
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Exhibit #2
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=186219#p4070037

AAFitz wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:The risk of Chinese spies, yo. [and] You're married to a 17 month old?


Obviously BBS was suggesting your wife was the terrorist in the situation, and to some degree he is right, because it wouldn't be the first time unfortunately, but he is also insanely hypocritical on this because its an example of Government probably going too far, which he usually is against, but instead abandons that because of a personal bias against you. There will be an arrogant answer about how he was right on this occasion as he is right in every instance that he ever posts, which is unfortunate, because it makes every post suspect of bias.




Image
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Accidental Strawmen

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
/ wrote:If people become aware of these so called "fallacies", they will feel the need to point them out, this will undoubtedly result in arguments.
BBS, why do you want people to fight?

Let's assume your Serious Business.

The underlined is not the only outcome, and people can learn the proper art of argument over time--as crispybits mentions. From conflict comes better coordination.

I'm just wondering if people realize how emotionally susceptible they are to creating strawman fallacies.


I've probably done this. I feel like when I do get this mindset it's because I feel more passionately about the new argument I've developed than the one currently on the table, not because I feel like I'm losing the argument or whatever. In other words, I've moved on. Selfish I know but I don't think I do it consciously.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)


Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2dimes, mrswdk

Login