Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Yes
4
19%
Maybe
5
24%
No
5
24%
Agnostism FTW
1
5%
Just kittens
6
29%
 
Total votes : 21

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby nietzsche on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:That's a good point. Tarantino increasingly tries to compensate for lack of talent with controversial subjects/themes. All his stuff is so cheap and obvious but it caters to the masses and therefore popular and sells.



WUT????
Image

Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:That's a good point. Tarantino increasingly tries to compensate for lack of talent with controversial subjects/themes. All his stuff is so cheap and obvious but it caters to the masses and therefore popular and sells.



Image


Get out.

BMO
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 7220
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 am
Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I've always thought he just really likes black and asian culture and stuff that Neoteny said, basically. In Pulp Fiction, you'll notice that Bonnie (Q.T.'s character's wife) is black.

I remember an interview where he's questioned (indirectly by Spike Lee, I think) about using "nigger" in pretty much every film, and his obsession with it. He says something along the lines that as a writer he should be able to write the characters how they are, and not be limited because he's white, and that limiting him because he's white is the heart of racism.

-TG


Image



(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)

Cop out.
I used to watch a f***load of movies and my standard may be higher than the average person but if it looks like cheese and it smells like cheese...

Image
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)

Cop out.
I used to watch a f***load of movies and my standard may be higher than the average person but if it looks like cheese and it smells like cheese...

Image


And Die Hard 4 was teh best, amirite?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:And Die Hard 4 was teh best, amirite?

Remind me not to come over your house for popcorn& a movie BBS.

Imho most of the better films were made before I was born and the better directors are either washed up or dead. I'm a pretty big Roman Polanski fan but even he has started to lose his touch. Tarantino may look ok when compared to his current peers but his stuff just isn't very enriching or enjoyable imho. To me I suppose his try-hardness overrides anything quality he might try to produce.
I'm sorry but I'm just not capable of altering my taste buds simply because there's nothing but leftovers and pre-packaged shit to choose from.

Image
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:And Die Hard 4 was teh best, amirite?

Remind me not to come over your house for popcorn& a movie BBS.

Imho most of the better films were made before I was born and the better directors are either washed up or dead. I'm a pretty big Roman Polanski fan but even he has started to lose his touch. Tarantino may look ok when compared to his current peers but he's just not very interesting imho.
I'm sorry but I'm just not capable of altering my taste buds simply because there's nothing but leftovers and pre-packaged shit to choose from.

Image


If you don't like your leftovers, I suggest starting with a cook book. You'll learn how to improvise with experience.

Perhaps some may be turned off by Tarantino because he tends to "rip-off" (or rather "sample") from older films, which in my opinion, is great--but not everyone likes scratching, turntabling, and all that.

<dons a fancy hat, holds a glass of red wine> What would you say are Roman Polanski's three best films?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby kentington on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am

I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.
Are any of them clean? By that I mean no nudity?
Language doesn't bother, although I love the way French sounds.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
User avatar
Sergeant kentington
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

kentington wrote:I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.
Are any of them clean? By that I mean no nudity?
Language doesn't bother, although I love the way French sounds.


I could be wrong but I don't think Tarantino shows a single nipple.

Also I'm sort of disappointed he didn't make a rumored movie about the Vega brothers (Vincent from Pulp and Vick from Resevoir). That would've rocked my socks.
CURRENCY CONVERSION: 1 SaxBucks = .02 AoGRubles

To redeem AoGRubles, write on AoG's wall with order.
Menu:
-1 nietzsche dickpic: 1 AoGRuble
-1 AoG dickpic: 100 AoGRubles
-1 "AoG is awesome!" t-shirt: 500 AoGRubles
User avatar
Cook Army of GOD
 
Posts: 5117
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Over the river and through the woods
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby kentington on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 am

Army of GOD wrote:
kentington wrote:I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.
Are any of them clean? By that I mean no nudity?
Language doesn't bother, although I love the way French sounds.


I could be wrong but I don't think Tarantino shows a single nipple.

Also I'm sort of disappointed he didn't make a rumored movie about the Vega brothers (Vincent from Pulp and Vick from Resevoir). That would've rocked my socks.


That would be cool. Then I could probably get some jokes and references I have been missing out on.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
User avatar
Sergeant kentington
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

Watch all of his movies (that he directed) but Death Proof and Four Rooms. Everyone should watch Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction at least once.
CURRENCY CONVERSION: 1 SaxBucks = .02 AoGRubles

To redeem AoGRubles, write on AoG's wall with order.
Menu:
-1 nietzsche dickpic: 1 AoGRuble
-1 AoG dickpic: 100 AoGRubles
-1 "AoG is awesome!" t-shirt: 500 AoGRubles
User avatar
Cook Army of GOD
 
Posts: 5117
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Over the river and through the woods
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby nietzsche on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:13 am

kentington wrote:I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.
Are any of them clean? By that I mean no nudity?
Language doesn't bother, although I love the way French sounds.


Pulp Fiction is a classic. I cannot believe you haven't seen it.

I ask for kentington to be removed of his moderator duties until he has watched it.
Image

Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
<dons a fancy hat, holds a glass of red wine> What would you say are Roman Polanski's three best films?


My level of appreciation for Roman Polanski's films is not merely based on their subtlety and moving nature but in his ability to create, in my opinion, a flawless movie. This requires such a level of artistic vision, chiseling of the film-making process, depth of subject, and a sense of balance, in all areas, that only a truly gifted master of one's craft can obtain it. To make films of this caliber requires an incredible amount of energy combined with natural genius. This is all coming from someone who is extremely critical of cinema, among other things. *wink*
You're causing me to make the difficult choice of only three movies so I will choose on the basis of my own pure enjoyment and their qualification for "flawlessness", in my not-so-humble opinion.

Rosemary's Baby
Chinatown
The 9th Gate (I'm aware this is not a traditional choice, as is not Rosemary's baby, but I feel they are both underrated due to their incorrectly perceived genres. These movies are flawless)
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 am

Army of GOD wrote:Watch all of his movies (that he directed) but Death Proof and Four Rooms. Everyone should watch Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction at least once.


I liked Four Rooms...

BBS wrote:(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)


No, I don't believe he does.

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:43 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
<dons a fancy hat, holds a glass of red wine> What would you say are Roman Polanski's three best films?


My level of appreciation for Roman Polanski's films is not merely based on their subtlety and moving nature but in his ability to create, in my opinion, a flawless movie. This requires such a level of artistic vision, chiseling of the film-making process, depth of subject, and a sense of balance, in all areas, that only a truly gifted master of one's craft can obtain it. To make films of this caliber requires an incredible amount of energy combined with natural genius. This is all coming from someone who is extremely critical of cinema, among other things. *wink*


Oh, you're talking about this kind of caliber, right?


Image
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DoomYoshi and 2 guests

Login