Conquer Club

Taking of public property by private entities

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Taking of public property by private entities

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Impossible, not just difficult, but impossible.

Oh for f*ck's sake, it's not impossible. It may be impossible for fracking (we won't know), but it's not impossible. Stop it.

Prove it.
There are several problems with your claim.
First, the chemicals used in fracking are not even identified fully, but what we do know of are things we cannot currently remove from either water or soil.

The impact of running so many vehicles over land presses it down, flattens it and removes the various bacteria and other micro flora/fauna necessary for productive soil. We know enough to know that complex exists, but not enough to know how to fully recreate it. That is why some sections of the Allegheny are still denuded, still not restored over 80 years. The impact there was heavy chemical burning.. not actually as long lasting as the chemical impact we see from fracking.

The area involved here is so extensive there is very little of the forest not impacted. Even the so-called "wilderness" areas are impacted. Deer can adapt somewhat. (its one reaons some biologist disparage them as "rats of the forest") Other species not so much. The Allegheny is home to several endangered and threatened species. In the East, there just are not a lot of large forested areas left, so the Allegheny is ecologically significant.

I can go on, but the point is you don't really want to bother getting a degree in ecology or any related natural resources field. That's fine, but you should be listening to folks who have them.

I am working on the rest of your post, but the above is the fundamental flaw in your assertions.

Sounds like a lot. So, what are the benefits and costs of this compared to the opportunity cost (i.e. not using the land for anything industrial/business)?
Why do you concentrate only on industrial business? Why do you assume those are the only things with value or that matter?

I'm not. I don't. Economics isn't just about "industrial business" nor does using economics imply that the user believes "industrial business = the only things with value or that matter."

I'm just wondering how you compare prices* here. You know the important question: "compared to what?"

(*in relation to differing marginal benefits and marginal costs)

You act like you know economics, so surely you can address this in a clear-headed fashion, right?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,