History Channel: "The Bible"

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: History Channel: "The Bible"

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:56 pm

patches70 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Funny (to me) aside - My mother watches the Bible religiously (pun intended) but won't watch Vikings because it is "too violent." I laughed in her face.

ha ha, you should tell your mother that the vikings were never conquered through force of arms. They were defeated and integrated when they were converted to Christianity. For the most part I think. They went around hacking and looting and killing and in the end it was bowing before the cross that finally allowed them to be absorbed. A somewhat ignominious and anti climactic end I should think.

I just don't understand how my mom can't see the irony. She's usually pretty intelligent. The Old Testament was highly violent.
Sergeant thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby patches70 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:51 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
patches70 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Funny (to me) aside - My mother watches the Bible religiously (pun intended) but won't watch Vikings because it is "too violent." I laughed in her face.

ha ha, you should tell your mother that the vikings were never conquered through force of arms. They were defeated and integrated when they were converted to Christianity. For the most part I think. They went around hacking and looting and killing and in the end it was bowing before the cross that finally allowed them to be absorbed. A somewhat ignominious and anti climactic end I should think.

I just don't understand how my mom can't see the irony. She's usually pretty intelligent. The Old Testament was highly violent.

Ya, lots of gnashing of teeth and such.

And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.
Corporal patches70

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Gillipig on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:20 am

patches70 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Nope, you should re-read your history, (just don't take your sources from the history channel) the Vikings were never defeated on home ground. No Christian nation colonized Scandinavia and forced the Vikings to adopt Christianity. They lost their invasion of England in Hastings in 1066, but they didn't lose their home country just because they lost an invasion. In similar ways that Britain didn't disolve when it lost it's colonies in Africa. What happened was that the Scandinavian countries one after one choosed to adopt Christianity. They saw how much more power they could get over their own people if they made Christianity their state religion, and they would get better trade deals with other Christian nations if they were to convert.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Ray Rider on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Image

Wait a second, are you saying Obama is the devil??! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT ALL ALONG!!

lol jk, seriously though, it's a pretty funny coincidence.

Back on topic, I watched a bit of one episode of The Bible a couple days ago and I can see why the series is so popular (it even had more viewers than American Idol on its opening night). The series is actually fairly well done, especially when you compare it to the cheesy movies that a lot of Christian/conservative organizations produce. It'll be interesting to see if the series will be translated and broadcast around the world like the Jesus film from the 80s. Last I heard, that movie has been translated into over 1000 languages and counting.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Maugena on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 am

Ray Rider wrote:Wait a second, are you saying Obama is the devil??! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT ALL ALONG!!

lol jk, seriously though, it's a pretty funny coincidence.

Back on topic, I watched a bit of one episode of The Bible a couple days ago and I can see why the series is so popular (it even had more viewers than American Idol on its opening night). The series is actually fairly well done, especially when you compare it to the cheesy movies that a lot of Christian/conservative organizations produce. It'll be interesting to see if the series will be translated and broadcast around the world like the Jesus film from the 80s. Last I heard, that movie has been translated into over 1000 languages and counting.

Yeah, I actually found about about the series because Bill Maher made a post about the devil character's similarity to Barack Obama.
I looked into it and I'd say it's pretty much completely coincidental.
Scatter me into the wind, drifting for eternity, forever undone.
Blissfully through with reality's unacceptable nature and apparent being.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjzDU7V7es
New Recruit Maugena

Postby MegaProphet on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:27 am

I prefer to see a show like The Bible to the myriad of reality shows currently on the history channel. I'm enjoying it though I think the History Channel has covered the material better in past shows like Battles BC and Banned from the Bible. I'd love in the future if they covered more religious texts from a historical or military perspective
Corporal 1st Class MegaProphet

Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1)

Postby chang50 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 am

Gillipig wrote:
patches70 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Nope, you should re-read your history, (just don't take your sources from the history channel) the Vikings were never defeated on home ground. No Christian nation colonized Scandinavia and forced the Vikings to adopt Christianity. They lost their invasion of England in Hastings in 1066, but they didn't lose their home country just because they lost an invasion. In similar ways that Britain didn't disolve when it lost it's colonies in Africa. What happened was that the Scandinavian countries one after one choosed to adopt Christianity. They saw how much more power they could get over their own people if they made Christianity their state religion, and they would get better trade deals with other Christian nations if they were to convert.

Not exactly true,the Normans who won in 1066 were ironically descendants of Norsemen and they defeated Anglo-Saxons.The Viking kings like Canute and his sons had been displaced earlier by the Anglo Saxons.
Captain chang50

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 am

I think the reference is to Stamford Bridge, not Hastings.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Corporal 1st Class jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby chang50 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:37 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I think the reference is to Stamford Bridge, not Hastings.

Except he specifically mentions Hastings,where the Anglo Saxon king Harold Godwin was defeated who succeeded Edward the Confessor another Anglo Saxon who succeeded the last Viking king Hardicanute 24 years before 1066.
Captain chang50

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 am

Ray Rider wrote:lol jk, seriously though, it's a pretty funny coincidence.

You seriously think this is "just a cooincidence"?
Apparently you have not visited many conservative Christian or right wing sites lately. According to many, Obama IS Satan.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:

Apparently you have not visited many conservative Christian or right wing sites lately. According to many, Obama IS Satan.

The creators of the show put out a statement using the term "ludicrous," I believe, in reference to people like Player and Juan who think the actor was chosen based upon his resemblance to the president. I also don't think the accomplished actor would appreciate the racist undertones of the accusation.
Sergeant thegreekdog

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 am

thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

The creators of the show put out a statement using the term "ludicrous," I believe, in reference to people like Player and Juan who think the actor was chosen based upon his resemblance to the president. I also don't think the accomplished actor would appreciate the racist undertones of the accusation.

Yeah, and of course people never, ever lie to themselves about such things... and not sure I mentioned race. So, rather a jump on your part.. there.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 am

The shows head producers are actually conservative Christians who made a show about the Bible's version of history on a supposedly educational channel about real history.
Makes you think... "are these the most trustworthy of people?"

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Yeah, and of course people never, ever lie to themselves about such things... and not sure I mentioned race. So, rather a jump on your part.. there.

Not sure I did anything wrong except post a picture.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 pm

chang50 wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:I think the reference is to Stamford Bridge, not Hastings.

Except he specifically mentions Hastings,where the Anglo Saxon king Harold Godwin was defeated who succeeded Edward the Confessor another Anglo Saxon who succeeded the last Viking king Hardicanute 24 years before 1066.

Oh good point. On re-reading you are correct. The Normans were more viking than the Saxons, true.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Corporal 1st Class jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby warmonger1981 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 pm

From what I've heard the guy has played satan in numerous other projects. Dont know if it is true or not.
Lieutenant warmonger1981

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12)

Postby Maugena on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

Yes, his resemblance to Obama is... just about non-existent, sorry.
It's just how he's portrayed in the show that makes him vaguely appear like Obama.
Perhaps it was intentional, perhaps it wasn't, but based on his history in the film industry and how he looks normally, I'd call this a coincidence.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0653405/
Scatter me into the wind, drifting for eternity, forever undone.
Blissfully through with reality's unacceptable nature and apparent being.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjzDU7V7es
New Recruit Maugena

Postby Ray Rider on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

Jesus finds that hilarious:
Although History raised eyebrows for the controversial casting of a President Obama-esque Satan in The Bible mini-series, the actor who plays Jesus calls the situation "hilarious."
our editor recommends

"I don't think that's controversial at all, I think that's so funny," Diogo Morgado told The Hollywood Reporter. "It's just funny."

Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni, who plays the devil, "did a nice job and it was awesome and never -- not even for one second -- were we even thinking about that, so I think it's hilarious," said Morgado. "At the same time, I think it's just a sign of how successful the show is" because people are paying attention to "silly things."

lol sorry, I couldn't resist.

Juan_Bottom wrote:The shows head producers are actually conservative Christians who made a show about the Bible's version of history on a supposedly educational channel about real history.
Makes you think... "are these the most trustworthy of people?"

Meh, I don't see any problem with a history channel producing a series dramatizing one of the most influential books in history. Besides, 2.2 billion people around the globe either consider it to be a historical book or at least contain sections of historical narrative (and that's not including the Jews who believe the Old Testament and the Muslims who also believe parts of it). I'm curious to see if this series will become as popular as the old Jesus film from the early 80s. Last I heard, that one had been translated into over 1000 languages and counting.

I was reading a bit about the series and I guess on opening night it garnered the largest cable-television audience of 2013 so far, even beating American Idol. I bought the first two episodes on iTunes to check it out for myself, and of course it's easy to criticize parts--for example the CGI effects could've been better, costumes more realistic (not brand new clothing), and more culturally realistic characters (darker skinned, more like the Arabs of today)--however I would say the series is pretty good, especially when compared to a lot of the cheesy movies that conservative/Christian organizations produce. I'll definitely buy the whole series when it's released on DVD.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:58 am

Vikings is much better.

Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

warmonger1981 wrote:From what I've heard the guy has played satan in numerous other projects. Dont know if it is true or not.

Satan always gets good, continuous work I hear.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby MegaProphet on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Symmetry wrote:Vikings is much better.

Agreed
Corporal 1st Class MegaProphet

Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five